Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11
Author: Subject: Mas en Loreto y Loreto Bay
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 08:34 AM

Remember the great proposed new condo project going south out of Ensenada..now years later with the laundry hanging on the railings..and the..whew..smells from the ill-planned water and sewage systems? Loreto in ten years, perhaps? We all hope not.:no:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
One of the byproducts of a desal plant is an extremely salty brine. If not properly handled it can have an adverse affect on the local environment.

And if properly handled, could be it's well on the way to being table salt. Hmmm....

--Larry

Exactly, the whole utilities infrastructure should be a totally integrated system.

Such as:
The power plant utilizes the effluent from the sewage plant for cooling; this heated water is then sent to the desalination plant for heat extraction. The power plant also burns waste from the community. After being used in the power plant, this heat energy is also reclaimed at the desalination plant.

From the desalination plant, the water is then sent through a cooling tower to the farms surrounding the utilities complex for irrigation. This water then perks down to the aquifer, replenishing it. Some of it would be rerouted to the power plants retaining ponds/tanks to repeat the cooling/heating cycle.

Another option for the power plant retaining ponds would be to use them to raise fresh-water fish or shrimp. One of the biggest fresh-water shrimp farms in the America?s is currently in Texas, has proven the technology, and is making a very nice profit.

The solid waste from the sewage plant would be sterilized (via UV radiation, no chemicals) and sent to the farms for fertilizer. These farms could be leased or sold to the locals for operation.

The desalination plant would send the brine to the salt farms where it would be placed in evaporation ponds with impermeable liners for salt extraction. Or some of it could be recombined with some of the cooling water and either used in salt-water fish farms (another employment opportunity for the local population) or discharged into the Sea of Cortez (at the proper temperature and salinity).

Another shared energy source would be the community garbage. It would go into pits with impermeable liners, the pits would be capped and the resulting decomposition gases would be pulled off and burned in the power plant. As the decomposition continued, the liquid would be put through the sewage plant and the solids would be UV radiated and sent to the farms.

This cycle is based on an evaporative desalination plant; it would be modified slightly if a reverse osmosis plant is used.

Note that salt-water cooling isn?t used because it isn?t needed.

Once again; this would be my approach, I doubt that LB (or Fonatur) has gotten any farther in planning the utilities than throwing around words like desalination and carp ponds in their news releases.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 11:09 AM

T&T...
Jumbo prawns work for me! As for RO filtration it's the purest H2O around....even filters out the atomic wastewater from carriers and subs as we all know cause it's particulate matter!:biggrin:

[Edited on 2-22-2006 by Cincodemayo]

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 11:30 AM

Again,
What kind of money are we talking about for such an integrated system for a community the size of Loreto Bay ??:?::?::?:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
T&T...
even filters out the atomic wastewater from carriers and subs as we all know cause it's particulate matter!:biggrin:

[Edited on 2-22-2006 by Cincodemayo]

You're kidding right? :lol:

As I hope your nuke friend has already pointed out; Nukes don't have any "atomic" wastewater. They are a closed system. The seawater used for machinery cooling is about as radioactive as a glow in the dark watch dial.

As to the cost of my system? As I said in an earlier post, I'm not familiar with construction costs in Mexico, but as a SWAG, I'd say in the neighborhood of 400-600 million. That's for a system that would handle both Loreto Bay and Loreto. In a system like this, bigger is more cost effective.

Assuming the operating entity only took 10% profit from the annual revenues, this system would pay for itself in about 30 years. That's also a SWAG.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 02:57 PM

OK, I give; what's a sexenio?

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 02:59 PM

Of course I'm kidding. That would be Greenpeace's nightmare:lol::lol:
This could be a water bottling dream come true...$1.25 for a pint bottle of Baja's best H2O. Just like Dasani but name it Bajani.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
This could be a water bottling dream come true...$1.25 for a pint bottle of Baja's best H2O. Just like Dasani but name it Bajani.

Another income stream I overlooked. (pun intended) :lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
OK, I give; what's a sexenio?

The amount of time it takes for a Mexican administration to have nonconsensual relations with all its constituents.

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 03:21 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 03:28 PM

Quote:

As to the cost of my system? As I said in an earlier post, I'm not familiar with construction costs in Mexico, but as a SWAG, I'd say in the neighborhood of 400-600 million. That's for a system that would handle both Loreto Bay and Loreto. In a system like this, bigger is more cost effective.

Assuming the operating entity only took 10% profit from the annual revenues, this system would pay for itself in about 30 years. That's also a SWAG.

A friend of mine on this forum quoted me a system in Cabo that handles a complete resort ( don't know size ) and was build for under $ 2 mill. Is this possible and possibly of interest to this project ?? I have my doubts ,but he insists it's viable. Like to hear some opinions on this.
BTW, the projects I,ve seen on Google from all over the world( Calif. included ) show only projects into mega millions.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 03:33 PM

BTW

Is our " FRIEND OF BAJA " paying attention to this thread??:(:(:(
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
A friend of mine on this forum quoted me a system in Cabo that handles a complete resort ( don't know size ) and was build for under $ 2 mill. Is this possible and possibly of interest to this project ?? I have my doubts ,but he insists it's viable. Like to hear some opinions on this.
BTW, the projects I,ve seen on Google from all over the world( Calif. included ) show only projects into mega millions.

Was this a fully integrated system with power, water, sewage, and waste disposal that is environmentally friendly?

or was it just a power or water system that dumped the byproducts back into the ocean?

For the price, it sounds like a small RO water or diesel power plant.

As to the costs you've found on the net, the ones you've seen are probably a lot larger than mine. Plus they probably include things like property aquisition, permitting fees, and others that I haven't included.

Of course even though 600M is a little shy of 1 Billion, it's still in the mega-million catagory. :lol: And bribes, strikes and cost overruns would probably push it over the 1 billion mark. :O

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

terrybird
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 05:30 PM

Perhaps they could use the "hoard" to run in little cages to produce electricity, or as sponges to sop up waste or for fuel, eee!
Maybe the current administration could sort out these problems when thier term(s) are up, eee!:wow:
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 05:34 PM

Last November, while staying at Bueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Resort where we have a fix date time share for two weeks, one of the "tours" of the facility was their desalt plant. I took pictures, as I was really impressed. (first & only system I've ever seen) I'd guess that they service their facility only, and for their intended expansion program that is currently in effect. Took about an hour to do the tour. I'd put the pic's on, but since I don't know how, that will not go any further. They are in my Kodak software system on this laptop. Since I'm on "dial up" here in Nopolo, it would take months before you'd get them all. Anyway. The cost they mentioned during their earlier construction was $2M and that would have been about three years ago. Ed is having problems accepting that $2M would build one three years ago. It doesn't look that complicated. Pumps, motors, valves, tanks, huge reservoir, etc, and an impressive electronic electrical panel with lots of gauges & screens. Their water line runs underground from the complex to the Pacific side, and out quite a ways. I don't know about discharges back into the ocean. For a layman, it was very impressive.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 05:57 PM

Phil,
To help me get a better feel for construction costs in Mexico, could you answer a couple of questions?

1) Was the plant a Reverse Osmosis or Evaporative type? (evaporative plants have boilers and big steam lines running everywhere).

2) How big is the Resort (number of people, or number of rooms/cabins or maybe the website of the resort).

I'm guessing that, due to labor rates, Mexican construction costs are going to be about 50-66% less than if the same plant was built in the US.

If you can answer the two questions above, and assuming that the 2 million cost is valid, I can interpolate the cost vs size and adjust for inflation. This would give me greater confidence in my own estimates.

Thanks.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 07:53 PM

I'm sure it was the Reverse Osmosis system.
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Resort (pueblobonitosunsetbeach.com)
Boy numbers wise, would be a wild guess. There are I think 30 buildings, plus averaging about six units per building up to ten units per building.
Plus they have just completed their all inclusive hotel (adults only) that is I believe six stories. Maybe 150 rooms. They are building fractional timeshare houses up on the side of their mountain, that will be maybe 60 homes, & all with swimming pools & separate hot tubs. Plus there is an area that they are building individual custom homes. There will be two l8 hole golf courses with home custom homes around the golf course. I just stay there for two weeks every Thanksgiving, and get thawed out. This is one heck of a project, and Wendy & I really love it there for a two week break from the Nopolo experience. Wish I could give you more numbers. Sorry.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 09:19 PM

Anyone got a number for what a kW/h costs in Baja Sur?

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Anyone got a number for what a kW/h costs in Baja Sur?

Billing:

First 150 kWh 0.595
next 250 kWh 0.983
additional kWh 2.073

Actual production costs are about 2.088 pesos per kwh
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 10:13 PM

TNT: I am just finishing up two condos in Loreto. They are two story and each has about 1,000 square feet. Balconys, two bathrooms each side, dual pane Milguard windows and tiled floors throughout. Built them for $25.00 a square foot. Add in the land and it comes to $27.50 sq. foot. But you gotta know who you are dealing with and use really good guys. I was lucky.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.