BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
pelicanreefbarandgrill

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 05:40 PM

We are so sorry to hear about goings on down there. Has anyone heard from Calamity Jayne, Gene Lee, Peter, Rick Barber or Bonnie and Gary? We are going to try to come down with supplies as soon as the road is passable. Can someone there please let us know what is most needed? You can reach us via email at pelicanreefbaja@hotmail.com or call us at (864)494-3420. If anyone wants to try to convoy down let us know.
Any info on anyone in Mulege would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Val and Pierce
ferrelli

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:21 PM
What is needed

I spoke to my mom and dad (Tom and Patti Higginbotham) today via Marv's satellite. They desperately need nonperishable food, fresh water, SHOES (teva style sandals best) because many people have nothing, clothes, and something to cook on. I will let you know when I hear more.

Jim, if you read this, I sent an e-mail telling them to use everything in your sheds, etc.

I will send an e-mail about Herman and Tanya. I did not hear anything from my parents about them, so I can almost guarantee they are fine.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:32 PM

some one told me to be carful of what I wish for and they were right. Mulege was devestated by John and some many have lost everything. some peple are still mising and we are looking for them. I have been helping to rescue peple sence saterday night with little sleep. Mulege is compleetly cut off from every ware and with out power water and phone service. the stores have very little food and no drinking water. it looks like it is going to be a cople of weeks befor anything changes so it is going to be real tough on a lot of peple here. every form of help is needed sence bouth the hospital and clinc were flooded. we compleetly lost 2 schools including the new high school. als many business and hundereds of homes. the ones tha are left sufered servire damege,also it took out all of the city water wells so it will be a very long time for them to get us water again. many of us are staying in the kindergarden . I hope every one will excuse my spelling I am very tired and dont have spell check here. so far ther have only been a few deaths confermend but rummers are runing ramped. I will not be abel to respond to this untill they have restored phones and electricty in Mulege.

on a personal not we sufered no property damege to eather our house and business in town or at my ranch and all of my family are just fine.

Bruce

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

pelicanreefbarandgrill

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:43 PM

Bruce,
We are so glad to hear that you and your family are safe. We are trying to organize a caravan or relief effort by air from the states. Please let everyone know that we are praying for them and they are not forgotten up here. When we can figure out a way to get help there, it will be on the way.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:46 PM

Hi all

I have a place across the river from the Orchard next to Huerta Don Chano. Is there any word on how it fared over there? Does anyone know how Manuel and Alisha and family are? If possible, tell Manuel to use our house and whatever he needs-if we have anything left.
I have some pictures of the Orchard and will post them if I can figure out how.
Rod Eck
reck@goldrush.com
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:48 PM

Bruce glad to hear that you are ok. Hope that help comes to you all in Mulege soon. If I let you know, can you pick up a package or two from the bus station when the road is open again.

Here is a photo of the men in our village helping CFE stand a power pole upright....man power for sure. Within 6 hours we had power again.

These tragedies always bring communities closer and I am sure that will be the case in Mulege.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:50 PM

Maybe a laugh is needed.
This is how to anchor a portable office

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:54 PM

Judy, Glad to see you have weathered the storm and are back with your good humor in hand. Hasta entonces, Sara
baja1

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 06:54 PM
Relief flights

The Baja Bush Pilots are in contact with Mexico City in an effort to determine what strips are open as well as what is needed. Mexico City has very little knowledge regarding the needs.
On our site we have posted the need for aircraft to do relief work. We have several aircraft as well as one helicopter that have indicated that they can fly supplies into mid-Baja. There will be more once we know more information. The hope is that supplies can be picked up on mainland Mexico (not from the US) and flown in so that the flights are short. Regarding the helicopter, we would want to take supplies to a strip close to the need where a transfer can be made and taken on in.
We need information as to what is specifically needed and where the supplies are available before we call for pilots.
Please e-mail me at jack@bajabushpilots.com if you have specific information.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 07:17 PM

Finally have a computor and back on line have not read the john postes yet, just to let you know the last trip into La Paz today about 4 there were at least 30 CFE vehicles in the arroyo north of La Paz makeing ready to head north, from the news Comundo area was hit hard.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 07:40 PM

Got a U2U from Bruce and the news wasn't good about my place. Im sure I'm just one of many. I'll be heading down as soon as the doctor clears me which hopefully will be at the end of this week. Let me know if there's anything specific anyone needs other than water beans etc. Feeling a little depressed right now so doing anything would help. Thanks Bruce and please get some sleep mi amigo.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 07:50 PM
Loreto back on line

Some wind, lots of rain, mostly light damage, very messy, highway out, electricty out for 18 hours, phone and net for 36, water still.

Cleaning up going on at a good clip with lots of army help.

Should be pretty normal within a couple more days.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 08:34 PM

I want to echo Lenchos comment, I cannot stress the importance of mosquito netting, bug spray/lotion, water filtration kits and chlorine enough. I know the others are important also but the spread of disease is very real and very dangerous. As soon as there is a place to collect these items and get them in the hands of folks heading down from stateside please let us know so we can send care packages.

I don't have much to report anymore....it is evident that there is a real crisis in Mulege. The cape got pounded but from what I am hearing it is obvious that the priority should be mulege. there is a lot of support from close by areas that fared well around the cape to help those locally.

We need to get help quickly to the north.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
bajabob13
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:12 PM
mulege

Has anyone seen Roy ( minister ) & DeDe? How about David & DeeDee (the divers)? Has anyone been out to Los Naranjos? Would also like to hear from Gabor & family.
Thanks
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

eureka.gif posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:25 PM
Relief group in San Diego forming

Hi, I'm new here and glad I found you. I am trying to get some people and supplies together to bring supplies down to Baja. You can read my postings on Craigslist.com/san diego/community/ volunteers. I've only gotten a small response and no one showed up to my meeting tonight but I'm still trying. Any Idea about when the roads will be passable from San Diego and also where the help is needed most. I'd like to focus on the poor working people in the ejidos (sp.?) but I'll help anyone. I have someone with a 4x4 truck willing to deliver, and a couple others to collect supplies. Thanks in advance for any replies. I have read the threads so no need to repeat that info. Thanks and be safe.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:56 PM

Johnny,

Right now Mulege is in crisis and needs immediate help. Don't know about ejedos. It is impossible for them to report as of yet.

For your efforts....Bless you! It seems the media is not aware of the devestation in Mulege. Perhaps if you could get The San Diego Union involved other news services would pick it up. I think that would also generate more interest in your efforts.
TechsMex

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:22 PM

BajaBob,
Roy left about two days before the storm, he & Dede are in CA. He left his truck and a lot of stuff where he was staying in the Orchard, but he's really anxious for someone to check his place at Narojos as he never closed it up properly cause he was only going for two weeks. He'll be heading down soon.
He's also wondering about the condition of the church.
Peter
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:34 PM

I received this u2u tonight, but it should be posted here where it can do some good...

To: David K
Folder: Inbox
Sent: 9-4-2006 at 10:02 PM
Message: Would like to help but not sure what to do if road access is not possible.

I have a 28 ft travel trailer i could load up but not sure what is needed. Probably water, & food. Perhaps a group could organize a trip down with supplies.

Please let me know.

Art Petersen - Valley Center CA
760 214 1659 - awfulart1 @ sbcglobal.net

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by BajaNomad]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 02:00 AM

Drivers wait to continue their way after a mudslide blocked the road to La Paz following the passage of Hurricane John, 2 September. Hurricane John and the floods it spawned over the weekend killed four people, including an American, and left two people missing, Mexican authorities in Baja California said(AFP/File/Luis Acosta)
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 02:02 AM
At least three killed in Mexico by Hurricane John

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N04299509.htm

05 Sep 2006 03:48:58 GMT

LA PAZ, Mexico, Sept 4 (Reuters) - At least three people, including one Briton, were killed when Hurricane John slammed into Mexico's Baja California peninsula, authorities said on Monday.

Three other people are missing after the passage of John, which has been downgraded to a tropical depression, and is now off the west coast of Baja California state and dumping rains on southern U.S. States. But the storm is no longer a major threat.

A British tourist was found drowned on the west coast of Baja California Sur state after his camper trailer was dragged away by a flooding river, the state government said.

The two other dead were Mexicans who also drowned when they were swept away by swollen rivers in separate accidents.

Originally, the civil protection rescue agency said that no one was killed in Baja California Sur state by the storm. But the fatalities came to light in remote regions to the north of the state capital La Paz.

Hurricane John blasted the tourist port city of La Paz late Friday and over the weekend with wicked winds and torrential rain that knocked out power and flooded streets.

The storm flattened trees and up to 40 electric power poles and sent advertising signs flying in city and about 4,000 people living in low-lying areas of La Paz were moved to shelters.

It also sent tourists fleeing in the elegant seaside resort of Los Cabos, further to the west on the tip of the Baja peninsula, which extends about 680 miles (1,100 km) south from the U.S. border.

Hundreds of vacationers, mainly from the United States, took flights home early and others holed up in hotel shelters as the storm threatened to hit the resort head on.

But it veered away from Los Cabos just before making landfall, and only flooded roads as muddy rainwater and debris from surrounding hills poured down unpaved streets.
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.