BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  13
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 04:27 PM
Titanic Adventure

It has been a "Titanic" adventure for Graham and Boni.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 04:28 PM
Graham, Good luck

Graham is doing things I would like to, like getting lost in an isolated land for a prolonged time.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 08:11 PM
Note to Nomads from Graham and 1-6-06 Update

Hi David,

I sent this update to Dick Van Bree for my website. I really enjoyed reading the string of postings on the Baja Nomad board. Please thank all those fascinating folks for their interest and positive comments. See you in March, and looking forward to swapping a few Baja tales.

Dick,

Another update for the Guardian Angel Island adventure:

Friday January 6, 2006

A couple of days of north wind have prevented me from going out to Guardian Angel Island. Today is much calmer inside the bay; but out beyond the near islands there are some good waves running. I have total confidence in my panguero; he predicted as much yesterday, but thinks Saturday will be the day for the crossing. He came to that conclusion by taking into account the moon and the clouds, and studying the bay from an elevated point on the road to town. I reached the same verdict by looking at the weather forecast on the internet.

I have an abundance of time, and Baja has taught me patience. I am putting the days to good use talking to some of the knowledgeable folks here at the bay and doing a little research on line. I also took a couple of long hikes, including out to the rugged shore north of La Gringa, to break in my boots and recover a little lost fitness.

As a reminder about the power of the wind, I watched an inflatable left on the beach suddenly tumble down to the water and so somersaulting out towards the islands! My campsite on the island will need to be sheltered from the north and west winds; and I'll need shade. Even with hat and sunscreen, being fair of face my skin will not appreciate being exposed to two months of wind and sun.

Unless there are compelling reasons to locate elsewhere (such as finding a camp with loaded pangas) I'll be at the narrowest part of the island, I guess about 15 miles or so north of Este Ton, a wonderful little sheltered cove on the west side. That was my initial first choice location but a glance at a satellite map suggests it is so rugged there that getting along the coast on foot or into the mountains will be a challenge. Humbug Bay is the best place to hike right across the island; I shouldn't have to climb much over 1000 feet.

Luckily at this time of year I shouldn't see too many rattlesnakes, but all accounts suggests that they are there in numbers and one species is huge compared to its peninsula cousin, probably because of the absence of predators and its proclivity for dining on large endemic chuckwallas.

I'm taking 45 or 50 gallons of fluids, mostly water! And I'll have enough food for two months, especially as I'll be fishing most every day. But those chuckwallas might look tasty if all else fails... and giant rattlers will go a long way too.

Well, will send next report as I'm able.

Graham

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 08:44 AM
Note from Bonni 1-10-06

Hi David--

I'm sending a picture in another email of Graham leaving with his panguero Basilio on Saturday morning.

Graham was headed for the Los Machos area (known only to the gringos as Humbug Bay) because Este ton offered little opportunity for exploring much of the island interior--steep high mountains all around. Los machos is north along the west coast of the island, about where it has a P-nched off appearance (with indents on both sides), and the lower terrain of the island can be covered on foot and crossed from there. He'll be there for an indefinite period of time, and relocate at some point.

Antonio Resendiz helped him accomplish a lot with getting the permits and lining up Basilio, the panguero. The enthusiasm of the locals really heartened Graham I know, and several scientific people are wanting him to be their eyes and ears out there also. Apparently no one has spent such considerable time camping on the island since the Indians were there.

Roger and Jean at Villa Bahia gave him a great base from which to leave--many thanks to them, and for the picture I'll be sending along.

Bonni

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:06 AM

I think it is a play on words or a comical sub title... because he cannot leave there on his own... he is 'marooned' (until a boat can remove him).

At least we see this as it is happening, and not a couple years later, after he writes the book. We are witnesses... and pray not they happen, but Graham's adventures do all have some form of danger involved!

ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Antonio Resendiz helped him accomplish a lot with getting the permits and lining up Basilio, the panguero.

In March 05 I met Antonio and my friends and I rented Basilio's boat for a day, great fisherman. He put us into some really good fishing after the bay tour.

The more I read this thread, the more I get jealous! What a cool adventure. :cool:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 07:35 PM

Just wait for the frickin book, then buy it, read it and offer your unsolicited review, wey.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 07:37 PM

David, Bonnie and Graham, thanks for sharing the updates with us. Beautiful photo! Hopefully we will get to hear some more dispatches in the future. Maybe he took some corked bottles with him that he can put some messages into... :tumble:

Chuck, that is pretty cool that you know Antonio and Basilio. Small peninsula I guess :cool:

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 08:09 PM
I'd call it unique!

I believe Braulio's opinion is unique to say the least! Of course that is the best part of this forum - to be able to be our own unique self.

I'd offer that many, many writers plan and consider topics and experiences for stories ahead of the writing.

John M
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 08:19 PM
doesnt sound like Braulio..

has read any of grahams books...if he had he would know that the guy is definitely not a phony...in fact he's quite the opposite as far as I can tell from the two books of his i've read so far

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:02 PM
Helping to make it real

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
I guess I'm missing something here (yeah - I know Graham's a great guy - we all love him) but the concept of "preparing" to be "marooned" escapes me.

I mean aren't the words prepared and marooned anti-themical?

Plus he's doing it in the least harsh part ofthe year - I don't know - why not call it what it is - an adventure with scant provisions (and a big safety net).

Braulio (marooned in San Ramon)

Hey, let's go down there and drink all the water, break the radio, steal his shoes, fishing pole and that silly hat he wears.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Hey, let's go down there and drink all the water, break the radio, steal his shoes, fishing pole and that silly hat he wears.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are most definitely incorrigible. Keep it up.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Point well taken John - but then a lot of writers also make their experiences out to be more than they really are. I guess at some point we just have to trust them - unless we're just reading for the entertainment value.

But there is one point on which I think we can all agree - that Lera and Oso should be kicked off the board - for never contributing anything of value - and troublemaking.

(Sorry I hijacked you post David - won't happen again.)

No worries Braulio... His first book 'Into a Desert Place' (c1988)was written AFTER his 3,000 mile walk around the peninsula and it is a must read for all Baja people, IMO.

However, all of his following books were planned... ie. he did an adventure so he could write a book about them (and I am glad he did)... I am sure there was an internal need to be close to Baja, as well!

'Journey With a Baja Burro' was about his 1,000 mile walk from Tecate to Loreto (in 1997) with a burro named Mision to carry his equipment... following the trail between missions in many places. Again, a great read... full of history details.

In 'Nearer My DOG to Thee' (c2003) he spent a summer 'marooned' in the Sierra San Pedro Martir at 8,000 feet, with his dogs... and nearly got struck by lightning more than once. I am using the word marooned (not Graham) here because he did not have a vehicle to leave with. Bonni made a few trips up to resupply him.. and teach him which mushrooms could be eaten (funny chapter). Great details on wild fires and the California condor were very interesting... again good historic research on the padres, who established a mission which is what the sierra was named after.

I am excited about his choice of being on Baja's largest (an uninhabited) desert island... Will he find signs of ancient native inhabitants? A lost mission? Will he even find water? Will he again be eating rattlesnakes for survival (he actual told me he enjoyed them)?

I am not sure if two months will be enough out there!!!

Here is Graham's website... He has a couple stories in there that are interesting reads, as well: http://www.GrahamMackintosh.com

[Edited on 1-12-2006 by David K]

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:36 AM

Hey David,
do you know if Graham has ever posted on this forum?

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 06:52 PM

Quote:

was written AFTER his 3,000 mile walk

Yes, but it was his intention to write a book based on it.

Whether the chicken was first or the egg, Graham and other authors have always went on an 'adventure' in order to write about it(you could also say that they write about it to go on one) so that he is able to support himself.

So while I have my concerns about what 'Into A Desert Place' claims it is a very enjoyable read for me. His other 'Adventures' have been a little to contrived for me so I doubt I will buy one of his books.

I do enjoy reading the updates posted on this board though.

[Edited on 1-13-2006 by Fatboy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 09:52 AM

Hmmmm... well if he didn't write about them it would be a great loss of entertainment and education for the rest of us Baja and adventure seeking folks... That is like having a Baja Nomad forum where none of us write about our trips to Baja.

So, you see Baja Nomads who take the time to write about their trips are travel or adventure authors. Most Nomads have not been published, so they are amateur writers... Graham and a few Nomads have been published.

Graham's last two books were both less than $20... For the research and effort that went into them, and the value of information and pleasure reading them, that is an incredible bargain. Do you only watch free TV, or do you ever go see a movie? Baja Nomad is like free TV, and a Baja book is like going to a movie... only better as it lasts much longer!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jide, I do not think Graham has posted on Nomad... he does read it, however... Back in the Amigos de Baja days, I passed on notes to Graham from people who had good questions when he was writing his second book... and I would post any responces he had for them... sort of his Internet secretary... lol!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a photo of when I brought Graham to the San Clemente pier in 2000 to meet some of the Internet Baja folks... that's Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville next to Graham. As you know Mike is the newest Baja author, published by Sunbelt... Have you ordered 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' yet???...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 11:09 AM
Email from Bonni 1-14-06

Hi David--

First of all, thank you so much for everything you are doing for Graham. I hadn't looked at the Baja Nomad website for a while, and it seems to have really grown into something awesome. Graham had asked me before I left him in LA Bay to check it out--particularly his page!

I tried to clarify Graham's location (los machos) on GAI for the readers who were wondering, especially hoping that if anyone was "happening" upon that area with a marine radio, they could contact him. i.e., There is no satellite phone! He only has a 5-watt, hand-held, AA-battery powered radio that can't reach LA Bay. He will be monitoring certain standard channels, and only if he hears a boat or plane in his vicinity, in order to save on batteries. Apparently the gingos use a few common channels, and the Mexicans use another couple. (I should have written them down, because he told me what they were!)

In the past, on his other trips, I generally have heard from him via the people he encounters along the way who are kind enough to give me a call or put a letter in the mail from him when they get back to the States. On one of his last nights recently in LA Bay, he was at a restaurant in town with Roger and Jean (owners of Villa Bahia), when a couple came up to him there and said they were the folks who sent me a Valentine's Day letter he had asked them to post while he was on his burro trip (in 1998)...

My best reassurance on this trip is that amongst the fishermen out of LA Bay, with Tony's and Basilio's assistance, any important news he gets out to them will filter down to me. The ejido people were very supportive and interested in his project, but full of warnings, especially about the fat rattlesnakes that might be active all year long. Mike Essary has set a date with Graham in early February when he plans to fly over the camp, speak with him via radio, and possibly drop some things off his plane. If I get any news, I'll send it along to you.

I also wanted to say a big thank you for posting the letter from Henry and Carol on Baja Nomad. They have been retired at Pete's camp for a number of years and are meeting a long term goal of now retiring to their home on the Isle of Wight (she is English) in May. What a blow at their leaving Baja, if there had been no way foreseen to recover the animal shelter. You folks are helping to make it happen.

Hasta luego, Bonni

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 07:03 PM

David, thanks for posting her message.

HI BONNI!

Thanks for the note. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but I have met su esposo, Graham, and have really enjoyed his books very much! I just wish I could share a rattlesnake kebob with him out there overlooking the bay! (con salsa picante)

Best of luck 2 both of you.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 10:07 AM
This post now qualifies

as a trip report if we can expect continuing episodes of "Survivor, La Guardia". :rolleyes:

Why not post this riveting account of man vs. the elements over there?

Of course, I'm sure it won't have the commercial impact desired on THAT board......are we to look forward to two months of pre-sale pimping of the next book here?

I'm with you Braulio.......21st Century American television has twisted the meaning of the word "reality". :?:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 06:43 PM

Hook, it is not a trip report yet... well by me, anyway!

I think it is being well 'discussed' on the discussion board... Once a trip is finished, then it can become a trip report... Unless Doug wants to make a 'TRIP IN PROGRESS' forum???;D:light::tumble:

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.