Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus Motel?
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:51 AM
Baja Cactus Motel?

Is anyone familiar with the older "commercial" rooms at the Baja Cactus motel? We're traveling in April and hoped to try the Baja Cactus for the first nights stop, after reading all the great reviews of it here. But, they do not have any of the new rooms available, only the commercial rooms. All the references I've found here on the board all specify the new rooms. I'm traveling with my wife and daughter, we don't need luxury but would like a comfortable nights sleep.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Jeff
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:54 AM

sorry, always stayed in the new rooms...I would imagine they're clean, but I don't know what the water pressure/hot water situation is...I've yet to be disappointed staying there.

george

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 08:49 AM

Here are photos of the motel: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12287

In the first you can see the original rooms facing the parking area... They are clean, have TV, and will do for the night... Having seen the Sinahi and Mama Espinoza's (Las Caba?as) motel rooms... The old rooms at Baja Cactus will be the best.

I will try and post that first photo here...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 10:13 AM

The Sinahi is great for camping though. And their restaurant is GREAT! But for motel rooms, you can't beat Baja Cactus' place.
Bob H
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 12:02 PM
Before and After...

Three of us tumbled into Baja Cactus late one night last December and got the last 2 rooms in the place, located in the front (right behind the trucks in David's photo, above). I was glad that I had heard through Nomads about the process the family is going through to develop the hotel, so I wasn't as disappointed as I might have been. The room was pretty spartan (that's OK) and looked neglected. Curtains were hung haphazardly, the mirror and medicine chest in the bathroom had been romoved with the vacant spot left glaring, and the shower floor was black in the cracks around the edge. Not clear if the water would get warm. Fortunately, I was too tired to shower and fell promptly into bed thinking about this being a good illustration of a "before and after" situation and wishing the family well in their efforts. To their credit, the desk manager warned us in advance that the rooms were not their best, and the cost was minimal. Bottom line: I was grateful to have a safe place to sleep at such late notice, the room was acceptable for what it was, and I'm looking forward to being in the back rooms at another time. Zoe

\"You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent them from nesting in your hair.\"
Swedish proverb
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 09:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think we'll give it a shot. For one night all we don't need a whole lot.

I think the only other option for us is to stop in San Quintin, and I'd much prefer to start out the next days drive from El Rosario with an already full tank of gas, instead of messing around in the morning.

Jeff
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
The Sinahi is great for camping though. And their restaurant is GREAT!
Bob H

?What? I stay at Sinahi often, but would never it as a place to eat.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
The Sinahi is great for camping though. And their restaurant is GREAT!
Bob H

?What? I stay at Sinahi often, but would never it as a place to eat.

The Sinahi was a dump of a motel when we looked it over a couple months ago, but now Primo owns it and the RV park behind... So, expect changes!

Who is 'Primo'? The owner of the LA BOCANA BEACH RESTAURANT, which is the place IN FRONT OF the Sinahi Motel... As Bob stated it is excellent for breakfast or dinner...

Those are Bob H's thumbs in front of his shrimp dinner there...

[Edited on 3-3-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.