Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Prices of used kayaks
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:35 PM

My dos pesos, Phil -

I'm partial to my Ocean kayak, sit-on-top.
pros:
- Easy to jump in and out of the water to cool off while paddling.
- Easy to dive in for snorkling and tow the boat behind you.
- Easy to fish out of. You can sit side-ways with your feet in the water when reeling them in, releasing, and changing lures.
- The ability to swing your legs around to sit forward, side ways, and backwards is great for exploring, bird watching around islands, and taking photos also.
- Novice-kayaker friendly.
- They can take a lot of abuse. Drag em up on the beach, bump into rocks while you're looking down at the fish, etc. One of ours blew off the top of our camper while we were driving throught the desert and landed in an arroyo. We used a hair dryer to smooth out the scratches and are still using it 17 years later.

cons:
- They don't do well in strong winds. As long as you anticipate that the wind may come up and plan your explorations accordingly, this won't hold you back.

Other comments:
1.Our Friends and relatives who started off with 2-seaters eventually went to individual boats for the flexibility. (not comfortable to paddle a 2-seater by yourself).
2. I agree with Marinero. They can handle hot desert sun for transporting but store in the shade whenever possible and you'll get years of use.
3. Longer models are easier if the wind comes up and more comfortable for longer trips.
4. I have fried the tops of my feet a few times and now bring a pillowcase to keep feet and lower legs out of the sun.

You'll be able to get your own chocolates. Bring limones in your boat and eat them right there.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 09:27 AM

Again, thanks for all the input. Everyone has their preferences & experiences. Witnessed by the diversity of the members of this board. The information you all are providing me will eventually result in my narrowing down my choices by considering others experiences. Been a burning desire for the past 15 years I've been coming down, to own one. With all this help, I'll hopefully have the "right" one.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 10:11 AM

Re: Night Paddle: " I think you'd probably have to be already pretty dedicated to think that would be a good idea. "

Au contraire. Kayaking is not a wet water sport if you know what you're doing. With a wicking top, quick dry bottoms, a spray skirt, a hat (75% of body heat escapes from the head), you're plenty cozy. The reflection of the city lights on the glassy bay is mesmerizing, and usually without any breeze or wind to contend with -- in short, perfect paddling conditions.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

"The fact that there is such a variety merely indicates that EVERYBODY is different."
Very flawed logic. Certain boats and features are required for specific needs and usage regardless of the fact that everybody is different (which is a meaningless fact in this context).
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 10:34 AM
RE: Au Contraire

Wilderone Quote: " Kayaking is not a wet water sport if you know what you're doing. With a wicking top, quick dry bottoms, a spray skirt, a hat (75% of body heat escapes from the head), you're plenty cozy. The reflection of the city lights on the glassy bay is mesmerizing, and usually without any breeze or wind to contend with -- in short, perfect paddling conditions.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now, since you were suggesting a $10.00 NIGHT excursion in San Diego to someone as an INTRODUCTION to the joys of kayaking, it goes without saying that they would not be someone "who knows what they are doing". I have said many times before that the phrase "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it" , is an absurd response. If need be, I'm sure I could fill up a volume pointing out instances where that attitude would be inappropriate. Besides, I was not "knocking it" for anyone who enjoys it, simply pointing out that it might not be a way that a novice would want to begin.

Then again, I have sat in the c-ckpit of my sailboat in San Diego Bay many, many nights over the years and have never been "Mesmerized", so perhaps I'm missing something.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 07:33 PM

I sold a two seat er 3 months ago for 300 dollars in fair condition only needed a new rudder

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Definitely do not get a sit-on-top.

Quote:
So don't waste your money on a sit-on-top -- get a REAL kayak, which will cover all the options.

Quote:
"The fact that there is such a variety merely indicates that EVERYBODY is different."
Very flawed logic. Certain boats and features are required for specific needs and usage regardless of the fact that everybody is different (which is a meaningless fact in this context).

I'm mesmerized by your wisdom. :lol:

I'll stick with my unREAL sit on top. :lol:
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 11:07 PM

Speaking of night paddling, one of my fondest memories is of a beautifully calm night camped at Punta La Gringa at BOLA. My wife and I paddled directly into the reflection of a huge full moon for a half hour or 45 minutes. We didn't paddle hard so I don't think we went too far but it was wonderful. We used our compasses to find our way back and came pretty close to our camp.

Another memorable night paddle was a night at Santaspac, padding around the small island, with turquoise phosphorescence dripping from our paddle blades and streaks of turquoise eminatating from the bow of our kayaks. Small fish would dart away from us leaving steaks of turquoise in the water. That was pretty magical.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 06:50 AM

April and May in the Bay of Conception the fish breed...little needle fish are the most prevelnt.

The phosphorescence is really a sight....
Everytime something moves it glows....

We did the same thing...outstanding. (I still got wet)

The pelicans gave us an hour show one night dancing and diving... it was outstanding:spingrin::spingrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 02:21 PM

" ... so perhaps I'm missing something." You got it.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 02:38 PM

Phil kiwi kayak sells a pontoon kayak called the outback , have 3 or 4 colors also a angler's (fishing) model and on the outback model you can mount a small gas or elect motod , the yaks sell for less than 1000. juut go to kiwi kayak on your puter jim g
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 04:23 PM

Check the ads in San Diego newspapers, the Reader, Boat Trader mags, The Beacon, weeklys, Latitude mag, etc. etc. Also the bulletin board at West Marine, Shelter Island area.

We bought 4 used Ocean Cobra and Navigator sit-on-top, single-person kayaks in Pacific Beach from an ocean kayak outfitter who was upgrading his equipment. We paid about $375 each for these 4-5 years ago, came with backrests, waterproof bags, and he threw in a dolly. They are bulletproof and we use them regulary in our bay. Good hunting.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.