BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Expat, american, gringo, americano?
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:18 PM

You are in London, Paris, Berlin, or Prague. You are with friends from Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Brazil. Who will be called the American?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
You are in London, Paris, Berlin, or Prague. You are with friends from Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Brazil. Who will be called the American?

good point

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:32 PM

Vgabndo____
You raise a memory of a conversation which I had at the University here in Ensenada.
The group was cordial when the topic came to the name of the U.S.A.

Americans, as we say, are wrong in calling ourselves Americans, as everybody in the Americas has that distinction

United States--- Lots of countrys call themselves the "United States" including Mexico.

What it boiled down to, and the point where the Mexicans lost their cordiality, was that we, Yankee Doodle Americans, dont have a name for our country. We have borrowed bits and pieces of other countrys names to use as our own.
That is what these students and professors think and, I have heard it on the streets as well.

Jeezo ----Are we despised. If not for the graciousness of the culture here, we would all be dead.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:44 PM

I think I would like to be addressed as "Doctor".........I have the hands of a Sturgeon........:lol::lol::lol:
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:45 PM

The United States of Mexico = Mexicans

The United States of America = Americans

It's not rocket science.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:49 PM

Yeah .... Good luck trying to tell a Mexican that Mexico isn't in the Americas.

Thats ok--- the god of nightly thunder will explain it to you
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:55 PM

I think you missed my point, but sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. My stint with fellow Mexican students was somewhat different, I guess. It's what makes a horse race...not being all the same.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:57 PM

BG ----
And "The breasted heart of Florence Nightengale" which makes you an all-around guy... um.. uh.. gal .....I dont know.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:02 PM

"Si no mi quieres,......."

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:05 PM

thanks JESSE this is a good thread. we need more like this to keep us all thinking. it is funny how some people think one way when they are on the north side of the line and take the opposite stand on the south side.:rolleyes:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:10 PM

Summanus ----

No. I got your point. I got your point so many years ago when I didn't realise that there was more to these international feelings than I could dismiss with with small-talk.
If you seriously want to see why there is a long distance between our countrys, study the Mexican / American War. In the Mexican heart, it never came to an end....probably never will.

Thanks for coming back and forget me .... my feathers are always ruffled.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:17 PM

There is a difference between the name of the continents (North America, South America) and the nationality of the people of the United States of America... From the Americas does not mean one is an American.

People from Chile or Costa Rica might live in 'the Americas', but they are not AMERICAN... They are Chilean or Costa Rican.

People from the United States of America are AMERICANS. That was established before any other country on the American continents was created.

All the other countries on the two continents have names for their citizens (Canada=Canadians, Brazil=Brazillians, etc.).

Anyway, 'United Statians' sounds dumb! So please don't take our nationality of American away from us!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Jesse -
You have to admit, " P-nche Gringo" is well used by Mexicans. That is derogatory.

What do Mexicans accept as a label?
Do Mexicans like being referred to as "Beaners " or " Greasers " or "Frijoleros" or Whatever?

It seems to me that derogatory name calling is fun when it comes from Mexicans but unacceptible when it is used by Norte Americanos.

Why is that, Jesse? It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

Well, i am usually just called a Mexican. Ive never been called a beaner or a greaser in my life so its hard for me to express an opinion. As for what i personally call people that come from the USA. I usually call the ones i am not friends with, Americano or guerito. If your walking around town beer in hand shouting and laughing, then your a gringo. And if your my friend, i will call you by your name.

Amigo seems like a term a salesman loosely uses to try to make friends with you in order to get you to buy something. Gabacho is not not used by many people these days, my dad used to use it a lot, he would have american customers that would come to him and he would say "el juez gabacho" or "el abogado gabacho". Well, this makes me think, what would a guy like JR should be called? hes obviously not a gringo. you cant call him an american because hes too close to the locals. JR sounds too weird. Damn, now this is a hard question to awnser.

Sorry for drifting into something else, suddenly JR and San Bartolo came to mind. But anyways, i think i have found the key to this most often asked question but almost never awnsered.

If your an american living in Mexico, the most desirable wod that should be used to adress you is:

"EL" before your name.

You see, if they call you Joe, your just a Joe. And theres millions of Joes, but not millions of Joes here in Baja, so your like a thing. But if you get a local to say "EL" Joe, then polarities change and the ying goes to yang. Your suddenly THE Joe, or a person who is valuable in my life.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:20 PM

Bruce ---
I agree. This is a good topic, as are so many others here.
But, if I may ask .... Where is the dichotomy of thought?
What is different from one side to the other, as you say?
Im not argueing --- just asking. I highly respect your opinion.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There is a difference between the name of the continents (North America, South America) and the nationality of the people of the United States of America... From the Americas does not mean one is an American.

People from Chile or Costa Rica might live in 'the Americas', but they are not AMERICAN... They are Chilean or Costa Rican.

People from the United States of America are AMERICANS. That was established before any other country on the American continents was created.

All the other countries on the two continents have names for their citizens (Canada=Canadians, Brazil=Brazillians, etc.).

Anyway, 'United Statians' sounds dumb! So please don't take our nationality of American away from us!

Well, the argument is usually that americans kidnapped the word america for themselves. I personally think nobody took it while it was available like a net domain, so you guys took it like a Chinese guy getting the trademark for the Virgin of Guadalupe so now its yours. :lol:

Besides, what other names could you guys pick?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:27 PM

Good thing Jeese, or I will say El Jesse. A sign of respect. You have mine.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:28 PM

Gringo doesn't bother me... I use that term often when describing other Americans to Mexican friends.

Of course the name comes from when American troops were marhing into Mexico 150 years ago or so.

I haven't heard 'beaner' used since high school days!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:29 PM

El David K.;D

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:31 PM

heck most people just call me jerry Russians, germans, English, (allthou their kinda stuff shirts) and even Mexicans and i call myself a gringo in Mexico so i feel if everyone wound benafit if they just jump off the band wagon and just be real people as long as there calling you something in the right tone of voice communacation is open hell in the united states of america in the state or oregon county of lane city of eugene santa clara areai still dont know how to correctly address a Black. negro, afro-american, or a number of names i just say hea Guy or Buddy or Lady

it seem counterproductive to put anyone in a bottle and label it

jerry and judi
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
heck most people just call me jerry Russians, germans, English, (allthou their kinda stuff shirts) and even Mexicans and i call myself a gringo in Mexico so i feel if everyone wound benafit if they just jump off the band wagon and just be real people as long as there calling you something in the right tone of voice communacation is open hell in the united states of america in the state or oregon county of lane city of eugene santa clara areai still dont know how to correctly address a Black. negro, afro-american, or a number of names i just say hea Guy or Buddy or Lady

it seem counterproductive to put anyone in a bottle and label it

speaking of bottles:lol:

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.