[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:23 AM

...equal opportunity...

Everyone gets a chance to WIN the red or green...:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 07:27 AM

After you have made your declaration without inspection, you still have the opportunity to have to unpack everything and go through piece by piece if you get the red light.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 10:14 AM

The first time they are looking to confirm the items on your list only. Then you close up everything, do the paperwork, walk over and pay, and push the button and , as Judy said "you are given another opportunity" to receive a more detailed inspection of all your stuff.

As far as crossing the border in the wee hours of the morning so Aduana might be slacking off (?)- this seems like it could backfire to me. I worked the Night shift in ICU for a very brief period and those of us not cut out for all-night duty would be looking for things to do to help stay awake. Gimme the sickest patients with the most tubes, drains and other tasks so I could stay busy (awake). My comatose patients were squeaky clean because they would get at least one bath at my worst time, around 3 am.

If you're the only one in that big ol Aduana parking lot at night or the early am and you have items to declare and pay duty on, seems like you might receive a more thorough inspection than during the day when the lot is full of people and buses, and a truck towing a trailer takes up way too much space in their parking lot for them to keep you very long.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 10:29 AM

Here's something to consider:

If you get your visa at San Ysidro you will have to 'push the button' to get out. Doesn't matter if you are not declaring.

BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 01:46 AM

All went well. Inspector looked at my list totaling around 900 dollars, transcribed a few of the items onto the official paperwork, and asessed a duty of about 95 dollars. Never even looked into the trailer. At those rates and hassle freeness, it's worth the piece of mind to declare, in my opinion. Thanks to everyone for the advice and experiences.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 05:51 AM

We went through San Ysidro in Sept with a 4x6 cargo trailer and never considered going to the Declare lane as it was stuff we were taking for a 3 month stay and then bringing back. We didn't get the red light and we didn't get waved over! We thought nothing of it til our neighbors did the same thing and got waved over. They had a small pickup with a tarp covering the bed. Contents were the same -- household stuff for a 3 month stay. But next time we'll probably go to Declare just to cover our butts:P
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 08:37 AM
DECLARE!

Since this thread started I have sold my Yuma house (unexpectedly) and showed up at Algodones with stuff piled up on my Tacoma 6' high & lawn furniture on top of that, pulled to the left into the declare lane and two customs guys rushed over to shake my hand and welcome me to Mexico!
Smiling all the time they asked what all that stuff was and how much was it worth? Playing the game I said $300 and we had FM-3s, they said well maybe inventory it then ??
Did I want to set more value on it before we went to unload, since a lot of it was truly valueless to anyone except the wife I said set a price or inventory. They talked it over for a second and said you set the duty, I pulled out a twenty in each hand and all was smiles and "Pase". They did not want to unload all that junk and I did not care so we were all happy. I will always go to the declare lane if there is any question what so ever since as stated you then can argue every item with them and their book.
Go to the city park in Calexico and you will see the Mexicans preparing to return to Baja from shopping at the malls by opening every package, removing all tags and prices, crumpling up clothing etc. Then they can pass it as used from the flea market behind the PO.
Smuggling is not worth taking the chance, if it is new stuff like lumber or household goods just pay and go. Just remember if you are caught in the nothing to declare lane you have NO argument left and could be in big trouble if the customs man is having a bad day!
I was just lucky and truly did not know the law when I was caught the first time and I think I convienced them of that so they let me go by paying the duty and getting reammed out.

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:23 AM

Intent to bring it back to the USA has nothing to do with bringing it into Mexico. You are Importing it.
Returning it to the USA you are exporting it from Mexico and impoting it to the USA.
Either country can and will apply restrictions and duties to items. When the US customs asks you if you have anything to declare and you say no and get sent to secondary inspection and they find something on the "BAD" list you are in more trouble than you may think!
First even if then let you slide on an "BAD" item, for instance you have 4 cans of beer instead of the 3 allowed, OK throw 1 in the dumpster, but what they do not tell you is that they then put your licence # on the "watch list" and you will find your self in secondary often if you are a frequent crosser.
And if you think they do not track you and take pictures you are foolish. I got on the "Watch" list through a registration mistake by my dealership, I was crossing often. I went to Calexico, US customs put note on windshield " Suspicious Character" for secondary inspection, OK. Went to San Louis crossing, got note for secondary inspection "Dangerous Animal on board" 12 Customs, Agriculture and DEA agents and dogs crowded into my 21' motor home!! they tore it apart, broke the reefer door, spilled Corn Starch, open a quart of Mayo and stirred it with a screwdriver etc, etc! I was PO by then and threw a fit and got the head man out there, they then tried to cite me for having a Avocado which is legal in AZ , then got me for having 1 slice of ham (from Frys) OH BAD!! banned item! After 1 1/2 hours let go with a warning. BTW, I have no animal! I have a friend who is retired from that district of Customs, telling him the story he said that was mild compared to some! I got off the watch list (In a undisclosed manner) and get a pass every time since,. But take no chances, I would rather deal with a smiling Mexican Customs man than a frowning US one. I actually had one ask me why anyone with any sense would go to Mexico? I told him it was so ex-Marines could have a job, I guess I was lucky not to go back on the "Watch this 70 year old subversive Mexico traveler".

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
We went through San Ysidro in Sept with a 4x6 cargo trailer and never considered going to the Declare lane as it was stuff we were taking for a 3 month stay and then bringing back. We didn't get the red light and we didn't get waved over! We thought nothing of it til our neighbors did the same thing and got waved over. They had a small pickup with a tarp covering the bed. Contents were the same -- household stuff for a 3 month stay. But next time we'll probably go to Declare just to cover our butts:P

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:31 AM

Great story Max!

Good spelling of Algodones, too!:biggrin: Oso will be so happy!:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 10:00 AM

Ont time several years ago, I pulled in with a generator in the back of my P/u. The imigration guy said pull over to customs - not allowed or maybe pay duty. I pulled over and we could not find the customs inspector. Waited about 10 minutes talking and finally decided I would give him the duty - I offered 400NP and he said "No se?or, too much" and would only take 200NP.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 06:14 PM

I know that mcgyver character, he is all bad! Polly is great, though, she is on my WiW List. Hi Max!:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 06:49 PM
Is 50/50 OK We each get to win.

A few years ago I had a big load of stuff for the place in San Nicolas which had to go in the 8' pickup bed 3/4 ton utility trailer behind the camper. To enclose the trailer I built 4' high sides and framed and sheathed a roof and put corrugated roofing on it. I loaded up my stuff and had good legit receipts for everything. I declared at customs, paid about $135. and was on my way. The overloaded trailer waddled all the way down the peninsula. On arrival I unloaded and started disassembling the enclosure. There had been 13 rafters and all the walls were double 3/4" plywood with 2x4's sandwiched between. The roofing was multi-layered, as was the sheathing. I poured a 7 x 8 foot slab and turned the enclosure into a nice storage shed.

The thing was so top-heavy that before I'd drive it through California, in addition to the stock shocks, I'd added two air shocks and a tortion bar!!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 04:37 AM
Watch List

I know that Neal Johns too!! And I am going to report him for taking all them women to Mexico!
Polly says she is ready now!:yes::rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
I know that mcgyver character, he is all bad! Polly is great, though, she is on my WiW List. Hi Max!:lol::lol::lol:

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 05:06 AM

We are finding that building a house is all about decisions. What color should it be? Tile or granite? Which light fixtures? What kind of windows and doors? Should we get them in Mexico or import from the states? It's mind boggling, it's frustrating, and it's a whole lot of fun.

Consider if you will a fellow we know. Since he is having his house built in a semi tropical area, the recommendation of his builder is to use only hardwood interior doors and jams. Doors such as this, although very pretty, come at a substantial price. To purchase the doors made of imported wood from a local craftsman in Mexico would be too expensive. However, as luck would have it for our friend, his super-shopper wife found similar doors at a retailer in San Diego that got them from the wholesaler in Los Angeles that imported them from the manufacturer in Bolivia. Eleven fine mahogany doors purchased on the global market would soon grace their new home.

There were only two minor problems with this scenario. One, the doors and jams were unfinished. This required the fellow to set up a production line on his driveway in order to paint coat after coat of marine varnish on the beautiful wood. Paint, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, etc. for about two weeks.

The other fly in the ointment was the complication of the importation of the doors and a whole bunch of other stuff he had accumulated (solar panels, electrical switches, roof sealer, and so on) across the border into Mexico. It seems that NAFTA has opened up the border to all kinds of commerce for big shot manufactures of TVs, autos and so forth, but when the little guy wants to bring some materials across for personal use they gig him with a 25-35% import duty. One has to go to the border, hire an import broker, file the necessary paperwork, fork over lots of money and at last go on one's somewhat less than merry way. Our friend was having none of that!

He stewed on it for days. He didn't sleep at night thinking about it. He mentally packed his pickup truck over and over again to make it look like he and his wife were just innocent tourists on a camping trip. His wife told him not to worry. What would be the worse thing that could happen? She asserted that the officials would simply turn the wayward tourists around at the border, with instructions about how to properly import the goods. He had visions of grim faced bureaucrats impounding his truck and throwing them both in a third world gulag for smugglers and dope fiends.

At last the morning of the crossing came. The goods were piled high in the camper shell making the bed they slept on much closer to the ceiling than usual. Assorted camping goods and a porta-potty were strategically placed near the rear door. At the suggestion of his wife he laid his favorite surfboard on top of the whole mess. "We are going camping on the beach, that's all."

When you cross the border you have two choices; go through the single "something to declare" lane, or bomb through one of several "nothing to declare just go for it" lanes. In the former you stop at the kiosk, show them your goods and receipts, grit your teeth, pay the duty and so forth? not for our friend. In the latter you drive past a signal light hoping to not even have to use your brakes. Usually the light stays green and you are on your way. Just to keep everyone honest, it randomly turns red and a poor soul gets waved over to the declare side for a little inspection. Our pal got the red light.

As he pulled over to the inspection area his wife said "Just be calm, honey it's only a surfing trip." Right, he thought as he pried his fingers off the steering wheel. The official approached his window and asked to look in the back of the truck. "Of course, no problema" said our friend. With as steady a hand as possible he unlocked the padlock on the back door. As the official climbed up on the bumper to examine the cargo our friend's emotional dam burst and a torrent of phrases gushed forth in Spanglish. "Si, vamos a camping in Los Cabos. Voy a surfing. Las olas son muy grande. Si, tenemos muchas equipment para el campo. Mi esposa es muy high maintenance. Somos so excited!" The official took a brief look in the back, gave a small yawn and said "Buen viaje." That was it? All that preparation and worry for a yawning "nice trip."

The tension melted away as he sped south through Tijuana at daybreak. His wife sipped her coffee and smiled.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 01:10 PM

Good story Jefe ! Funny how your (and your friend's) experiences parallel ours so often. Our trailer is already full of building supplies for the next trip and we'll claim and pay import on many items, but I really would like to disguise alot of stuff.

Mr oladulce says he's already having dreams about packing and various "getting caught" scenarios. The poor guy- I think I'll give in and ok importing with a broker this time if he wants. We'll probably save money on his Gastro-doctor bills for his impending ulcer in the long run anyway.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 09:45 AM

When they take your vehicle you begin to wonder about the "nothing to declare" lane.

:no:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 04:32 PM

TOO TRUE Baja Lou !

I honestly did not know that they COULD & WILL and came very close to loosing a brand new Tacoma. I took the time to read the actual Mexican Customs Laws after that. If there is any doubt in my mind at all I declare! Then 4 out of 5 times they past you anyway. Nearly every time someone pulls in to camp and laughs about going through to "Nothing to Declare" lane with a big load of stuff I quake to think that next time they will call for a ride from the pokey because their rig is impounded.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
I'm always amazed at stories gringos tell about smuggling stuff in. I guess they think the Mexicans are stupid. And these same folks would never, ever think of doing the same thing Northbound.

Remember, all it takes is meeting up with the wrong agent on the wrong day.

Dave, I don't think that most people assume Mexicans are "stupid", I think the problem might be (as it is with myself) that the "rules" never seem to be consistant, I'm more than happy to pay whatever duty is the law, but, Please just let me know, as a woman traveling alone. usually with my young son, and once with my younger g-daughter, what I'm NOT willing to do is leave my children alone while I'm taken away to figure the whole thing out.....

I only carry camping gear (I think) but, who is to say? Camping gear? My camping gear might be someone elses "home" supplies......:?:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.