Author: Subject: Family Vacation of a Lifetime
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Al
I have come up with a solution to all your problems....I will go with you and shoo away any unwanted insects, people, dogs, cats, you name it, I will shoo it.
:biggrin::o:D

Bajajudy,
Your are my kinda person!!!:bounce::bounce:
I am your back-up. You should take me too! I'm Useless, but in a fun kinda way.

[Edited on 9-17-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-16-2005 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Al
I have come up with a solution to all your problems....I will go with you and shoo away any unwanted insects, people, dogs, cats, you name it, I will shoo it.
:biggrin::o:D

Does this mean its over between you and me Judy. Women are so fickle. Actually You got great advice. I do think that Agua Verde is a little far, but it is beautiful.
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 12:35 PM

anyone have any suggestions for the drive down. It will be two guys in a big truck so we can cover a lot of miles in the day. We thought we would leave San Diego really early in the morning. I believe we have to get our tourist cards at the border, any advice for this? What about where we should stay the first night? I figure if we leave at 5 in the morning we can drive about 12-14 hours without driving in the dark on the two lane road. Where do you all recommend we spend the first night? I was hoping to get to Santa Rosalia, is that reallistic? Can we maybe make it a little further? I know the road to BOLA and a little farther south well. I never push the speed limit too hard, the road scares me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 12:55 PM

AL

Santa Rosalia will be roughly 600 miles. There are a couple of new motels in San Ignacio. Should be able to make that easy,and then another short 400 miles to La Paz from there. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Drive carefully !!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 01:06 PM

Al, since you are not familiar with the drive plus the fact that you may want to enjoy the drive, don't push yourself.
Considering you have to stop and get a tourist card and most likely stop a few times along the way , my advice would be a more realistic distance. Say Catavina or BOLA even Guererro Negro, but the surroundings are not to thrilling there. Plus driving at night is VERY dangerous on Hwy 1.

It's about 10 hrs from the border to S. Rosalia if you are making decent time.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 01:22 PM

Al
If you wind up in San Igancio that first night, stay at Ignacio Springs B&B. Terry and Gary are terrific hosts and she will send you off the next morning with a full tummy and a smile on your face. It is about 500 meters off #1 on the left side of the road. If you get there early enough you might just luck into a killer dinner too.
If you wind up in Guerrero Negro, stay in Malarrimo(how the heck do you spell that DK?). The rooms are no great shakes but you can walk to the restaurant and the food is almost always good. If you like oysters, they have farm raised that are wonderful on the half or fried.
If you do make it to Santa Rosalia, stay at La Cassitas just south of town on the left side of the road. Although I have never stayed there, Bob and Susan say it is very nice and you certainly couldnt beat the view as it is on the cliff side.
Also, you can get the visa ahead of time various ways...
To be honest I havent done it in so long I would hesitate to give advise but I bet someone else can help you with that.
Getting excited are we?

[Edited on 9-17-2005 by bajajudy]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 01:56 PM

My advice is put on the bug stuff before going on any islands. Stay way from any large gathering of birds, as there are bound to be lots of bugs.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 01:58 PM

Also, bring stuff you treat jelly fish stings. If you swim, you WILL get stung. Not really a big deal.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 02:05 PM

i get all my tourst cards, boat permits, insurences, fishing lisences from vagabundos del mar they will send all them to ya in the mail and the membership is only $35.00 works great for me have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 02:06 PM

Yes it can be a big deal, if you get the little black strings all over you which can happen, the venom can give you the worst cramps you ever had, and can make you go into shock. This mostly can happen if you are in a cove and a south wind blows thousands of them in while you are diving. I might add also that if you come in contact with a ManOWar jellyfish, you will have a very painful rash like burn, that some people seek medical attention.

[Edited on 9-18-2005 by comitan]

[Edited on 9-18-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 03:02 PM
The Drive

Sharksbaja, I am very familiar with the drive to BOLA and on down to Punta Maria. So I am not worried about the driving part it is I am not familiar with good places to stay and eat south of there. Catavina or BOLA would not be far enough south for our schedule. We will be driving hard but safe.

Just want a reallity check on how far we can realistically get in the first day
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 03:09 PM

Al

Leaving SD ar 5AM and driving the hours you plan on driving should get you to Santa Rosalia easy.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 03:13 PM

I see yer point Al. I ALWAYS drive through when headed north from Mulege. It's usually getting dark but not too many cows in the road towards TJ. I usually take 11/2 day to get there however. Good luck Al, sounds like you said. Have a fantastic time. We will be expecting a trip(some pics?) report upon your return. Suerte

remember your sun block and hats and all the other stuff;)
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 03:30 PM

Not if yer drivin' a PT Cruiser:lol::lol::lol::lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 03:33 PM

I think he meant Visciano for gas GN-SR.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 04:26 PM

It's a LONG drive to Santa Rosalia from TJ in one day but I've done it....without a trailer...

stay at Brenda's http://www.santarosaliacasitas.com/

If she's full then go somewhere else!!!

Way NICE!!!!
CLEAN!!!! Big SHOWERS!!! Coffee!!!!:light:

I like to FUEL (Diesel) the small town before Guerrero Negro...the tamale lady is there!!! MMMM!!!:saint:

[Edited on 9-17-2005 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
JZ

Yes it can be a big deal, if you get the little black strings all over you which can happen, the venom can give you the worst cramps you ever had, and can make you go into shock. This mostly can happen if you are in a cove and a south wind blows thousands of them in while you are diving.

Comi: I told him there was a high probability he would get stung, but was trying to say not to fret it. I'm talking about getting stung by one or two, not an army like you say, which obviously would be a big deal... duh?
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 07:08 PM

take a small bottle of ammonia with you for the jelly fish stings so you wont have to pee on anyone have a goon one jerry

jerry and judi
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
I'm sorry I offended you JZ, I'm editing your name off the post that I was just warning what can happen with jelly fish. In the future I will make it a point not to address you in any of my posts. Have a nice evening.

No offense taken, you can address me anyway you see fit!
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 04:01 PM

Where in San Diego can I buy Gerry Cunningham's and Jack Williams books?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.