Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Handheld Marine VHF
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 02:21 PM
Cobra HH200

I just went to the West Marine website and used the keyword search with "Cobra HH200" and it came up. The link is:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD...

As for the five watts at $99.00, that's fine. The whole point with these units is cost vs benefit. I, too, have a couple of 5 watt, but in my case, they're the Uniden Atlantis. Good units, but BIG and heavy compared with what's available now.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 02:34 PM
That Reminds me .................

of a story (of course). A few years back we were sailing our boat on San Diego Bay and there were people conversing on Canal 16 in Spanish. No big deal, but some old Geezer gets on the radio and says "Speak English on the Radio, this is the USA". I couldn't believe that somebody was SO dumb not to realize that, given the range, those others could well have been in MEXICO.

That was even dumber than the Old Guy in the Grand Banks Trawler that I heard call the Coast Guard on Canal 22 to say he wanted to report a "sailboat" that had just run into him. He said that the boat had sailed off, but he got his CF numbers and wanted to file a report. The CG came back after a noticeable interval (to allow them to stop laughing, I guess) and said "are you sure you want to file a report" ? He was adamant so they gave him directions to the station. That would have been worth seeing.

Lou ? Are you buying NEW 2-meters for the price of Marine VHF Handhelds ? Under $150.00 ? Where ?

I wasn't in any way trying to say that there is anything wrong with the 2-meters other than cost / benefit nowadays, but since the new repeaters went in at Punta Radar you can get perfect Cel reception and the price per minute for local mexican calls is so low that we all use the phones instead. Prior to those repeaters going in, you need at least a 6db Yagi to get dependable reception. Whatever works best for each individual .

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by MrBillM]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 02:41 PM

Do the words "right of way" come to mind MBM?

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 02:51 PM
Yes, They DO, Judy

And under ALL of those rules (International, U.S. and Inland Water rules), A boat under POWER must give way to a boat under sail. In the event of a collision, the Power Boat is assumed at fault barring any evidence of negligent behavior. If there is any doubt in your mind, I'll be happy to quote Verbatim from one of my pertinent manuals.

I spent five years in the U.S.C.G. Auxiliary, the last three of those teaching in Auxiliary Safe Boating and Basic Navigation Classes.
Prior to and since I spent a lot of years on the water and I am well aware of the rules.

BTW, "Right of Way" is a term that they avoid using, preferring for the most part "Give Way" and "Stand On" vessels.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 02:52 PM

MrBillM

Got it.
Thanks for your trouble!!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 03:13 PM

MBM
I also have spent some time on the water and that was exactly what I was talking about. Motor vessels are to give way to sailing vessels. So we are on the same page. Or in the same boat.
Fair winds and following seas!

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 03:50 PM

MrBillM, most of the units I have - 3 handheld, 5 base. I got on Ebay. the base units IC2100H for around $125/135 used, one localy for $150 new. One handheld - new Icom V8, $169 new a couple years ago. the other two used at around $120 each. I have never had a problem with any of these radios. Here is a link (I think) to new radios offered on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICOM-IC-V8-VHF-Radio-Amateur-Police-Fire...

This is a discount dealer - one of several.

(I don't like having to move a unit from house to car to buggy, etc.)

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 05:14 PM

Check out the Midland 5w NT1 at trendsandgatgets.com for Under $50 !
http://www.trendsandgadgets.com/product_info.php?cPath=271_2...
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 05:31 PM

I'm afraid to - having 21 total 2 way radios of various types I don't need any more "great bargans". But thanks anyway.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 07:08 PM
Lou and Judy

Bajalou - Thanks for the info.

Bajajudy- My apologies for "assuming" the wrong thing. I sent you a U2U.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 07:30 PM

MrBillM, Didn't get the u2u as of 730p 17th

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 08:40 PM
MIDLAND NAUTICO 5 WATT

I have two (2) of the Midland Nautico (NT-1) 5 watt handi talkies ($80 for 2 at Gary Owens "The Sportsman's Guide") good for 14 miles (claimed) and I have been really happy with them. There is never any conflicting traffic on the channels I work on.

Somebody else mentioned the Midland radios on this thread for even less than I paid.

We used Midland radios on the job for years and years----completely happy with the quality, and much less dinero than Motorola. These are great radios.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 08:45 PM
WENT BACK AND CHECKED "DIVERS" MESSAGE------

and he was quoting the price for one (1) Midland Nautico radio. They are $40 a piece at "the Sportman's Guide", $80 for 2, so about the same price.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
MBM
I also have spent some time on the water and that was exactly what I was talking about. Motor vessels are to give way to sailing vessels.

:lol::lol:

Tell that to a super tanker or a fishing vessel.

A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver has right-of-way.

I know of sailors who have lost boats/lives insisting they were stand-on.

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 11:23 PM

Gross tonnage rules......
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 06:40 AM

I know of sailors who have lost boats/lives insisting they were stand-on. Quoted from DAVE

Then they sure were stupid werent they. Those are the rules and like all rules, you have to apply them with some common sense added.

No tankers dont stop and let you go by, neither do freighters nor long liners, nor ......................

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 09:56 AM
Right of Way

Before we went down to the Caribbean on a Bareboat Charter for the first time, I rented a VHS video on Caribbean Chartering. In the segment that covered the Nav Rules, the speaker said that the most important rule to remember was:

"De Bigga Boat has de Right O Way".

I can't tell you how many times I've seen obstinate sailors cross close in front of fast moving power boats and ships. Pretty dumb.

Back when I was in the Coast Guard Aux, we had a video we presented during the Safe Boating Class that was an assortment of film clips showing the disastrous results of maintaining that Right of Way or misjudging the closing speed.
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 12:39 PM
Then there's the story...

Of the supertanker approaching Yokohama... The skipper of the pilot boat notices a tangle of sails and yacht rigging hanging from the bow anchor.... radios the tanker capt. about the accident.

reply: What accident?

Neil
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 01:24 PM
Big vs Little

Beyond those who are just plain obstinate, frequently sailors get themselves in a dangerous position simply because they don't realize how large a "wind shadow" effect a large vessel can generate.

I was once sailing from Long Beach over to San Pedro inside the outer harbor under brisk conditions. A tanker crossed my course about a hundred yards UPWIND of me and the sails went completely slack. Not being cognizant of that effect has led to many disasters. I had noticed earlier that a lot of the sailboats in the area were going all the way out to the breakwater and then sailing close along it until they could make a direct line to their destination.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 01:48 PM

While tooling around the harbor in our dinghy, I actually saw rigging in an anchor housing on a freighter in Gilbraltar many years ago. Oh the mast still had the radar reflector on it. We went to the harbor master to tell him and he laughed.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.