Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Captain for 40ft Sailboat
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 11:44 AM
What Bruce said is true JZ

and having a brother who was a traditional sail maker, I understand. These guys cringe at the thought of using a motor.

And it seems that docking under sail is like winning the lottery when done properly!:light:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 12:17 PM

Boy, there must be zero "real or good sailors" at the marina's I frequent!, because I can't recall watching one sail-in!

Hey, but I'm not a sailor, power is more my thing, so what do I know! But I preceive the comments as macho chest pounding and, generally, out to lunch!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Against the wind from

Santa Rosalia to La Paz ?

Wind should be at your back this time of year!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 03:14 PM
But I preceive the comments as macho chest pounding and, generally, out to lunch!

Sort of JZ. But when I said "traditional", I meant it. And traditionally, those sailers didn't have motors. This has created a sense of pride in true "sailers" when they don't have to rely on anything but their own skill and equipment.
Personally, I'm with you because I have yet to see a sailboat that I could ski behind!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 06:30 PM

JR this is a little ironic. You are commenting about a subject which you are not an expert, which is fine and dandy.

But you blast the "tourist" for talking about Baja in a similar way. Can't have it both ways!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:29 PM

I'm not a sail salt, but a 40' concrete ship would need a small tug boat to dock???? I think the tall ships in San Francisco use tugs? The guy who sailed this must not have had any worries as he built and sailed it for years with no motor.
Do sailboats have brakes?:lol::barf::lol::barf::lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Santa Rosalia to La Paz ?

if you cant sail into the wind you have no reason to be on a sail boat:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 08:14 PM
Nope, no expert JZ

But after spending 2 months on a 115' steel hulled schooner in the South China Sea, my brother owning a 1953 55' Sparkman Stevens Ketch and him living on it for over 10 years in San Diego, 2 of my good friends having similar boats and sailing on them as well, remodeling the sail loft for Ullman Sails, knowing and hanging around the Frost family for a number of years (Downwind Marine), sailing to Catalina amd Ensenada a number of times, and my brother owning San Diego Sails and Canvas, I have some opinions of what I think a traditional sailor is.

But, I could be wrong!

Again I will state, I prefer something that pulls a skier.:lol:

PS, One of my friends boats that we sailed to Ensenada is cement. No different than any other boat in the 40-50' range to maneuvre. We also pulled another 55' steel hull up from Baja Naval where it was made in Ensenada with the cement hull, to Shelter Island where it is now being finished. That was a LONG trip! Uphill the whole way!

[Edited on 10/14/2005 by jrbaja]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 08:45 PM

Ok, you know a little more than I gave you credit for!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2005 at 10:33 PM

Your too intelligent for my Larry, because I have no clue what the real meaning of that is in this context.

Interesting style also, I looked at your last ten posts. Everytime it was a quote and response to a post, just like this. Stopped after ten (10 for 10). Interesting gig you got going??!!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 09:49 AM

That explains alot!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 10:15 AM

I'm honestly not too concerned about getting into the harbor.

My dad used to do it without a motor going into a slip in Marina del Rey, only using his sails and that's a REALLY busy Marina. The captain we've chosen has sailed with my dad many times and I fully trust his capabilities.

...And where can I get that robot?
Naomi

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 10:22 AM

Oops! I forgot to login.. That Anon is me!
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:16 PM
Dave Ullman

Quote:
remodeling the sail loft for Ullman Sails

Yeah?

Dave is a great guy. He spent three hours with me discussing sail options for my Schock. ( And to him, a $1,200 sail package is way small potatoes.)

JR, next time you're down I'll show you my best Baja find. A Pfaff 130 I picked up at the Primo Tapia flea market for $50.00. It'll sew through 10 layers of canvas and not break a sweat.:biggrin:

Maybe you could build us a loft?:lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
This has created a sense of pride in true "sailers" when they don't have to rely on anything but their own skill and equipment.

I love it when push button "sailors" motor in, after stowing all sail, and then...the... auxiliary...dies. :biggrin:

Motors always work, except when they don't. Can't say the same thing about sails. ;D

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:34 PM
Dave

San Diego Sails and Canvas is no longer but my brother still has most of his stuff.
He will be down soon. I'll bring him by.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:36 PM

Dave

That says it all, just hope you have an upwind berth when the motor dies. Sailboats don't have brakes.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:38 PM
Don't you mean

downwind berth?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:41 PM

Jr

Your not showing your knowledge of sailing. If you want to challenge me on sailing experience you WILL lose.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2005 at 02:45 PM
Oh settle down

and answer the question.
Let's see Popeye, no power and I want to get to a berth upwind. What do I do?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.