BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Still on the hunt for the right Baja boat...what say you?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 01:45 PM
Another one to critique...

I note all the pros and cons on the Panga 26 and the aluminum CC with a 4 stroke. Gunnel heights, materials, engines, draft, looks?, fish boxes. All good ideas and comments. Thanks, they are duly recorded in the Baja Best Boat Box.

A couple of points before moving on to the next Baja boat. For our family's particular method of fishing in Baja we always top off the fuel tank right after getting back from a day's fishing. Couple reasons. First the station in Mulege is not open before 7:00 A.M....and we are miles to sea by then. Second...A normal Cortez fishing trip in our Mulege area can easily go to 70-90 nuatical miles round trip ..except for those many times when you decide while out there fishing to run 50 miles more than what was planned for that day. Distress calls are made all too frequently these days and the call may come from many miles away. Or who knows what.. there have been many bizarre events out there! Most leave the ramp with a full tank. Naturally when going on an extended fishing/camping trip it is a necessity. Range and efficiency are off great importance to me in the next Baja boat.

And now here is another boat type to consider:

A 23' fibeglass center console with outboard. This particular one is a Scout..good respectable builder of fishing and family boats. I welcome matches of engines, equipment , whatever you think makes your day on the Sea of Cortez. So take it away...your comments are solicited.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 02:03 PM

I LOVE the look of the bow on the Scout. Looks like she'd make fair entry. What's the draft?

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 02:19 PM
The Best of Both Worlds

Cant decide between a cuddy and a center console?

Like an inboard but dont want an outdrive?

Looking for plenty of room if the diet goes to hell?

THIS is your boat......a well-respected manufacturer.

Just dont ask about GPH.

http://www.sdboats.com/images/johnv.htm
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 02:54 PM

Monster!!!:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 02:56 PM

If you're looking for an inboard, check out the Shamrock line.

However, I like my boat. No towing involved. and easy to launch/recover. :lol:

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by turtleandtoad]

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 03:18 PM

Pompano

The Scout has a Deadrise of 20 =More stable a little rougher ride in rough water

The Angler has a Deadrise of 30= less stable most have Bennet trim tabs,otherwise when someone moves on the boat it tips. But then again a much smoother ride in rough water.

This is just for comparison, and not from an expert but believed to be correct.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 04:11 AM
Pacific Skiffs

Note fuel tank size, draft, fishing room and study the options. No boat is ugly, and when a fishing man looks at one of those Pacific skiffs and studies the welds, plate thickness and genuine hand made in America workmanship using the best materials available, it is a beautiful boat.

Now what woman and sailors think I don't know.

You can powder coat, paint the interior to reduce glare, all Baja boats should have at least one Bimini in the summer season or you are going to fry your brains, plus, I have seen Pompanos pics and with a little imagination and paint I see a P-51 front end with gaping jaws painted on or an orca motiff, or a ??? It's all fun!

PS: Well, as to any body/buddy who sales Boston Whalers, well, their recomondations and opinions on other boats should be taken with a salt shaker or two!

And oh yeah, buy a Honda four stroke!!!!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 05:43 AM

The Triton 23' has no walking room...it'looks more like a "fishingboat" than a "catchingboat"

I like the Scout better because of the swim steps that are built in and the splash guard looks like you could take it out...a real plus.

We had to add swimsteps for the ladder.

Go Honda...quiet!!!
ULGY color...yellow!!!:lol:

Turtle...you are taking a REAL chance with that porta-boat!!!:fire:

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:26 AM

Bob & Susan

Just kidding; In Baja, I've only use it in Bahia Concepcion around Playa Requeson and even then I stay within sight of the shoreline. If I really want to get out there, I hire a panga (or worm my way onto the boat of a fellow fisherman, they hate to see a grown man cry). Oh, I also used it in the main lagoon at San Ignacio.

It really came in handy on my 5 month trip across Canada, and I've used it on lots of rivers (some really wild one) and lakes in the US. It's a very stable boat and unsinkable to boot.

Even though I'm a factory trained Merc and OMC mechanic, I agree with the Honda 4 stroke, I use a 2 HP-air cooled on my Porta-Bote and it has never failed me. Plus it doesn't take as many specialized tools to work on.

OK, I've highjacked this thread long enough, I'll crawl back into the woodwork now and drool over the "big" boat photos.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:49 AM

Pompano

Another;

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_details.jsp?entityid=10155...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 03:13 AM
from comitan....19' catamaran

Now here is a design that I always wanted to test-ride but never have...the power-catamarans. I have read a bunch about them and poured over their specs many a happy hour. There is a fellow called 'Bullshipper' on THT forum who has a SeaCat 22' w/ twin 140 Suzies in the Cortez and swears by them. Supposed to be an unbelievable ride in comparison to monohulls. Although you will get some spray in the chop. All larger models - 21' and up - I have looked at have twin OB's.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 04:35 AM
Power cats....a cheap thrill

I have read some impressive facts and records about these cats..especially the Glacier Bay cats. These are some:

1,328 Miles to Midway Island
Hawaii to Midway Island? 1,378 miles in seven days

The Bermuda Challenge
Catamaran posts a record of 728 miles in 36.5 hours on 2 four-stroke outboards

The Alaska Challenge
Across the Bering Sea? Nome to Siberia in a 26-footer

Most say the ride, stability, and wave-handling characteristics of cat-hulls are unbeatable in crossing rough water. I suppose that is why there are so many successful catamaran ferry boats operating around the world. Fast, comfy, and cheap to operate.

Anybody have any experience on the 19'-26' fishing cats?

mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 05:38 AM

There have been quite a few "Catmarans" here, anchored out in the Palmas Bay over the years.
Now there is only 2 left that fish regularly. Why? Well, the others have sunk on anchor during the normal crazy wind and sea conditions we get when a storm squall comes thru.
The regular conventional hull boats go thru these storms a-ok, but the catamaran hulls get blown over, get rolled over, etc.
I know it seems crazy, but it happens every time.
The catmarans slice thru the waves when running just fine and are a pleasure to be on while operating at sea in windy conditions.
It is when on a mooring, no one on board, where they are at peril.
This reputation has been made here by all the sinkings, thats all.

Saludos,,,,,mc
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 05:53 AM

Wow..thanks for the mooring report on those cats, mc. That's invaluable information on anchoring catamarans out in our local conditions. Nothing beats first-hand practical experience. It would seem that cats in the 19 - 26 foot range would be better trailered after each use than anchored out. I know I would after reading your account!

I have known many blue-water sailors over the years who have commented on the same thing with sailing monohulls v.s. multihulls like cats and trimarans. When in a severe storm the monohulls at least have a chance to make a complete roll-over, but the multihulls go over..and stay over. 'Pitchpoling' is a different deal .... both go down quickly.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 06:20 AM

but on the plus side...

if they break in half...

you have TWO BOATS!!!!:lol::lol:

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 06:38 AM

also....they're Ugglly!!!:lol:

our website is:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 07:05 AM

Cats don't like water !!

Ever been skipping along in a power cat at 30+knots with a strong, gusty cross wind and a little chop ? Very spooky feeling if your used to a V hull.

Also, cats are like tri-hull, in some respects; if you're cruising diagonally out through the wave and catch a crest between the hulls that is taller than the boats hull-rise, you get a big surprise !!

Now I do love my 16' Hobbie but Hobbies are another thing; riding on one hull, balancing in the wind; or are they ??

On another issue;
Someone mentiioned that the Angler V hull will roll more with people moving about when trolling or at anchor. Although the Angler V hull is not as deep as some, it is fairly deep and considered a "deep V". For off-shore fishing, this is the only hull style I would consider. Like you replied, the added comfort, stability thus seaworthiness, is well worth a little bit or roll.
Also, although my old Angler was a center console not a panga, the gunnel height was well over my knees (I'm 6'1").

And lastly, what's the problem with a little pitch-poling ?? I have stuck the hulls of my Angler and Aquasport though the bottoms of some pretty big waves but I'm still here. Mostly because someone taught my to remove the splash guard in heavy seas and both hulls had lots of flotation. Admittedly, I did wipe the T-top right off a 23' Maco about 20 years ago and passengers have been hard to find when I go out, since then !!!!
In hind-site, I think it's more a matter of not driving like a kook-in-a-hurry when you're in large or steep swells or waves.

Shopping and deciding ... tough work .... :lol: :lol:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 10-2-2005 at 07:08 AM

B & S,

Does a good looking boat catch more fish? :?:

What do the fish consider a good looking boat?:?:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 07:16 AM

When I lived in south Florida, a good-looking boat definitely caught more, um, fish. Some wearing teeeny weeeny bikinis !! :lol::cool::lol::spingrin:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 07:19 AM

I don't know!!!!
I sure wish I did...we're boaters NOT Catchers:lol:

but....MOST boats are "talking subjects" with the "boys" as you clean and repair them...

You can ONLY take so much razzing if you have an UGLY boat:lol:

our website is:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.