flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 05:25 PM

Hi there,

Here's my take on your questions~

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
Pam, I can see how business's would be affected by the influx of tourist.

But what about the negative effects. Have you seen any of the predicted problems? Like water or power shortages, crime increases, etc.

How about unemployment, has LB improved or worsened it?

Loreto is still one of my favorite places so it's nice to get a first-hand report occasionally.

Crime- was on the rise before Loreto Bay entered the scene as there is a bad meth problem here that started to be felt about 7 years ago.

Water/power shortages~ I'm noticing more with the demand but there is also construction going on elsewhere throughtout the town so can't blame it all on the LB project.

Unemployment~ the local folks are saying that anyone who doesn't have work doesn't want work. From my perspective its harder to find good employees because LB seems to snatch up the good ones! There are some folks who prefer to work for a smaller business thank goodness.

From a tourist perspective things in general will get better as availibility of products increases and level of service increases.

I know all this bummes a lot of people off who remember the way Loreto used to be but there is growth everywhere and here too. Also the LB plans are better than the plan fonatour had for Loreto.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
The decision now is how big do we want to get? I'm sure that there are more businesses in this town asking themselves the same question.

You don't get to decide. :biggrin:

Actually since I control the business, yes I do get to decide.

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 05:30 PM
GREED RULES!

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:
The decision now is how big do we want to get? I'm sure that there are more businesses in this town asking themselves the same question.

You don't get to decide. :biggrin:

Actually since I control the business, yes I do get to decide.

Oh. OK, I misunderstood. My bad. I thought you meant deciding how big Loreto and vicinity will get. Sorry 'bout that.

You do get to decide.:lol:

Baja BIG Fish

[Edited on 7-18-2006 by Don Alley]
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 05:41 PM

banconduo greed does not rule , everyone want,s to excel and the standard of measurement is money ,and what it can get you
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
banconduo greed does not rule , everyone want,s to excel and the standard of measurement is money ,and what it can get you
You made my point!:lol::lol::lol:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 06:21 PM

Pam is right on the money but as usual everyone else has their piece of the pie and to hell with everyone else.....Things NEVER stay the same.
All the negative people will always be negative.
Pam is so right about what Foanatur wanted to do with Loreto...just the same as Cabo San Mission pendejo Lucas, Cancun, and the other petals on their flower. Time to get out or get over it as it's happening wether you like it or not. b-tch all you want, rant and rave but ALL Baja is changing.
Just gander what has gone on the last 25 years:coolup:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:31 PM

I think there are a lot of very jealous people on this board.
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:40 PM
Loreto Bay

I visited Loreto Bay twice in the last two months and saw the construction. You have to be crazy to think it it sound. Rebar is used on the end supports only. Rebar stacked with core light bricks.. Everything in the middle is stack adobe bricks with no concrete in between nor steel. Just stacked up adobe bricks held together with the outside and interior stuco.

They sure look nice and fancy now. But what the heck will happen with any earth shift. You think the stacked adobe is going to stay place? NOT!!!! There is nothing to support the interior walls. This is a really major disaster building.

I really feel for the poor people that got suckered into this. They are going to lose all there MX investment. Holy crap, they have not even figured out the water and sewage at this time. This is really bad... Although I like the fact that Loreto will return to a small fishing town......
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2006 at 09:55 PM
Loreto Bay

Forgot to say that Pam and Sharky are right about the increase in all illegal activiity. I have a home in Loreto and have never been approached by drug sellers. Until two weeks ago. They approached me and wanted to sell drugs to my brother and me. I also have friends that have visited Loreto for 15 years. They rented a casa and had someone utilize a long pole to steal all there stuff through a barred window. Passports, fancy reels, and money.

These are not the local people as we know all of them and they know us.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-17-2006 at 11:30 PM
Are you serious

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
I think there are a lot of very jealous people on this board.

You really think so??? Just what is there to be jealous of JZ? Good grief, so many new projects and developments emulate one another these days. Right now this type of architecture is more and more common. Especially in arid SW environments.
If you mean just being able to get any real estate foothold in Baja, well then, I would concur. Otherwise just look around Scottsdale, the San Diego suburbs or Escondido.:lol: Of course there's a tad more going on in these places besides pseudo-Mexicana facades. Just my opinion. Have a good one, Corky.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 07:48 AM

Wakemall, I was wondering if you saw all the aspects of construction? Mexican construction uses Adobe or non structural block. These are filler type material and are commonly cemented together. The structural part is columns (Trabe) and beams (Castillo) with rebar in each. Often the cement is added after the block is already largely in place. I think those are the right Spanish terms. There is a building code and Mexicans do follow it unless corruption enters the picture. A building inspector does check progress and checks for code violations. The methods used by mexicans are quite ingenious and often seem strange to us, I wouldn't sell them short without actually understanding how things are done. I do wonder how well the non structural walls will stand up after a shaker though.
Ricardo
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 7-18-2006 at 09:45 AM
Ricardo, you haven't been taking your meds

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo
There is a building code and Mexicans do follow it unless corruption enters the picture. A building inspector does check progress and checks for code violations.

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 10:07 AM

Ricardo - in structural engineering and construction vernacular the more generally accepted terms are:

Column - columna
Beam - viga
Slab - losa

++Ken++
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 01:30 PM

Wakemall.....WAKE UP MAN. Don't feel sorry for all the people with money dude as they can afford to lose it. Pretty simple man, just don't buy it if you don't like it. All those people didn't get rich by doing dumb things...it's called research, questions and more questions. If the "BIG" one comes that's what insurance is for!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 01:40 PM

From a renouned seismologist....just think in another 12 million years Loreto will be in San Diego and think what the property values will be then!!

Parts of California and Baja California ride along on the Pacific plate as it slides past the North America plate. Over the last 20 million years, the Pacific plate has slid 200 miles towards the north. Some would say that in 12 million years Los Angeles would be next to San Francisco.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 01:57 PM

I was just down at Pams and she didnt have any chips....or salsa. But she was really busy and thats a good thing.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 02:05 PM

Ken

The beam that ties the columns together, and goes over the doors and windows is called the Cadena. (chain)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 02:30 PM

Gracias comitan. Sounds like what we would call a "lintel".

++Ken++
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2006 at 06:56 PM

Actually I just just am finishing a house in Lapaz, The terms Trabe and Castillo are taken directly off the Mexican Plans. These were done by a professional. I just don't know where my Spanish Dictionary is.
The house has a Beam (like a Lintel or header) that ties all the columns together it goes all the way around the house and also joins all the interior walls together, this is at the height of the top of windows and doors. The columns exist at every exterior corner and room corner plus every window and door edge (plus every 2.5 meters on a straight wall). The building inspector in Lapaz checked the construction as it progressed. I'll try to post a picture but not sure I can.
Ricardo
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.