Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Cielito Lindo
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by osoflojo
Al, the Pemex in Vizcaino is good but almost always crowded. The new ones in GN by the aguila or Jesus Maria may be options if wait time is an issue.

Thanks osoflojo...Wait time is less of an issue then Pump accuracy. At 70 to 90 of fuel at a time could hurt a lot.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
OK David K,

You seem to have pictures of evey thing Baja-how about Baja Cactus?

Tell us
Show us.... OK

PRICE?
HOTEL? >>> 300 pesos single bed, 350 two beds
RV? >>> Yes, secure parking, security cameras, night man (Manuel) makes rounds...

If you mean an RV park with hook ups? Yes, a mile down the highway at Sinahi Motel/RV Park. Hook and Bob H were there last year.

ROOMS? >> Reserve one of the new rooms... If you want to sleep in, get an upstairs room. The truck jake brake noise has been almost wiped out by the new speed bumps causing them to slow down before reaching the gas station.

motel@bajacactus.com to reserve...

NUMBER?
>> 24 new, large rooms and a few of the original 'commercial' rooms still available. More coming in the next few years!

FACILITES? >> Pressure boosted hot showers, some are big enough for a small party! Free Satellite TV, 6 English channels. Satellite Internet FREE in each room or use wireless, free. Heating and Air conditioning now in all new rooms. Phones in each room that you can call anywhere in the world from!

OVERNIGHT CAMPING <See above (Sinahi RV Park)>
HOOK UPS?
FACILITIES
SHOWERS?
FLUSHERS?

DINNING? >> Many restaurants and taco stands in El Rosario... lobster when in season. Mama Espinoza's is NEXT DOOR, and Tacos el Poblano is around the sharp corner, on the right. Drive to the far end of town for good food at Ed Lusk's place called Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast & Restaurant (Starbucks logo on building). Hugo's Tacos Mision (and 'art gallery') has awesome stuffed baked patatoes and other food.

DISCOUNTS? >> Discover Baja Travel Club members... but at $30 for such a room, do you need a discount?

Inquiring Bajaphiles want to know!

It would be acceptable for my wife and I to drive the extra 28 miles so long as it wasn't in the dark and a room/ parking spot could be assured and it was a step up from Papellon and a gaint step (leap) from CL.
(No way Jose will we stay at the Sinai!- not even a consideration)

The Sinahi Motel is/ was a dump... NEW owner is 'Primo' who owns the restaurant in front called La Bocana Beach Restaurant... Says he will improve the motel and RV park. Mama Espinoza's motel 'Las Cabañas' is also not anything to write home about!

David K...have at it!

DM

Do keep in mind that the owner is here on Baja Nomad... his handle is 'BajaCactus'... He is on Nomad to improve his business to meet the needs of the Baja traveler... You couldn't ask for a more gracious, helpful person.

You are invited to attend the Viva Baja Cactus on Nov. 4th... meet this man who works so hard to have a A+ run motel.

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by David K]

705 075.jpg - 46kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:31 PM

Baja Cactus Motel

805 032.jpg - 40kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:31 PM

Shower... there's a seating bench inside to the lft you can't see. Shampoo and soap provided... hand lotion, Kleenex, bottled water as well...

805 033.jpg - 43kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:34 PM

Beds have custom made (in San Diego) king size luxury mattresses...

805 034.jpg - 35kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:37 PM

Two rooms have an up ladder loft with twin beds (in addition to the pair of king size beds) for big families... ask Doug Means how they work out!

805 037.jpg - 36kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:41 PM

The older (before Antonio took over) rooms, on the right... New rooms on the left and behind... Eventually, the old rooms will be removed as Baja Cactus expands... Mini market, laundromat, doctor staffed clinic are in the near future to serve the traveling Baja visitors.

805 039.jpg - 46kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:50 PM

El Rosario area has so much to offer... Go to my web sites and see for yourselves It isn't just for a quick stop... it is a destination. Baja Angel and I like it so much, we want to be there all the time... We love four wheeling, exploring, beaches, great food, fossil hunting, fishing, photograhing the desert... all things El Rosario has to offer!

Capt. Mike, anytime you want to land at Diamante del Mar, I can connect you with the people to okay that. Flying Sams use it...

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:51 PM

Martyman...........frankly there is a lot of merit in what you say! CL is a tired dump and i wouldn't go there now 'cause the new strip and development of Larry's is close by the old mill. google Lorenzo, i forgot his website, oh- wait, its campolorenzo.com i theeeeeenk.

but i kill to go to PSFO and it is as primitive as you can get!

when Dave and Juanita ran CL it was more fun tho.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 06:18 PM

What, no CL defenders? A few years ago I was practically skinned alive for calling it Cielito Feo. Friends of the former owners came out of the woodwork in their defense, berating me for a negative review and touting their crab legs and margaritas and what wonderful people they were (although no one said much about the rooms). I never met the former owners but I'll concede that they may be very nice people. I wish I could still eat crab, loved it when I was younger but sadly I'm allergic now so I can't comment. I've heard the margs described as "killer" by some, perhaps in reference to strength and size, but low in brand quality by others. Again, I'll concede because although I'm a gringo, I tend to adopt the Mexican Male's preference for straight tequila and relegation of margaritas to women and well... Also, I remember conceding that the camping fee ($5 back then) seemed quite reasonable. But, as I said then and see no contradiction now, the rooms were Skid Row Flophouse quality at a Holiday Inn price. Musty, grungy and furnished with pieces rejected by Goodwill Industries. This is not due to a change in ownership, the long slide into dilapidation began long ago. I can only guess that no one had the capital to make improvements. I've slept on sidewalks and grew up with outhouses. I'm no snob, and I could have just made do at $20, but $45 was a rip then and apparently a rip now. It's really a pity that no one has stepped in and invested what it would take to make pleasant accomodations. It is a good location if you like a Pismo like beach, clams, cool fog etc.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 10-11-2006 at 08:43 PM
I would appreciate it if you would spread this around.

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
CL is a tired dump and i wouldn't go there

I have a spot next to CL. The last couple of times I've been there it's been real quiet and I'm hoping it stays that way. ;D

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Two rooms have an up ladder loft with twin beds (in addition to the pair of king size beds) for big families... ask Doug Means how they work out!
Very, VERY well.

El Rosario used to be a stop for gas for me and onward - one way or the other.

I have an overdue trip report from a Labor Day trip. I didn't want to post anything around the Mulege disaster - and haven't gotten back around to it.

We ventured out to Punta Baja one day, and up to Cielito Lindo another for some crab. It is only about 28 miles or so as previously noted.

I found it to be a great getaway south of Ensenada for an extended weekend.

And the coast along here at places is outstanding.

Oh... look for the trip report... new lobster restaurant along the coast is set to open.... and I don't know how they'll make it... but you'll want to go, if only for the view.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 09:09 PM

If you have to stay in San Quintin the Old Mill is just fine, reasonably priced (400 pesos?) and Jardines restaurant nearby is good. Baja Cactus is a better motel if you can drive the extra miles. Mama Espinosa's is good.
Cielito Lindo is pretty awful. We've stayed there several times, and I just can't make myself like it-- the rooms are gross. The cracked crab dinner there is OK, and if you end up there on rodeo weekend there the norteno dancing in the bar is truly amazing:tumble:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

lol.gif posted on 10-12-2006 at 04:13 AM
well hell Dave, if i'da known you had a lot

there i'd stopped by. What happened to the pista that we discussed U2U? hope it's on wherever.:bounce:

july 4th weekend i tried the made up by locals "approach" to El Socorrito but waived myself off when i lost viz in the haze on about a one mile final:?:, we were at 300' and as i hit a thick cloud bank we decided to head north where i could see a better hole - and my esposa was about to kill me:mad:, if i didn't kill us 1st, for such running of the scud:no:......,my buddy in his 210 had flown the same "approach" just 5 minutes earlier and got in ok, but he used to have a home there and knew the area intimately - anyway we headed to CL and it was clear so i landed and we taxied over to the bar and had a few (she vodka, me pepsi!) :biggrin:with Dave who stopped by after recognizing my plane and voice on the radio.

less than an hour later we went on over to El Socorrito.

great place that is.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 03:29 PM

Posted in the bar was story, maybe a newspaper article of how Juanita bought the whole property from someone (don't know who, whole point of this) and how Cielito Lindo was built as a hideaway for movie stars back in the 40's. Back then the paved road ended in Colonet, thus making it difficult for the media to get through to pester the Hollywood Elite.

Anyone else read that paper on the right side of the bar?

Does Juanita still have it?

Does anyone have any history on CL?

Haven't been there in a long time...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 04:24 PM

Seems to be a vested interest is doing a HATCHET job on the Cielito Lindo.:no::no::no::moon:

[Edited on 10-12-2006 by bancoduo]
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 06:54 PM

I like Celito Lindo.

Yeah, it is kind of a dump, nowhere near as nice as Baja Cactus. But I don't have to drive to Baja for a nice motel; there may be one or two in Idaho.:biggrin:

There is a wonderful stretch of beach at CL, one that I still have to fish for the big surf perch there. It's a nice, quiet place in contrast with the territory around the highway there.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 07:03 PM

To be clear about this, I might yet consider camping there again in my own rig. I just will not rent a room until someone invests the capital to make the accomodations acceptable.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 07:09 PM

Sounds like a happening place..Ran by real party-ers. May not stay or eat there(if the rooms are a mess I can only imagine what the kitchen is like.) Sometime you just need a place to party-hearty.:light::cool:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 08:28 PM
Baja Cactus is the place...

...if you want, new, clean, comfortable rooms, been there done that several times....it's the greatest!

However, my only problem has been with the lighting in those dark rooms...BEWARE, if you check into your room after dark your 1st time, take a flashlight with you, the decor is so dark, and the lighting minimal, that you might miss the step-down into the room from the entry!

Sorry, Antonio, that design with the entry that steps DOWN with the dark tile floors of the same color, could be cause for a nasty fall - I almost busted my butt the 2nd time we visited, in the dark, I forgot about the step down, and landed on my back-side! Maybe I'm the only one, but please careful out there...

The 'Cactus' is still the best around!

...Hola from Santa Rosa, New Mexico...on our Road-Trip East!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.