BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: El Rosario to Punta Baja and south along the coast! (Part 1 and Part 2)
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 08:20 AM

Nice photos DK!

Those are agaves. They are harvesting the flowers to extract agave nectar, or actually the sugars in the flowers. It is being marketed pretty extensively as an organic sweetner in the healh food markets of USA and Europe.

The yuccas that are torn out and stacked like cordwood, which is becoming a real threat to the fauna it apperars, are being harvested for the extract which is acquired through pressing and centrifuging. That product is used as a stabilizer in many products and as an adjuvant in pesticide mixes.

I have been noticing a huge increase in the harvesting of these two similiar plants in the last year.

Once again, thanks for the photos and report!

jorge

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:28 AM

Thank you for the details Jorge! Very interesting! You see lots of pieces of the tree yuccas along the roads in the San Juan de Dios area... falling off of trucks. Those things cannot grow back as fast as they are cutting them down! The agave will reflower again, and again however!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Wow, it's been a year already ? Seems like just yesterday !

Congrats on your first year of many in harmony.

I must assume there is harmony as every photo you have posted of Angel shows her big smile ! Keep up the good .... work? (nah)

BTW, I would love two more large stickers for our new rigs before our trip south in early January.

Thank you Diver!

Yes harmony is a good word and a good thing to have between two people! Baja Angel is awesome... I hope she keeps me!

I am out of the larger size 'got baja?' stickers (just sent out the last ones)... but Antonio thinks he can make me a new batch in about a week... If I find some before then stashed away, email or u2u me your mail address...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:36 AM

David = fantastic trip report and photos! Can't wait to go down again soon.
Bob H
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 09:58 AM

DK...

Aren't you ever tempted to just pop a tent and camp out on those deserted beaches??Seems like you are spending all day getting to the middle of nowhere only to race back to the hotel at night. Just curious..
I guess it is butt ass cold this time of year..

Great report!! Love that stretch of coast..As I sit here waiting for my 9 mos. preggy wife to pop, all I have of Baja are the reports of others.
'Tis the season to be back roads baja, searchin...TT

I kinda miss you getting a hard time for posting gps coords. :no:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 10:07 AM

What a great trip---and fantastic pictures.!

Diane:yes:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2005 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
DK...

Aren't you ever tempted to just pop a tent and camp out on those deserted beaches??Seems like you are spending all day getting to the middle of nowhere only to race back to the hotel at night. Just curious..
I guess it is butt burro cold this time of year..

Great report!! Love that stretch of coast..As I sit here waiting for my 9 mos. preggy wife to pop, all I have of Baja are the reports of others.
'Tis the season to be back roads baja, searchin...TT

I kinda miss you getting a hard time for posting gps coords. :no:

YOU BET TOMAS!!! I love sleeping outdoors, have a campfire, counting satellites and shooting stars...

However, the welcome comforts of Baja Cactus Motel for such a low price means more time driving and no setting up or packing away the tent and other gear for just one or two nights! The food in El Rosario is so good too! We had breakfast and dinner at Ed's 'Baja's Best B & B'... and also breakfast at Primo's 'La Bocana Beach Restaurant'

Driving south we had a great dinner at Chef Johnny's Half Way House... filet of beef for Angel and Chile Rellano for me.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 11:50 AM

Pop.. woohoo just had a kid.little Boy.. I'm not sure how much back roads camping I will be doing.. Baja Cactus might be the call for a while...TT
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 12:06 PM

Congrats to the both of you Tomas!!(or should I say three?) Nice Christmas present, eh!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 02:27 PM

Great report David - a note on the Agave - the stalks are harvested before flowering when they are in the "asparagus stage" usually around 2 meters in height - it is then roasted in a pit and eaten or boiled to make a drink. Agave flowers are also eaten like a salad. (See Baja California Plant Field Guide by N. Roberts)
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 03:17 PM

Yes, Very nice reprt and I love the pic of the sun setting on the cliff/ocean and all those colors! Gives one that Baja Feeling.....

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 06:02 PM

Thanks amigos for the nice words... I love going off the paved road and seeing the many fascinating places on this magnificent peninsula!

Bringing the story and photos to Baja Nomad is my pleasure.

We also found about five more additions for my El Rosario town map... So, soon I will produce an updated version (it includes the propane distributor, a bakery, another restaurant, etc. we missed before).

Marv, someday I will have a photo worthy enough to be in your beautiful calendar! I will keep clicking and upgrading my camera!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2005 at 09:42 PM
TRIP MAP

Here is a map showing the day trip south from El Rosario to Punta Baja then on south along the coast to almost Punta San Carlos. I have added (letters) to the places I GPS'd should BajaLou make a satellite image and can use the letter (A-G) to plot the points. The letters may also help you with following along as I reset the trip odometer three times... There are just so many roads in this area (an ORVers dream) that we had to try a few before getting on the right one!

[Edited on 4-26-2007 by David K]

So Rosario-R.JPG - 48kB

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2005 at 08:32 AM

Sat plot later today--- great trip David

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-22-2005 at 09:15 AM

Re: The bookcase. That looks a little high, how are people supposed to get to the books?

Or is my perspective screwed up?

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2005 at 09:36 AM
This trip from Space

Here's where you were David and Angel--

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2005 at 07:28 PM

Great photo Lou!!! Man, I love this stuff!

Turtleandtoad: The bookcase is to show off the collection and to keep the books out of reach so none 'walk off'. Eventually, there will be a reading room or hospitality room and a checkout procedure will be devised by Antonio to insure the books do not get borrowed 'permanently'.

Lorenia (Mrs. BajaCactus) is making a detailed index card system for each book (including who donated it).

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.