Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: What constitutes a post worthy of "viewing"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:59 AM

Bruce was posting over on the "I need Nomad Help" thread which he opened.
I wonder how he's going to feel when he gets time to look around and comes to all this crap ......
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:59 AM
Hose A

I assumed it would be rather foolish to ask him anything when I figured that he had taken the very good advise he had been offered by many and that he would not be there to read my post.

A prayer was said and that was all I could do under the circumstances.

Yo'all suppose it is about time to lighten up a bit here!

Let's all take a collective deep breath and move forward in a positive many.

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Jeez! Why the drama? :no:

NO Dramas PLEASE - we had enough of them lately, lets be a bit more relaxed now. :biggrin::
Especially after LANE left BAJA alone. :yes:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:11 AM

I whole-heartedly agree with Dennis. All this back an forth off-the-wall BS reminds me of exchanges with my teenage daughter. We both survived, thank goodness. Have checked some profiles, they're not in the teenage daughter category. Maybe some of the posters are over-stressed in the aftermath of the the storm? That's understandable.:no::O:?:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:17 AM

sharks are you not in touch with bruce?? emails? phone?? if so
i think that you have a duty to the other nomads to report how bruce and his little girl is doing dont you??

i too was a little disturbed by the new posts that seemed untimly but took the live and let live approch

jerry and judi
BAJAmerican
Junior Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:20 AM

VERY interesting thread-

As a newbie to this medium, based on the urgency of the moment, my joining & subsequent views and posts have been specific to GETTING hard info from the forum community to apply it to personal "survival". Then, distributing info from other sources that had not yet been posted that I felt were "worthy" of viewing.

As the situation evolved, it was intersting to see multiple dynamics in play. "seniors" using it as a form of communication among parties known to each other personally or cybernetically, as if a "telephone party line" - mainly due to the absence of alternative info sources. Nomad was IT, as someone said, for a few days.

It was like eyewitness news, but no intermediating reporters on scene (can be good or bad - no interpretation, but also no filtering).

It also served as the connector between donors and institutions. Except that there are/were no institutions known to most viewers that we have EXPECTATIONS of to be here (REd Cross, EMS, FEMA, etc.) Remember those monthly radio /TV ads years ago? THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, YOU WOULD BE TOLD WHAT STATION TO LISTEN TO. I kept expecting something like that & kept looking.

However, the perception in the Mexican community was markedly different than the posts here, in that the Army response, TelMex Foundation response, BCS emergency coordination, etc. was actually quite good.

Somewhere, someone posted that they compared it favorably to Katrina.

The duality of the medium I think was perceived differently, depending on why YOU were online. To chat & commiserate. To act as conduit of info & aid, in the perceived absence of anything being done. Or being shown in the mainstream media.

I sent early video to many TV stations throughout CA to try and trigger additional awareness & relief response from mainstream sources. To my knowledge the only media story was that Cabo vactioners were spared inconvenience (but that is because that is where their reporters were sent). Cause & effect & perception (& then reaction) of each this week were often difficult to interpret.

The subsequent question that arises is: Should Nomad be a primary means of disseminating info in such a crisis? CAN it be? (Is it capable to do so?) Should there perhaps be a designated format within it (or Baja Quest or others. Can the Mexican / American perception of events be coordinated better?

What are participants' expectations of this medium now, vs before?

We have technology. How do we use it to feel safer, more connected, more communicative? In normal times and during the next crisis.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:21 AM

CYPRESS: THATS what I wanted to express in my above post too.:yes: The Adrenaline flush wears off slowly.:yes:

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:43 AM
Um, Sharks?

Take it easy there, man. Speaking for myself (I try to stick with that as much as possible, so I know what I'm talking about), it is possible to care about the important stuff -- and show it -- and still engage in discussions about matters that may seem comparatively mundane.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:45 AM
Chastising over a post's subject or timing

Personally, I think it's a poor use of the board to chastise people about the posts they choose to respond to (or NOT respond to). Is the board supposed to come to a halt because someone is in the middle of a personal crisis?

Bruce's situation is a good example. I was chastised for continuing to discuss the the isssue of rebuilding along the rio (it was decided that my post was "BS" for even posting it). At the time, I had no idea about Bruce's situation; it was on another board. Upon searching around, I found that the person who deemed my post "BS" was inserting himself into several discussions, begging for them to cease and desist, and assist Bruce.

HELLO!......last time I checked this was a DISCUSSION BOARD!

Revelation #2......most of us are in the States and don't have the means to assist. Does this mean we need to stop posting until such time as another member deems it acceptable to do so?

Hey, I'm not thin-skinned. The chastisement just rolled off me. The far greater shame was the potential for limiting future discussion on the boards. That seems completely counterproductive to the reason for a discussion board.

As to what interests me in posts.......I go for my own interests. I dont use the "Today's Post' feature; too much to wade through that doesn't interest me. I go to my area of interest and choose the subject of interest.

There are many boards here I have never been on.......
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:01 AM

Farasha is right! We need to take a few deep breaths and get out of this being offended/attack mode. Post what you want, shouldn't be a problem. Ignore what you're not interested in. :yes:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:17 AM
He's a busy guy Jerr

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
sharks are you not in touch with bruce?? emails? phone?? if so
i think that you have a duty to the other nomads to report how bruce and his little girl is doing dont you??

i too was a little disturbed by the new posts that seemed untimly but took the live and let live approch

Jerry, I think Bruce had to wade thru a mass of posts, notes and inquiries from people concerned. Kinda overwelming I would think. I did my part to help Bruce get going but there was no reason to post that here.

We speak to each other when necessary. We talk about important stuff. I spoke with him shortly before he took off and offered to assist him any way I could.
As far as posting when, where or what he's doing. I'll let him do that, it's his (not-so)personal ordeal. He knows damn well if he needs help he's got it. I was happy to see so many were concerned and willing to help him. It was a true testament to all who cares.
If Bruce wants me to provide this forum with his present situation I will do so. Right now I know as much as the rest here. We'll say a collective prayer(regardless of your religion) for the health of his daughter. Yes, I am concerned but Bruce is a real smart guy. Jest caint spel!;D

Gotta go make sauce now...

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Sharks. Keep us posted.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 02:50 PM
Why this sudden need......

....to deem posts more "worthy" than others?

What is "worthy" to one, may have little value to another. So what?

I'd rather sort through tons of posts than be missing info because someone internally questioned its worthiness in advance. I'd rather be subjective about a post AFTER it has been posted.

Post away, everyone..........read the ones you want, ignore the ones you have no interest in.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 03:09 PM

I agree with Hook. "Worthy", the word alone, has such a heavy moral connotation. I used to hear the word in Catholic school all the time.

Now, if you want to get peoples attention with a post, label it worthless and every person here will read it.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 04:01 PM

I have been e-mailing and talking on the phone with Bruce right up until he left. No one is more concerned about his daughter than I'am, and Bruce knows to give either Corky or myself a heads up when he can. I know the person he was susposed to meet in Ensanada this morning, said he had not yet heard from Bruce, and was worried. Natalie can probably give you more info than I can. She'll probably kill me for mentioning her name here.

As far as how effective this board is or was concerning the disastor, it turns out that for whatever reason it was the only means of communiation that was available. I think it and everyone concerned did a wonderful job. I think we should as a group be grateful for the people who reached out and helped in any way they could, and not worry about people who either didn't know or didn't care about what was going on.

As for as seniors using it as their own personal means of communication. Your probably right. The truth is we all, who have been here awhile, know each other personally or thru this board. I have shed tears over people who I never personally met that died. People I cared about only because of this board. I won't apologize for that. It doesn't mean that new people aren't welcome. Quite the contrary. The purpose is to get people who love baja and its people involved. There are some wonderful people out there, and trust me, when you need them, they'll be there for you too.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 05:21 PM

And sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut and stay out of the way.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:44 PM

Larry, I think its just a bad night. I'm going to go have a cervesa and try again tommorow. Sweet dreams to ya all.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
....to deem posts more "worthy" than others?

What is "worthy" to one, may have little value to another. So what?

I'd rather sort through tons of posts than be missing info because someone internally questioned its worthiness in advance. I'd rather be subjective about a post AFTER it has been posted.

Post away, everyone..........read the ones you want, ignore the ones you have no interest in.

"Worthy" being subjective in meaning, works in this context:

"What do you find a worthy post to view?"

We obviously have entirely different priorities, or maybe not:light:

Remember, I said "view" that simply means "palm trees" are more "worthy" of a "view" to you than, say.......

"Where can I donate"

If someone takes that personal it's probably because it is.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:58 PM

VIEWS

28281 views for: mulege - just got this
7958 views for :The List
7729 views for :Storm Lane
3258 views for : I need NOMAD Help
2032 views for : testing out new.Girlsfriend in.....BAJA

Tells me that the vast majority does care and the priorities of all Nomads are clear. :bounce:
This are all post's ABOUT BAJA/ PEOPLE/ CARE (yes also the LIST and the new Girlfriend issue.....it's like in a Family,all matters and certainly a new LOVE.)
And I thank you Sharksbaja for getting the attention to that fact!!!
Otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time, to look this up.
BTW your post comes right on 5th Place!!! well done!:biggrin:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-19-2006 at 12:14 AM
Oh the irony!

It is ironic a thread like this could receive as much.

I guess that answers my big question, thanks.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.