Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9
Author: Subject: And we are in La Paz! May 2014
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 02:01 PM

It's on Rosales between Altamirano y Gomez Farias. Roast their own goat - best birria in town.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 04:18 PM

Good afternoon all....quiet day today as Les was with some amigos who had to visit dentists and immigration and other fun stuff. I went to the English class at the orphanage, but alas, I forgot my ipad for photos.

So, here we have the tile floor at Got Baja?

Here we have the packed to the gills with people malecon last night with a soecial native Aztec dance show

And lastly, enjoying a pizza with old and new amigos at Tony's last night! We had the House Special and it did not disappoint:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 04:20 PM

How is Les feeling?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 06:45 AM

Going out to check up on real estate today...just because you never know what you might find.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 08:06 AM

Sure is a lot larger store than the one in Todos Santos!

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Good afternoon all....quiet day today as Les was with some amigos who had to visit dentists and immigration and other fun stuff. I went to the English class at the orphanage, but alas, I forgot my ipad for photos.

So, here we have the tile floor at Got Baja?

Here we have the packed to the gills with people malecon last night with a soecial native Aztec dance show

And lastly, enjoying a pizza with old and new amigos at Tony's last night! We had the House Special and it did not disappoint:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 08:10 AM

I have no idea where the house is...I was driving around one day, and saw the house with every whirligig known to mankind in the front yard.
It was a breezy day, and they were all in motion.
The best I can tell you is that the house is west of the Marina and long before you get to the Home Depot.

Quote:
Now I gotta find the house with 50 of them ..... Mission of the week.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I see Jesse took out the bone marrow. It was out of this world!

Actually, we have not seen Jesus Chavez AKA Jesse working at the restaurant in about three years despite the fact that back in the day, he not only was overseeing the grill and the kitchen, but basically "worked" all the tables. Wonder if he's sitting on his laurels, or on to other things.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 06:48 PM

Jesus - Jesse is still there and is still the chef, or so I was told. What I think happens is that the dinners here are eaten later when we are already in bed!

Good d ay, All....on this Tuesday the 13th, we went for coffee in the morning at 5 a Avenida. The old photos inside are great, but the reflection from all the windows makes it hard for me to capture. Here are a couple:

Notice that Playa is written PLALLA!

This one has a horse n buggy, it is dated 1903. The wild wild west, or south, or ??

Here is a photo of the malecon during a hurricane. Nast waves, coconut trees and no sidewalk

Avenida Alvaro Obregon - not sure if we have even been on it

Then we went to look at some houses for sale, all around 300K....never took pics. We love going around and seeing what is out there. We even visited with Simon, a very young real estate agent who has lived here for 8 years and runs Amistad Realty. His office is in a killer location: right on the malecon, half a block down from the Chinese Hotel.

Then we went to lunch at the Laureles ....I was craving the fish in white sauce I had last time. It did not let me down and the waiter suggested we have the shrimp and fish drowned in white sauce....

Here is the view in front

And here is the view of the food: 180 pesos gets you enough for two= potato salad, rice, veggies cooked perfectly and quite a bit of fish and shrimp with sauce.

This afternoon, the college kids could not go with me to visit Vista Hermosa Colonia (neighborhood) as they are in exams. Barbara, the coordinator, founder, soul of the scholarship program picked me up and off we went. It was a small group today and I took no pics. They are picking up bits and pieces of English. My goal is to make them curious. I am good, but no one can learn that much in 3 weeks (((:

Now we are inside in A/C as the heat is dreadful...should cool off soon. Hasta manana, amigos. Hope your day was good and that you have peace in your souls.

[Edited on 5-14-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 07:01 PM

The heat is dreadful?! Not yet, Amiga. You just arrive3d a little late! I used to need my FM3 Renewal in August. Hot but not Dreadful? Think that occurs in September! Think La Bocana/Abreojos! Smiles Tio
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 09:05 PM

It is all relative, but for this old lady, the afternoon heat is dreadful!

Tio, when are you coming to La Paz for us to meet for a cup of lemonade ... My favorite drink !

Come visit La Bocana

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 10:13 PM

I just checked the two week forecast for La Paz. Yipes!

It's also very warm and windy here in San Diego this week. And I've been hearing this summer will be exceptionally warm.

With all this in mind, I'm considering my hotel options versus beach camping in June...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 08:01 AM

Rent our place, Lori! But book it now, cause it is a deal and a half at $500 a month.

Also, we are at Corazon Cafe and Rex was welcomed i to the back patio area.

And even Azul Marino, a posh place, let Annie, our friends' dog, sit with us at the table on Mother's Day Saturday in Mexico. Always outside areas.

Come visit La Bocana

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 08:25 AM

Oh dear, Blanca - La Paz is only just beginning to warm up! We were in La Paz yesterday (for car repair...ugh) and thought it was still pretty pleasant.

Tried to reach you, but it didn't work.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 08:30 AM

Thought we heard a slight ring but it never went thru! It would have been nice to see you both.

Come visit La Bocana

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
It's on Rosales between Altamirano y Gomez Farias. Roast their own goat - best birria in town.

Thanks. It continues to surprise me that most birria in town is beef. Just doesn't seem... right somehow. :(

Totally agree. Birria's origins are with the poor. They could not afford beef.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 04:58 PM

Jesus - Jesse is still there and is still the chef, or so I was told. What I think happens is that the dinners here are eaten later when we are already in bed!

So they say. JHust curious how it is that whenever we have dropped in he has not been there, they make something up. Last time, he was down in Cabo buying wine.

I'm not dumping on Jesse, but having had many great meals there, with him flittering about, it just seems odd to me (pun intended) that we have not had a Jesse sighting in the past three years.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

So they say. JHust curious how it is that whenever we have dropped in he has not been there, they make something up. Last time, he was down in Cabo buying wine.

I'm not dumping on Jesse, but having had many great meals there, with him flittering about, it just seems odd to me (pun intended) that we have not had a Jesse sighting in the past three years.
Jesse is there and doing just great. He usually arrives later in the evening as late dining is more the norm here.

Love following your posts! For breakfast might I recommend Maria California. It is up one block from the malecon on Bellisario Dominguez towards the west. Because Bellisario is a one way to the east the easiest to find route is go west to the start of the malecon (at Stellas) turn left, go one block and turn left again (across from Rancho Viejo, great arrachera tacos) and go approximately two blocks. Can't miss it on the SW corner. Great breakfast and the menu has 1 1/2 pages of just juices!

If you and Les have time I'd love to meet you over a cerveza. Let me know

In Memory of E-57
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 06:52 PM

Please check u2u. Thank you !

Quote:
Rent our place, Lori! But book it now, cause it is a deal and a half at $500 a month.

Also, we are at Corazon Cafe and Rex was welcomed i to the back patio area.

And even Azul Marino, a posh place, let Annie, our friends' dog, sit with us at the table on Mother's Day Saturday in Mexico. Always outside areas.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 07:44 PM

Alan, you are ON! Whale-iste, answered U2U.

Report coming soon, just uploading pics to photobucket.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2014 at 08:27 PM

Bueno, another really nice day in La Paz. The morning started off at .corazon .cafe as we wanted to get the waiter to do another caricature including Rex this time. This guy does it for ALL the restaurant guests. He is so talented and whips them out in 15 minutes!

The talented waiter

Here we are:

From there, we went looking for, and found, the recycling center. Sometimes driving in La Paz is incredibly challenging. There seems to be roadwork being done on a different street every single day. I am guessing the governor wants to be reelected badly. For out of towners, one must be creative because the challenge is double: roadwork plus one way streets=gotta have patience! Nothing is a simple A to B drive. But we found the center.

This afternoon I went to the orphanage and had a chance to work one on one with students who are running behind. Nancy is one of the most dynamic teachers I have ever met. These kids are lucky.

At the end of the day, Les and I decided to try out Otra Vez. It is located in what used to be the Arambullo (sp) family home. They own the supermarket with the cow in front. The owner of the building is 97 and there are family photos inside. Our meal was delightful, we asked for a caesar salad to be divvied up for us in the kitchen. We also asked that the shrimp and mushroom pasta dish be splitpp up beforehand too. We were the only patrons and I got lots of photos. I can not describe how good the pasta was! The Italian whif of a chef, named .alessio and from .sardinia, is simply awesome. Even splitting the dish, i still have some left over for lunch tomorrow.

The wood fire oven for pizzas

Our table in the only room with private air conditioning! We were boiling and needed to cool off. In back of us, looks like they are building a wine room.

The stairs leading upstairs are hollywoodesque in their sheer elegance

And I think this house should be ours ..... does no harm to wish.

This is a ceiling in one of the dining areas. Exquisite.

The waiter Alejandro asked if I wanted to see upstairs. Of course, I was already climbing them so off we went. These used to be the bedrooms. And a beautiful library! The house was built in the 1800s and it is a beaut architecturally speaking.

Library:

I am not into antique books per se, but I bet these are worth some money. Complete collections.

This is one of three full walls

Now here are some photos near the entrance of the house in its heyday:

Here, the man of the house ? Looks like he is giving a speech

And then the chef was clanging for us to come for the food. I forgot to take a pic of the pasta dish but pasta is pasta.

But this was waaaay more than a pasta. It was PASTA with all caps. It was so good and I ate my fill to the point where there was no room for dessert.

Anyway, i did get a pic of the salad

The pre splitting of the dishes idea came from Azul Marino when a friend and I asked to share our caesar salad, and they did it in the kitchen for us.

And I have to be honest, the caesar salad was very good, but the one at Azul Marino was superb.

All in all, another spectacular day.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.