Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: VIOLENCE AND CRIMES AGAINST AMERICANS IN BAJA
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 11:17 AM

For all you Nomads-Remember there is only Three Things important in Life!!

"Old Dogs, Little Children and Watermellon Wine"

Anon The Preacher
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
A quick search of this board yields Oso first commenting on "Pizza Insurance" 05/22/05:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10601&pag...
(or)
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10601&pag...

And Dave first commenting on a pizzachit vehicle 05/10/04:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=3354&page...

With all due respect, Doug, the term predates this board. You'd have to see if the Robitailles have archives of the early Amigos board. Where does Dave say he first saw it?
:spingrin:

I purposely commented about it being a check of this board for just that reason. I did not say anything about it predating anything elsewhere.

;)

And no, I'm not aware of anything archived by Earle, Eric or Trish.

If you poke around a bit, you may find something at either:

Later Amigos Board

Earlier Amigos Board

It's all good!

--
Doug

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 12:55 PM

Thanks Doug,
It ain't like I got a copywrite to protect. The search feature is a bit squirelly at the moment but I'll keep trying. It's a blast to find any of those messages from way back.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 01:02 PM

NOMADS...

LET'S TRY TO STAY ON THE DISCUSSION TOPIC!

AMO

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by AmoPescar]
kingpin
Banned

[*] posted on 8-26-2006 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by kingpin
Anyone remember the two guys from Reno 10 or so years back? This case is taking on the same characteristics.
Sure. Alan Swan and Herb Dohr. Almost 9 years ago: Nov '97.

I don't see "same characteristics" with this though.

--
Doug

People laying in wait for the unsuspecting mark. Not a random act. The perps were well aware of who they were going after and what they wanted. Not a crime any official could do anything about no matter how many letters gringos write. I was thinking along those lines.
kingpin
Banned

[*] posted on 8-27-2006 at 07:26 PM

Not to mention tons of publicity, and lots of emotion. I don't want to have to tell anyone to chill out, but the question was asked.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:34 AM

No gov official will do anything. They never have and they never ever will. They are scared to death especially with no certainty of gov control and chaos in D.F. They know that those mexicans who speak up will suffer lashback. Whenever a serious crime occurs among mexicans they say nothing-as in not a word. Move on. Ask a mexican government official in private what to do and they will say, ask an american to help, the average american is far more resourceful, capable, willing and powerful. It's true and we know it-we have faith in ourselves and in the world.

Mexico has almost no economy and it will get worse as they run out of petroleum resources and water which is happening rapidly. 40% of gnp is based on fuel reserves, 10% is mordida, 10% of the economy is crime-the rest is foreign investment and tourism. It is very frustrating to interact economically with mexican modus operandi.

Speaking of all of this, having been the victim of crime in baja 6 times this year, personally sometimes I think, why don't I respond, for example, when some mexican/policia is robbing me and I am watching I want to do something serious, I know who they are, I know exactly who they are and where they live. I never have and hopefully never will. I am happy to move on afterwards and not give it a thought either. Who cares? So what? broken window loss of goods? But I do want to do something. Taking photos doesn't help, no one will pursue it, and photos don't prove anything even if you catch them in the act, confronting won't help, at times inside I think of doing something violent like driving over banditos when they try to stop me in the road, I have thought of going back to look for banditos or watching them and going back to their house and dumping oil in their driveyway, water in their gas tank, nails in their tires, smashing bottles-I'm saying I have never responded in kind to banditos and violence-just for a moment, in the moment it crosses my mind.

The whole thing is very sad. Generally, Mexicans have little to no economy and they see us poor americans who saved a few bucks to go camping, driving by with 4 tires, and all the windows in our cars and loaded with cool stuff and they just loose it. Worse when the bad people are drunk or nowadays on drugs...which is often, they just loose it and take what they can. To the average mexican poor person, americans are perceived to be billionaires, Elvis Presely and Marilyn Monroe. It is so sad since it is becoming harder and harder to just be friends in pueblos with so much perceived jelousy.

By the way I file police reports, I name the criminals, I submit their photos, I do confront them in a peaceful way and ask them to reconsider their actions since we can longer remain friends if they are going to take things from people.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:38 AM
"how to pass a military checkpoint"

I made a video "how to pass a military checkpoint" it is for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxnQIsB-mA

[Edited on 8-28-2006 by gnukid]
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:00 AM

You are very lucky. Frankly, I would consider offering unsolicited gifts before inspection to be VERY suspicious behaviour and I would make you unload everything in the vehicle.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:22 AM

I give gifts at military inspections, stickers, magazines, hats, shorts etc to everyone I can because in case you don't know they don't have anything and besides it helps to give away what you don't need. It is common courtesy to share what you have if you can. I have alot of experience in baja and the first rule is share. Try it.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 09:41 AM
Gift-Giving

I'ts better to think of the Gift-Giving in terms of personal satisfaction rather than a goodwill investment that will be rewarded at a later date.

I, too, have always made it a regular practice to give away sodas, dulces, other items to the troops. Back when the same personnel were at the "Airport" turnoff checkpoint South of San Felipe, I was once asked by the ranking Sargeant if I could buy a small 2-3 man tent for which he would repay me. Coming back a week later, I brought two of the tents I had purchased at Walmart. When he asked how much he owed me, I told him that they were a gift. He grinned, shook my hand and called me Amigo. A couple of days later, I went into town to pick up some misc items. At the checkpoint, they were inspecting each vehicle. As I pulled up, I waved to the Sargeant, sitting in a lawn chair under the shade tarp. He waved back, but I was still inspected just like everyone else. OH WELL.
Pops
Nomad

Mood: Therianthropic

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
I give gifts at military inspections, stickers, magazines, hats, shorts etc to everyone I can because in case you don't know they don't have anything and besides it helps to give away what you don't need. It is common courtesy to share what you have if you can. I have alot of experience in baja and the first rule is share. Try it.

I find that they REALLY appreciate 7.62x39mm's :wow:;D:lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
I have alot of experience in baja .

Ah, that explains the masterful command of the language.

Nice video work.

For me, it's a matter of timing. I also give them stuff, especially cold drinks when it's just a couple of kids in the hot sun of San Nowhere. But, I never begin the conversation by offering gifts. It's just too easy to interpret that as an attempted bribe to avoid inspection, which could lead to an even more thorough inspection. AFTER they've looked me over is another matter. Or often it's when a soldier is looking into my "comer" cooler full of sodas etc. and gives me that raised eyebrow look that says "May I?" Then I usually nod and ask "Gusta?" I also like to carry a lot of candy, the non-meltable kind, for kids. Jolly Ranchers seem to be much appreciated and not common.

Asking how much something costs and if I want to sell it is usually BS. But for some reason, the Mexican Army seems unable to supply its troops with enough flashlight batteries. If asked for these and I have plenty, I'll part with some but they do cost more there so I always hoard some.

Some time ago, I posted about a great experience I had at the El Doctor reten on the way to El Golfo, when one NCO in particular went to great lengths to help an old gringo ( umm, one with a 20-something Mexican grand-niece) with a difficult flat tire change. No one would accept cash and as it was just a quick day trip, I wasn't carrying much. So, I bought a case of 24 cokes (they cost more there) and a bag of ice and dropped them off on the way back to SLRC. The same guy was there and with a slight frown, said I should not have brought anything. I set them down on a stump under a tree and told him ok, I was just going to abandon them there and they could do anything they wanted with them.

k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2006 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
I made a video "how to pass a military checkpoint" it is for fun.

Ooohhh Pablito numero dos. Don't go quitting the instructional work for directing whey!!!!! hahaha
Always schmoooozing tehe yea works for me too
Pablo # 1
ps bought baja dirt yet?? (and quit with the fear-mongering re baja travel ... you always attract the bottom feeders!!! HAHA)

[Edited on 8-29-2006 by k1w1]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 09:33 AM
7.62 Gifts ?

It would seem more likely that they would prefer 7.62 x 51s or 5.56 x 45s depending on which firearm they carry. Of course, they might have an AK at home, I guess. Anyway, if you decide on one or the other as an appropriate gift, let us know how it works out.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2006 at 10:40 AM

Regarding the video.....

Nice scenery up until the checkpoint, we also liked the music.

We handle the inspection a little differently. If I'm the passenger I don't get out of the truck, but invite them in with me. I tell them we don't have drugs or guns, and the dog in the back seat only bites coyotes. If the bulldog is along for the drive, he's a novelty and most of the time they are only interested in him.

Dern gets out and opens the back, hovering over them as we have lost a few articles in the past. We handle the 'gift giving' like Oso, when the inspection is over we gladly offer a cold refreshment if asked. The young men are most friendly and usually pass us right through. It seems like if you have the attitude that you've done this a million times then they cut you slack. If you're the new guy on the block, for example a car load of surfers all had to get out, standing around with their arms crossed acting all nervous. They had every backpack taken out and looked through, board bags etc. They were asked if they wanted to sell their sleeping bags, flashlights. What I'm getting at is they probably seemed like an easy target.

It also speeds up our inspection when we don't pack very neatly and cans of food and such fall out as soon as the camper shell doors are opened.

On our last trip Dern's patience was running low as it had been a loooong trip. He was asked where we were coming from and he answered in Spanish, 'The moon'. The soldier laughed and said that he didn't look green enough to be a martian. He let us pass.

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.