Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Raquel and Larry
Bajadtodebone
Junior Nomad

Mood: baja dreamin'

sad.gif posted on 8-26-2006 at 09:12 AM
Racquel and larry

:( My God, my heart is burdened by the weight of a thousand tears. On our first trip to BOLA stayed as guests at Racquel and Larry's place. We enjoyed their company and friendliness. WHY would anyone want to hurt these people? It is as sensless as some of the stupid, morronic crap that goes on in the states. I always looked to the baja as a reasonably sane place to get away from the lunacy that permeates our gringo society to the north (even moving to Tennessee hasen't helped that much). Now my biggest fears are realized. We checked in on the board today because we were planning a Christmas/New Years trip to the Camp. I think not anymore....sob... I am so sorry for Larry's loss and I trust Racquel is with the angles.:(:(:no:
Rogelio39

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 09:55 AM
Raquel Fife

Please do not spread the idea that this was a random shooting until all the facts that the police have in hand are revealed to the public. There is much evidence to believe that this was NOT a random act, the police have a suspect and are actively searching for him now. If you have spent much time in Bahia, you might guess, and would probably be correct.

We do not want to cause undue alarm to those who have planned trips to the Baja, and once the police are ready to release more information, it will be clear this was NOT a random act of violence.

In the meantime, Larry's daughter Sara wants all who have reservations at the hotel to know that it is open for business, and will be run by Federico and Concha for a while.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 01:28 PM
Asking the Impossible

It is a long time-honored traditition whenever an event such as this occurs to speculate on "every" morsel of rumor from someone who was told by someone who heard from someone who read somewhere that someone had said something to someone else who had heard from a neighbor who lived next door to someone who knew a shopkeeper who sold to someone who once visited someone who heard it from someone else who talked to someone else that had heard it from a relative sometime in the past

Just the facts, Ma'am, just the facts (or a facsimile thereof).

Sure ! Don't hold your breath.
PRW

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 05:56 PM
Honoring Raquel

I have been deeply disturbed all day, ever since I first read news of Raquel's murder in this morning's San Diego Union-Tribune. I appreciate the outpouring of feelings and information on this message board, because when something like this happens, there is a need to talk about it.

My family and I stayed in one of Raquel and Larry's beach houses last Thanksgiving, and it was one of the most wonderful vacations we ever had - not only because of the stunning beauty and peacefulness of Bahia de Los Angeles but because of the uniquely caring hospitality of our hosts. Raquel was a truly extraordinary woman, a remarkable blend of warmth, intelligence, creativity, and adventurousness. And what a cook! She did wonders with our fishing catch, created one of the great Thanksgiving dinners of my life, and made the best chile rellenos I've ever tasted. She was truly a Great Spirit - as is Larry - and I agree with the poster who said she is now with the angels - from Bay of the Angels to wherever the real angels reside.

For the poster who commented on her nationality - I believe Raquel had dual citizenship, born in Mexico and naturalized as an American. That was part of her magic, the ability to straddle both cultures with amazing grace. She will be missed, and I feel that we have not only lost a special person but a special innocence and beauty in Bahia and Baja. I hope with all my heart that it can be racaptured. And with all of you, my heart goes out to Larry and their family.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 09:58 PM
That works for me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Larry ID'ed the shooter? Dead man walking. Good riddance.

Mean people suck!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 10:15 PM
or better yet.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
When they find the gutter scum they should tow it behind a panga for shark bait....that's after making small cuts that bleed slowly.

And for what?! MONEY!!!! At first I was so sad I just couldn't even think, now I'M JUST SO DAMN ANGRY I'm thinking and it's all BAD!....

and for what?, just what? Take away a Wife, a Mom, a Grandma, friend to everyone she met, and for what?....for what?

Mean people suck!
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 11:45 PM

I'm so very sorry......
Al_Vino

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra

And for what?! MONEY!!!! At first I was so sad I just couldn't even think, now I'M JUST SO DAMN ANGRY I'm thinking and it's all BAD!....

and for what?, just what? Take away a Wife, a Mom, a Grandma, friend to everyone she met, and for what?....for what?

As an cleric I have often been put on the spot by people who expect me to actually answer that difficult, rhetorical question. While it's clear that there is no reason for such a depraved act of violence, Raquel's death isn't without meaning.

When good, kind and helpful people die at the hands of evil, worthless pigs, the beauty of the victim stands in sharp contrast to the wickedness of the perpetrator. There is an obvious lesson here about what we aspire to as human beings, and a reminder of what we deplore. Indeed, most of our saints are remembered because they died in this way -- otherwise their ordinary lives of service and kindness might have been fogotten as memories faded over time.

Last year, my wife and I took my daughter and one of her friends to Baja in celebration of her 20th birthday. We arrived at Larry & Raquel's late one night -- dirty, tired and hungry. They were already getting ready for bed, but despite being told that we had some munchies to hold us over untill breakfast, Raquel insisted it was no trouble to make us a hot meal.

We had a wonderful visit and enjoyed Raquel's excellent cooking at every meal. After my wife and I went to bed early the second night, the girls found a couple of guys to drink with. The boys were coaxing them to go off into the dark somewhere to help finish off a bottle of tequila, but they decided to stay upstairs and drink beer because Raquel kept setting platters of snacks in front of them. This put them under Larry's watchful gaze until they stumbled to bed in the wee hours. Waking up with a hangover and sharper judgement the next day, my daughter related what happened, then said, "We didn't even know those guys and we were pretty drunk. I'm glad Larry and Raquel were keeping an eye on us." Yeah, so am I!

When I told my daughter what happened she was dumbfounded for a moment, then she burst into tears. She turned off the gangster rap that was blasting from her CD player and just sat quietly in the yard for a couple of hours. When I got ready to leave, she was in the kitchen making tacos for her daughter "the way Raquel made them".

I try to guide my daughter away from the ugliness of urban pop culture and more towards being an intelligent, generous and nurturing woman. It will help to remind her of Raquel -- a woman she admired and a role model I'm happy to see her emulate. She is sickened and outraged by the horrible way Raquel was killed, as well she should be. Nothing deprives the "gang-banger" image of its romance more than a real-life tragedy like this which leaves us grieving the loss of innocent life, especially of one so gentle.

So I will remember Raquel as a sort of modern, secular saint -- both for the way she lived and for the way she died. Let her memory serve as a reminder of the kind of person we want to be and as a reason to work even harder against violence.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 09:59 AM

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Almejas

sad.gif posted on 8-27-2006 at 03:05 PM

Thank you Al_Vino for the beautiful words. We are close friends of Raquel, Larry, and the family, and are hurting beyond words. Each day we think will be a little easier to get used this reality, but it's not. I'd had never experienced a true broken heart until now.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 03:44 PM
Thanks Al Vino

Inspiring thoughts - what more can I say.

John M
Rogelio39

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 06:25 PM
A sincere apology for incorrect information posted

Yesterday I posted a message on this forum that was incorrect, and I aplogize profusely to all who read and were influenced by it. I had learned it from a source that was close to law enforcement officials, and indicated that the information came from the initial police report. IT DID NOT.

I, as have many, recieved from Raquel's daughter, have now received a clear, informative, and heartfelt account of what transpired that fateful morning. In it she states conclusively that Larry did NOT see or recognize the shooter, as I had been told.

My motivation for putting forth the information that had been given to me was to save a lot of decent, hard-working Baja residents from economic loss due to the perception of a loss of control of safety on Highway One, and it's resulting negative effect on travel. If such a perception does indeed result in a generalized fear of travel in Baja, a lot of very good people, from the Hotel or restaurant owner, down to the sarape salesman on the beach, are going to be hurt.

It was in an effort to prevent this that I put forth the information I had been given, even though unproven, and I have certainly learned a hard lesson. In the final analysis, despite the circumstances, I was dead wrong to put forth such speculation, as I now know it to be, and at this point all I can do is offer profound apologies, and exit the situation a sadder but wiser man. My apologies to all.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 07:25 PM

Rogelio39

Your original post was posted with the best of intentions, as opposed to maliciously. Raquel's death wasn't an isolated incident; but sadly one of several horrific crimes in the past week & it's not like there wasn't a whole lot of speculation by a lot of people on all the various incidents.

Thank you for posting corrected information, I do feel however that this retraction should be posted to the original thread to stop that erroneous thread in it's tracks.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 07:30 PM

WOW...what a great post!!!!!........I thank you for your sincerity and honesty. Although we may differ on opinions, I think you are a "stand-up" guy.

I still feel that the only way that the "authorities" or government in Baja will respond to these type of incidents is if the business owners of Baja start complaining that government inaction is costing those business owners money. The government will probably not take any action or do anything unless it hits them (the government) in the wallet
chicadelsol

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 03:47 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of Raquel & Larry.

I went to Bahia for the first time for a week in late December of 04. Stayed at Raquel & Larry's. What kind people! I echo all that has been posted here - great cook, friendly and caring woman. We stayed in a room downstairs Raquel told us she rarely rents the top rooms to avoid having people walking on the heads of those staying downstairs. One of the nights we stayed, a couple with a small child pulled in very very late (all the lights were out). We heard convesation but quickly fell back to sleep. We awoke to little feet running over our head in the morning. We went up for breakfast and Raquel hoped we didn't mind the disturbance but the couple were so tired and hungry with a small child, could find no place to stay and so late at night she just couldn't turn them away and she wanted us to know had already helped find them a place to stay. It was no disruption to us but that was Raquel always thinking of everyone she encountered.

I just got back from Bahia on August 11 stayed at a different place because we had a large group but still had to head over to Raquel & Larrys for breakfast and say hello, only to find out they where in not in the area.

Raquel will be missed even by those who knew her little, shehas left a lasting memories.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 06:38 PM

Tres, thank you.

Mean people suck!
Almejas

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 08:35 PM

:mad:The following text is taken from the Vagabundos site, which I cannot believe they are just now posting information ONE WEEK AFTER Raquel Fife's horrific death. Thank you all for talking about these critical issues, Tom's shooting, and now the shooting death of the husband in the Mexican couple. I'm e-mailing local TV and radio stations tonight. Can't believe the media isn't jumping all over this!

Vagabundos text below:

Tourism Officials Speak to HQVDM About Recent Tourist Attacks in Baja

Baja State Tourism officials told HQVDM today, August 29, 2006, that all of the incidents concerning tourist attacks we have been hearing about are true, and that several people have already been arrested. Police at all levels are doing undercover work to identify others and are maintaining a permanent presence on the highways in Baja California Norte. They recommend that people not travel at night nor alone.

HQVDM will update this Forum and the VDM site Hotbox as new information from Tourism Officials is received. Members with verifiable information can forward links to Forum_Admin@vagabundos.com. Any posts on the Forums concerning the attacks which cannot be verified will be subject to review by the Forum Administrator and Moderators.
--------------------
John R.V. Jones
Forum Administrator
Site Webmaster
Club Vagabundos del Mar
Forum_Admin@vagabundos.com
Webmaster@vagabundos.com
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 09:01 PM

arrested????????????????????????
Almejas

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 09:40 PM

That's what it said, but I don't believe anything I am hearing just yet. . . I wish/beg/pray there are arrests for Raquel's murder (I still can't even believe I am typing those two words) :(:(:(:(:( and the other crimes. Wish there was some sort of way to draw the assailants out!!

I have to say to everyone that reading many of the kind postings about Raquel, Nomads sticking together, joining as a newbie, and the overall fellowship has been good medicine for us during these saddest days.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Almejas
:mad:The following text is taken from the Vagabundos site, which I cannot believe they are just now posting information ONE WEEK AFTER Raquel Fife's horrific death.

I'm not surprised.

It's always been very disappointing how little use the Vags board gets. You'd think it would be a great way of corresponding with others in the club, especially those who are organizing club outings. But the posts are just so few and far between.

Glad there's finally something over there. The organization has a great deal of influence in Mexico......so much so that I wish they'd use it a little more proactively in times like these. There's nothing preventing a non-profit from demanding action to protect American citizens.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.