Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 08:05 PM

Up here in Montana we are worried about our home in Loreto. A small part of me wants to be there to do what I can to keep our place safe and help neighbors. But mostly I don't want to watch and feel the possible devastation, and I'll deal with what happens when we return in October.
Whatever I'm doing in the next few days I'll be thinking of all of you down there. I'm afraid it may be really bad in La Paz and south, but I'll be hoping for the best. Take care,

Paula
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200611_sat.h...
I know nothing about hurricanes, but Look like these are about to join.

Well, that's possible (they're opposite gender), but will they cooperate?

--Larry

OH my God!!!!! Let's hope they kill each other!

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:12 PM

Having gone thru Fausto and Juliette ( category 3) I know how bad it can get. Goggle me and Juliette for some dramatic reports and photos.

If this thing really hits as a cat 4 there is no chance in hell the new bridges at Migrino just north of Cabo and San jacinto in Elias calles will hold up. We were stranded for 2 weeks in elias calles after Juliette. The Mexican air force finally dropped food and water to us.

I have been in contact with several of my satellite customers in the area and they are ready. As soon as I start to get reports from them I will post here. Luckily we have been stockpiling equipment in Elias calles in anticipation of a bad hurricane season so no matter what happens we should be able to get complete reports with photos quickly from the area.

If you are in the path of this monster please remember to power down everything, especially inverters during the storm and do not power up until all is dried out. we replaced many a system because they shorted out in the intense moisture.

Good luck to all down there.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:22 PM

Bajabus, Thanks! and HUNKER-DOWN! I remember your minute by minute reports during Juliette. Your photos during that time scared I'm sure not only me. Be safe!

Mean people suck!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:24 PM

Some of the finest 'Internet' happened while you were in Cocina Pacifica (Elias Calles) reporting LIVE via satellite... I had the pleasure of posting the photos you took for all to see!

Many will remember that storm thanks to you, Max!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:30 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060831/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/hurric...

More Yahoo News coverage for everyone.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:36 PM

Well as upset as I am that I am in NC right now and not down in Elias Calles I am sort of glad to be safe, at least that's what my wife would have me think.

My partner is in Elias calles right up the beach from my place and we are in constant contact. We also have a rock solid 1.8mt dish on a 4 inch sch 40 steel pipe filled with concrete and a crap load of cement as the footing. Same dish we used to blog live during the storm. I worry about Rick because he is alone. I also have equipment and supplies stockpiled in San Diego with Import/Export ready to go down on next weeks Friday truck.

I have no hope for our palapa roof and windows......

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:43 PM

I went to the deposito and bought 4 cases of beer...case of red wine from costco...they had one cajera doing nothing but checking out people with generators. Saw everyone I know who has internet and realizes the gravity of this storm. Saw some local friends who did not know but were thankful to know(especially being at Costco when they received the news).
I think that we will be lucky if John moves more to the west. Still time for him to do that.
It is dead calm here now and very hot and humid.
scary:biggrin:

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:45 PM

Any one further up the peninsula using the standard .75Mt starband internet dish that needs a new dish after the storm because of damage contact me. I will give you one free immediately (you pay shipping). no need to be my customer

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 09:55 PM

Bajabus has always been one of the good guys on this board and the above post shows it again. Good dog! :!:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
By tomorrow morning we will definately know where this thing is heading, either west to cabo, center to los barriles, or into the sea of cortez and La Paz. Bought sand bags today

Hey, Jesse-- where'd you get the bags?

--Larry

At any bakery, hardware stores are out.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 10:51 PM
this scares the you know what outta me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Nomads:
The Tract of this Storm reminds me of Hurricane Lisa in 76{?}
Many many People were washed down the Arroyo when the Resevior bust in La Paz.
I was in Loreto setting in a MotorHome with Tio Don. We had placed Lines around the Palapa Roof and tied them to the Ground with Stakes.
The Arroyo ran many Days after washing out 80,000 Tons of Gravel/Sand created the Sand Spit just South of Hotel Oasis.
WE found Coral Sankes, a Donkey still tied to a Post that came down from San Javier. The Debris piled up on the Beach about Three Feet, and extented out from the Shore 7 Miles .
I would also suggest to the people in Loreto to get prepared for Much Water and winds to at least 85 MPH if this Storm contuines on this Track.

The people of MiraMar should really be concerned as several years Past the two Arroyos were put together and directed toward th Space where the New Salbot Marina is to be Constructed.

Be Aware!
Skeet/Loreto

OK Skeet. This is as far as I got into this thread after looking at the storm track for the first time in about 8 hours. I will be watching this closely but maybe not for long as I need to prepare (including taking down my direcway antenna as its just over my palapa roof and I don't want it to get blown off and kill someone). Have a few questions though regarding some of your experience in Loreto with the hurricane Lisa:

I am currently home alone with two children and hy other half is south of Acapulco with his mom helping her to celebrate the passing of his grandmother and readying mom to come live with us. So I have to prepare myself although I will be hiring some rehab guys to help me tomorrow and friday...

how did you tie down your palapa roof? I live above Miramar on bedrock 8 inches down. Don't even know how I'd drive a stake into that. but when I built the roof we put in storm reinforcements.

also Miramar. I have a step-grandson there in a shack in a neighborhood that is in an arroyo below Savaats hill. sounds like I need to take them in for this. They live not far from the arroyo that usually floods (and is puddled up now) in the slightest rains.

do you remember tidal surges into town? I'm getting pretty concerned for my inventory and equipment in our shop in the center of town. I think I'll ask my landlord about the history of the building and if it had ever flooded.

Do you remember how far the center of the storm (Lisa) was when it passed by Loreto and how strong a storm it was?

Thank you,

Pam
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 10:57 PM

Bajabus,

You may not be safe in North Carolina....Ernesto is on his way! My Sister in Durham is very nevous..
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2006 at 11:50 PM

pam noone can predick the future at best it can be hundreads of percent off sucure what you can put the top shelf items on the top shelf pack a big picknic basket and go up on the hill with your family you have the best indicator in the whole area your family this too will pass good luck jerry ps take misty and hers with ya

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 04:09 AM

Pam: Tio and I used large Rocks and Logs of Palm Trees, in fact we think the Dead Palm Logs did the Job. Cresscross the Lines and tie down at each Corner.
I would get the Kids to High Ground and stay between the Arroyo{on the Hill above the {Fishermans Church}. You will have to watch as Jordon will run full then hit the Seawall and go North to the outlet next to the Mission Hotel.The area of the Hotel Oasis is a fairly safe area.
I would try to stay somewhere in the High Area back of the entrance to Loreto.

As far as the Storm surge, there was no Seawall in 76 so would think that the Marina will get washedout if the South Surge Hits stronger than 85MPH.

The Track in Lisa Hit La Paz and then veered toward Villa Constitution toward the Pacific{Saved Wind Damage to Loreto}.
The major problems will be Water from the Mountains, closing of the Roads for maybe two Weeks of more! Stock up on Water for Drinking.
If it does not veer to the west just Hold on and Pray.

Skeet/Loreto
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 05:29 AM
Hurricane John lashes Mexico's Pacific coastline

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200608...

The Associated Press
August 31. 2006

PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico - Hurricane John lashed tourist resorts with heavy winds and rain Wednesday as the dangerous storm marched up Mexico's Pacific coast, and forecasters predicted its center would brush close to land before nicking the tip of Baja California and heading out to sea.

The Category 4 hurricane could dump up to a foot of rain along parts of Mexico's southern coast, causing landslides or flooding, meteorologists warned. The hurricane had maximum sustained winds of 135 mph and stronger gusts capable of ripping roofs off buildings and causing storm surges of up to 18 feet above normal. It was expected to strengthen somewhat throughout the night Wednesday.

John was not expected to affect the United States - cooler Pacific waters tend to diminish the storms before they reach California. But a hurricane warning covered a more than 300-mile stretch of the Mexican coastline from the port city of Lazaro Card##as north to Cabo Corrientes, the southwestern tip of the bay that holds Puerto Vallarta.

The government also issued a hurricane watch for portions of the southern Baja Peninsula, from La Paz south on the east coast and from Sante Fe south on the west coast, an area which includes the resort city of Cabo San Lucas.

So far, the most damaging winds have remained offshore, and only tropical storm-force winds have hit the coast.

Skies were clear and tourists relaxed on the beach in Puerto Vallarta. But officials postponed the arrival of a Carnival cruise chip and prohibited customary tours of the bay.

Aniko Simon, 37, a tourist from Toronto, gathered with her family on the beach. She said she hadn't been aware there was a hurricane in the area until last night, when she saw a television news report. The family plans to return home Friday as scheduled.

William Rousseau, a tourist from Oregon vacationing with his family in Puerto Vallarta, said hotel officials warned about the hurricane "but we're calm because they say it's not going to hit this city."

"We're continuing to enjoy the city," he said. "They just asked us not to go into the ocean or on any bay tours."

Other tourists could be seen strolling through the streets visiting craft shops and eating in restaurants.

In Cabo San Lucas on the Baja Peninsula, there was more urgency, with fishermen and port authorities rushing to prepare for the hurricane, and local authorities setting up shelters.

"We are preparing shelters for the evacuation of civilians, if that becomes necessary," said Luis Armando Diaz, mayor of Los Cabos, situated on Baja's southern tip.

"According to the information we have, the storm is coming right toward Los Cabos."

Cabo San Lucas Port Captain Everardo Jimenez said he instructed the operators of a tourist boat to get the craft out of the water.

Back on the mainland and closer to the storm's current location, the area south of Lazaro Card##as to the resort of Acapulco was under a tropical storm warning. Tropical storm-force winds were lashing Lazaro Card##as and the resort of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo.

Although the center of John was forecast to remain just offshore, hurricane-force winds were likely to begin raking beaches near Puerto Vallarta late Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said. The storm was then expected to nick Los Cabos at the tip of the Baja California Peninsula on Friday before heading out to sea.

The Mexican army and emergency services were on alert all along the coast. The civil protection agency for the state of Jalisco, which includes Puerto Vallarta, announced it would ask 8,000 residents living in risk-prone coastal areas to evacuate voluntarily to 900 temporary shelters. Those who refused would be moved by police officers, the government agency Notimex reported.

Mexican forecasters predicted up to 10 inches of rain on the coast and "torrential downpours" in the Jalisco state capital of Guadalajara, Notimex said. Public schools were canceled in Acapulco and surrounding communities.

In the resort cities of Ixtapa and Zijuatanejo, about three hours up the coast from Acapulco, authorities closed the port to small ocean craft and set up temporary shelters. Some students decided to leave school early before any potential flooding.

Light rain fell in Ixtapa, where the five-star Emporio Hotel received only minor warnings of rising tides. Receptionist David Gonzalez said none of the hotel's 92 guests had said they would leave early.

Pedro Ochoa, reception clerk at the four-star Posada Real Ixtapa Hotel, said neither staff nor guests were making any special preparations for the storm because "we were advised that it was headed elsewhere."

The center of the hurricane Wednesday night was about 100 miles south of Manzanillo and its outer bands, packing heavy rain, were churning toward the resort and port city, according to the hurricane center. John was moving to the northwest near 16 mph. So far, the most damaging winds have remained offshore, and only tropical storm-force winds have hit the coast.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 06:43 AM

Dear Friends-- I'm scheduled to arrive in Cabo next Thursday and spend some time there and up in La Paz where we have property. Like so many opportunities in life I've come to know some of you by your pposts here, and to be honest I like you.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and my friends in La Paz. This looks like a monster coming your way and my best wishes for your preparations and health during these days.

Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 06:55 AM

looks like johns path will be a direct hit on the tip as a cat. 4 dropping to a 3 after landfall. will see what happens to that new marina in san jose.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 07:03 AM

Look at the size. I hope I am wrong,
but.....:no::no::no:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200611_sat.h...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 08:00 AM

Lou quaccia on the east cape road reports that everyone is busy securing their homes and that most are stocked up with supplies. Most All our satellite customers are linked and in touch with each other.
Ted goodman who never takes anything seriously is boarding up his house in Migrino for the first time in 11 years.

we should be getting reports from Cabo Pulmo, punta pescadero, Los barriles, vinorama, 5 palms and other locations around the tip.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.