Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: friends missing in plane returning from baja
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:52 PM

Could some of you Nomads in Santa Rosalia, San Bruno, and San Lucas ask some fisherman if they herd anything strange.

and also put it out on the uhf in spanish.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:54 PM

Bruce, you meant VHF, but they will get the message.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
San Bruno...San Lucas ...Sta. Rosalia areas. A word on the VHF radio out there might help to get notice to the fisherfolk...
channel 72 over there?..or maybe 22?

Typically 72 in that area.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 03:03 PM

What do they think, that we are in the dark ages in San Lucas Cove, I knew about the situation within 15 minutes of Mike's post and have put the word out.
Another plane that took off at the same time made it but reported the worst flying conditions of his entire career. That and the fact that the person missing was flying a "V-tailed Doctor Killer" and you have the possibility of a real problem.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
What do they think, that we are in the dark ages in San Lucas Cove, I knew about the situation within 15 minutes of Mike's post and have put the word out.
Another plane that took off at the same time made it but reported the worst flying conditions of his entire career. That and the fact that the person missing was flying a "V-tailed Doctor Killer" and you have the possibility of a real problem.

thanks Pescador keep putting it out their and in Spanish if you can. and everyone else also

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
Bruce, you meant VHF, but they will get the message.

you are right.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 04:52 PM

the info is at the BBP site, thx Pescador too.

left on the 23rd, came back, waited 2 hours and went out again. in the morning. was talking to 2 other flyers ahead north and might have attempted some IMC in a climb to get between layers but didn't call back. fear is he lost spatial control and might have augered in. the thing with a v tail is once in an incipient stall you spin immediately and getting it out of rotation is tough if you're not quick. lots of "Dr.s" did it because even if they could buy one, if they weren't regularly proficient that plane would get a head of you real quick. they're fast but dangerous if you aren't on top of them. so Beech finally quit building them after too many product liability suits. fact is its a great plane otherwise.

based on where he was, between chivato and santa rosalia, maybe north a ways more, it might have gone in the drink.

several BBPers are on an aerial search today.

i will be south next weekend 10-12 on a sams mission and am going to look in the mountains from BOLA to Serenidad.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 05:25 PM

thanks for the update Mike I hope some one can get to that area before the 10th. also I hope all the fisherman are looking for anything floating in the water and on the beaches.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
then they should move it to the other thread and tell people what they are doing and why.
Bruce, since there was a link to the original thread in a later thread that I closed, I didn't think an explanation would be necessary.

Sorry if that was not the case.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 01:25 AM

What were the weather conditions like. I heard there was a strong Norther around that time. Santa Anas were in SoCal several days before then.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 04:41 AM

it was really crappy, rain, thunder, lightning across much of the area from mulege to san felipe from pireps on the BBP site. one guy enroute same time from hermosillo to calexico said everything west of him from BOLA north was very dark. made no sense to attack it unless you were IFR, current on guages and in an AC that was capable - and still no real reason to HAVE to fly! waiting it out only made sense. "get-home-itis" takes another one down i guess.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 11:01 AM

Mike do you know if BBP is flying serch down this far yet?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 11:59 AM

Thursday, November 2nd

Update

Four aiplanes were out searching yesterday and they were out flying again early this morning and will be searching again today. The ELT that was reported to San Felipe was to an aircraft in Bay of Los Angeles that had tripped it´s ELT. We have nothing new to report on the missing aircraft at the moment.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 12:10 PM
Flying in Bad Weather

Back when I was a youngster first taking Flying Lessons in the 60s, there was a well-known proverb regarding General Aviation which stated: "If you've got time to spare, go by air".

During the time period when I flew as a private pilot (1960s-1980s), although there were a number of occasions when I flew in less than perfect conditions, I never hesitated to remain on the ground when conditions were such that I felt they could go beyond my capability to make it safely to my destination.

It is unfortunate and sad, but common, for Private pilots (and sometimes professionals) to either under-estimate the severity of the weather conditions or over-estimate their capabilities to handle those conditions.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 12:21 PM

Mike, I was out fishing that day, or should I say I was attempting to fish since we had friends from Alaska. It was impossible as well as dangerous to be on the water that day. We tried three times to get out of the cove. There was severe lightning, strong wind gusts, heavy virga, and torrential rains at times. I hate to say anything negative here but it was a day that I would have sat on the ground and not flown but it was also one of those sucker days when you thought you might get a break and go for it. We tried it with the boat and came back in three times.
We were talking to Don Johnson and he talked to one of the pilots who made the flight that day and he reported that it was the worst flight he had ever experienced.
San Marcos Mike was on the north side of San Marcos Island for a little while that morning and Ed Hogan from San Bruno was on his way to Tortuga but both turned back due to weather, but neither report seeing or hearing anything that day.
Unless something floats up or some other clue pops up it sure looks like a deep water landing. I remember the plane that was ditched in front of Tembabiche and except for the door nothing ever floated up on that plane.
We did see and hear a lot of planes yesterday and today in front of San Lucas Cove from Chivato to Santa Rosalia.
Really sad:no:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 04:10 PM

yes Jim, sad but true comment. it is valuable input.

[Edited on 11-3-2006 by capt. mike]

Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 09:47 PM

Okay, I can't just sit here and read this any longer. I gotta do something!

I gave a sit rep to Ralph XE2/N6MNO at Rancho Santa Ines this morning when I spoke to him on 40 meters after I had completed my net control duties on the Baja Maritime Net. He will pass the info on to anybody who flies/drives thru Rancho Santa Ines and may be going thru the area presumed as a flight path.

Don't ask me why I didn't I think to tell everybody on the Baja Maritime Net. I don't have an answer for that but I do have an offer of something I can do to help.

I will put out a QST tomorrow morning (and Saturday and Sunday) on the Baja Maritime Net so that everybody in Baja who checks into the net will be aware of the situation. I know that Ronnie, XE2/N7KVJ is already south of the origination point of this flight (he & Renee are south of Loreto and going further south mañana) and Janice XE2/KG6RSL and Jay XE2/KG6RSM are south of Bay of LA and may be in the Isla San Marcos area if my memory serves me correct. There may be other boaters/travelers who are listening to the Net that don't have the license to transmit on 40m so a QST right before (and maybe AFTER) the weather would be a good idea. (fyi, Don, N6HG, gives a FABULOUS weather report at 0815 Pacific time and we're currently on 7.259mHz due to foreign broadcast on 7260mHz)

Let's all PRAY that this is resolved soon.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-2-2006 at 10:46 PM
Close to home

I have closely followed this because I too am a pilot, and my daughter flies for the airlines,
but, not until I read today's local paper did I realize that they live right next to us in Escalon.
Local people.
Does not change the level of tragedy, just brings it even closer to home.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 04:10 AM

Elana!! mil gracias for your help passing the word. i am going to pass it on to the Tostes (their family).

i sent WB an email yesterday too. we'll talk later.

a friend in El Cahon who got hit good on the mulege flood needs a 34 footer pulled down and wants to hire someone. Thought Bill might want to do it and i could fly him home as part of the deal.

[Edited on 11-3-2006 by capt. mike]

Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 10:01 AM

Propagation was great this morning and I put out the QST on both the Baja Maritime Net and the Wheels 'N' Keels net (precedes the Baja Net each morning & also meets each evening for c-cktail hour shenanigans 5pm Pacific). Ronnie XE2/N7KVJ & Renee are already down to La Paz but confirmed that they heard the QST 100%. Janice XE2/KG6RSL didn't check in this morning so I'm still not 100% certain about her whereabouts...I'm pretty sure she & Jay are in the Isla San Marcos area (for all I know they coulda been just listening while busy in the galley). Patrick, XF1GSD, at Pto Lopez Mateos heard it and will disseminate the info from there. Ralph XE2/N6MNO said that he told Terrible Herbst air support crew as they paused at Rancho Santa Ines yesterday and will continue to mention it to travelers (air or auto) who are southbound. I'll make the QST again tomorrow & Sunday. In the meantime, we'll keep praying.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.