BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Rosarito Beach- YIKES!!!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 11:20 AM
Honor ??

Since it would appear that your equation for being honorable is one in which I would apologize for my lack of Syrup-Sweet sensitivity, I'll have to opt out of your League of Honor. I'll assign that disappointment the value that it deserves.

In defense of my other statement, I'll have to say that my personal experience over the years with the "touchy-feely" crowd has been that the level of lip-service that they give to Worldwide Human misfortune FAR exceeds their actual level of involvement. IF they sincerely felt at the level they espouse, they would not be laying on a beach in Baja. They would be somewhere in the bowels of the third-world giving selflessly of themselves and their resources.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 11:42 AM

Gee! Where are all the pictures???????????????????????:O
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Gee! Where are all the pictures???????????????????????:O

yes you would think that if some was brave or dumb enough to stand around and count 100 armed teariest that they would snap a photo or two:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 12:24 PM
"Wilderone" has struck a note with me----

-------after 50+ years of travelling and investing in Baja and Mexico, I too am growing weary of these types of reports and what they represent (at least to me)----------who needs this!!!!

Like Wilderone, I just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in New Mexico and found lots of places that delighted me just like Baja used to do, and without crazies running around causing me and my family consternation. (at least I did not see or hear of any). Also spent a week in the Eastern Sierra---------this country cannot be beat!!!

I have about 70% made up my mind to give up travel in Mexico and stick to the beautiful places in the USA that to date I have barely scratched the surface of. Mexico has slowly gone nuts, it seems to me, and is losing out.

I repeat, "who needs the mental discomfort and concern of travelling in a country that appears to be losing the battle to establish at least partial civilization, and the rule of law".

I pulled all my investments out of Mexico 2 years ago, and very well may not visit there again. I have litterally given up on them after years of championing them.

Perhaps it is time to "build the wall" so to speak, it seems to me. I am just disgusted in their apparent lack of progress, especially with all they have going for them in natural and cultural resources------they just cannot get their "act" together, and their citizens are suffering, and fleeing north.

Almost all of my old time Mexico travelling buddies are echoing what I am saying. It does not bode well----------.

Just some thoughts.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 02:04 PM
LonglegsinLaPaz

I guess a lot of you folks don't realize that this stuff has been going on for well over five years. It was unusual if we didn't have at least two bodies dropped around La Mision and La Salina every couple of weeks--As to some foto's the average folks in Baja Norte 'know' not to stick around and get 'dead.'

So a hundred guys is unusual, but it is a graphic show of force.

Cinco---I would be willing to bet that the authorties were aware of who ordered the killing within a couple of hours after they were discovered--they won't be talking for the same reason as listed above.

Not funny and not sad...just reality in 'most of Mexico' and one day it will wander into Mulege. Just look across the Sea to the State of Sinoala. People have always thought that the major tourist spots were off limits but look at Acapalco.

Sooner or later some mistakes will be made and a gringo tourist or two will be wasted and then everyone will scream--for a couple of weeks.

It is just is not a nice world out there.

I know just what Bruce meant because as an old timer he is aware of this sh-t but normally we don't talk about it--after all we are all invested, with our hearts, in this paradise. So don't fault Bruce for trying to remain sane and functioning.

Some of you just might want to become more aware of what goes on behind the scenes in your playground--no offense meant.

PS Look at the street gangs in L.A. four a weekend is nothing to them and they use AK-47's with relish. Same thing in most 'major' American Cities--heck they just wasted 5 in New Orleans and the National Guard and State Troopers have been called in.

[Edited on 6-22-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 02:16 PM
Bob H

Never saw a check point on the free road to TJ.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 03:13 PM
Bernie--------

---------I gave up on LA in the '50's, and San Diego in the late 60's. They are hopeless, in my opinion, and I want nothing to do with them except an occasional visit. I feel this way about most major cities in the USA. They are "down and outer" magnets, as well as magnets for predators, self-percieved "victims" and opportunists, and are just too dicey for me.

I have avoided all "cities" of any size for a long time. Now, my present home of Redding, CA is approaching 100,000 with some of the inherrant problems of a larger city, and I am thinking of seeking smaller towns further east, which do exist and are still reasonably safe and pleasent to live in, I think. We will see.

Baja has been showing signs of deteriorating for the last 10 years, or so, in my opinion. As much as I did not want to accept that, it is becoming pretty obvious what with better communications, and all, between those in the "know". To ignor the obvious is fool-hearty, but we are all a little guilty, I suppose, including me. I certainly did not want to admit this deterioration for purely selfish reasons, and for emphathy with the beautiful Mexican people and all my friends that have loved Mexico for years------but I can no longer ignor it. It makes me a little sick to my stomach, with a real sense of loss. I suppose that I may be a little paranoid about it, but the evidence says otherwise, at least to me.

Now, I will travel and see the USA-----maybe before it starts down the same track as Mexico. "Corruption" is the overriding villian, I believe, and so far we have avoided major corruption in the USA-----but there are signs that it is increasing. Corruption will bring any society down, eventually, and in Mexico's case it may be already beyond redemption------and the people do nothing to defeat it-----in fact they condone it--------disgusting.

How is that for "sour grapes"?? and this coming from the eternal optimist. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but fear that I am not.

Viva Mexico!!! Viva the USA!!!
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 03:16 PM

Bernie...Guess it took this long for the Mexican thugs to start getting the Al Capone and Mafia mentality. Illicit drugs and money seem to bring out the best in people. You are absolutely correct about the LA gangs and the daily news of drive by shootings as the public surely gets hardened off quickly hearing it so often. I remember the days walking around East LA safely and getting a Tommy's burger at Beverly and Rampart without worrying about watching your back.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 03:22 PM
Goober

I'm just trying to communicate on your level, though it's hard to sink that low.

The flag has absolutely nothing to do with Adolph and company. That was covered extensively in the previous exchanges. Are you slow or just plain dumb ?

[Edited on 6-22-2006 by MrBillM]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
No disrespect intended here.........but, I have to ask? 100 armed, masked men? in Rosarita? Is this for real? Dave, please tell us what you know.

And just how do all of these people get through the checkpoints? Huh?
Bob H

Maybe they bought them off with a whole CASE of soda???????:lol:

But I would say the most likely explanation is that members of the military or the Federal Police might be some of the perps.

Not that it's effective at all, Bernie, but I believe there is a regularly operating checkpoint on the free road just south of Rosarito Beach. Huge backups at times when I fly by on the cuota.

[Edited on 6-22-2006 by Hook]
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 03:55 PM

So I take it the Ensenada Insurgency is in control now??:yes:
Major turning point in Baja Norte....Who's next ...judges and politicians?
Thinking about it probably not as they are most likely on the take.:o

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I just got back from hiking, camping and hot springs in the Gila National Forest. Free camping on the river - only one other camper; beautiful natural hot springs right on the river for $3.00/day (for $4 you could camp there); and plenty of unmarked wilderness roads for exploration and adventure.

Wilderone, funny you should mention this. My wife and I are planning to visit this area sometime in September. Please email me at bajarover@yahoo.com as I have a couple of questions about this park and surrounding parks and Indian Reservations (Apache Trail) next door in Arizona.
Gracias, Bob H
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
---------. "Corruption" is the overriding villian, I believe, and so far we have avoided major corruption in the USA-----but there are signs that it is increasing. Corruption will bring any society down, eventually, and in Mexico's case it may be already beyond redemption------and the people do nothing to defeat it-----in fact they condone it--------disgusting.

I think that's just wishfull thinking Barry. The corruption in the USA is hidden and more subtle than in Mex. but I think just as widespread.

And here we're talking about the cities in Mex, with the big problems not the small towns. Similar as to what's NOB.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Finding humor in this post is pretty pathetic.
Even my sardonic sense of humor saw nothing funny about this.
It is sad, sad, sad.
Sad for the families.
Sad for Rosarito.
Sad for Baja.
Sad for all of us who love visiting this place.
End of comment!

I really find it hard to have much sympathy for these 4 peple they are as much involved in the drug cartel as the 100 armed men that scared them so bad that there heads fell off and rolled into TJ.

they chose to be involved with those kind of peple and they new what happens in there line of work. the next time you here of a persons life being ruined buy drugs you can go ahead and sympathize with the cartels of Mexico.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 06:13 PM

I don't like to get into this kind of thead, but I have to agree with Bruce.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 07:18 PM
Viva Baja

I believe that if you go back and read my post you will find that I only suggested that people become aware of what is 'really' going on around them as they play.

I have been going to Baja for about 50 years and I plan on continuing to visit the places that I love. I wil, however, remain ever aware of reality.

As the Bajarunner knows my new book departs just a bit from my tongue in cheek approach to my stories and I finally write just a little bit about the "under belly of Baja and it is not really pretty----I still spend about 200 pages with a smile on my face. The title........"THINK you know BAJA"..................

I could never give up on my many Mexican friends nor my love for this place. I hope most of you will not either.

Just be more aware as you wander through Paradise.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 07:25 PM
Bernie---------

I agree with all you say here, but I will not be joining you south of the border-------at least not at this time.

I was just posting my present thinking---------I certainly do not advocate following my example-------it was just to promote some thought.

Awareness of what is going on around you is always the best policy, and will save you most of the time.

Barry
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 07:44 PM

There is now a major cartel turf war in Rosarito. I expect it will get worse. The police, once aligned with one side, are now being employed by one or the other.

The Rosarito businessman is peeed and scared. The outlying colonias are scared stiff. But ALL would like to see the current administration hanged.

The police are edgy and suffering from whiplash. Home or hunkered down at the stations.

Gringos: Those who aren't packing are emulating the ostrich.

And the realtors are peeed cause the Tribune printed the story.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 08:02 PM
Hook

You are right about the check point on the free road south but I was talking about north toward TJ where various city, state and federal law offices are located.

Thanks Dave. I knew you would have fresher information than me.

Dave is this the same mayor who irritated everyone including council people when he issued all of those taxi permits and bought himself, with city money, a brand new bright red SUV.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 08:06 PM

thanks Dave

I think these wars are usually a good thing in the long run.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.