Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 09:22 PM

Great stop over will be there Oct 22 agaion way to mulege:rolleyes::rolleyes:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 04:18 AM

Warrior - 2 sources for great bios on CL and Juanita -

the travel show that Ian did which repeats on cable and satellite, i think its the Globe Trekker series.

and the "Baja By Air" that the video producer for the King Schools, Rick Roessler did and sold.

both have interviews with her and historiical snippets. Rick's is best.

You can reach him via Jack at the BBP site.

i have them all.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 06:57 AM

Thanks Capt.

I'll research those

BW

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Posted in the bar was story, maybe a newspaper article of how Juanita bought the whole property from someone (don't know who, whole point of this) and how Cielito Lindo was built as a hideaway for movie stars back in the 40's. Back then the paved road ended in Colonet, thus making it difficult for the media to get through to pester the Hollywood Elite.

Anyone else read that paper on the right side of the bar?

Does Juanita still have it?

Does anyone have any history on CL?

Haven't been there in a long time...

Juanita and Dave ('Porky Pig' on Nomad) sold the motel/bar/restaurant in 2001 to retire from that business, but own the surrounding land of Rancho Cielito Lindo. They built Gypsy's/ Wet Buzzard then handed operations over to Laura.

Cielito Lindo is not the place of the 40's... The Hamilton Ranch near Mision Santo Domingo (behind Colonia Guerrero) was the place movie stars went to in the old days... then the Santa Maria Sky Ranch was built east of where the La Pinta Hotel is.

Cielito Lindo was Rancho la Maņana in the 60's... the motel Cielito Lindo came after that... I first saw it in 1974.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 09:14 AM

Thanks David,

I got my wires crossed I guess. Thanks again for the info!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 09:24 AM

Go to the bar for s-its n' grins and /or get some dinner (never goten sick), sleep in your vechicle or tent but the rooms just ain't worth it.
Fang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 10:11 AM

Stay at the Old Mill Hotel. Very clean, good prices & Jim & Nancy keep it in tip top shape.

NEVER eat at the Cannery Restaurant next door to the Old Mill, it is an overpriced hole!

The Old Mill Hotel & Cannery Rest. are in no way connected. Each is a completly different owership & operation. They just happen to be next door to each other.

Good food can be had at Don Eddies Rest. on the other side of the old mill. Just a few steps away from the old mill. You can also drive a short distance to Jardin's Rest. that also has great food.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 05:26 PM

Great to see you here Fang!

Jardines IS a good restaurant! See the review posted elsewhere here on Nomad...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 01:09 PM

Everyone always has a lot to say when Cielito Lindo comes up. And I have to chime in too. First visit was at a BBBB party in 2001 ( right before it was sold I beleive) and we liked it alot. Although the rooms were not that great for the $. The atmosphere was great though and always enjoyed those margies. When we stayed there over New Years, I think it was 2004/05, the rooms were so nasty with mold that I was sure I would be ill, and if it wasn't for the fact we had drove from BOLA that day, I would have voted to high tail it home. San Quintin is a wonderful spot to visit, and we have stayed at the Old Mill and Don Eddies (twice) since. I would recommend either. And of course the food at Jardines...wonderful! We will have to try BajaCactus sometime, we've heard so much about it!
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:30 AM
Forget CL

Gene and Laura arranged for us to stay free there during the last Baja Bash held @ the Buzzard in 2004. We were over charged. We take a large group to the Old Mill from the South Campos each year and Nancy is the perfect hostess, read extremely tolerant. The rooms in the newer building are large and very comfortable.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
David K...
"El Rosario area has so much to offer... Go to my web sites and see for yourselves It isn't just for a quick stop... it is a destination ... We love four wheeling, exploring, beaches, great food, fossil hunting, fishing, photograhing the desert... all things El Rosario has to offer!..."

David,
I agree! 100%--been there - done that .

But there is more than the desert enviroment--there is ---Underwater!

My group of SoCal diving associates and I discovered that the side wheeler/steam powered "Sacramento" struck and sunk on the Sacramento reef on its way back from the gold fields of California in the late 1800s. Many lives were lost as was most of the gold the passengers were carring.

In the very late 1950s and very early 1960s our OC diving group made a number of trips to E/R and on to Punta Baja in 4X4 WW11, surplus Dodge ambulances, the choice of our group, to dive the Sacramento via boats from the beach.

It was VERY very rough and always cold--and no gold was ever discovered on these trips. Why? the passenger were carring Gold Dust!

About 1961-2 Bob Ruetherford promoted a dive boat trip on the "Double Eagle" out of Newport Beach, to the Sacramento, to make an extensive search for treasure. Nothing of value was found except for one huge brass hatch cover and some very large lobsters .

My last Punta Baja trip was a 5 day trip during Thanksgiving in 1963 (?.) I have never been so cold in my life as I was during this trip! So I generally zoom past ER, but on the next trip will stop at Baja Cactus for a intro-visit .

Thanks for the very informative reply and great pictures. I and all on this board appreciate your expertise and efforts which are many..

SDM
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Quote:
David K...
"El Rosario area has so much to offer... Go to my web sites and see for yourselves It isn't just for a quick stop... it is a destination ... We love four wheeling, exploring, beaches, great food, fossil hunting, fishing, photograhing the desert... all things El Rosario has to offer!..."

David,
I agree! 100%--been there - done that .

But there is more than the desert enviroment--there is ---Underwater!

My group of SoCal diving associates and I discovered that the side wheeler/steam powered "Sacramento" struck and sunk on the Sacramento reef on its way back from the gold fields of California in the late 1800s. Many lives were lost as was most of the gold the passengers were carring.

In the very late 1950s and very early 1960s our OC diving group made a number of trips to E/R and on to Punta Baja in 4X4 WW11, surplus Dodge ambulances, the choice of our group, to dive the Sacramento via boats from the beach.

It was VERY very rough and always cold--and no gold was ever discovered on these trips. Why? the passenger were carring Gold Dust!

About 1961-2 Bob Ruetherford promoted a dive boat trip on the "Double Eagle" out of Newport Beach, to the Sacramento, to make an extensive search for treasure. Nothing of value was found except for one huge brass hatch cover and some very large lobsters .

My last Punta Baja trip was a 5 day trip during Thanksgiving in 1963 (?.) I have never been so cold in my life as I was during this trip! So I generally zoom past ER, but on the next trip will stop at Baja Cactus for a intro-visit .

Thanks for the very informative reply and great pictures. I and all on this board appreciate your expertise and efforts which are many..

SDM

The pleasure is mine Dean... thank you for joining Baja Nomad and sharing your great personal history and exploration on the peninsula!

I would like to meet you... if it is possible... to exchange memories of the magic peninsula and how it has touched the lives of so many in such a profound way!

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 11:49 AM

David K,

It would be my honor and pleasure to meet you and the bride. It is always entertaining and certainly educational to have multigenerational conversations. I know it would certainly be for me; you have documented via pictures, GPS positioning and darn good stories on the forum.

As contrasted to my activies; we didn't take pictures, had a compass, and I still have a few good stories in me. When we frist began in Baja we were sort of like ole Cris Columbus, when we departed we didn't know where we were going, when we arrived we didn know where we were, and when we returned we didn't know where we had been. But it was always an high adventure.

dm
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
David K,

It would be my honor and pleasure to meet you and the bride. It is always entertaining and certainly educational to have multigenerational conversations. I know it would certainly be for me; you have documented via pictures, GPS positioning and darn good stories on the forum.

As contrasted to my activies; we didn't take pictures, had a compass, and I still have a few good stories in me. When we frist began in Baja we were sort of like ole Cris Columbus, when we departed we didn't know where we were going, when we arrived we didn know where we were, and when we returned we didn't know where we had been. But it was always an high adventure.

dm

If you are able to join us on Nov. 4th, it would be a treat for everyone... People make Baja special because we all have different aspects of what makes Baja so special to us.
Whenever we meet, it will be a good day sir!

skydiveblake

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 10:31 PM

Actually, the rooms are usually quite clean, but the lack of hot water just sucks.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 10:58 AM

The Baja Cactus Motel is the place to stay in El Rosario!

I stayed there on my way to Mulege and again on my return trip last week. You saw David's photos; the place is beautiful. The staff is first rate and very helpful.

I had the misfortune of getting food poisoning from eating crab burritos at Mama Espinosa's. (I am positive as to the source. The word is that I am not the only recent case.) The staff of The Baja Cactus were very concerned. The owner, Antonio also happened to be there. The staff offered to take me to the hospital (actually La Clinica), but I decided to tough it out in my room. (A wonderful place to rough it). The staff told Antonio of my plight and he came to see me. He didn't even know that I was a Nomad until I told him. Antonio drove me to get some sports drinks with electrolytes and some Lomotil. He also invited me to wake him up anytime during the night if I needed anything. I had to extend my stay there for two days. I spent the whole time sleeping, and I even passed out on the second day. I remember looking up and seeing the air conditioner. I said to myself, "I don't remember the air conditioner being in the bathroom." Actually, it wasn't....it was in the main room where the bed is. I thought I was still around the toilet, which by that time had become an old friend. But this is way-y-y too much information. The main point is, The Baja Cactus is a place of caring people in time of need.

I finally made it to San Diego where my brother lives. Once there I slept another five hours. His wife made chicken broth with noodles for me for the next two days. I am now home in Nevada City and am fully recovered.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 12:15 PM

Antonio is THE man...

Baja Cactus is THE place...

El Rosario has much more meaning with Antonio running the family motel and Pemex station. There are many more places to eat than at Mama Espinoza's if toneart's report scares any of you! In fact, we rarely eat there...

I want you all to know that it will be as much fun for him as it will be for you who join us on Nov. 4th for the VIVA BAJA CACTUS fiesta... Do join us!

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 12:54 AM
Gypsy's Wet Buzzard

Yup, Laura still makes the Best Damn $1 Burrito in All of Baja AND......
Sunsets like this are FREE!!

[Edited on 10-22-2006 by BajaNomad]

Gypsies.jpg - 36kB
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 08:38 AM

Steve,

Beautiful photo!

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.