Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 07:36 AM
You're killing me

but we have to wait till July
going2baja

Mood: Stoked on Life

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 10:23 PM

Hi all, second post here. Really enjoying reading all the posts. My wife thinks I'm cheating on ktmtalk.com now Haha.

We're headed up to Hanson on Sunday for a week. Anyone know the temp extreems and if the lake is holding fish? How are the Mozzies? Will be going with wife, 13 month old and our two Mexico guard dogs, Luna and Baja.

Thanks in advace for any replies!

Tim. BTW - nice job on Dan's house Dave! Oh yeah - I'd love one of your Got Baja stickers if you can spare one for the toy hauler.

pps...sorry the pic so large - will post smaller next time. If people are having a hard time loading page PM me and I'll delete it.

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by going2baja]

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by going2baja]
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 11:52 PM

Laguna Hanson ....thats better than I thought. Hey....is there open range camping up there? How deep would you say that lake is? TXS

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 09:13 AM

Hey David, this might be a great trip for next Presidents day weekend! Get the Matomi group together with anyone else that wants to go. It would be fun, and only 1-1/2 hours out of Ensenada.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:27 AM

Bob, far too cold up there in Feb.!!!! Remember how cold Nuevo Mazatlan was? That was at sea level, in the desert!

Tim, good photo of 'Baja' and 'Luna'!
Dan's irrigation work will get better once the pool construction is over... but thanks! Send me your mail address and I will get you a couple of stickers... use the u2u feature here, or email me info at vivabaja.com.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 09:27 AM
There were only bullhead cats......

....before the lake dried up. I wouldn't be surprised if there were still some around......those fish are ancient and find ways of making it. Anyway, stinkbait instead of flies and spinners.

Temps will be approaching 90 during the day but the lack of atmosphere to screen the sun will make it feel even hotter. Bring shade. O'nite lows probably in the mid 50s....unless the wind is coming off the desert. Then, maybe mid 60s.

Ferget Feb. as David indicates. You can have nights in the teens and a few inches of snow to boot. Spring is perfect but avoid Semana Santa.......the amount of campfire smoke really hangs in the basin if there's no wind. Then, there's the ranchero music (which I love!) playing most of the night from many of the camps. NOT your typical outdoor mtn. experience.

I have to get up there again.......

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by Hook]
going2baja

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:33 PM

Hi all, just back from a 5 day trip to Laguna Hanson. All went great except for your usual nonsense. We took the road from Mex 3, not through Ojos Negros and had no problem except for the Trans temp on the truck climbing. There are a few steep hills that might be challenging for a 2 wheel drive with a large trailer but we had no problem with the 4x4.

Once at the Lake we found that trailer or RV camping is better on the South side of the lake due to the fact that there are some very narrow areas to get through if you go to the North side by the Ranger Station. You can however make it around the entire lake if you enter from the South side.

The temp were in the 80's and felt like high 70's with the west breeze. The nights were MUCH cooler - maybe the 50's. (Time to buy a thermometer I guess.) There were some fires burning down in the valley on Wednesday that brought smoke up to the lake and made the visibility hazy.

Didn't hear of anyone catching any fish - the Lake looks very still and doesn't seem to be fed by any streams. We did see some locals swimming even though there are posted no swimming signs. The dogs couldn't keep out!

There are endless trails for mountain biking or dirt biking. We brought our work quad and the three of us took a few long rides. Check the maps for San Luis - it's a nice 20 mile trip that has some fantastic scenery. You could mountain bike it if you were so motivated.

The ranger did come by and ask for $10 USD for the week.

This would be an excellent place for a get together, especially for those who like to ride dirt bikes!

I'll post pictures when I get them off the camera.

Tim.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 08:13 AM
looking forward

to see those pics. We plan to be up there 18th - 21st of this month.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by going2baja
This would be an excellent place for a get together, especially for those who like to ride dirt bikes!

Yeah, that would certainly add to the ambience, NOT.:fire:

going2baja

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:14 AM

If you want ambience and can't deal with a little noise such as bikes criuising by, kids playing, mariachi music from the locals trucks - THEN STAY HOME IN YOUR PROTECtED LITTLE BOX!!!

I guess I have just responded to my first post from a "Flamer" as talked about on the general page. Great attitude bro! No wonder you relocated to Mexico - you probable hate America as well. X-pat - what a great name.

Tim.

Btw - if your post was in jest then all is forgiven. See you at the Baja 1000, Db level 120!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
If you want ambience and can't deal with a little noise such as bikes criuising by, kids playing, mariachi music from the locals trucks - THEN STAY HOME IN YOUR PROTECtED LITTLE BOX!!!

I deal with bikes and kids and music and fireworks and much more where I live. When I make the effort to drive to a remote and tranquil spot such as Laguna Hanson it's to get away from all that crap.

I wouldn't go there on major holidays but when I do go I expect peace and quiet.

If you were to plan such a trip I would ask for a 'heads up'. That way, neither you nor I would be disappointed.

going2baja

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 05:23 PM

Great Idea Dave!! If I can get my Motely Crew Gang of friends together for such an adventure I'll be sure to post here to invite anyone that would like to join. And hopefully if you are planning a quite non-motor/hiking only trip you'll post as well.

No Bad Days!!!

Tim.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 05:38 PM

Fair enough and I will do likewise.

going2baja

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:19 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh - I just feel like hugging someone!!!! Where's my kid?????

Tim.:P

[Edited on 7-14-2005 by going2baja]
going2baja

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 09:13 PM

I was going to post some pics but Hotmail groups isn't being nice...will try later...Tim.

[Edited on 7-14-2005 by going2baja]
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:09 PM

If I remember correctly the park is posted NO "off roading". Which would leave the loop around the lake to the "off roaders".

Keep Mexico weird
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh - I just feel like hugging someone!!!! Where's my kid?????

Tim.:P

Get your Kum ba yah yahs out.;D

going2baja

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pokey
If I remember correctly the park is posted NO "off roading". Which would leave the loop around the lake to the "off roaders".

Not to sure how to read this one Pokey. I did see some signs that said no swimming (tons of locals swimming) and signs that looked to be "no motos" but The entire week we saw locals riding their quads around the lake and we saw a few packs of bikes making their way through form Tecate on the way to San Felipe or Mikes Sky Ranch. The Ranger came to our camp to collect the fees and said nothing about the work quad we brought with us. He also waved as the three of us rode by the Ranger Station. However we were very respectful of the dusty conditions and kept the speed to a crawl.

Tim.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.