Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cheerful subject matter
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:05 PM
Cheerful subject matter

does not always flow freely from this darn ol' keyboard.

Why?

Baja has sooooooo many "positive" features that appeal to me. This may account for the way I/we react with responsive post(s). Not always a positive response.
Kind of a protectiveness I/we possess in order to slow down(wishful thinking) the inevitable change that the penninsula is experiencing.
It may be possible to thwart the avalanche of land-grabbing incomers by discouraging folks from persuing a comfy life in Bajas' not so crowded places. But not everywhere.

What does that mean?
It might very well just be selfishness. Keeping the place(s) dear to your heart quiet, special and reserved just for you and the occasional accidental discoverer.
Is this how JR felt or was it much deeper?
Do you fear the inevitable shoulder-to-shoulder beaches replete with all the amentities? I think that this underscores how many of us feel. That can be troublesome when sharing these secret (special) gems with others of same mindset.

Like decades ago, only 15 mins from Torrance, Ca one could catch 25 lb lobsters and mucho abalone.
When I reminesce I get angry at what was lost never to return. Then I can't help but to envision a Baja without the splendor that she holds. That scares the hell out of me. Why shouldn't it, I spent decades not only enjoying So. Cals. awesome watersports but also defending the very rocks I used to fish from.
It wasn't without cheers or tears. The wheels of progress can be slowed but not stopped completely. I will never be convinced that all the condos were built with the peoples best interest in mind. Instead, it opens up pathways for the opportunists to get their share whether it's an abalone or a new condo.

Now ain't that cheerful??:lol

next:

How to be happy and still complain.....

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 03:11 PM

Sharks,

You nailed it. We are selfish. Around these parts everybody wants to live near or right on the beach and be left alone. Well, there's not enough beach. The Mexicans around here don't feel that way. At Easter week they like to be chock a block on the beach near the shade -- perhaps 300 to 400 people all huddled together near the music, the shade, the potties. Very few move off to fend for themselves but they have hundreds of miles of pure white sand to camp on. My answer, to escape the "oh no's" is to just live in the moment.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 06:47 PM
Why is living in the moment...

so much easier in Baja?:O:O

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 06:55 PM
Maybe because so many of the moments...

in Baja are spent in places like this;D

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 07:31 PM

well
said
Sharksbaja
I
could
not
agree
more

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 08:53 PM
Progress?

Well, as a California real estate developer (and a long, long, long time Baja traveler) I can only say..... SIGH!!!!!

We used to have NIMBY's (not in my back yard)

Now we have BANANA's (build absolutely nothing, absolutely nowhere, anytime)

The definition of a 'no-growther' or a 'preservationist' is one who has already gotten his place in the sun and wants no one else to cast a shadow.

When folks come to protest one of my projects I ask two questions:

Do you live in a house?
Did you drive a car to get to this meeting?

Case closed.
Sad to say, that's the way it is folks....

If you got it, you want to keep it, and you don't want to share it, and you don't think anyone else deserves it.

YIKES!!! mucha filosofia for a Friday evening...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 09:45 PM
Mi casa es sus casa?

NO way Jose'! I mean EET!

You see this gorgeous beachfront spot completely ignored and undeveloped. How would you like to envision the place?

A) With my big beautiful house on the beach alone
B) An all-inclusive private beachside community
D) Condos, golf courses and friends everywhere
C) The way it stands now.

Choose wisely! You only get one chance:lol: literally!

[Edited on 1-21-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 02:19 PM
heres a shot...

of the community I recently bacame a part of at Km34,my place is just a trailer with an awning but the view is pretty nice and the neighbors seem pretty friendly...Nomads are always welcome to stop by for a cold one;D;D:spingrin:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 02:46 PM

That the stuff, eetdrt88...exactly more of what we need. Good old-fashioned Baja hospitality. Muchas gracias, y mi casu es su casa now more than ever.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 02:55 PM

"Like decades ago, only 15 mins from Torrance, Ca one could catch 25 lb lobsters and mucho abalone."

Hmmmmmm...so YOU'RE the one who was stealing my bugs and abs! And people wonder why us PV boys are so protective of our coves and reefs...it's those damn torrancers coming over to steal, steal, steal......

:biggrin:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 07:23 PM
Kind sir

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
of the community I recently bacame a part of at Km34,my place is just a trailer with an awning but the view is pretty nice and the neighbors seem pretty friendly...Nomads are always welcome to stop by for a cold one;D;D:spingrin:

Eet ,I hope you didn't take my illustrative (derogatory) remark personally.
It was to show how, along with the picture of yours that I modified, the point of the original post. It is a matter of perspective for people to see. Myself, I have mixed feelings about over development(s) of pristine coastlines.

Certainly in reality...mi casa es sus casa. Corky

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 07:37 PM

nice thread, but watcha gonna do? tis the great debate! the genie will never go back into the bottle.

therefore, love it and leave it as you found it....:)

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 07:38 PM
Sculpin

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
"Like decades ago, only 15 mins from Torrance, Ca one could catch 25 lb lobsters and mucho abalone."

Hmmmmmm...so YOU'RE the one who was stealing my bugs and abs! And people wonder why us PV boys are so protective of our coves and reefs...it's those damn torrancers coming over to steal, steal, steal......

:biggrin:

Nope!

:lol: I grew up in Portuguese Bend and dove and fished the rocks for 25 yrs. Maybe we've already met!
P.V.

Many good times and memories there.

also some not so good times..

Rattlers

But I did live in Torrance for a few months.:lol:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 11:03 PM

Oh man....used to ride dirt bikes at peackock flats, and yes, I went to St. John Fishers for a short time..and the gun turrets...and the tree swing above PV Cove..HUGE brown and spider crabs.. and if the south swell was just right......well....you know...I grew up above Lunada, and that whole area was my playground....

sigh....:smug:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 11:54 PM
Schools

Went to Lunada Bay Elementary, Margate & and then P.V. High for a year. Many friends from there. Never surfed the point there but my crazy friends did when the 12ft tubes would form. Surfed Haggartys' more than a few trimes. Yep giant spider crabs..yum. Many tales I have from there! :coolup:

Ever hear of "Hassle Hill", "Spencer" or the "Flats" towards San Pedro. My dirt bike stompin' grounds... oh yea and Ascot :lol::lol: We all grew up on bikes. Man do I love to ride!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 12:34 PM

"Like decades ago, only 15 mins from Torrance, Ca one could catch 25 lb lobsters and mucho abalone. "
I like the way Pompanos open heart is. I have no hard feelings that the people that discovered Baja before me was able to experience and use up some of the bounty of early Baja. I do however feel sad your heart has a selfish side. I am sure if you look inside it is only toward the faceless and not toward the many people that would be your friend.
I hope this is not misunderstood as I too struggle and don't like some of the feelings I have. I try my best to show the good and keep the rest packed away.
Al G

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 01:27 PM

Have you ever been ANYWHERE that wasn't better before?

Um, well ok... Pittsburgh.:rolleyes:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 02:46 PM
More semantics

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
"Like decades ago, only 15 mins from Torrance, Ca one could catch 25 lb lobsters and mucho abalone. "
I like the way Pompanos open heart is. I have no hard feelings that the people that discovered Baja before me was able to experience and use up some of the bounty of early Baja. I do however feel sad your heart has a selfish side. I am sure if you look inside it is only toward the faceless and not toward the many people that would be your friend.
I hope this is not misunderstood as I too struggle and don't like some of the feelings I have. I try my best to show the good and keep the rest packed away.
Al G

Sorry if I am not the "Pollanna" that you would like to hear. S

You obviously don't know me too well Al. But I understand what you are trying to say.
You say selfish, I say protective.

If you read the post carefully, it is a philosophical approach to understand mans' innate desire to protect something dear to them. In this case pristine coastlines. I suppose selfishness is part of human nature and is certainly subjective and can be construed that way. Funny thing is back in the 60s and 70s there wasn't a problem with "not enough beach or game" so being sellfish then was not even an issue..

Had played a part in denuding the BOC I would feel a sense of guilt and responsibility today.
I find comfort and solace in conscience stewardship of our seas and seashore. If that is selfish then..... I guess I wear the proverbial haurachi.

NO BULLDOZERS ON THE BEACH,PLEASE!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 08:28 PM
You are right

Sharks, I don't know you well, but hope to someday. I sincerely apologize and regretted posting as soon as I did it. I was combining several past post (my memory may be faulty) of yours about people moving to Baja and sort of ran the "philosophical approach" together, with my perceived, desire of yours to soften your approach. The descriptive word "selfish" was to strong and was aimed more as a general statement about one's emotions rather then bare fact.
If all that your are saying is you are "protective" of Baja's resources then I stand at your side. I would go one step farther and partition the Mexican government to double the the beach easement and any development must provide pedestrian easement every 100 feet and vehicle (boat) public access every 1000 feet. If this is not done you will have SoCal in short order. I nominate you Sharks as our Baja representative to protect the beaches.
Baja's friend and yours I hope.
Al G

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 08:55 PM

Now that I am on a soap box let me say it is time to get the government to tax something (Condos?) to subsidize the gill netters and long liners. It's not to late! Who is working on this? Is this to idealistic? There are some great writers on this board so why don't one of you inscribe our feelings and let us sign it. The Baja network is large and I am sure it would make an impact.
Al G

Albert G

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.