[*] posted on 2-22-2006 at 10:15 PM

Thanks all,
Now I got some numbers to crunch.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 06:25 AM

Sharky you were VERY lucky!!!

Do you have some pics you could post???

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 06:32 AM

BCS governor sais LB has all his support because it has complied with all of it's promises, contracting local workers, respect for the enviroment and respect for workers rights.:?::?::?:
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas_e.asp?urlnota=...
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 07:01 AM

And to top that off, conversation of last weekends sales promotion brought another 75 sales, or what must be another 75 "idiots" as some of the Nomads would say. I'd prefer to say, another 75 "believers". And yes, I believe in the good tooth fairy, & Santa Claus. You can live your lives as skeptics, or you can live your life as positive thinkers. One of the reasons I'm able to afford spending time down in Loreto area, is because I've had a positive attitude most of my working life. How have your lives been, those of you who reflect back & see your past as having been with negative impacts & outlooks. Bad choices & decisions? It's all done by having the ability to make the right decisions throughout life. Mine hasn't been 100% for sure, but it's been good to me most of the time. And I love Loreto area & the people that live here, and the ones that are moving here. I only have to overcome the health issues that plague me when I'm here, and so far this winter, I've been o.k. Think positive. Be positive!!!!!!!!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 07:07 AM

capn. sharky: Your two units cost you $27 sq ft w/land in 2006. Thirty-some years ago, mid to late 70's, I was building 1100-1200 sq. ft. studio/condos in the US (AZ-MT-ND-MN) for the same price....$26-$28 sq. ft including land costs.

My construction costs today in the Bay are equivalent to 30 year old prices in the US also, but as you said, to reach that price, you need to get personally involved, buy right, and hire capable, efficienct 'craftsmen', not grunts. I am sure the project managers are doing the same in Loreto.;D

[Edited on 2-23-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:48 AM

Having been a construction worker allmost my entire life( union electrician, i have found that contractor's and developers will not take any responsibilty for thier project 's shortcomings,unless forced by law to do so ,and the only thing the law can do is stop them from doing buisness,
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:10 AM

Pompano---You are absolutely right. I started this project a year ago in 2005. I have done very little fishing during the past year and a lot of managing. I was lucky to have a really good Mexican friend to oversee this for me. Also my superintendent was really good and committed to the project. I don't think this would work for Loreto Bay. Too big a project. We pay weekly and always pay the guys. Phil: I am a skeptic---but I have had a very good life. Traveled all over the world. Same wife for 41 years. Raised four great kids. But I have been lied to in my life---hence I am a skeptic. Also, I have visited Mexico for most of my life (Loreto for 35 years) and I have seen the broken dreams. I remember Puerto Escondido when all the workers showed up and put in curbs, lighting, etc. I though this would be the end of the world---or at least, the end of my quiet Loreto. Hah!!! Two weeks and they all took off nothing happened after that. I am disappointed in LB for reasons mentioned above. I don't really see any benefit to the pueblo of Loreto (except maybe taxes). No benefit for most of the Loreto workers. Best case scenario---it stays south of town and the people buying will hire Loretanos to work down there. The promises are kept and water and trash are taken care of by the LB company. I really don't see many coming into town to buy groceries, etc.---but time will tell. Viva La Raza y Skepticos.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 09:49 AM

there is a Large Lot or Area up on top of the Road going To Villa. Many years ago I looked into gettin that lot, building a shor Raod anoud to the Sea Side where you could see all the Way to Catalina. I talked to Rodrigo about gettin a Loader where Icould build a Road in a couple of Days-At that time would have to bring the laoder from La Paz.

Rodrigo said tome" Mosco, I have 5 friends with Families, we could build the Road with Pick and shovel, therefore their families would have something to eat and some money to buy clothes.

It still remains the same, most projects are done by Hand Labor at a slower pace[such as the recent import of Wokers}.
If LB was to decide on a new Power Plant, it would have to bring in outside Help whichwould be very expensive. It would be cheaper o bring Water down the Colo River, load it on large Barges and float to Loreto, then to build a Power Plant would cost more tthan the whole SouthernState could Float.

Went to a Don Williams concert last night with two very upper employees of Gurnesey Corp.{A very Large Power System in the Souther Area. I questioned at lenght{Over several Cervasas] Loretos Problems. their take seem to be that was here in the US we are fac ing anEnergy Crisis that will result in New Expansion all over the world., and those Areas that are dircetly involved with the "20 Year long War" will get all the attention and Money.

So it maybe a double whammy aganist LB trying to get Power or Water into Loreto under those Conditions.
there CEO.s are warning that the strongist effort for Power and theProtection of Water will be directed toward the War efforts.

Skeet/Loreto
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
I'm sure it was the Reverse Osmosis system.
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Resort (pueblobonitosunsetbeach.com)
Boy numbers wise, would be a wild guess. There are I think 30 buildings, plus averaging about six units per building up to ten units per building.
Plus they have just completed their all inclusive hotel (adults only) that is I believe six stories. Maybe 150 rooms. They are building fractional timeshare houses up on the side of their mountain, that will be maybe 60 homes, & all with swimming pools & separate hot tubs. Plus there is an area that they are building individual custom homes. There will be two l8 hole golf courses with home custom homes around the golf course. I just stay there for two weeks every Thanksgiving, and get thawed out. This is one heck of a project, and Wendy & I really love it there for a two week break from the Nopolo experience. Wish I could give you more numbers. Sorry.

Well Phil, the numbers have been crunched and the results are;

Yes, you can build a RO plant to handle a large resort for under 2 million. However, it will only supply about half of the water for a resort the size of Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. For 3 million you don?t have to rely on outside water. None of this considers the golf courses (which may be using reclaimed water) or hillside homes.

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach has 327 guest rooms, 3 restaurants, 4 bars, 4 pools, Spa and 2 Plunge tubs. This calculates to 1308 AF/A (Acre Feet/Annum) or1,167,840 gpd (gallons per day).

By using the numbers provided by forum members and comparing the construction costs of similar projects in both California and Mexico, I?ve come up with a ?rule of thumb?, or ROT, for my SWAG?s (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses). That is; it costs about $2.50 US per gpd to build a reverse osmosis plant in Baja Mexico.

Using my ROT and the above gpd, I come up with $2,919,600.00 US. If you only supply half of the water it is $1,459,800.00 US.

This does not consider that it?s probable that, as the gpd goes up, the cost per gallon may go down. That?s one of the problems with ROT?s

By the way, the electrical power to operate a RO plant using saltwater is about 8,900kWh/AFA (it?s lower if they are using brackish water). So the above $3 million plant would cost about $6,530 US/day to pay the electric bill (unless they made some kind of deal with the power company). That would work out to about $9.30 US/day per guest, based on double occupancy (as they like to say in the tourist trade).

Of course when you combine ROT?s with SWAG?s your results may be GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). :lol:

And that, my friends is called CYA (covering your ass) :lol::lol:

If anyone gets the chance to visit this resort, I'd be interested in how close (or far) my results are to the actual figures.

[Edited on 2-23-2006 by turtleandtoad]

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 07:38 PM

TNT: Wow. Great report, and quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you. Now maybe someone can convert your ROT & SWAG's to actual figures, since you've done most of the hard work.
Ed. Am I more credible now???????
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 07:49 PM

TNT

I'm sorry but I really have to ask this....

Were you wearing clothes when you SWAGED this?:lol::lol:

our website is:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
TNT

I'm sorry but I really have to ask this....

Were you wearing clothes when you SWAGED this?:lol::lol:

I know this isn't the answer you're expecting but, no I was naked as a jaybird.:o:o:lol:

But thats because I'm a nudist (as anyone that has visited my website already knows) and am currently in a nudist resort in Phoenix AZ. :lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:20 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
thats why you are why out in nowhere land...

i'll have to see what google earth has as a picture:lol:

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Ed. Am I more credible now???????

NO, not by a long shot.
And BTW quit pontificating !!. If you have any more inclanation in that direction, I have a soap box I could loan you. Straight from Hyde Park, with oratorial know how build in. You need it.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:59 AM

Toad: Glad to see that you are in a Park. Sure would hate to see you on that Motorcycle in San Francisco!!!

Skeet
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
thats why you are why out in nowhere land...

i'll have to see what google earth has as a picture:lol:

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Bob and Susan]

Just look for the nekked guy with a laptop alongside the pool! :lol::lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Toad: Glad to see that you are in a Park. Sure would hate to see you on that Motorcycle in San Francisco!!!

Skeet

Haven't you ever joined the San Fran nude fun run? :?::lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 12:09 PM
Loreto Bay recent sales event

Word has it, another sales event produces 37 more sales as of two week ends ago. Per Bob Toubman, CEO Loreto Bay Mexico when providing a question & answer session to Nopolo property owners (Loreto Bay owners were also invited) Much discussion about water, sewer & electric. One interesting aspect of that meeting was, the wind generators will be built on the Pacific side very near San Carlos, where there is already an electrical generating plant operating. So the power that the "fans" will generate will be placed into the existing power grid. Estimated to be 20Kwatts. More than they will use. Excess will be provided to surrounding communities as needed. "we will generated more power than we will use". (quote unquote) Water: Geologists have explored the mountains to the west of Nopolo, identifying fizzures, and they will construct diversions, that will slow down the runoff during normal rain conditions, allowing the water to return to the water table. Let me throw in a comment by a rancher on the San Juan Valley, that I visited with recently with an interpretor, that in an 8 sq.kilometers there are 6 wells drilled on his property. Of an 11 wells that were drilled in the area. Four wells able to produce immediately, of which three are presently operating. When established about 15 years ago, the water table dropped 30 meters during the first 5 years. From that date forward, there has been no further drop in the water level. When I asked if he was worried about all this growth, he responded by saying, "he didn't feel there was anything to worry about"
Also at the Loreto Bay meeting was the Director of BMO who stated that there are two wells at Nopolo to the west of the highway. Water is supplied to the reservoir at Nopolo, to suppliment the water pumped to Nopolo, twice a week from the Loreto Reservoir. He also advised that in the city of Loreto there are many lines in need of repair to cut down on the waste of water. (I can add a campaign in effect with posters, stating, "conserve water". You can see much waste of the water being hosed onto dusty streets. As the streets are paved, there will be less water used in hosing them down. As Loreto Bay says,"we will conserve more water than will be used". Time will tell if all these things will actually happen. But to a resident of Nopolo, it appears Loreto Bay is not just sitting around doing nothing.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 01:35 PM

Good Post Phil!

We will know for sure when the next 7 year Drought Occurs!

When you were talking to your Rancher Friend, did he tell you how many Ranchers had sold their Property Rights to the City of Loreto?

Are precautions being made for a Hurricane?
I was sitting in Tio's Front yard when Lisa came close, winds were only 85 MPH.
The Arroyo ran completely full for 3 days, the debri moved out 7 miles into the Sea Of Cortez. That storm is what made the Nice sand Beach just south of the Hotel Oasis.

The Debri washed down from the Mountains contained Donkeys still with their Hitching Posts as well as several Coral Snakes.

It also washed away 80 tons of Gravel that was being used for road construction.

Think what another Storm like that will do out North where they ran two arroyos together just North of Rancho Sonrisa.
Miramar would be wiped clean.

Hope they have planned for Drought and Storms. that was the same storm that took several Hundred people out into the Bay in La Paz where they were consumed by Sharks.

Nature is very destructive at times.

Skeet/Loreto
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

the same storm that took several Hundred people out into the Bay in La Paz where they were consumed by Sharks.

Nature is very destructive at times.

Skeet/Loreto

When did this happen?
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.