BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: When Does a Town Become "Too Touristy"?
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 04:46 PM
Morgaine7

Welcome--That has been going on for over 25 years and will never stop as long at the Mexican who can speak English earns more money--even in Baja.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 05:33 PM

I dread the first sign with the Golden Arches near Mulege.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
When people refer to it by initials, ie: TJ, GN, etc. Half the initialized towns posted here, I don't recognize, nor do I want to.

Case in point, "BOLA".

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 09:50 PM
Initials for town names is a long standing tradition...

...in the Western regions of United States. Originating back in the Western Gold Rush era, many towns would paint or white-wash their town's initials on a nearby hill, open to the view of travelers and passers-by.

Many of these town 'initials' in rural areas have been maintained as a matter of 'civic pride' and can still be seen in Small cities across the west. We used to have some rural property in Northern Nevada near Battle Mountain - where you can still see the large, white-washed 'BM' on a nearby hill. As you travel along I-80 through Nevada, you'll see a big 'L' for Lovelock, a 'W' for Winnimucca, and others - we've all seen them.

Here on Internet Boards, initials for common names and phrases have, rightly or wrongly, become the 'norm', as our language constantly undergoes change...a good source of these 'acronyms' is at:

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

I like to use a town's complete name when first posting comments, but also find it 'proper' to use only the initials later in the message, or when posting a reply to an earlier message about the same subject.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 09:55 PM

BOLA: bad (BOW-LAH?)

BdLA: good!

Bahia de L.A.: better!!

Bahia de los Angeles: best!!!

;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 12:12 AM

The correct answer is....CAPN.SHARKY got it..."a few dead dogs left in the road."....:lol:....that was good.....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 04:40 AM
Dead critters on the road are okay..

Yup, capt. sharkey grasped a good concept and thought pattern that is paramount in Baja. Why not leave those dead and battered corpses just lay where they may and feed the vultures and ravens? They are natures garbagemen...the ultimate cleanup crew.

Ideal scenario.....I can see this horse laying on the freeway heading into Beverly Hills or La Jolla. A sanitation squad in full contamination suits would quandron off the area and all produce within a 5 mile radius would be destroyed. Brrr..what has progress cost us? Thus, I chose to live in Baja and Up North Dakota (shhh)...although much of Baja is becoming alarmingly like La Jolla.

If your area is becoming a little 'too touristy', just drag one of these roadkills to a location near your home and ..viola...instant Old Baja!

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 07:42 AM

My top 10 reasons when a Baja town is too 'touristy":
1. When my wife says she would visit that town. 2. When the thought first crosses my mind: "I wonder what a lot whould cost here?". 3. When the kids don't stare at me in amazement and wonder. 4. When the full-time-retirees do stare at me in amazement and wonder. 5. When the menus are printed in english. 6. When there are menus. 7. When my buddy and I want a lobster dinner but have forgotten the word for lobster so we both stand up and prance around the table with our hands over our heads with our fingers pinching like claws and the young, nubile waitress says in perfect english, "Would that be clams, crabs or lobsters?" 8. When the word "Market" OR "Mart" is bigger than the word "Tienda". 9. If the town advertizes in the LA Times and the ads seem to indicate that if you visit, you'll likely get laid. 10. And if we're honest with ourselves, probably if we're there.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 07:42 AM

PanhandleFishing is pretty good in all the lakes that have Water!!

Being able to see for miles out over the palo duro Canyon with no House to look at is just fine, Deer in the Yeard, Eagle and Falcon Around is O. K.

Battle Mountain Nev. --1969- Investigated an Accident there. Twin Cessna hit the mountain during a Storm. Very near to the Big "BM"

Only problem with leaving the dogs lyng is if they had been Posined with Strycnine. then it stays avaiable to other animals such as Cats. Bad Stuff.

The only real thing I miss about Loreto is the people!

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 07:44 AM
other 'too touristy' signs....

Now I LOVE PIZZA!!...but perhaps it has become 'too touristy' when you can have an enterprising hombre deliver to your beach digs 20 miles away via satellite phone. It's a different Baja in 2006 as compared to 'back in the good ol days'. Care to join us...we will have some pepperoni, some Canadian bacon and pineapple chased down with cold Pacificos for dinner. Later we will open a chilled bottle of chardonnay, set out some patios de paloma and turn on some Ravels' Bolero.

Now I say with possible, yet inevitable, foot-in-mouth that I am called a Mulegeian by my friends and fellow citizens of this village I have called home for 35 years, but I am still actually a 'tourist'...pay no attention to our FM-1,2,3 and 'emmigrado' stuff...we are all 'tourists' on this earth-bus.

[Edited on 2-13-2006 by Pompano]

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
My top 10 reasons when a Baja town is too 'touristy":
1. When my wife says she would visit that town. 2. When the thought first crosses my mind: "I wonder what a lot whould cost here?". 3. When the kids don't stare at me in amazement and wonder. 4. When the full-time-retirees do stare at me in amazement and wonder. 5. When the menus are printed in english. 6. When there are menus. 7. When my buddy and I want a lobster dinner but have forgotten the word for lobster so we both stand up and prance around the table with our hands over our heads with our fingers pinching like claws and the young, nubile waitress says in perfect english, "Would that be clams, crabs or lobsters?" 8. When the word "Market" OR "Mart" is bigger than the word "Tienda". 9. If the town advertizes in the LA Times and the ads seem to indicate that if you visit, you'll likely get laid. 10. And if we're honest with ourselves, probably if we're there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 09:35 AM

, some Nut builds a 3 million dollar Monstrosity next to your Palapa on the Beach, then wants to start an Association, close off the Beach so that the Locals can no longer drive directly to the Cathouse"
So Skeeter, you saying you now can drive directly to the Cathouse in the Texas panhandle? You need not worry about anyone closing off the beach or building something next to your palapa on the beach----there are no beaches in the panhandle. Speaking of monstrosities, you should see some of the stuff the gringos (excuse me), the white folks (that doesn't sound right either somehow), the non-indeginous people (there, I think I got it right), have built on the beach in Loreto.....clear up way past the old Penthouse. By the way, Beto said to tell you hello. Going back on the 26th. Feb. 25th is the wifes birthday and I thought it best to stay until after that. Hate to come home, but the doctors keep on checking this valve they put in my heart. Happy trails Russ

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 09:38 AM
Don Alley

Your number one is soooooooo funny. Are they all like that. Mine is that way.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 10:08 AM

Sharkey; Keep that Valve Popping!
Have they done anything at Doctors Point ?
Salute Beto Por Favor.

Not to many Cathouses in the Texas panhandle-Too many churches!
Lots of pretty girls wearing nothing but Chaps dancing away at the "Midnight Cowboy"!!

Have they started the "Comfort Inn"' up on the Highway Yet.. Salvat swore he would build it some Day.

Skeet/Loreto
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 10:14 AM
With apologies to Groucho Marx...

...I don't want to belong to any town that will accept me as a
member.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 11:32 AM

It's too damn touristy when:
the well has water and the power is on for more than 2 hrs a day,
you don't have to negotiate with the fish co-op for ice,
the town mechanic no longer makes "house calls",
you go the the tienda rather than diving for your meals,
the "chief of police" no longer invites you to the c-ck fights,
the pangueros no longer care if you brought extra sparkplugs or rubber hose,
with horror, you realise that the latest trip report on the bajanomad site you're reading is your tiny spot of paradise!!!!!!!

:moon::lol::o
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 11:34 AM

c-ck fights?????
c-ckfights???

Are the NFL censors on this site?
Now I know how Mick Jagger feels?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 12:40 PM

I loved it when they once threw a dead c-ck up over the fence and it landed on my wifes shoes. I don't think she misses not seeing another c-ckfight, which of course opens a Pandora's box for me going alone.

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 02:02 PM

It's too touristy when:

1. You have to clearly explain the difference between your town and Cancun so that others will know.

2. the foreigners who moved there start compaining about all the other foreign languages they are starting to hear.

3. they want you to pay in dollars instead of pesos and all of the prices are in dollars.

4. the price of a Margaritta is $8.00 US.

5. most of the businesses in town are owned by Gringos who pay their help Mexican wages while charging US prices.

6. the airstrip is suddenly too small and needs to be expanded to acomodate international airlines. This is the beginning of the end for the nice place.

7. the town started around tourism. It never was a Mexican town in the first place.

8. the local cop asks you if you want a girl.

9. the local ecomomy is based on sales of time-shares

10. tour companies bring people in to see an "authentic Mexican town".
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

sad.gif posted on 2-13-2006 at 03:29 PM
Pompano

Although I agree with Skeet about the poison problem, I think you are dead right about leaving the road kill for critters that need the food source. Here in Siskiyou County CA, the fresh deer are, or used to be, taken to feed to prisoners in the County Jail. Likely cruel and unusual to feed them venison these days. Hereabouts we get a lot of help from low-life truckers to make the roadsides less inviting to tourists. Every few hundred yards there is a jug of pee they tossed out the window. It IS considered hazardous waste and costs a LOT of money to remove.

Hmmmm. If we jailed the truckers for contaminating the shoulders, we could make them clean it up, and feed them venison.

[Edited on 2-13-2006 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.