Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Post from Bloodydecks
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
If you travel in the States, you also run a risk anytime you are stopped along the roads. Here in Utah we have had at least two murders of motorists and several rapes in the last few years, and I suspect the numbers are worse for California. There are a lot of sleezballs out there and many are traveling on the freeways. That's the reason I would never camp overnight at a freeway rest stop or even in sight of the freeway.

It's not just in Mexico, we also have our share of drug gangs and individuals who would take advantage of a stranded motorist. Just recently there was a sniper shooting people on the freeway in the midwest, he killed one person and wounded another. The truth is, you're vulnerable just about anywhere.

The difference between the occasional incident in the States and Baja is that you can usually count on the authorities to be part of the solution in the US, whereas it is common for the police to be part of the problem in Baja. This is just a general statement and may not apply to this incident.

In addition, in the States, we have such a great network of roads that it's easy to route around known danger zones. Nobody HAS to drive through downtown Compton or Inglewood to get to their destinations. But in Baja, especially if towing or driving something large, we are pretty much forced to run the gauntlet between TJ and Maneadero.

Mexico is changing fast.....can you imagine what will happen to the level of crime if the US makes good on plans to stem the flow of illegals? All those unemployed people and a reduction in that money being sent home to Mexico will have to find an outlet in some kind of illegal activity. At least a portion of it will.

Like Don Jorge, I also feel like my days in Mexico are numbered...........
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 11:51 AM

Highway muggers! Bad idea! Dangerous venture, low profits. A high profile/dumb way of attempting to make an illegal living. Sorta what you'd call a dead end job.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 12:59 PM

Suggestion:
Keeo your Eyes and Ears Open and be aware of your Surrondings:
Do not go through LA if Possible! Going South take Pasadena Exit 210 over to Hwy 60 then down Hwy 15 and cut off and go through Tecate then to Ensenada.
My wife and I did that fo many years and I did that 2 Months ago.Caused by the LA Freeway Shooters that have been around for years!Judge your Traffic Lights through Manadero where by you do not have to Stop.
Once you are below the chance of a "Happening" is less.

Move out of Baja Norte and come live with the Good People where there is still many , many places to get Isolated{BAJA SUR}.
Travel in the Daylight, except early in the Morning.
Get a Dog to Travel with you if you are alone, Don't get out of the Car if you have that "Gut Feeling" that says to you"It just don't feel Right/
Carry a "Fish Killer Club" in your Door Panel.

I just finished my "Required Course for Concealed Handgun Permit" here in the Great State Of Texas where I am an Elected Official. Advised to by the Local Sheriff and the Acts of some of my Neighbors at the Aldermans Meetings.

There are more Crazys everywhere, not just California and Baja.
Be Aware of your Surrondings!! Leave the Beer til you get to your Destination.

Anon The Preacher
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 01:46 PM

All this paranoia! Let's all just stay in our houses and watch the evening news where all this crap is exagerated. chit does happen I admit, but to dwell on it until fear rules your life is loco. All this fear (expressed above)breeds more fear and paranoia. Laugh in its face, do what you want. Good things happen to those who do the right thing
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 02:07 PM
Life is good

:lol::lol::lol:

You guys(and gals) are TOO FUNNY!

Tanks for the entertainment!!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 02:08 PM
Martyman-----

One man's paranoia is another man's reality.

If you choose to ignor what appears to some of us to be an increasing problem in Mexico, then so be it.

After dozens of trips into primitive Baja, I prefer to fall back on my 50+ years of experience in Mexico and take what I think is a safer course, both for me, and my family and friends, and better our odds of having a good time in the USA and CANADA. When traveling I prefer to feel relaxed------not always looking over my shoulder, and fearing for my families safety. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, and our perception of what is actually going on around us.

Bueno Suerte, Amigo.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 02:15 PM

I am sure that when the bandidos start pulling well to do mexicans over to rob them then something will be done about it proably barry is right thier is lots to see in the USA ,
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 02:31 PM

One thing is for sure. In L.A. you won't hear all the heinous crimes that happen on a regular basis. Not enough time on the news!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 03:05 PM

By all means, people should avoid going to BCN and if they're already there, they should go south. Less traffic for me, and fewer ATVers making life on the beach miserable. Sorry Dave, if the resulting reduction in tourism and population hurts your business, but people need to live in fear. It's their nature.

That snark aside, I have a true story to recount that relates to this discussion. We live in Santa Monica, CA, and went down to La Bocana for the 4th of July holiday in 2005. A good time was had by all, and we got a late start out, and didn't get home until just before midnight. We walked into the house and found that it had been burglarized and totally ransacked. Doors broken off of dressers, windows broken, etc. I suppose it's fortunate, but we don't collect much in the way of valuable items. The major losses were my wife's computer and her wedding ring (my fault -- I was supposed to take it in to get it fixed, and kept putting it off; now I've got to buy a new one). I couldn't help thinking that if we'd just not been away, it wouldn't have happened. But I'm not trading Baja for anything, so I got over it.

As far as crime in Baja goes, I do what I do anywhere I travel -- I'm observant about my surroundings, I stay out of areas where trouble is likely, and I conduct myself in a measured way so as not to attract attention to myself. If something happens, I'll deal with it, but I'm not going to live life looking over my shoulder.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 04:53 PM
Dano----Ref. your last sentence----

-----Me either. That is why I moved out of S. CA about 20 years ago, and now I probably will not visit Baja CA anymore.

But, we still have a wonderful time as there are so many places up here to see and have fun "without looking over my shoulder".

But, I do get your point------just am probably more mobile than you.

Barry
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 06:12 PM

As Ole FDR said so may years ago"We Have nothing to Fear, except Fear Itself"!
Fear is a sign of imaturity!

We who watch the commercials on TV and the Daily Rags can easily see that "Fear" is being Sold in Todays World. For example the Commercial on the "North Star System" on GMAC Vehicles, The Ad on Home Burgulary Alarm Systems.
Some of the Political Characters spout it everytime they get a Microphone.
The only time I have been "Afraid" is when I thought that the Lady I was Dancin with would not let me take her Home after the Dance!!
Com on Nomads, loosin up and enjoy your life, Live each Day as if it was your Last!!

Anon the Preacher
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:11 PM

Skeet, Some will listen and most will not. Life is today, with common sense, and without regrets.
I believe in tomorrow, and if the gutter spills over, I will deal with it then.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:24 PM
Fear

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" might be a hard sell to the surviving family members of the many innocent people senselessly killed each day.

Hoping for the best, but being prepared for the worst is a wise axiom whether you are in the U.S., Mexico or anywhere else.

Thousands of examples of that could be recited. One I remember was the case of the Three German Tourists enjoying the beauty of the mountain trails near Idyllwild. They were accosted by a couple of thugs and dutifully handed over their belongings. At which time, they were all three shot dead.

There are a lot of bad guys out there.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" might be a hard sell to the surviving family members of the many innocent people senselessly killed each day.

Hoping for the best, but being prepared for the worst is a wise axiom whether you are in the U.S., Mexico or anywhere else.

Thousands of examples of that could be recited. One I remember was the case of the Three German Tourists enjoying the beauty of the mountain trails near Idyllwild. They were accosted by a couple of thugs and dutifully handed over their belongings. At which time, they were all three shot dead.

There are a lot of bad guys out there.

Dito

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 07:27 PM
Skeet-----

Fear it may be----I don't really know for sure-----but I don't really think so, at least not in the way I think you mean it. If it were just me alone, then sure, I would have no real qualms about returning, and just being sensible and watching what is going on around me (as so many have said), but when you have your family and friends that are relying on you for their safety, then that is a different matter, it seems to me.

To me it is just a matter of "odds"-------and I don't like taking chances with with other people within my sphere of responsibility. To me the odds in Baja Norte have just tipped too far in the wrong direction, and I don't need that.

I have had my fling in Baja------for 54 years-----it is time for me (emphathize "me") to move on.

Perhaps I am over reacting, I really don't know------but this decision was a long time coming---------but heh, nothing is permanent, you know, and I may change my mind. :lol:
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-17-2006 at 08:21 PM

Oh this wont stop me either, it was just to a reminder to keep your guard up. BTW Not all Bald headed "Vatos" are bad guys. Dont shoot me if I come by to see if your in need of help :lol:

[Edited on 8-18-2006 by Frank]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 03:26 AM

Nomads.
Barry as I too spent many years and Good times on my beloved Sea of Cortez and mostly Baja Sur I was very Lucky never having toFear,even when I left my young Children for a Month at a time with the Mexicano Families of Loreto and San Nicholas.
Times have Changed, I too have been surprised at the 'meaness" going on in many places in the States.
I would suggest a Trip up the West coast of Vancouver Island, Bamfield, Tatish, Ucluet, Port Alice or try Montana around Toston, Three Forks, Ennis, or Dillon{you can see 3 Mountain Ranges}.Or last but not least try the West Texas around Spur, Jayton, Roaring Springs, Matador, Sweetwater, Roby and Rotan{Still very quiet and peacefull}.

The Baja Peace that you and I have known will never return because the People of the States and Baja have changed with the times-Good ,Bad or Inderferent-
To leave behind Baja has been a very difficult time in my Life-We have to move on without Fear what ever we do in the remainder of our Lives.
I have found that Peace in the "Prayer of Jabez' Chron 4;10

Skeet/Loreto
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 04:09 AM

Skeeter old Pal......

As onerry as you come off to some, I have to say, I really love you and your old school ethics, you have a heart as big as your Great State of Texas and the additude to back it up!

Aside to "Annon the Preacher: If you get bounced from the forum again, you know my email (I kind of miss our old Doctrine exchanges) ;)

BTW: You are suggesting a visit up North for others......My home is open to you and Virginia.....come on up! If I'm south, I'll leave the keys under the mat! Debra

[Edited on 8-18-2006 by Debra]

Mean people suck!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 06:28 AM

Read the book "State of Fear" by Crichton.

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 8-18-2006 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
I don't think Bad Dog was ascared or did his original post strike me as fearful. He was concerned for the safety of his wife, as a husband should always be.

Capt Mike was right. The world is very small these days. I can choose to take my toys and dollars just about anywhere these days and be there in hours.

Some of us have lived, fished, hiked and screwed around in Baja for many years and we find ourselves with a bit of health left in us along with disposable income. Of course we are going to look for other places to continue hunting, fishing and exploring, both here in our own country and abroad.

I have been robbed and lost stuff in more than one country in this hemisphere, but I have been shot at in only one, here in the USA. Fear, no. Wanting to find that next secluded spot with warm waves, seafood and happy smiling people, yes.

I know where some of the best snook fishing is in the world, it breaks on the rivermouth just right and the shrimp are plentiful and only cost the time to throw the net and haul it in.

It isn't here or in Baja. There they don't fish the mouth of the numerous estuaries with gillnets and they release the billfish and noone hardly even fishes the inside reef and rocky stuff where the snappers and jacks rip line. The water is always warm and life is good.

It is not fear that is driving some of us away but the same driving force that steered us to Baja 30+ years ago when we were teenagers. It is a desire to go outside of the boxes, boxes which are quickly being exported to Baja, which will keep some of us moving on.
Tell us where this place is. It must be in need of development:lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.