Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Raquel and Larry
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:53 PM
Hard Working, Honest Cops

We were camped in San Felipe a few years back and our boys had brought their bicycles with us. They were chained up outside but adjacent to our camp at Club de Pesca. In the morning one of the bikes was missing and we went immediately to the owner who told us he'd call the police. Within a minute or two the police arrived, took the report and asked us to go to the station in an hour. By then they had arrested the young man who'd apparently executed the theft. We met with the police several times over the weekend and sat with the boy's family in the station. We were told that the boy had a bad history and was being removed from his family home in SF and sent to a juvenal correctional facility in Mexacali for 4 years. We felt like that was a BIG punishment but don't know the boys history. But the cops in SF were extremely cooperative and solved the crime quickly. Were we "set up" to protect the town's image? Did the boy actually go to the detention facility? We can't know, but what I do know is that there are honest cops and dishonest cops everywhere. The percentage might be slightly skewed in any country where tourists visit with everything while the local children have so little. But our experience with the local police was very rewarding. I?ve had my share of traffic tickets too, but I?ve never been pulled over when I haven?t committed the violation I was stopped for.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 09:20 PM

When I was broken down in my Suzuki (two weeks) in Loreto, at one point, feeling very vulnerable, I dropped into the PD and spoke to the Jefe and several officers. They were very helpful, and most of all, since they knew EVERYONE, they gave me a sort of box score of who I could trust and who I certainly couldn't. Since I was already in the grip of one rata, it gave me confidence and helped me make some serious decisions. The "authorities" here sure wouldn't have done that.:bounce::bounce:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:39 PM

Well, might as well throw my two cents in.......I am retired from the Nevada Department of Public Safety after 24 years as a Lieutenant in the Investigation Division. During 8 years of that time I was assigned as the Nevada INTERPOL Liason Representative.

My dealings with Mexican law enforcement (throughout Mexico) were all positive. They went out of their way to provide assistance and even went the "extra mile"....more than I can say for some US agencies, even our own FBI.

One case stands out more than others, and has been discussed here on Nomads several times. Two gentlemen from Nevada were homicide victims. Prior to the bodies being identified, I was able to travel in Baja and work with officers from Rosarito and Ensenada, State Judicial police and federal authorities (and also the military). They all worked dilligently to identify the victims, locate the victims vehicle, and that done, worked on locating and arresting the suspects. It did not make any difference that the victims were Americans, Germans or Mexican....Mexican authorities did all they could to solve this crime.

When we think of police or law enforcement, we generally think of the US model......but you must remember that in Mexico (or any other foreign country), you are in a different country with different methods and laws and customs. I was very impressed with the professionalism of those Mexican officers that I encountered, and what they could accomplish with their limited resources and under difficult circumstances.

Would I do it differently with my training, education and experience....yup....BUT....that doesn't mean that it can't be done another way.....so, I'm just going to sit back and watch....hopefully, this will have a positive ending, and those responsible for these violent acts will be brought to justice.

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by bajaguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:51 PM

Lizard Lips asks:
"Please tell me why you think the authorities would not investigate the death of an American citizen "as hard" as a Mexican national?"

Me (David K) answers:
"Gee, I guess common sense is the police would try harder for your own 'employers' (ie citizens)... Just a wish on my part that they try as hard as possible!"

Lizard Lips responds:
"Dave,
That is soo untrue. The police in Mexico have very limited sources, granted, but to make a statement like that is absurd..."

Me:
Dan, I did not mean to cause any offense.... I just was expressing my thoughts about an error posted in nationality recognition. It was my feelings/ belief/ whatever, that could be (not would be) the case. A 'feeling' can not be untrue as it is something we have inside us, it exists.

I am more happy than you could know that the Mexican police investigators are totally blind as to the nationality of a crime victim, in doing their job! Hooray for them! I wish all police around the world were just as pure to not let nationality affect their performance.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 10:38 PM

Just as a second to what Bruce was saying. I believe you said something about a Mulege cop taking a bullet for him. I know a lot of the police in Mulege. Trust me, They'll take a cervesa from you if offered, but they won't take a bullet for you.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
bajabob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 01:34 PM

Sorry to hear about Raquel's passing. Very sad indeed.
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 06:17 PM
I am just crushed

I know I haven't been very active on this forum in the past year or so but I can't believe I missed this. My wife and I and our two children spent 4 unbelieveable nights with Larry and Racquel at their beach house for Christmas a couple years ago.

It was our first trip to BOLA and we entered with no reservations and just fierce winds. We were unimpressed with most of the motels we visited and decided to take our chances a little south at L/R after hearing about them on this board.

Racquel set us up in the house and kindly accepted a personal check to allow us to save our cash. Racquel was so nice to our children letting them watch her prepare meals in the kitchen with the other women and constantly offering us anything she could to make our stay a good one.

We corresponed with her by email a few times after our visit and looked forward to another visit. I just read this post the other day and have been walking with a heavy heart ever since. What a huge loss for so many.

Larry if you happen to see this please know that my heart goes out to you and the family. I can't begin to imagine how what a nightmare this must have been.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 08:08 AM

Welcome back family guy...

It is sad that the news and information is not always good..
In reading the posts above yours, I see one by our friend Mike Humfreville, who left us in November last year and now rests in the town cemetery with an eternal view of Bahia de los Angeles...

[Edited on 9-7-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 08:19 AM

It's now been over one year since this horrific event occurred. I've seen no post here reporting that the perps were ever apprehended. Anyone know if that's the case? If so, where's Rambo, Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson when we need them!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 08:29 AM

I met Larry in Sharky's a few months back. We tossed back a few and talked a bit. A very interesting man.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 11:19 AM

I have had first hand experience with theft, reporting to police and never getting any of the money back. When I returned months later, the police didn't even have a record of the report. They had refused to make a report, saying,"we can't do that." I saw them making reports on a computer and giving out copies to all the locals while I awaited my turn.

Those "in the know" assured me that the police know who commited the theft. Hmmmmmm!:fire:

Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 05:06 PM

I spent part of my day reading this thread and mourning someone I never knew and will never get to know. Raquel sounds like a wonderful woman and I am so sorry her family has had to endure this pain. It saddens me that there seems to be no answer as to whether anyone was ever arrested or tried or punished for any of these violent acts - not that bad things like this don't go unpunished elsewhere. And I'm not blaming the police because I have no experience in that area - I'm just sad.

But it also made me wonder why everyone got so excited about the recent report on the Bloody Decks website about the gunpoint robbery near the border and was so very skeptical of that posting. Is it because they think "those people" are just making stuff up or is it because it strikes a nerve, especially considering Tom's story (link in this thread)? I guess because it was told in third-person?? I know my husband, Amir, was very skeptical right away as well. I guess I sometimes have no antennae.

I am a relatively new arrival to Baja Sur and hope to live here and only visit the USA a few times a year. I did not like that this made me feel unsafe, but it did a bit. I stated on an earlier thread that I avoid TJ and insist that we cross at Otay Mesa or Tecate. Oldhippie was glad that I won't clog up the streets in TJ, but being a 60 year old gringa lacking in Spanish (took French instead - how handy) I feel intimidated and like a fish out of water driving in intense Mexican city traffic. So easy to take a wrong turn and end up somewhere I should not be.

Amir tried to assure me that he knows many women who drive the road alone all the way from Todos Santos to the border and expressed that he hoped I would be able to do that as well in the future because he doesn't want to have to take time off from work every time I want to go north. I guess I'll just have to fly most of the time even though I enjoy the road and seeing the different landscape and small towns along the way. There is no way I will ever drive the road alone.

I love it here and it feels that people (Mexican & others) try to make me feel welcome, but I must admit to sometimes having a nagging feeling that it's a smile to my face and a grimmace that I'm another northern invader when they turn around. I wish I didn't feel that way and I hope I'm proven wrong as time passes and my Spanish improves, but as one poster said earlier in this thread a feeling is just something you have - based in truth or not.

This may be an inappropriate place to place these thoughts, but ... sorry if that is the case.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 05:19 PM

I can so relate to how you are feeling gnome-ad. I do not believe that I would
want to drive to the border alone at this point as well. ( Having said that, there are plenty of places in Calif, along our route home that are scarry as well.)

I can tell you, that I would feel more comfortable now than I would have 3 years ago when we first started our project in TS. Our Mexican neighbors have given me more confidence by their acceptance and introductions to their huge family. It's one thing to make gringo friends but a whole other to be accepted by the locals. Studying the language has also been huge. From your post I can tell that you have the right attitude to blend into their culture and will soon feel more comfortable. I am looking forward to meeting you and we can discuss this subject at length!!!

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 05:26 PM

I have to say, I do build up some fear when reading this board. Bad things do happen. As far as anyone here is aware, this particular incident was very rare in Baja, with the exception of the Tijuana-Ensenada Corridor. I now avoid that stretch of road. A contributing factor for making us feel vulnerable is the fact that HWY 1 is a long, narrow, and often desolate highway. If you do encounter trouble, where are you going to go to escape it? Who's going to help?

Having said that, I do know women (and men;myself) who drive it often, alone, and never have problems.

Here's some reassuranace: Once I am in Baja I don't get that feeling of fear that I do sitting in front of my computer. I actually feel good, kinda like this guy>>>>>>>:bounce:
The feeling is uplifting; one of warmth and it feels like there is a guiding light protecting me. Sorta the same principle that the weather always looks worse from inside your window, than if you were outside...hurricanes excepted....that would be stupid!:yes::O:spingrin:

Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 05:47 PM

Marie-Rose ~ Thanks for the encouraging words. I know you met Amir and I look forward to meeting you. I know it will really be okay and we really do feel like we are supposed to be here.

And Toneart ~ Thanks for the reminder. I, too, feel more bouncy in Baja in so many wonderful ways. Thanks for all your thoughtful posts and encouragement. I know when I am on the road again sometime in the future this thread will be way in the back of my head and I will once again enjoy the beauty of Baja's Route 1. :yes:

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.