Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Handheld Marine VHF
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-18-2005 at 09:19 PM
Get Real JZ

I am coming in on this discussion a little late but I have to ask.....

Are you really saying that you never use your handheld VHF on land? If so, you are decidedly in a very small minority, even in the US.

Think of all the boaters with riders on land. At Avalon, in Alameda, in the San Juan Islands.

It's not like this is pirate radio for chrissakes.
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 11:25 PM
Right of Way

to the previous pearls of wisdom determining standon/giveway status, I was taught "if it's gray and has guns it has the right of way". technically true or not, it echoes the sentiment of prudent navigation.

Hi ... 'new on this forum seeking SOC and other baja sailing info, but hadta chime in. More post/questions to come.

Ug

PS - regarding use of marine vhs on land, no I guess it's not legal, but I think a little common sense would avoid most all problems. I wouldn't use mine on land anywhere there was marine radio traffic, but if I'm off hunting antelope or cutting firewood in West Dakota, who's to complain?

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by Uglyhat]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 10:43 AM
I'm with Hook

I have mixed feelings on the personal use of the vhf marine band. I carried one and monitored the Coast Guard frequencies while "on-call" for emergency recompressions.

If every weekend warrior in So. Cal hailed his buddies with chit-chat on VHF it's possible emergency workers etc. would not hear the call through the clutter.

On the other hand, being stuck in the middle of nowhere with an emergency would justify it's use in my opinion. Just as cell phones work with 911.

Ug..... where is West Dakota?
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 11:18 AM

Hey Bruce, will you pick up a couple for me on your way back down. If you happen to be in the neighborhood of West Marine of course. Have a safe trip. I heard its supposed to snow in Colorado.
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 10:25 PM

Pompano posted a pic of a nice corner of WD ... WD is south of the highline, north of I80, west of good summer tomatoes, and east of seafood. image google 'ft peck'
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:15 AM

West Dakota is across from East DaKota.????

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Uglyhat

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 01:36 PM

I apologize for dragging this thread way off topic; my intent with the term 'west dakota' was to offer a pithy characterization of an area where using vhf handhelds on land was quite unlikely to cause a problem.

I spent most of my life in Montana (before movie stars bought the place up). We used the term in a mildy pejorative manner in reference to about anything east of Billings. Others have called it the Big Empty. Here in Oregon they call this country the the American Outback. I know, it's a few states away, but the essence is the same: semi arid marginal farm and range land very sparsely populated. 'doesn't really matter what state it's in, as it's part of all western states.

Now back on topic - this 2 meter thing has me intrigued. I'm mostly a trailer-sailer, but I know blue water boats use 'ham' radios of some sort. Also, I think ham radio operators frequently have these 2 ways in their vehicles. I've heard one can get weather forecasts, etc. and even limited telephone links.

So ... any ham radio operators among the Baja sages out there? I'm wondering if this is an option to consider as we plan both terrestrial and nautical forays well off the beaten path.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 02:13 PM
2-Meter

The 2-meter band is fine provided you've got someone to talk to. As I said before, at one time 2-meter was the hot product in the San Felipe area and I supplied my Landlord and his sons with a number of them. They could easily communicate over distances of 25 miles. Lots of people still have theirs, but others, including my Landlord gave it up when Celphone service became so cheap and widespread.

One of the advantages of Ham rigs and Marine SSB was that you could make telephone calls to the states over the network from as far (and farther ?) as La Paz. That's become less important as Voip service has become so widely available.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 09:09 PM

?? "pejorative" ??

A smart newbie, eh ?? :lol:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 04:21 AM

pejorative=
"A disparaging or belittling word or expression. "

I MUSY really be a simpleton...:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 09:53 AM
NEW MIDLAND GMRS 5-WATT RADIOS-------

----I just got notification that "The Sportsman's Guide" has on sale MIDLAND'S new GXT-600 GMRS handi talkies with an advertised 18 mile range (full 5 watts) for $65 for 2 radios.

Put "The Sportsman's Guide" into your search engine, and when it comes up, put in the part number FX6X1-103361. The catalog # is 202153, but I don't think you need this number.

There is an additional $10 S&H, for a total of about $75. (no tax in CA)

If you are a member of the "Sportsman's Buyers Club" your total cost is $68.47 for 2 radios (no tax in CA)
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 03:31 PM

Those GMRS require a FCC license don't they.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 03:58 PM
Lou-----

-----if they do, I am not aware of it, and I have had other GMRS radios for years.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 04:11 PM

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a public two-way radio service.
GMRS Requires an FCC license.

Many people confuse FRS and GMRS. They are two entirely different services.

Do not be confused when they say FRS/GMRS.

If a radio has more than 14 channels, it is a GMRS radio, and you require a license to operate this radio.

A GMRS license is good for all persons legally residing in your household.
Each individual does not need their own license.

Most 22 channel radios are type accepted for use on all 14 channel license-free FRS channels.
As such, you may operate on channels 1-14 only, using only low power.

our website is:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 04:34 PM
Bob-----

Thanks for that info.

I went back and read the operators manual, and it confirms all you say except that it says that channels 8 thru 14 (not 1 thru 14) are for low power use only, on FRS freqs---no lic required. All the rest of the channels are GMRS BUT you need a license, and you can operate at the full 5 watts.

I obviously have been breaking the law for some time now. Bummer!!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 05:16 PM

the GMRS police will be there soon....:lol:

our website is:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 05:17 PM
How do I Obtain a GMRS License?

Unlicensed operation of a GMRS transmitter, including on the "split" frequencies shown in Table 2 (except by FRS radios), is punishable by a monetary fine of up to $10,000 for the first offense, even more for subsequent violations. You must obtain an FCC license (or be an immediate family member of someone who is already licensed) before you may transmit with a GMRS radio.

To apply for a GMRS license, you must complete and return a Form 605 to the FCC. You can obtain a copy of the FCC Form 605 and its instructions by calling: 1-888-CALL-FCC. You can also obtain a copy from the FCC's Web site: www.fcc.gov/formpage.html

You can also apply for a GMRS license directly on the Web. This is actually the preferable way to obtain a new GMRS personal license. For more information on licensing, click here.

Applicants must also submit an FCC Form 159 ("Remittance Advice"). It is available from the same sources mentioned above.

As of October 2002, the cost of obtaining an FCC license in the GMRS is $75. This includes a $50 application fee, and a usage fee of $25 ($5 per year for the five-year GMRS license). This $75 fee total must be submitted along with the application.

[Edited on 5-24-2006 by Roberto]
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 05:49 PM

What good is a FCC license do in Mexico?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 06:18 PM
Banco------

----absolutely NO GOOD------Mexico has their own laws.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-23-2006 at 08:33 PM

calling all you radio heads, switching to a friendly channel....OK, so in case you missed my last begging for old, broken radios, here it is again...please save me your trashed stuff when you buy your lovely new radios...my husband fixes all the fishermens radios here and he is in dire need of parts, so put them in a box and we'll see if someone can bring them down or put em on a bus to us....mil gracias amigos

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.