Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Raquel and Larry
Catalina
Junior Nomad

Mood: L.A. Bay bound

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 12:48 PM

We are so sickened by the loss of Raquel. My prayer's are with you Larry and your family. We are honored to have known such a kind and loving lady. I remember having breakfast at Raquel and Larry's and how they welcomed us as if we were part of their family. Raquel forever in our memories. We will miss your smile and kindness.
My husband and I have been planning a trip to BOLA for a year. We will be leaving for BaJa Sept.7th for a month. If I had my way we would not be going until this is resolved but my husband say's we will continue on with our plan's.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 02:23 PM

My sympathy is with the family. The thugs that did this won't know what hit 'em.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:00 PM

Sad and angry.

Sad for the senseless loss of life. My heart and thoughts go out to the family and friends.

Angry, because I never thought the dangers of driving Highway 1 in Baja would include senseless violence.

I so hoped it was a bad rumor.

Diane

Nicole
Junior Nomad

Mood: Dreaming of sun!

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:07 PM
Tragic...

That is sooo awful - I am overcome with sorrow and I never even met this beautiful couple who sound to have moved so many with their kind and gentle spirits...

I have been trying to convince my boyfriend to take a roadtrip with our one-year old daughter this winter but this utterly tragic loss and the shear violence of recent events have taken away my will to journey.

Please extend my heartfelt condolences to the family and to all of you who knew and loved her...
Fang
Junior Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 8-23-2006 at 03:17 PM

What a shame! Good people like Raquel & Larry deserved much more.

We stayed with them for many years. The last time down my youngest son & 7 yr. old grandson came with me. Raquel hovered over the 7 yr. old like his very own grandmother. He never stopped talking about how kind she was to him & how she cooked such good food.

My son & I would set up till the wee hours playing Boggle with her. We never won a game. Her command & knowledge of English was unbelievable.

They both worked extreemly hard & their thoughts & stories were about the daughters who were at, or going to UCLA.

They labored hard yet always had time for all the local charities. Many a local in BOLA owe their chance for a education to Raquel & Larry

Raquel will be missed by the many, many people she touched throughout her life.

Our condolances to Larry & the girls in this time of grief
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:18 PM

I hope no one minds;
I copies this story from Fred's board. I doubt that the daughter's email addy is still correct. I AM NOT suggesting that a mass of email be directed to her. I just thought this was a nice story.

In September '99, Ray Orkwis reported on a very positve experience staying at "Larry and Raquel's" in LA Bay:

You can hardly beat the location: north of town, adjacent to Daggett's, near the turtle project, and right on the beach.

We had a large, sparsely furnished but comfortable room - or it would have been comfortable, except that it was very hot in LA Bay the nights we stayed and Larry only ran his generator from 7 - 11 PM. It only cost us $55/night for the four of us.

What made the visit so pleasant was the friendliness of our hosts: Larry is chatty and makes killer margaritas, and Raquel is very maternal. Her meals - which consisted of whatever Larry or his friends caught that day, along with a bucket of fresh clams - were very inventive and tasty (cheap, too, about $4-5 a person).

We were traveling with our daughter who is a vegan, and that means not only no meat or fish, but no dairy products or eggs either. Raquel hadn't been prepared for that radical a diet, but she whipped up very tasty meals with whatever seemed good to her. For my wife and I, who love fish, it was heaven, and for Selena, it was a great change from just beans and rice on tortillas, her typical meal on the peninsula.

Being on the beach, Larry and Raquel's gave us access to the sea. They lent us snorkels and rented us sea kayaks, and we spent as long as we could just lounging (which, given the intense heat and sun, wasn't too long). Ah, it was beautiful there. I should say that they also have a house for rent, which I think is about $100/night, and some young people from California were staying there. They were intending to dive off Guardian Angel but mostly I just saw them snorkeling.

Quite a few hotels and restaurants in LA Bay, especially for such a small place, but we spent all of our time around Larry and Raquel's. My wife even took her jog from there, north to the landing strip and up another dirt road. Larry really knows the area, having lived there for about seven years. He directed us to some out-of-the-way cave paintings near Mision San Borge.

Oh, I almost forgot Reno. He's Larry's son and a fixture at the place. Very friendly and always asking to be mentioned, which is what I'm doing for him here. Reno helped in lots of ways, including waiting table for us, chatting and joking, and spotting whales in the main channel.

All of us want to go back to that beautiful location, and we'd definitely want to stay at Larry and Raquel's. If people want to get in touch with them, they can only do it by email through their daughter, Pam, at BahiaTours@yahoo.com.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 04:38 PM

This is soooo sad. We met Raquel a few years ago and she connected us to the internet and was just one sweet lady eager to accomodate us. I hope these thugs get caught soon! Raquel, may you rest in peace.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
jeanie

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:02 PM

Just heard from Larry's daughter. He is OK. Right now, the motel is open - Kiki ( Federico) is running it until Larry gets back. Should know more tomorrow.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 08:50 PM

A post on Fred's board quoted the Ensenada news as saying there were over 30 bullet holes in the car. Don't sound like a robbery attempt to me. Mistaken identity?

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
A post on Fred's board quoted the Ensenada news as saying there were over 30 bullet holes in the car. Don't sound like a robbery attempt to me. Mistaken identity?

I raised the same question on the incident involving Tom, the guy who was shot thru the leg. If his possessions were the target, why did they persist on shooting at him while he drove at high rates of speed? They risked destroying the goods they were ostensibly after.

Serious druggies or ????
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 12:15 PM

doesn't sound like robbery in either incident.
raquel and larrys beautiful life ruined for what then?
Nicole
Junior Nomad

Mood: Dreaming of sun!

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 12:39 PM
I wonder...

The whole situation does seem odd but then I currently reside in "the middle of nowhere" - we are very lucky that guns are not used in crime here...yet. But really what would the perpetrators be trying to accomplish when you read the details of what went on in the two recent toll road attacks? I noticed that some have mentioned the capture or apprehension of some particular criminal (can't remember the name used) - was he some kind of organized crime boss???

The methods used against fellow Nomads over the past week or so certainly seem aimed at harming the people and their possessions rather than robbing them... I have never driven down but if money were what they were after wouldn't they target people entering not exiting (I am always broke when I return home). I surely do hope that the criminals in question are brought to justice for what they have done to two unsuspecting families thus far - and I hope it is before anyone else is put in harm's way.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 12:55 PM
Yes, Nicole---------big king pin in the Northern Baja drug trade captured----

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 01:19 PM

Nicole,

Here's a link for a story about the DRUG KING bust.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18851

Amo (Michael)
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 01:21 PM
Motives ?

On one hand, it does seem odd that "Robbers" attack in the manner that these incidents have shown. Those who think these are people simply out to do harm may be on to something.

Although I've never been shot at while travelling in Baja, I have had numerous occasions in which Truckers especially, have purposely attempted to run me off the road for no reason at all. Given the fact that in most places this has occurred I would have likely crashed and died if they were successful, it indicates serious animosity rather than sick playfullness. I'm extremely wary now when passing Mexican Trucks or when they start coming up from the rear. The proliferation of drugs and guns among the bad ones down South may have contributed to the escalation of violence.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 01:26 PM
Good God, MrBill------------I have NEVER had that happen.

I have always found the truckers to be very safe and helpful. Your report is very alarming to me---------something very strange is going on in Baja, I am thinking.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 01:42 PM
Recently

The last time it occurred was a couple of months back when I was crossing Laguna Salada on Hwy 5. I came up to a truck with a 40' open trailer and he gave me the left turn light to indicate it was clear to pass. As I passed, he started steadily coming my way. Running out of room, I punched it and got by. Looking in my rearview mirror, the driver is laughing his butt off. Great Fun. I don't know whether it's a game they're playing where they try to crowd you as far as possible or whether they're hoping you'll go off the side, but it's certainly intentional and not just inattention and it's not at all fun for me.
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 02:24 PM

The Cartels and their evil spawn are running the show in Baja now.

And to think a lot of your worried about land development.
kingpin
Banned

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 02:32 PM

Mr. Bill M, you are coming off like a nut.

However, your accounts may not be that far off.

Perhaps the drug people are out to kill us?

Why kill an elderly lady and not stop to collect her valuables?

This is Sick.:barf:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 04:43 PM
MrBillM is not a nut, believe me-----

-----he is relating things that he is intimately familiar with as they HAPPENED TO HIM.

One possible (but seeminly far fetched) reason that they are killing folks is that the drug gang may be getting back at gringos for scooping up their leader at sea, which happened just a short while ago.

Who knows why they do what they do-------their scum, that's why.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.