BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 05:52 PM
My God !

He's still alive???? How is this possible??

Aren't the daytime highs, like, in the 70s and humidity in the 40s?

And CROWS, too!!!

C'mon, now, he MUST have earned "immunity" in a competition with that member of the KAYAK tribe he encountered, no? Or did members of the PANGA tribe come to his aid?

Predicted next episode of Survivor: La Guardia...........SNAKES!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
is this thread an "infomercial" for Graham's next book or what?!:P:rolleyes:;):spingrin:

Sure, why not... if that's how you see it... It has to do with camping on a Baja island, with no means of independently leaving it (ie. 'marooned')... and that is interesting to plenty who come here.

I hope he writes a fourth book... his other three were a great read at a fantastic bargain for the entertainment and information they provide.

Anyone who writes a Baja book will get my support, as I don't have a problem with helping Baja people share their stories. Thank God Doug has this forum so we all can learn more and exchange stories about Baja. I wish more would take the time to share their stories (old or new)!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yah, I'm hyper on Baja... That's not in dispute... What I don't understand is why anyone let's that bother them to the degree that they take time to post negative comments?

If just seeing my posts is so irritating, there are two Baja forums I never go to, and three others I post very little at... So, go there... Baja Nomad isn't the only game in town... just the best IMHO, and most read.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:46 PM

i read his book on the walk down the peninsula with mision the burro and liked most of it OK. i may read the into a desert place epoch but that read about spending time alone with his dogs on the mountain for 3 months........sorry Graham.....too boring for me, not my cup a joe.
good luck on the isla. maybe you'll find some pirate's treasure or some other stash!! watch out for the motta runners though, they hi speed it on converted PT boats at nite headed for El Golfo where they unload. scary dudes amigo ,Cuidado!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:54 PM

The third book has chapters on the condor program in Baja, Mexican wild fire management we could learn from, eating wild mushrooms and how easy one could eat the wrong ones... other things certain mushrooms do... the observatory across the canyon from Diablo mountain... the padres mission the mountain range is named after..., almost being struck by lightning (see tree hit near his tent), and more.

Mike, you cannot judge a book by its cover... Plus you met the man at Viva Baja #3 shortly after he finished that experience.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 07:36 PM
That mushroom on the cover ...

..... amanita muscaria or better known as the Fly Agaric are very common in forests. These mushrooms contain alkaloids that cause mind expanding hallucinations. They also contain toxins that will make you ill.
I read that Graham was eating mushrooms in the Sierra Martir of Baja. He was smart enough not to trust his own limited knowledge and eat unidentified mushrooms. So he relied on his wife to show him which mushrooms to pick and consume.

Either his wife is an accomplished mycologist or they are both crazy. Even experts have trouble identifing many fungus which share common traits. Sometimes it takes a chemical reagent or microscopy in order to delineate them.

But if Graham ate the pictured mushroom than it might account for his toughness and determination and his way out trips:lol:....

Way back when in the northen latitudes of Europe when Norsemen fought dearly for their lands they drew upon the gods to help them in their conquests.
They also drew upon reindeer and mushrooms to bolden their warriors. It is said that the reindeer would eat the Fly agaric and it would thereby spike their urine. The warriors would collect this urine and drink it before battle. The stimulant and highly intoxicating beverage made for a fiercesome warrior.
AS the men charged they enemy stark naked and screaming wildly the enemy would be convinced they were of evil making and would usually high-tail it.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
is this thread an "infomercial" for Graham's next book or what?!:P:rolleyes:;):spingrin:

YES!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 08:27 PM

OK wise-ass, the last mushrooms I ate were yesterday at The Olive Garden. I had the Ravioli de Portobello. They sucked. I was ,however, in the company of 8 lovely ladies. These were my employees and it was my treat because of a good rating we obtained due to their efforts. They got to pick the place. OG is new to Yuma and they thought it was "elegant". I did not. I have to admit I've never been to Italy, but I've been to New York, San Francisco and Philadelphia and I think OG is to Italian Food what Taco Bell is to Mexican. But, they enjoyed it and I got off cheap, a C-note and a half with a magnum of the house Bianco. Frankly I've had better ravioli out of a Chef Boyardee can, but I just smiled and filled up on the damn breadsticks.

Many, many years ago, I did eat teonanacatl in Juautla de Jimenez, Oaxaca. Maybe the effects still linger...

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 08:32 PM

Cool story :wow: Sharskbaja

Does anyone know if there any water on the island?

While back I was talking with Ruben Daggett and he mentioned there was some kind of oasis with palm trees on th east side? Is this true....:D
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I have to admit I've never been to Italy, but I've been to New York, San Francisco and Philadelphia

Yes, but on different occasions?

BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 08:35 PM

Hows that?
On occasional downpuors? perhaps .....
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 09:02 PM

I just ordered all three of Grahems books. I've spent some time on Laguardia and can't wait to hear what he has to say about his time spent there.

Bud;D
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Bottom line for me is that Graham is probably computer literate enough to hype his own stuff here if he wanted.

But first he'd probably have to mooch someone's computer.

I didn't enjoy the first book. I started it thinking "he must be a likeable chap because folks are always helping him out". Which progressed to "thank goodness that ranchero was nice enough to give him water. Good thing that pangero passed by when he did. Nice of the couple to give him a ride, and that guy to send the message to his wife". Towards the end, "ok, who's going to bail him out next?".

I would enjoy a book by a person who carefully plans and invests in their own equipment which allows them to be as self-sufficient as possible on a excursion to remote parts of Baja.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I have to admit I've never been to Italy, but I've been to New York, San Francisco and Philadelphia

Yes, but on different occasions?

No, all at once when I ate the shrooms.:rolleyes:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 02:02 PM
what a shame....

to see what started out as such a cool thread degenerate into name-calling and grade school B.S....the way I see it is that a few people dont deem what Graham is doing as having any importance and maybe even believe that they themselves could do what he does or something even better...but after reading his first two books I am quite sure there are things he has done on his travels that almost no one on this forum would even consider,the fact that what he's currently doing is probably less dangerous and life threatening doesnt change that...I actually find it kind of ironic that people on the internet are rousting a guy who's actually out there on an adventure that many of us could only dream of doing....I guess there right when they say "Some go while others watch" and some of those watching are such attention deprived folks that all they can do is go on the internet and put the guy down...really makes no sense:rolleyes:

MexMike

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 03:47 PM

Just registered - looks interesting. But I have to say a few of you have the wrong impression about Graham. I've spent quite a bit of time with him - in San Pedro de Martir delivering condors, in LA Bay on a film shoot, and have listened to his plans and reasons for his trip to Isla Guarda. He has to make a living like we all do, but his "real" motivation is experiencing unusual aspects of Baja and then sharing his experiences. But then, there is always spin on any person/situation on message boards. Thought you all might like some first person input. Dropping off some basics for Graham by plane next week - more for the experience than the need, but those are the things that make life exciting!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 04:28 PM

Foster Brooks' 1st wife died eating poisonous mushrooms. His 2nd wife died of a fractured skull......she wouldn't eat the mushrooms!!:bounce::spingrin:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 08:53 PM

Jesus, there's a lot of b-tching here. If you don't like it don't read it. Who gives a chit. His books are entertaing and that's it. They are not going to win any literary prizes but they are a nice escape for when I can't make it myself. Put it thru the DK filter and get over it. Try reading one too many Hemingway books and then pass judgement.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 09:10 PM

David, I am really interested in any updates from Graham. If you choose not to keep adding them here, please send them to me via email or pass my addy along to Bonni. I'm not sure what the deal is with this forum? Seems like every other thread I read is people bashing each other...

:?: :no:

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 10:02 PM

Unless I'm mistaken Braulio,
Graham is on an island w/no internet access.
Quit being a whiny b-tch.
On edit: who cares if it is commercial....... like the internet is some bastion of purity.

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by soulpatch]
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2006 at 10:43 PM

I support no censorship.
It's just that the DK hatership is so overdone. Who cares, I don't. Maybe Doug should create an " I hate DK category".
Back to the original spirit of things: It's just one man's journal, basically, that he writes up that we can choose to buy or not.......... way less harmfulll than ET Tonight.
I just think all the indignation is way overdone. I'll stay out of it after this because it is just becoming a novella now. Frankly, I could give a flock.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.