Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:08 PM
Not if it's Mother's day!

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
My point is that in Mexico, everyone gets the day off for Mother's Day.

Again, check your facts. Mothers day is not a federal holiday. Everyone does not get the day off.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:15 PM
I'mn sure there's always exceptions

and I'm pretty sure you are missing my point entirely, but, down here "almost" everyone got the day off to celebrate with their Mother's. We discussed how important everyone felt that this day actually is and why they got the day off.
And since you are argueing about it, I suppose I will have to reconsider what I think about the loss of family values in the u.s. there now, I have and I was right. Pathetic to be sure!!!
Most people are aware of the decline happening not just with their dollars but life in general. Enjoy your fancy cars, condos, face lifts and killing others for oil people, that's what life is all about!:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:27 PM
Working Mother's

I've been in Baja on numerous Mother's Day holidays and there were a whole LOT of people working and businesses open.

By the way, JR, none of my numerous firearms are "P-nche" (or insignificant) and rest assured that you aren't on my list of favorite people I'd like to send on their way. You have no impact on my life and never could have so you're safe even if we meet.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-16-2005 at 11:07 AM
And rest assured that

I feel so much more "secure" now. The way I see it is that no matter how much we fight on here, chances are we would probably have a good time in Baja were we to meet.
You either have to be extremely shallow, accuse me falsely with no backup, or try and spread rumors about people for me to actually not like someone.
There are some extremely boring people on here that have nothing better to do than those things. I don't see you as being one of them.
And the ones that are them can take a flyin :moon:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
and I'm pretty sure you are missing my point entirely, but, down here "almost" everyone got the day off to celebrate with their Mother's. We discussed how important everyone felt that this day actually is and why they got the day off.
And since you are argueing about it, I suppose I will have to reconsider what I think about the loss of family values in the u.s. there now, I have and I was right. Pathetic to be sure!!!
Most people are aware of the decline happening not just with their dollars but life in general. Enjoy your fancy cars, condos, face lifts and killing others for oil people, that's what life is all about!:lol:
I dont know if a baja based forum is the right place to discuss who really spends time with their mother on "mothers day" but jr is very correct in saying that that the quality of family life is very threatened in america...anyone who would dispute that must be wearing blinders or just not want to accept the fact that mostly due to our materialistic greed-inspired culture we have made "family home life" an old fashioned thing of the past.....which in my opinion is quite tragic
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 07:07 PM
Our "culture" has damaged Family values?????

It seems to me that "Family Values" are each individuals responsibility. If they are declining in the USA, and most of you think they are, apparently, then that is each individuals choice. It has nothing to do with our Capitalist Culture, it seems to me. I am a Capitalist, but my family is totally intact, and we ALL communicate with each other on practically a daily basis via e-mail, or phone. What does the pursuit of wealth and prosperity have to do with family values?? My family enjoys both, and it never occurred to us that we shouldn't. In fact, 19 members of my "family" are going to Italy together for two weeks this summer. Without our "life styles" we could not afford to do that.

Almost every member of my family enjoys Baja, and goes there as often as able, usually together. (Some members are not "into" Baja.) It certainly helps to be able to AFFORD to go, for all of us. Our life-style in the USA enables us to be able to do this------what is the problem?? Am I missing something here??

(but I still don't know how to make "smileys")
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 09:52 PM
hey Barry,

when you say "i am a capitalist",it sounds like youre part of a tough street gang or maybe some hip new wave music fad....pretty cool,i think i might pick up on that if you dont mind....maybe i'll use that term at the bar tonight and see if i can score a couple of chicks....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 10:17 PM
You never know, ert---it might work----it did for me

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2005 at 06:52 AM

IMHO people that think family values are declining are mostly older people who regret not being more involved with their family while either they were growing up or while their kids were growing up. On top of that add in a failed marriage to which they couild have done more but didn't.

I ask, have you failed to stay in touch and be part of your childrens life as well as other members of your family. I'm part of my kids and grandkids life and see other families having a wonderful time all around.

Perhaps it's time for some of you to help the less fortunate and bring joy to those than don't have a family, on both sides of the border.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we as gringos have somewhat screwed up our priorities in life somewhere along the line?...

This would explain a lot when it comes to figuring out what happened to family values and morals in the u.s..:barf:

Mexico idolizes it's mothers, I'll grant you that. Pity that this doesn't translate into greater respect for women in general.

Study finds discrimination against women, minorities, disabled in Mexico

By Morgan Lee
ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:39 p.m. May 16, 2005

MEXICO CITY ? Mexico's first nationwide government survey on discrimination found a majority of women, Indian minorities, the disabled and homosexuals feel they are singled out for mistreatment even though most Mexicans say they condemn such behavior, authors of the study announced Monday.

Indians and people with disabilities are the most likely to feel shut out of work opportunities, according to the study involving 5,600 interviews across Mexico conducted by the National Commission for the Prevention of Discrimination and the Social Development Department.

"Nine out of 10 people with disabilities, nine out of 10 Indians, nine out of 10 homosexuals and nine out of 10 elderly people consider that there is discrimination against their condition," Secretary of Social Development Josefina Vazquez said, while releasing highlights of the opinion survey.

"When you ask in general of Mexicans what we think of discrimination, we are accustomed to rejecting it and usually affirm that, of course, we do not agree with it."

One in three people of Indian heritage surveyed they he had been subject to discrimination in the past year, and one in five they he had been refused work for being Indian.

The study also delved into attitudes toward women and among women.

About 24 percent of Mexican men agreed that women should be given a pregnancy test when they apply for a job, and 23 percent agreed with the statement that many women are raped because they provoke men, according to the study.

Meanwhile, about 20 percent of women surveyed said women are to blame for their own bad treatment.

"When we ask Mexican men if they agree with chauvinist attitudes, almost 100 percent of the answers are the same and say under no circumstances," Vazquez said. "But immediately when we ask if the women should have equality of access (to work) they not only answer the opposite but also say women should have to do additional tasks and that some of those women should be excluded or treated differently."

Asked which part of society is most vulnerable, Mexicans singled out the elderly, followed by Indians, the disabled and people with AIDS.

Mexico amended its constitution in 2001 to make discrimination a crime and created its first government prevention programs in 2003.

Organizers of the study said Mexico was reluctant to examine how it treats women and minorities until recently.

"Until 2000, the official doctrine in Mexico sustained that there was no discrimination," said Gilberto Rincon Gallardo, president of the National Commission for the Prevention of Discrimination.

"Until now we have had intuitive perceptions of the gravity of discrimination, perceptions that this study came and confirmed."

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
There was some blather going on regarding Cinco de Mayo and who celebrated and how much of a holiday it was in Mexico. Mostly by gringos discussing the day.
It was pointed out to me that in Mexico, Mothers day is a national holiday, where they actually respect and spend time with their Mother's rather than just making the hallmark family, delivery services and florists wealthy.
Perhaps we as gringos have somewhat screwed up our priorities in life somewhere along the line? We all have Mother's I'm pretty sure. Yet we have a national holiday for Martin Luther King Day but not one to respect our own Mother's.
This would explain a lot when it comes to figuring out what happened to family values and morals in the u.s..:barf:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There was some blather going on regarding Cinco de Mayo and who celebrated and how much of a holiday it was in Mexico. Mostly by gringos discussing the day.
It was pointed out to me that in Mexico, Mothers day is a national holiday, where they actually respect and spend time with their Mother's rather than just making the hallmark family, delivery services and florists wealthy.
Perhaps we as gringos have somewhat screwed up our priorities in life somewhere along the line? We all have Mother's I'm pretty sure. Yet we have a national holiday for Martin Luther King Day but not one to respect our own Mother's.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 02:58 PM
That's what

I was going to say. And now, I should post a picture of somebody, right?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 03:19 PM

Oh

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 04:13 PM
Interesting

Baja Lou did nail it.

Sad that some people can't seem to realize that most of our Federal Holidays cost all strada of businesses in the US a ton of money when they have to pay people for not producing anything. Sadly, our fair politicians are more than willing to pass new holidays for any Tom. Dick, or Harry that comes along--It makes the masses happy and costs the government nothing.

Someone listed 25 Holidays in the US---Only 10 of these are holidays for Federal employees. Unfortunately, mothers day is not one of these because it always falls on Sunday and few Federal empoyees work on weekends and that includes those elected to their jobs.
A few PC municipal governments recognize Cinco de Mayo--Los Angles de Mexico is probably one of these.

Forty years of wandering around Baja and I never met a Mexican that didn't laugh, politely, when some gringo talked about this 'most important' Mexican Holiday.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Me No
Banned

lol.gif posted on 5-19-2005 at 04:19 PM

OK, I'll do it for you JR.

Here is a picture of JR. Not quite the quality of you know who's, but here goes.

:moon:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JR, you are getting your ARSE kicked on this thread. Too bad you can't go back and edit all the other peoples posts, like you know who, to make you look better.:lol:

I get your point, but then again usually, I am one of the few who does.

Viva Mexico, and Viva todos los Madres.:bounce:

[Edited on 5-19-2005 by Me No]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 07:33 PM
Hear, hear, calling in the women

JR, you are the master of the stirring of the...stew.

Did anyone else notice that this is a very active thread talking about a woman's issue on a very testosterone heavy bulletin board? (Not that there is anything wrong about that.)

That said, I have never, ever, seen this volume of response on a subject like this in a format like this.

Bravo guys, I am glad that you are interested, but, I just wish the women would enter into to the discussion

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Bravo guys, I am glad that you are interested, but, I just wish the women would enter into to the discussion

So????;D

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 08:40 PM
Now that I have put my foot into it

As someone raised on American holiday timing, I am extremely ambivalent about Mother's Day.

It's always seemed nice and comforting to have a special day that was focused on honoring an important and primary person in your life.

But, in the days before Baja, I always wondered if I was shortchanging the major female influences in my life by sending a card and/or taking them out to a restaurant for a short few hours of obeisance.

Here in Baja, the local women I know prepare for Mother's day with joy and elaborate plans.

I am not invited to their homes, this is no problem, the celebrations are about family.

But, they are connected by their decision to get involved with my family issues, and, those who know my family, some who do not, always bring me a token of respect and affection, clebrating that I am also a member of the mother club.

I have been treated to this same experience in Europe, but, never in the U.S.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.