BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda: 6-06 PHOTOS POSTED!
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Hey Bud - welcome to the board - this is the first I'd noticed any of your posts.

I just finished "Into a Desert Place" - I was going to submit an unsolicited review - but on second thought it'd probably upset some of folks on this board - besides that stuff is all subjective anyway.

But just between you and me - save yourself some time and money and pick up this book directly:

Thank's Braulio. Wish I would have known that when we ordered them. My wife got all three through Amazon.com the other night. I have a business in Lemon Grove and probably could have walked to his house from there. Thanks for the info anyways though.

Anybody with the nads to walk 3K through Baja has got to have some interesting stories to tell. I've driven through most of it and I can tell you, I sure as heck would want to walk it.

Bud:o

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by Bud]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud

Anybody with the nads to walk 3K through Baja has got to have some interesting stories to tell. I've driven through most of it and I can tell you, I sure as heck would want to walk it.

Bud:o

No way Bud, why would you want to??

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 12:52 AM

Quote:

No way Bud, why would you want to??

heh heh! Well, the slower you go the more you see. If the yahoo's I go down there with wouldn't drive like they were in the Baja 1K I would do every trip in 4x4 granny gear. As it is they spend a lot of time sitting at intersections waiting on me. haha!

Bud:lol:

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by Bud]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
to see what started out as such a cool thread degenerate into name-calling and grade school B.S....

It is called:

- call a spade a spade
- devil's advocate
- truth in adervertising
- exploiting the true
- two sides of the coin
- etc, etc...

Sorry you can't handle that. Your problem not mine.

PS: ********************************************

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by BajaNomad]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 06:02 AM

yeah, Oladulce..... i felt the same way about the prose and his "way" of barely getting by with out the hapless luck and help of the indigents, well put.
But Graham's a great guy who i'd never bash personally, maybe critique his work under fair game laws, and i'd welcome campfire tales with him anytime.

In the literary class of Steinbeck or Hemmingway?......decidedly not. just my pea pecker brain's opinion!:lol::lol::lol: he documents well like a college level geography text, good for sleeping.....but as a riviting adventure story teller......uh uh.
And Bonni must be a saint.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yes soulpatch - you are mistaken - we've had no news about Graham since he left for the island - not from DavidK - or anyone else. ...

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by Braulio]

I guessed you are not reading everything... look again! :

"posted on 1-25-2006 at 10:15 PM

Graham letter from the island!"

As for claiming I am hyping or doing an info-mercial, I have only posted emails from Graham and Bonni, and responding to the additional comments you folks have made.

In re-reading each post, I fail to see where I am promoting myself (DK) as a couple have claimed...

The name calling is just childish jealousy and makes those two Nomads look silly.

Graham is telling his own story and I (and our web host) are posting them on the Internet for anyone to enjoy. That is not censorship, that is freedom... Trying to prevent me from posting by bashing me or Graham here is the censorship.

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 09:16 AM

Like I said some time ago, my dog has spent more time in Baja than most of the people on this board. This, like Amigos, is a place for a very few people to share their experiences and the rest to talk about them - or pick them apart. I tired of the criticism, sarcasm and unlimited anonymous opinions (ad nauseum) long ago.

Dr. Drip, alot of these folks will just never have anything more to do than spew forth their winey liberal crapola as they seek to label and defame the few adventurers left with something to share. That is why we are drawn to the desert to eliminate the din of global whining for just a few precious moments of tranquility. You are just a glutten for punishment my friend and I hope they don't like it.

It still amazes me what people will write behind the veil of a keyboard that they would never have the balls to say to you or I in person (well maybe you, they wouldn't talk to me like that)...
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 10:52 AM
other peoples perspectives...

when so blatantly wrong will be met with criticism which is what is happening here...the guy up above talking about how uncool someones posts are is just spewing wasted jibberish,why he even bothers to post such nonsense is hard to understand...sounds like he belongs on a highschool chat forum rather than a place where people who are stoked on Baja adventures meet up and tell tall tales:spingrin::spingrin: David,dont let a few nay-sayers ruin it for the rest of us...keep posting those updates on Graham,I for one cant wait to hear more about his adventure:cool:

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 01:03 PM

YAWN.......

Guess I fell asleep in 7th. grade again.....sorry I woke up on this page.

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by Debra]
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 06:01 PM

Well after getting back from Baja yesterday I am just getting to my nomads reading.

I have just been issued one of only two permits to camp on the islands in the Bay of LA and the Islas Encantadas. We had to pay alot extra to get the permits from Ensenada. I know that the only other outfit in baja legaly able to put feet on the islands is located in Bay of LA. I have no idea who it is but he is probably the one helping out Grahms adventure. I for one am glad to see all of this press comming out about spending time on the islands, maybe it will spark up some business for tours to the islands.

As far as I know the islands in the northern cortez are protected under the bio-sphere laws and there is no people allowed on them unless they hold the proper permits, and carry them on the trip. Much like the islands in La Paz and other parts of mexico when you bring tourists to them you have to give the government the fee per person. That is the little wrist band you get. These fees are seperate from a fishing licence.

On my licence it names the islands that I am able to camp on. Of all of the islands in the Bay of LA there are only a few that are set aside for campers with guides.

I went through the hassle to get the permits when I was approached by some Yoga people who wanted to do fasting and cleansing meditation in the middle of nowhere. I got the permits to make sure I was completely legal for such a client, as it seems more people do yoga than spearfish:biggrin:

Besides packing food for a bunch of people that are not going to eat is a no-brainer:smug:

Anyways, Grahm couldnt have picked a better time to hang out if you ask me.

I have never met the guy, but I can understand why he is loco for baja....If I ever meet him Im gonna tell him

"Dude, I got major bookings off of your island adventure thing...."

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com
http://www.seawolvesunltd.com

[Edited on 1-31-2006 by gonetobaja]
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
when so blatantly wrong will be met with criticism which is what is happening here...the guy up above talking about how uncool someones posts are is just spewing wasted jibberish,why he even bothers to post such nonsense is hard to understand...sounds like he belongs on a highschool chat forum rather than a place where people who are stoked on Baja adventures meet up and tell tall tales:spingrin::spingrin: David,dont let a few nay-sayers ruin it for the rest of us...keep posting those updates on Graham,I for one cant wait to hear more about his adventure:cool:

Well, I have no dog in this fight but, I did recieve all three books last night. And I will be recieveing Braulio's suggestion "Pendejo something or another" Thur. heh heh!
It may take a while for me to read em all but I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.:P

Bud
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 06:32 PM
Hey Bud...

I started with baja burro but actually reccomend starting with "Desert Place"... the interaction between the wandering Brit and the local mexicans makes for some great stories especially when he gets out in some of the more remote spots like the Calamajue fish camp or some of the ranches up in the high desert...I dont want to give away to much of the story but I think the real beauty of the Grahams tale lies within these relationships he forms with the local folks by just showing up in their "neck of the woods"...

Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 08:14 PM

Thank's eetdrt88. I'll do that. Skimmed over it already and it looks like it might be interesting.:yes:

Bud
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 09:30 PM

"La Cueva Peluda"? Sounds like an early 70's bar in Santa Maria, CA, called "The Bearded Clam".:lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Bud - I hope you were serious about ordering the Pendejo Cave book - it really is an interesting theme - they found evidence of man having inhabited the hemisphere much earlier than thought before. I kind of prefer stuff written by more academic types - I guess I just trust them more.

I'll tell you what - if you do a review on Pendejo Cave on the forums, I'll do a review of a bar call "La Cueva Peluda" in Tijuana out toward La Mesa - I've been by it a thousand times - never had the guts to venture inside. It looks dangerous - I may not make it out.

Insisto Bud - bienvenido al foro amigo.

Nope! I wasen't kidding Braulio. Ordered it last night and It'll be delivered this thur. Guess I'll need a little time to read all these book but, I sure will let you know what I think.

That bar sounds interesting. heh heh!

Bud:lol:
BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 11:24 PM

LOts of Ugly hookers.. dont recomend going in there,

if you have blond hair. :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 09:01 AM
Letter from Bonni 2-1-06

Wednesday, February 1, 2006 10:23 AM

This is some infill for the readers who are interested in following Graham's trip to Isla Angel de la Guarda. The letter that Gary (the primo kayaker) sent me is all I've heard from Graham, not surprisingly. We trust he is doing well and I am personally very stoked about this trip.

From my years being with Graham, I know how many people take the time to tell him what his books mean to them. There is also never any denying how many people do not like his brand of travel or writing. He agrees with dissension!

No one thinks he is out there trying to thwart death every day. As for the idea of being "marooned," this thread opens with a copy of a personal Christmas email to David K. From the next letter, which Graham actually wrote to Baja Nomad readers, he's used quotes to show the humor intended with the word. Sorry that got lost. Mentioning his book intentions took on a life of it's own, too.

Today I'm bringing a letter for Graham to Mike, who will be flying over the island around Feb. 6. His "drop" is limited to about 20 pounds (beer and chocolate!) as weight is very tight on a light plane and they are en route from parts elsewhere in Baja. Like he indicated in his post, Mike is doing this for mostly his own experience--but it will sure be appreciated. He will let us know what the latest is on Graham when he can.

Two other friends are going to join Graham for about a week around Feb. 22. They will also be able to let me know any news from him when they return. He has his foibles to be sure, but is not hiding them and making any great claims. Anyone is welcome in his camp to enjoy with him some of the best that Baja, or even the world, has to offer. He is one lucky person to be out there.

Thanks to all the people who have expressed support for Graham. He realizes completely how he has been helped by so many people he's encountered, or possibly doesn't even know, over the years. Will let you know what's up when I hear.

Bonni

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 12:33 PM

I don't know Graham, but he seems to be applying the same approach to finding adventure and danger in Baja California that Uncle Erle used successfully. Nothing wrong with that.

At least he isn't irritating resort owners by expecting them to provide free board and room for himself and a lot of camp followers.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
I don't know Graham, but he seems to be applying the same approach to finding adventure and danger in Baja California that Uncle Erle used successfully. Nothing wrong with that.

At least he isn't irritating resort owners by expecting them to provide free board and room for himself and a lot of camp followers.

I would tend to agree. It only gets harder to find that exclusive untamed and unvisited place. The proximity to the U.S. is obviously a great advantage.
In fact thats' what appeals to our family is the fact that we can actually drive to our paradise.
I do think he's got some large cajones even though he is (physically) well supported in his efforts.

Graham, being such of one with the earth most likely leaves a very soft footprint where he treads. This is good. He also has great compassion as he showed with his canine escapades.
If he has good fortune in his solo endeavours so be it, he's earning it.
He is counting on an audience however, but then, who isn't!;)
I am curious about others who have spent extended periods on that island and others.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-3-2006 at 07:25 AM

How about an interview with 2 brothers who have paddled..yup, paddled... and spent almost all their lives in places like the one GM is visiting? Go to the south end of Coyote Bay between Sta. Barbera Cove and Coyote campbeach and you will find Kino and his brother at their fish camp most winters. Now they are not adventurers in the sense we use or even doing something they consider dangerous. They are just fishermen living on islands and bare coasts for the last 50 years or so. We have boat-dropped them a thing or two over the last 30.

It's their life. Wonder what they would think about writing a book?

[Edited on 2-3-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.