Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ex military
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 07:38 AM

US Navy 1962-1969. AE with RVAH-13. Two cruises aboard USS Kitty Hawk 65-67. Six planes to a squadron and we went thru six during each cruise. At the time the RA5C was the heaviest plane to leave the flight deck at 69,000 lbs (31,000 of fuel) for a PECM package. Needed 34 knots of wind and once in a while the ship couldn't make it.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 08:05 AM

US Army- 1969 through 1972. Was Senior Air Traffic Controller@ Fort Rucker's Radar Contol Facility. All rotary wing pilots trained there before being deployed to the land of milk and honey.
Was able to get even for low Army pay by contracting with DOD for 25 years.
First trip to Mexico in 1975. Retired to the beach @ BHM in 2002.

[Edited on 7-31-2006 by BajaRob]
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 08:38 AM

USN 8 years, IC1(SS); Spent most my time on conventional subs (Diesel Boats Rock!) and nuke subs, both fast attack and boomers. Sailed the 7 seas, crossed the equator and the date line too many times to count. Made one trip to the North pole. Sat off Nam on plane patrol for a few cruises. Patrolled the entrance to Gitmo, Cuba on a boat without any guns during the Cuban Crisis. Got shot while on fence patrol with a marine. Got shot again by an irate Arab in the Yemen desert while attending a "goat grab" put on by the local Sheik. And I'm the guy that went into subs to stay away from the face-to-face combat!!!

Spent 15 years in the CG, retired as CWO-4 (Eng). Most of my time was on Fisheries patrols in the Bering Sea, the Grand Banks, and other northern waters; and on Polar Ice Breakers. Made 3 trips to the South Pole and two trips to near the North Pole, used to stop at Attu and hunt for Japanese and US weapons and shell casings left over from WWII. A couple of sailors got injured when some of the rounds turned out to be live. That put a stop to our scavenging trips.

My introduction to Baja was when I was a baby and the trips continued to this day I . My parents used to take me to the original "Half-Way House", where the family had an Airstream parked, for vacations.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 7-31-2006 at 09:03 AM

I find a very strange how people have forgot Korea
I lost a good friend there in 53 and joined the the navy the following year.
54-55.................LST 1123
55-56.................USS Luzon
56 57.................APL30......Boat pool Subic BAY
My favorite duty,running M boats......BM-3
57-58.................ATF.....USS Chickasaw
First trip to Baja 1963,Guadalupe island,and its good to see so many white hats aboard.
BAITCAST
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 09:56 AM

Twenty Eight years total military service. USMC, USMCR and Army National Guard. Never had the privilege to serve in Nam, but did go to Desert Storm. Promised myself that when I retired I would winter in Baja, no more freezing my ass off.:biggrin:
Forgot to add that I didn't want to leave the military, but Slick Willie kicked me out with his defense cuts.

[Edited on 7-31-2006 by Bajajorge]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 12:27 PM

This topic would make a great poll, listing all the military groups and see how they rank amongst Nomads that served.
Bob H (USN 1968-1972)
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 01:28 PM

Mi dos centavos. 8 years USN Reserves - LN1, attached to a combined Pacific intelligence unit (combined with Marines and Army). Unlike you all with heavy duty, I stayed in hotels for many tours, and the Navy treated me very well. I saw "action" at HQ Korea during tri-annual exercises (3 trips), Panama, Japan, Hawaii (all intel-related). Had a wonderful time and I miss my Navy adventures - especially staying up all night dancing to rock and roll at the East/West Club in Itaewon. Baja bug first bit around 1972 with a trip to KM52 fishing trip, and thereafter, after a week at Conception Bay, you couldn't keep me away.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 02:27 PM

Isn't military intelligents a oxy marooon
AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 7-31-2006 at 03:43 PM
USN

Navy brat born Norfolk Naval Hospital
Dad 4 yrs USN
Raised by grandfather 20 years retired USN
Son born Balboa Naval Hospital 1975
72-76 NAS North Isaland, San Diego VS-29
Aviation Electrician Second Class Petty Officer
1976 Westpac USS Enterprise CVN-65
Pearl Harbor, PI (subic/olongopo), Hong Kong, Hobart Tasmania

BAJA
other then tJ/Ensenada from high school and usn
1988 Gonzaga on and off until 1994 then every year for about 2-3 months a year
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-31-2006 at 08:13 PM
jimgrms

In my case it was certainly marooonic! The USMC had us battalion level recon scouts outfitted with the ANTPS 21 Field Portable Radar, if I remember the numbers correctly. It had no screen, you listened to changes in the noise on headphones. You were *supposed* to be able to tell the difference between a tank and a marching column. The problem was, while we grunts were practicing listening for a potential enemy, the big ass generator that ran the stupid thing was alerting them, and making it impossible to hear anything on the headphones. Military intelligence.:lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
RetiredUSAF

thumbup.gif posted on 7-31-2006 at 08:47 PM
Military

Hey ya'll
Retired from USAF after 20 years 1971 -1991 (not my choice). Never been in combat or even close. Been stationed in Spain, Turkey, and the U.S. I was a supply troop in the computer room. Haven't made it to Baja yet, but I am to in 2-3 years. Old bones don't like the cold weather anymore. I read the site daily and really enjoy it, have learned alot.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 04:29 AM

"The Forgotten War"!
US Navy-1950 to 1954
Sworn in at Amarillo Texas after being a Hobo for 3 years.
Boot Camp at Farraget{SP} San Diego ,across from the Marine Base{They marched all the Time!}.
Tattoo from Painless Nell.
Sent to Memphis Tenn. to Aviation Mech School {Met my first Wife at the USO}
Off to Treasure Island on to Japan to duty on the USS Adventinus ARVE 3. A converted LSD with an Engine Test Cell on the Foredeck.
Japan to off Puson, Inchon with the Boxer, Lexington.
Returned the ARVE3 to Long Beach California with Piper Laurie meeting us at the Dock!!
Assigned to FAE TU PAK NorthIsland as Plane Capt. on the PBY 6A, PB1W, F4U5, R4D{DC3}
Last 6 months Assigned to the California Highway Patrol as a ShorePatrolman.
God Bless the U>S Navy! G I Bill paid me $120 Month to Attend and Graduate from Fresno State College.
The Texas Vet Bill known as the Hazlewood Act is paying for my Schooling Starting in Sept. at West Texas A&M University.

And the local Rag"The Amarillo News-Globe" did not even include the Korean War in the Memorial Day Issue!!

58, 928 Have been Forgotten!!!!!
Skeet/Loreto
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:18 AM

I served 4 years, 1969-1973 in the Navy. Flew as radar/sensor operator aboard P-3 Orions for 3-1/2 years, including 2 WestPac tours, one to Philipines and Thailand, the other to Guam and Adak Alaska. We flew shipping surviellance in Vietnam out of the Philipines, Thailand, and Guam. We were not armed and luckily we never got shot at, but we were lucky enough to have survived some pretty wild Navy Pilots that just about killed us on several occasions not to mention the near misses with private aircraft on takeoff from Moffet Field, our home base in Mountain View, Calif.

My Dad elisted in the Army when he was 17 and served in WW-1 in France. I have 2 half-brothers, one served in the Marines in WW-2 and fought in the Pacific, the other served in the Merchant Marines during WW-2, Korea, and Vietnam. He had a ship torpedoed out from under him and had to be rescued from the sea during WW-2. My younger brother was serving in Vietnam as a salvage diver on the ocean-going tug "Tawasa" at the same time I was there. We all enlisted during times of war and did active duty. I wish we could say the same for many of our current politicians.

I first became interested in Baja back in the '70's when I lived in Jackson, Wyo. and was working as a Seasonal Park Ranger and Ski Patrolman. In the Spring, many people would clear out and take vacations to Mexico. I then moved to Salt Lake City and started my career in the bookprinting business. In the late '80's we printed H.J. Williams book "The Magnificient Pennisula", followed by "The Baja Adventure Book" and "The Peoples Guide to Mexico". After working on these books, I just had to go, so at Christmas of 1989 we borrowed a friends sea kayak and headed south in our VW Vanagon. Unforturately, we ended up only in Guaymas and never made it to Baja due to our lack of time and the ferry schedule. We did get a good taste of Mexico and fell in love with it and the people.

In 1992 we made our first trip to Baja, driving through Tijuana and down to Bajia Conception where we spent 5 days camped at Playa Santaspac right where the big rock house is built out on the point now. This time we had our own sea kayaks. Due to limited vacation and money, we only made it back down every other year until 1998 when I bought a 4-wd and camper.
After that, it has been every winter. When my company closed in Dec, 2001, I decided to spend more time in Baja, so, with my wonderful wifes permission (she is a teacher and is still working), I have been spending 2-3 months,
since, except this past winter when she asked me to stay home. We flew to Mazatlan for a week instead. This winter I should be back in Baja toward the end of January through mid April. My wife will fly in to San Jose where she will spend a week with me out camping and then we'll spend a week at the Pueblo Bonito in Cabo.

[Edited on 8-2-2006 by bajarich]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-2-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
"The Forgotten War"!

And the local Rag"The Amarillo News-Globe" did not even include the Korean War in the Memorial Day Issue!!

58, 928 Have been Forgotten!!!!!
Skeet/Loreto

this is a real tragedy, I hope some one really gives The Amarillo News-Globe" a good talk about that . and I hope no one buys there papers any more.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.