Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  
Author: Subject: Mas en Loreto y Loreto Bay
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 03:46 AM

Cpg: Long Story: Please go to Noaa and Ckeck out Hurrcaine "Lisa" for the accruate Date. I will have to dig in my old files for the exact Date
There had been a 7 year Drought-The Ranchers of the Mountains lead by Gloria Benziger Davis"S Father had hired a company out of Texas to spray Silver Oxicide{SP] in the the Mountains from La Paz North, as many cattle were dying from the lack of Water. The pilot would take off each Day from La Paz wait until the "Boombers" had built to a certain level, then with his special built Cessna 210{ with a Metal Screen would go into the clouds and dump his chemical at about 20,000 Ft. He returned each day to LaPaz were theywould use "Bondo" to smooth the leading edge of the wings,Preparing him for the next day's flight..
It is said by the old timers,that his spraying was successful as Hurricane "Lisa" arrived a few days later.

The storm moved in and hit La Paz on its south edge, and Villa Constitution on its North side.
The Arroyro above the Malacon in La pazhad a small Dam above,which broke,People had built their small shantys along its side. On breaking it wiped clean all of those shanties along with the People in them,!
The Mexican govt. under reported the Number Missing!

I had a friend who was coming back from a fishing Trip down south pulling his small 14 Ft. Valco behind a Mustang. the winds caught him south of Villa, taking the boat completely off and rolling nearly a Mile before it stopped. he ended up in the Hospital, as he was attempting to Hold the boat down, broke his right Shoulder.

Tio Don O'Neil and I tied down his Palapa with ropes and heavy Rocks and decided to set the storm out in a Large MotorHome.Winds reach about 85 MPH.

The next day, the Water came out of the Mountains , running full the Arroyo between Loreto and the Colonia.The only way to get across was by Boat.
the Amount of Water was of such force and Volume that it did the Damage described, created the long Sand Spit to the south of the Hotel Oasis,lined the Beachs of Loreto with Debri 2 to 3 Feet High.
Tio and I inspected the Debri and found many Items in that debri, including the Coral Snakes, donkeys still tied to their Hitching Posts!!

the following day we went out and measured the Debri flow at about 7 miles offshore from Loreto. the fishing was great as the Dorado and Sharks and other fish were coming into the area an attacking all of the things washed down and out into the Bay.

My Friend Alvaro Murrillo Romero had been to La Paz to pick up the body of a family member. They could not get through the Arroyo near Villa, had to Finally hire a large Flat Bed to get them across{Three Days after the Storm}

It is very difficult to beleive the amount of Water volume that came down out of the Mountains!

It was many days before the water finally stopped-That is why Loreto has the large Berms built North as you go into Sargrosa.

Just talk to some of the Ole Timers when you visit Loreto.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:33 AM
Skeet

I'm going to steal and use, somehow, that line about the Donkeys and the hitching posts--visuals are great--gulp!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 05:36 AM

Don't need to talk to old timers about storms and the arroyo flooding. The arroyo flooded during Hurricane Juliette in 2001 and again during Ignacio and Marty in 2003. Marty packed winds of 98 mph a borderline catagory 2 storm. The eye was about 30 miles East of Loreto when it passed by. My daughter and I were caught in in at my shop. The streets flooded all over town and the marina was destroyed. Miramar was spared during all three of these storms. Chile Wille restaurant was gutted out from encroaching waves. The waves came into Macawas restaurant too. We were lucky the storm wasn't closer or stronger.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 03:57 PM

Pam; I know that your Were Not!!!! in Loreto on one october when a "Whip Storm'{that is a Storm formed only in the Sea Of corez} chased all of the Pangas south in a Frensey.Two of the Pangas came sliding up in front Of Rancho Sonrisa, rapidly removing their Clients and running for cover inside our Palapa which had 67 windows. They helped us Hold the windows from the inside, it still took the Hinges and two windows and tore them loose, tore out the Electric Poles down at the Hotel Oasis. After the brief Storm which reached and estimated 95 miles per Hour, all of the people came out , as 11 Pangas were still missing. They had taken shelter at Coronado.
I would suggest that you get a copy of "The Baja guide and read it ~!!

I still suggest that if you want the True stories about the Facts that you talk to Alvaro Murrillo Romero, His Brothers, are Martin the Son of Enrique Murrillo.
I started fishing with Alvaro and his Brother Enrique in their Wooden Boat in 1968,staying at the Hotel Oasis when it had only 6 rooms, $9.00 a night including 3 meals, Bill was bringing water from a pump a quarter of a mile away.
Your World is completely different now, but the old time fisherman from San Nicholas are still the Best fisherman in Loreto!!!!

Skeet/Loreto
Skeeter Peter
Anon The Preacher

"In God I Trust"
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 07:44 PM

Pam: Another story from an "Old timer"!!

Were you in Loreto when the Storm blew down the Fancy Bridge at the Golf Course??

If not this iswhat happened:

Viginia and I departed from in Front of "Rancho Sonrisa' very early headed for "Manderos Reef". We stood off the Point of Coronado, feeling the Water--No wave action at 5:oo Am. It was safe to go!! Proceeded a45 minute trip to the Reef, arriving just at lite to see fish all over the top of the Water-Fantastic fishing! Two other Pangas{Mexicano fisherman arrived!}

Fishing like Crazy when we looked uo and Coronado disappeared!!! We all three knew we were in Trouble so headed directly {90 Degrees to Manaderos} We stayed together and had one of the Worst rides for 20 minutes, rollers to 8 feet off our Port Side, Virginia was scared out of her Mind.
Proceeded south to Loreto arriving off of Doctors Point to find a "flying tigers boat, out of Fuel anchored with the Captian and 3 Pasengers.
In Trouble!
Pulled my trusty little Panga and the Capitan transferred across, turned to go through Pass and encornered at least 11 Ft. Waves. A wild ride into Loreto where I dropped the Captian, later to see him heading back to rescue his Stranded boat. He had left instructions that if the waves got Higher to cut the Line and Beach the boat.!

He was luckey, the wind died and he was able to get to his people.

"The Day the Wind Blew down the Golf Course Bridge" by Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2006 at 08:31 PM

I forgot the lesson that I had learned several years prior from my good Friend Alvaro Murillo;
Alvaro had told me that any time on the Sea Of Cortez that you Hear Thunder and there are no clouds- Head for the closest place of Safety!!
I had "heard the thunder"but the fishing was so good that I ignored the Warning-

Skeet/Loreto
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 03:32 PM

Skeet I hope you don't think I was challenging you when I described some storms that occurred since I've been living here, I was not. There is potential for storms even into the future and the question is can the Villages at LB withstand them? Our home is up on the rise abive Miramar and personally having been through Marty at the malecon I would much rather be in our high spot anyday. We are so luck you to have the internet so available and advanced warning in the form of on the spot satellite images. The pangueros know how the read the clouds and the water, they know when behaviours of animals both land and sea change as predicting severe weather to come. Thanks for the stories I love to hear the old timers tales about everything.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 03:40 PM

Turtle and toad: Boy is it refreshing to read your comments. I heard all this info about how they were going to de de-sal plants and the like but being a water operator, I knew the ins and outs of this operation. If cities normally figure 1 acre foot or 326,000 gallons per family per year, and due to the "water conservation" efforts of LB, we cut that in half, we still come up with an astronomical amount of water needed to fund this project. 150,000 x 600 units is somewhere around 90 million gallons of water. At the rates needed for de-sal, this puts it out of reach from everyone except the very rich.
Perhaps even more interesting is the fact that we keep trying to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. One does not have to read this forum for very long to realize that most of the people here were looking for a place that was a little rustic, laid back in comparison to "back home", populated by a warm and carefree population, priced lower than back in Canada and the US, maybe a little good fishing thrown in, and that wonderful sun and sand for the real clinch. Now, Southern California has a lot of the same characteristics, but I have no interest in going there to camp or live in an RV for months at a time. Fly Fishing Pam, who I consider to be very astute and bright relates that following 9-11, that the local economy took a real nosedive and businesses closed, especially those related to the the tourist industry. Well, it's too bad that the local government people are so focused on what is coming in under the table either in hard cash or perks that they fail to see the longer range effects of what is happening.
In the US, any developer has to jump through innumerable hoops to get a project approved and the infrastructure is developed to provide at least some control on the wanton and willful destruction of land and property. I have not seem that same level of control and concern over the development in Mexico.
I just hope I run out of life before I run out of places.
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:14 PM
Thought I'd bring it back...

Anyone want to stir the LBC topic? Cruised through this Sunday...was trying to figure out(if I bought), were to drop off the bottle water, take out the trash, bring in the block ice for the Pacifico's/Tecate and find my way to the Playa. Anyone want ot see more photos? I'm open to the concept here, just can't see where I park the Baja Burb, or charge/park my electric car.
In Texas (sorry Skeet), they call this, "Big Hat/ No Cattle". Could be a new breed of cattle comin' in...
Juan
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:19 PM
Ok, let me stir it a little more...

Old(left) with the Burb and new(right) Range Rover. There is no one here. I think they should both(cars/development) apply for, "Day of the Dead" cameo appearance.
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:21 PM
Anyone home???

This place was dead...but it sure did look nice!
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:28 PM
What about the playa???

Yep, you can still get to the beach. I think its time to move on...There is a huge coastline in Baja that we all still love!
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 08:30 PM
Oh...one last thing:

They have a new Marina at the Condo's next door that you can buy in to as well.
Juan,
...over and out on this subject.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 01:58 AM

Juan!
Thanks for the Photos! Keep them coming;
May I have permission to use the Photos in comparison to my Photos of years ago??
I am trying to write a Book comparing the Past of Loreto to the the Present

I have many Photos taken from 1968 to present.Just need to have them processed as they were not Digital

.Skeet/Loreto
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 06:09 AM

Quote:
Cruised through this Sunday...was trying to figure out(if I bought), were to drop off the bottle water, take out the trash, bring in the block ice for the Pacifico's/Tecate

Juan, I think the chupacabras do all of these mundane chores;D
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 08:25 AM

Why, oh why, is the landscaping not consistent with what is native in Baja, CA , or at least draught resistant? That is ludicrous.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 10:41 AM

Bouganvilla, palms, and such are very drought tolerant once established.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 01:31 PM

Skeet, go ahead and use any of my photos!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 03:09 PM

Cinco

You tell that to the 5 Coco's I've lost and4 fan palms, coco's take a lot of water, Bougainvillea need water at least a drip system and watered every day. Most of the area near the water have sandy soil and the water goes right through at least this all is from my experience.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 06:10 PM

Comitan:
Virginia and I planted over 2 Hundred Coco Palms at Rancho Sonrisa; We never lost a plant!
They were bought at the Nursery in La Paz at about $4 each.The Key to planting a Coco is Dig the Hole, place Double Handle full of rock Salt in the bottom of the Hole, Set the coco plant on top and cover up and water!
We were producing CocoNuts in 6 years.
I had a Pila built with a drip system hooked to a pressure Tank.The results of our work can still be seen at the former Rancho Sonrisa , North of Loreto

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust".
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.