Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Small Inverters ?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 09:35 PM

I have a 1500W I got at Costco well over a year ago for about $80 and run my place with it. Not true sinewave but everything I use works OK with it. Including computers and printers, telephone system etc.

[Edited on 12-29-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 10:13 PM

Not familiar with the Costco special but I'd be leary of any inverter that cheap. There are a lot of shortcuts that you can do when building an inverter to get the price down.

Another trick is to list the surge capacity and not the continuous capacity.

Of course mine is also a 3 stage 135 amp charger with temperature compensation and equalization mode. It is programmable and is remote monitored and controlled. It'll even make coffee and vacuum the carpet (just kidding on those last two).

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 10:18 PM

When are you heading down Tand T ?
We cross mid February for 4-6 weeks. See ya there ??
Have you checked out the Lyle/Klickitat County website ?
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
When are you heading down Tand T ?
We cross mid February for 4-6 weeks. See ya there ??
Have you checked out the Lyle/Klickitat County website ?

I'm crossing around Feb 3 but, thanks to the new rules regarding RV's and toads, I'm heading down the west coast of the mainland this year. I might take a ferry across to Baja on my trip back though. I don't plan that far ahead :biggrin:

I didn't know Lyle had a website! Do you have the URL?

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 09:23 AM

http://community.gorge.net/lyle/index.htm
I'm sure you'll see some familiar sites.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
http://community.gorge.net/lyle/index.htm
I'm sure you'll see some familiar sites.

Yeah, I did. Thanks for the link.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 04:12 PM

Hose A,

If that price and size are correct, it's a steal (and maybe it was). A 1500W inverter runs around $125 and up in the states. That might be a counterfit unit.

Just be warned, Xantrex doesn't build a 1500W inverter under the Xantrex label. The closest they have is 1750W. They do build a 1500W under the xPower label but even those run over $100 dollars.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 04:24 PM

..let the buyer beware:spingrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-29-2005 at 04:54 PM

..it still is a GREAT deal!!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
Hose A,

If that price and size are correct, it's a steal (and maybe it was). A 1500W inverter runs around $125 and up in the states. That might be a counterfit unit.

Just be warned, Xantrex doesn't build a 1500W inverter under the Xantrex label. The closest they have is 1750W. They do build a 1500W under the xPower label but even those run over $100 dollars.

Actually, that's not totally correct.

I have in my hand the invoice for a Xantrex DR1512 Inverter. That's 1500 watts at 12 volts. It has a battery charger of 70 amp, depending on AC input, and a 30 amp AC relay for switch over.

I haven't taken the inverter out of the box as it is my back up for my DR 2412 Xantrex.

It is also the official 'white and green' color. Wanna see a pic?

The cost for this unit from KYOCERA in Scottsdale was $675.00 delivered to southern Arizona.

[Edited on 12-30-2005 by mexibob]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hose A,

I have a XPower by Xantrex - have been using it well over a year to supply all of my home needs in a solar comunity. It was less than $80 at Costco in Calif.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 09:55 AM

Yes Lou, Right! We have bought 3 of them at Costco, but think they now have them no longer! Same inverter, same price!!
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexibob
Quote:
Hose A,

Actually, that's not totally correct.

I have in my hand the invoice for a Xantrex DR1512 Inverter. That's 1500 watts at 12 volts. It has a battery charger of 70 amp, depending on AC input, and a 30 amp AC relay for switch over.

I haven't taken the inverter out of the box as it is my back up for my DR 2412 Xantrex.

It is also the official 'white and green' color. Wanna see a pic?

The cost for this unit from KYOCERA in Scottsdale was $675.00 delivered to southern Arizona.

[Edited on 12-30-2005 by mexibob]

Actually I was referring to straight inverters, no charger, no ATS, no extra's, just an inverter. I know that they make the 1500's in DR and other lines, just not straight inverters.

Check their website Xantrex

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 10:57 AM

I have a XPower (Zantrex) bought at Costco couple years ago. Model 1200 which produces 1,000 watts. But it is not a cigarette 'plug in' type. I like the idea of wiring into the vehicles battery system over the 'plug in'.
I have done business with RVSolar Electric in Scottsdale Az for the past 13 years. I have bought 8- 48Watt panels for myself & relatives, including regulators. It's EZ to hook up. I say that because I have no mechanical abilities. My hands understand pencils & pens. Not tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RVSolar Electric has a great website with prices etc. They also sell a couple books telling you in layman terms how it works, and how to make it work, and how to do it. I bought them, and they were great. I also have a small trickle charger solar panel about 14" long by 5 " wide that I use to keep my pickup batteries (diesel) charged via the cigarette lighter. But I don't try to use any chargers etc in conjunction with it. Solar panels are the answer. I have two 48 watt panels connected side by side with 40' of wiring to my regulator that feeds my two trojan six volters & one 12 volt HD r.v battery in my motorhome. I have installed a used garage sale camera tripod to the panels, and several times a day, I move the panels to obtain the maxiumum sunlight. I'm usually charging 4 amps into the system and have never found the batteries to be drawn down. But I am a conservative user. No toasters, frying pans, etc. I have a 12 volt charged blender. 12volt t.v./vhs television, laptop computer. Gets me by and I haven't installed the Xantrex yet, as haven't seen a need for it yet. This all works for me. Others will have different needs, and different opinions.
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 11:06 AM

My bad, after all of the discussion of remote control, temperature compensation and three-stage battery charging with equalization, I thought you had progressed beyond the 'less technical' inverters.

Check my favorite site for full time solar living; http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/inverter-folde...

For those of you that may be interested I have a DC to DC inverter project that can run your Direcway Satellite modem(s) from one single 12 volt DC source.

The larger style can power your laptop as well.

Free for the asking are the plans and links to the needed parts.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 11:41 AM

Nah, that was just me, bragging a little. :rolleyes:

The real topic is a small plug-in inverter to charge batteries in power tools, radios, laptops, etc.

I may be interested in your DC/DC inverter later. I'm going to be checking out satellite internet while in Quartzsite next month.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Nah, that was just me, bragging a little. :rolleyes:

The real topic is a small plug-in inverter to charge batteries in power tools, radios, laptops, etc.

I may be interested in your DC/DC inverter later. I'm going to be checking out satellite internet while in Quartzsite next month.

If you want you can check out the DW systems with 'los frailes' here. He's a certified, real guy, installer down there in Santa Rosalia.

He might be able to do you better than a stateside enterprise would. Unless of course you are looking at the Datastorm satellite system.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 12:17 PM

Thanks, but right now I'm in Phoenix, next stop Quartzsite AZ and then on to Guadalajara via Mex 15.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-30-2005 at 06:15 PM
XPower 1500

I have purchased numerous XPower 1500 by Xantrex from Costco at 85 Bucks each for myself and others down here. No one I have talked to has had a problem with them in constant operation for over a year now. I've got two on a shelf in the garage for the day when my Trace 2500 has a problem. Best deal I've seen for the money.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 09:18 AM

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/xpower_400_p.html

Anyone have any experience with these all-in-one deals ?
Looks like a good deal for all it does.
Can I use a chord (or jumper cables) to charge the batteries instead of the lighter plug?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.