BajaNomad

Double Identity: Man Responsible For Evicting Punta Banda Seniors In 2000

BajaNews - 2-8-2006 at 05:39 AM

http://www.10news.com/news/6821099/detail.html

February 7, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- 10News first started tracking Steven Carlos Pedroarena in 2002 just two years after the evictions at Punta Banda near Ensenada.

Pedroarena used the help of the Mexican military to make evictions.

"They seemed quite adamant about just taking the homes," said one retiree.

"This was our retirement home to spend our golden years," said another retiree.

10News Investigative Reporter Thom Jensen to Pedroarena: "Can you tell me what you had to do with Punta Banda?"

Pedroarena: "I'm busy right now."

Mexican law is clear. It states no Americans can own coastal property like Punta Banda. They can only lease it.

So how was an American citizen able to toss other Americans off of the Baja home sites with the help of the Mexican army?

During the course of its investigation, 10News discovered Pedroarena was born at Mercy Hospital in San Diego on July 4, 1951.

10News researchers also uncovered a 1955 newspaper article showing Pedroarena and his sister inherited the family's land in Punta Banda, Mexico, and an 1,800 acre ranch in Tecate, Mexico.

10News learned more about Pedroarena in U.S. bankruptcy court records.

Pedroarena filed bankruptcy and told a court trustee that he didn't own or control the Tecate ranch.

Trustee: "You never had any ownership interest or equity interest in it?"

Pendroarena: "Nothing."

He also said the Punta Bunda property had no value.

Ralph Nieders is listed as a creditor in the bankruptcy case.

"He always identified himself as the proprietor," Nieders said.

Now Pedroarena is charged with bribing Nieders to stay quiet about the Mexican properties and something much more serious.

"This guy has two different identities," Nieders told 10News.

Two identities, because according to a Mexican birth certificate that 10News obtained, Pedroarena was born in Mexico.

An affidavit signed by family members said the 54-year-old Pedroarena was born at home on the Tecate ranch and was named Esteban Carlos Pedroarena Toomey.

Jensen confronted Pedroarena: "We found two birth certificates for you. Do you go by Stevan or Esteban?"

Pedroarena did not respond.

It's the Mexican birth certificate that gives "Pedroarena Toomey" title to the expansive Tecate ranch and Punta Banda property.

Outside the federal courthouse, 10News once again tried to get a comment.

Jensen: "Are you an American citizen or a Mexican citizen? Mr. Pedroarena?"

Again, Pedroarena did not respond.

Financially, the Mexican citizen Pedroarena cleaned up when Americans were tossed off of his property. 10News discovered a check deposited to his account from a San Diego retiree to lease back his Punta Banda home.

Sources told 10News, "Esteban Pedroarena" received approximately $1 million in cash from the evicted retirees who leased their homes back.

10News also uncovered visas and passports for Pedroarena using his Mexican identity.

SLIME !

djh - 2-8-2006 at 02:02 PM

I suggest going to the website and actually watching the 10News video story.... (click on the video link) THIS story represents the worst kind of arrogance, lying, cheating, stealing, and self-interest.

Maybe time for "Guido" to pay Pedroarena a short visit!

bajajudy - 2-8-2006 at 02:11 PM

Scary stuff for sure.
Cant wait for the next installment tonight.

Capt. George - 2-8-2006 at 03:24 PM

Guido? I grew up with him!

surfer jim - 2-9-2006 at 04:24 PM

GUILTY !!......:O

BOLABOUND - 2-9-2006 at 04:34 PM

Hang him by the balls:fire::fire::fire:!

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by BOLABOUND]

bajajudy - 2-9-2006 at 05:08 PM

Yes bolabound
Burnt huevos:biggrin:

This looked interesting too

bajajudy - 2-9-2006 at 05:15 PM

The following is a link that I pulled off the page of Bajanews link.
I did not read any of it because I already live and own property here and at this stage of the game ignorance is bliss.
However, there have been so many questions about buying ejido land, etc here that I thought someone might find something to answer some of those questions.

http://www.stewart.com/international/international.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page for more links

djh - 2-9-2006 at 09:11 PM

Yes, George, I believe you told me about Guido and a few of his buddies on our road trip to SR!

Maybe he owes you a favor or two? I'm sure the folks who got stiffed would love to speak with Guido about "negotiating" to settle up with Pedroarena??

:o

lizard lips - 2-10-2006 at 10:02 AM

What his parents did 54 years ago was against the law, plain and simple. How he has gained from this is another thing altogether. What has always concerened me is the owners of this property did not really come forward with the law suit until all of the properties were occupied with $500,000+ homes. Was Carlos Teran who developed Baja Beach and Tennis Club in colusion with these owners and knew full well what was coming? I think he knew and gained as a result---BIG TIME!

Will we ever get to the truth-NEVER. I was there that day when the military evicted those Americans. It is something I will never forget. Some of those people put everything they had for retirement into those homes and some are now living in trailer parks in Chula Vista. A far cry from the beautiful ocean views they once enjoyed. After working all their lives and investing in a property that was told to them that was secure is criminal and someone is responsible-but who? By the time this all gets sorted out it will be a little to late.

This should be a lesson for anyone who purchases anything in Mexico. Do your research, then do it again and again and if you feel it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Im sure God has a grand plan for those involved in this. He will make them ship captians that ground there vessels on a beach in Ensenada.

[Edited on 27/12/2005 by lizard lips]

'Man With Two Names' Strikes Again

BajaNews - 8-15-2006 at 09:41 PM

http://www.10news.com/news/9685822/detail.html

Steven Pedroarena Took Her Inheritance, Sister Says

August 15, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- A ranch that was once the jewel of Tecate is vacant and on the brink of bankruptcy by the ranch?s owner.

A 10News investigation on Feb. 7, 2006, showed how Steven Pedroarena, his cousin, Don Phillips -- a Border Patrol agent -- and Robert Akins, CEO of Cymer Inc. have dual identities with birth certificates in Mexico and the U.S.

Now, a family member speaks out for the first time about how those dual identities were used against her.

?My brother just took over like a mad man,? said Leslie Pedroarena.

Leslie Pedroarena and her brother inherited the family?s expansive land holdings after their parents died in a plane crash.

The land holdings included coastal property and homes at Punta Banda, and the 1,600-acre Tecate ranch in Rancho San Valentin.

But Leslie Pedroarena said she recently learned her entire family used their Mexican identities to take her inheritance, which was a share of the ranch near Tecate.

It took a unanimous vote of the shareholders, not just Pedroarena, but also Akins, Phillips and their mothers using those Mexican identities to vote her out.

Documents filed at the courthouse in Tecate showed Phillips, Akins and Steven Pedroarena all gathered together in Mexico and signed their Mexican names to strip Leslie Pedroarena of her ownership in the family ranch.

Leslie Pedroarena said her brother threatened her to stay away from her childhood home.

"He came to my door and said, ?I have my ways. If you cross the Mexican border, I'm going to put you away for good,?" said Leslie Pedroarena.

She has decided to speak out to protect her holdings at Punta Banda Baja Coast for her children.

"And I'll tell you, after this whole thing is over, if he gets off, there isn?t a place I can hide,? said Leslie Pedroarena.

Right now, Steven Pedroarena is trying to sell of his sister?s land and homes at Punta Banda under his Mexican name, Esteban Carlos.

Leslie Pedroarena warns anyone thinking of buying the property to not do business with her brother.

Steven Pedroarena faces charges in the U.S. for allegedly bribing a creditor in a bankruptcy case.

He is not charged with any crimes using his alleged dual identities.

Akins and Phillips have not responded to 10News' requests for comments.

Steven Pedroarena Charged With Bribery, Bank Fraud, Tax Evasion

BajaNews - 9-13-2006 at 03:51 PM

http://www.10news.com/news/9807643/detail.html

Not Guilty Plea For Man Accused Of Having Dual Identities

September 8, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- A federal grand jury handed up indictments Thursday against a man profiled by 10News investigators.

He is a man who allegedly used a dual identity to avoid taxes.

One birth certificate said he was born in Mexico, while another makes him a natural-born U.S. citizen, investigators said.

Now, these alleged double identities are at the center of an expanding federal criminal case.

Steven Pedroarena has never agreed to speak to 10News investigators about his alleged double identity and why he is accused of having birth certificates in Mexico and the U.S. with two different names.

Investors told 10News Pedroarena used his dual identities to allegedly rip them off.

"I never even knew of a Steven Pedroarena until he filed banktruptcy. At that point, I basically put two and two together that he had a false identity," said investor Ralph Nieders.

Pedroarena’s own sister said he used his dual identities to allegedly steal her inheritance.

“I tell you, after this whole thing is over, if he gets off, there isn’t any place I can hide,” said Leslie Pedroarena.

Now, federal prosecutors accused the Chula Vista man of using his double identities to avoid paying taxes.

An indictment handed up by a federal grand jury accused Steven Pedroarena of bribery, bank fraud and three counts of tax evasion.

Nieders said, "The whole purpose of using twin identities is to basically not pay taxes in the U.S."

Nieders said this case should serve notice to others leading double lives on both sides of the border.

"It sends out a clear signal that you can't hide behind false identities not to pay taxes,” added Nieders.

Pedroarena’s attorney, James Pokorny, said the charges were driven by others to hound his client into submission.

Pedroarena pleaded not guilty to the charges in federal court Friday.

A federal prosecutor said there may be more people who are using dual identities to evade the authorities.

"What we've heard since we started this investigation is word's gotten out that there are possibly other leads out there that we could lead. It's certainly something that's important to us that we will follow up if we find any credible leads," said Deputy U.S. Attorney Chris Tenorio.

Pedroarena's wife, Maria Del Carmen Pedroarena, is expected in court next week to face charges in the indictment.

baja829 - 9-22-2006 at 09:47 AM

Two points --
1) I remember looking at this land in the late 80s and falling in love with it, but with just a bit of questioning, found out that it had been in litigation since 1978 and was still in litigation -- so that was the end of that for me. Then the Courts ruled in 1998 and all hell broke lose.

2) No one seems to know or remember that 35 or so MEXICAN "owners" lost their home in this deal as well as the Americans. The press and rumors always seem to leave out a few tidbits.:

JZ - 9-22-2006 at 10:02 AM

Yeah, rumors seem to be spread endlessly on this topic. Even by Senior Nomads on this site ("M"'s post this week comes to mind). I think it does Mexico and all us that visit Mexico a huge dis-service and people should get the facts straight before posting.

QuePasaBaja - 9-22-2006 at 10:09 AM

Seems that there is a lot more of that going on than most people know.

Do you own it

wessongroup - 8-19-2009 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
I did not read any of it because I already live and own property here and at this stage of the game ignorance is bliss.
However, there have been so many questions about buying ejido land, etc here that I thought someone might find something to answer some of those questions.

Some of the links are dead, but one did work... it was for Stewart Title.

http://www.stewart.com/international/articles/processflowdoc...

If you want to make sure YOU own the land... do Title through someone like this ...

You pay for what you get, and given some of the stories I have read about real estate problems of ownership, only a Title Policy would protect one. Be they Mexican Nationals or others buying property in Mexico.

I'm not in the business, but would seem very prudent when buying to add it to your overall costs to purchase your place in Mexico.

wessongroup - 8-19-2009 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Some of the links are dead, but one did work... it was for Stewart Title.

http://www.stewart.com/international/articles/processflowdoc...

If you want to make sure YOU own the land... do Title through someone like this ...

You pay for what you get, and given some of the stories I have read about real estate problems of ownership, only a Title Policy would protect one. Be they Mexican Nationals or others buying property in Mexico.

I'm not in the business, but would seem very prudent when buying to add it to your overall costs to purchase your place in Mexico.

Just went to the Stewart Title home page and found an example of what having a Title Insurance Policy can do for one... in Mexico when the "Trust" issue comes up...

http://stewart.com.mx/-ifeatured-topicibfeatured-topicsb

JESSE - 8-19-2009 at 10:18 AM

I wouldn´t trust Stewart or any other "title insurance" with a property. Those companies are just there to create a false sense of security for foreigners. The only way to go is to ask, hear from the locals, talk to the people, they will tell you who and what is a bad investment.

wessongroup - 8-19-2009 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I wouldn´t trust Stewart or any other "title insurance" with a property. Those companies are just there to create a false sense of security for foreigners. The only way to go is to ask, hear from the locals, talk to the people, they will tell you who and what is a bad investment.

I'm not sure what factual information you would base the statement that a Title Insurance Company is only there to give a false sense of security...

Will those local's be able to factually establish chain of title? will their testimony (based on what they believer to be a "good" investment) hold up in a Court?

Basic due diligence on a property would include "independent verification" of the subject site and it's history of use. This history would be based on an investigation into the previous use for the past 50 years.. which would include aerial photograph review, San Born Maps, and any and all permits from any agency which would issue same for: building, fire, hazardous materials, geology, flood zone, water contamination, along with many other issues.... which YOU as the purchaser would be less than prudent not to include in your list of to do, prior to setting down and signing papers to transfer title .....
However, I do respect your right to express your opinion and to some degree understand your point. I agree, to not talk to people that "live there" would be foolish too... the more information gained the better one's ability to make an "informed decision" on the purchase of property in Mexico or anywhere.

Hook - 8-19-2009 at 02:14 PM

Wessongroup, you need to read the FINE PRINT in the Stewart Title contracts to see what is exempt. I have heard that it is substantial.

mtgoat666 - 8-19-2009 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNews

February 7, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- 10News first started tracking Steven Carlos Pedroarena in 2002 just two years after the evictions at Punta Banda near Ensenada.

humans often behave badly (more often than not?).

that's why we like US system that has legal protections for us, and why mexican system is such that you should think long and hard about doing business with people you do not know and trust.

k-rico - 8-19-2009 at 03:35 PM

I used a sharp attorney when I bought in Mexico. When I asked him about Stewart title insurance he laughed and said I would spend all my money fighting the insurance company when they didn't pay the claim.

That was his cut on the subject.

reading

wessongroup - 8-19-2009 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Wessongroup, you need to read the FINE PRINT in the Stewart Title contracts to see what is exempt. I have heard that it is substantial.

I again submit, that would be part of the purchaser's due diligence.

I only offer, that having a large Corporation dealing with an issue which is their means to conduct business and make a living would be better than not having one.

As with most all business's and their contracts (fine print) are expressly written to look out for their interests not yours.

Having a "title" Company on record for the validity of the "title" would still seem to better than not having one.

Acquiring property, land, homes in Mexico

Fred-o - 8-19-2009 at 03:51 PM

Since I first started living here in 1988,
I have been told by many many knowledgeable people here in Mexico that....................:saint:

I should NOT Invest in, "Buy", Lease, Rent or live in or on any land or property that you cannot walk away from.....period.

So here I am, "long term": "One Day at a Time".....

fred rehfeld

Lomas Del Mar

JESSE - 8-19-2009 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what factual information you would base the statement that a Title Insurance Company is only there to give a false sense of security...

Fact is, in Mexico,specially Baja Sur, there is no such thing as factual information regarding land owners. Having said that, any investigation is only limited to existing records in certain places. Wich does not protect you against someone from somewhere coming up with a title that wasn´t even on records. Or a title, from BEFORE any records existed. A title like that would have validity and would inmediately put the new land owner in a position to go to court and wait for a judge to determine who the real owner is.

The winner would be determined by:

A.-Who has more political power.
B.-Who has more balls.
C.-Who has more money.

How do i know what i am talking about? simple. A mayority of cases where lawsuits, invasions, land grabs, violence, evictions, etc has happened. Involve foreigners who buy land based on what a company tells them.

I rather do it the old fashion way, it simply works.

CaboRon - 8-19-2009 at 07:15 PM

Jessie,

What, pray tell, is the old fashioned way ??

wilderone - 8-20-2009 at 08:41 AM

Amen, Jesse.
A title company only investigates title to the extent they're given information - they don't independently pursue history. The Mexico Revolution, ejidos, inter-family agreements, fraudulent documents (see first post), all would cloud a title and you'd be stuck with a huge problem that, as Jesse, states will be won with the person with the most money, influence and stamina to play the game. I would suggest buying a property with a contingency to inspect the title and at that point, find out everything you can about the lineage and do your own due diligence to track down any history to your satisfaction, document everything anybody told you, etc. You never know when something will rear its head and cause a problem.

I've lived in my house for 35 years and I found out while doing an addition a few years ago that my neighbor's sewer line runs across my lot under my house and hooks up to mine. There is no easement on record for this. The title company had no records. The City had no records except to show that that property's sewer line did not extend to the street in front of his own house. Subsequent investigation revealed that my neighbor's house used to be a store, and my house was where the store's proprietor lived - almost 100 years ago. My "garage" was at one time a blacksmith shop, built before the house and store. None of this was on record with the City, none of it documented through titles, easements, ownership records.

no factual information

wessongroup - 8-20-2009 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fact is, in Mexico,specially Baja Sur, there is no such thing as factual information regarding land owners. Having said that, any investigation is only limited to existing records in certain places. Wich does not protect you against someone from somewhere coming up with a title that wasn´t even on records. Or a title, from BEFORE any records existed. A title like that would have validity and would inmediately put the new land owner in a position to go to court and wait for a judge to determine who the real owner is.

The winner would be determined by:

A.-Who has more political power.
B.-Who has more balls.
C.-Who has more money.

How do i know what i am talking about? simple. A mayority of cases where lawsuits, invasions, land grabs, violence, evictions, etc has happened. Involve foreigners who buy land based on what a company tells them.

I rather do it the old fashion way, it simply works.

Yes, and I believe that is exactly what my point was, YOU do the due diligence ...

I understand the "records" do not tell the whole story, but to exclude a compelete examination of all that are available would be fool hardy.

I agree the "old way" is the best, and I truly appreciate the input from all on the issue as it will affect me, as I intend to buy property in the Baja in the near future.

I'm not looking to get investment property, but to find a place that feels good and hopefully has none of the "problems" which I'm reading about on the board.

Just a small place with some good folks around, and time to do a little fishing and enjoying the place.

JESSE - 8-20-2009 at 12:21 PM

In my experience, if your going to buy property (outside of a city or large town) in Baja. LET EVERYBODY in the area know that you inted to buy, and all the little secrets (if any) about a property, will come out. Most people in Baja know everything about properties in their area, who owns them, problems, rumors, etc. Its better to find out before you buy, than getting a citatorio from a court after you spent your cash.

irenemm - 8-20-2009 at 03:09 PM

Even so so people just don't pay attention to what is said to them. They like the property and the guy selling it so they do what they want. We have told many people over the years to be careful of some people, but they chose to do what they wanted any way. Years later they had some trouble. It took while to get things fixed but they did.
You can go to the office that issue the deeds to the property and see who owners are. Just like in the states. Try the county seat. It is called the County Registar. They have all the deeds on file. Who names on the property and any liens. People do you homework. You do at home in the States so why not here. Get yourself at least 2 lawyers to check it out. I always tell people to get them from different cities and don't tell them you have others looking into it. When they come back the same your go to go. If not you saved a few bucks by checking it out first.
DO YOU HOMEWORK