Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mace or Pepper Spray
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
take the top from the wasp spray aerosol can or one of those engine cleaner cans that shoot nice, straight and far and put it on top of a can oven cleaner.....now there is some nasty caustic stuff to get on your hands, face and eyes. You may have to experiment with several different tops......long story, don't ask

Bajabus,
You may have to experiment with several different bad guys too!:biggrin:

Being serious for a minute....how do you take the top off of one can and put it on another?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:21 PM

Tony, the nozzle.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Being serious for a minute....how do you take the top off of one can and put it on another?

toneart: ONLY on the assumption that when you said "Being serious for a minute" that you sincerely meant it, am I typing this at the risk of embarrassing myself more than you! He's talking the little spray nozzle, not literally the entire top of the can! :yes::lol::lol:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:48 PM

longlegs and Corky,

Thank you for your replies. (Apparently I have to put my lame attempts at humor in one of those spray cans....ffttcheewwwww.)
But yes, I am serious. Does it sound like a dumb question? Whereas I am often mechanically challenged, I still don't see how or why you would interchange the nozzle from one spray can to another unless one is way more powerful than the other. I think wasp spray cans are pretty powerful. If you took off the nozzle, wouldn't you have to also take out the plastic tube that extends down into the can? Also, wasp spray cans are longer than oven cleaner cans. I can see cutting off the top of the can and then pouring the liquid into a heavy duty greasegun type of can that has a screw on cap and squirt nozzle. I am asking these questions at the risk of embarrassment, but please enlighten my addled brain.

[Edited on 11-15-2006 by toneart]
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:59 PM

Go for it SHARKSBAJA.....I don't want to embarrass Toneart further by having a non-mechanically challanged female s'plain it to him! ;D
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:25 PM
Baja Bus

Hate to agree with this guy but all living in Baja should listen to him. It works and it hurts and ain't no law against it.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:35 PM
Practice

Toneart......for safety's sake, please practice this operation with a can of shaving cream or whipped cream.......just pop off the plastic top....it's really easy. The hard part is putting it back on without spraying....When you do it for real, wear complete eye protection. let us know how it goes for you
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 11:55 PM

Sorry,
I just practiced with several cans of beer 'till I got it right.
Each one worked better than the last one.

Oh, by the way, the shaving creme experiment worked but it tasted terrible. :spingrin:
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 12:26 AM

:biggrin: have been lurkin for a while now, thanks for Bbus - good ideas to swap the top of the wasp spray etc.
Will give it a try coming weekend, while my darling is on a trip. Got to kill some time.
But tell you guys as a" non- mechanical skilled female" - a simple HAIRSPRAY does it too!! No need to swap anything, and it's NOT illegal to carry it with you - Or to use it.
And the sticky stuff burns like hell in the eyes, takes your breath away when inhaled, try it yourself!!
And in addition with a lighter, it makes a excellent FIRE gun ( or how you call this weapon in the army that spits fire??).

Has been used and carried around by femals here for many years.
My 2cents on it!:biggrin:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 06:55 AM

Farasha......the secret to the wasp spray or the oven cleaner is the range of the spray.......about 20 feet. Hairspray is only good for in close range. Personally, I'll go for the range....keeping distance between you and a potential attacker is paramount.

I think I will now try changing the tops on Pacifico......:lol::lol::lol:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:33 AM

Engine cleaner - "GUNK" is pretty nasty and shoots a stream pretty far.:fire:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:43 PM

is this legal:

http://www.defensedevices.com/bearpepspray.html

i bought a can of Bear Guard Spray (recommended by Alaska Forest Rangers) before hiking/camping in Alaska backwoods several years back. the day before a forest ranger was mauled by a bear...I didn't find this out until I left the wilderness area. anyway, i still have this can...wonder if airlines would allow it on?

if pepper spray is legal to bring into mexico why would you do the wasp/oven cleaner thing?

ok so i'm lame...what does transferring the nozzle from the wasp can to the oven cleaner can give you? is it that the wasp nozzle sprays further and oven cleaner is more potent?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:59 PM

Think that's what they are talking about. Don't know about pepper spray but the wasp stuff will shot about 20 feet and I wouldn't want any in my face/eyes/nose/mouth.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
is it legal to bring Mace or pepper into Baja??

Mace use to be CN gas but is now illegal in most states because of major side effects. Law enforcement uses CS gas now.

Mace is sold as Mace Pepper spray with a variety of models. Some have a ratio of CS and/or dye that doesn't come off.

Spray is a great defensive weapon for close in contact. Downside is that you need to be accurate to have results. A face shot is essential. It would pay to do some target practice and yes, shake it from time to time. The aerosol lasts a long time but you never know.

On the very down side, spray is NOT effective with someone who is drunk or on drugs. A machete wielding drunk is best dealt with by running away.

After spraying someone, permit or not, it might be advisable to not involve the authorities. But you know that.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:30 PM
"Pepper Spray"

Pepper spray
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pepper spray (also known as OC spray (from "Oleoresin Capsicum"), OC gas, or capsicum spray) is a lachrymatory agent (a chemical compound that irritates the eyes to cause tears, pain, and even temporary blindness) that is used in riot control, crowd control and personal self-defense, including defense against dogs and bears. It is a non-lethal agent that can be deadly in rare cases.

The active ingredient in pepper spray is capsaicin, which is a chemical derived from the fruit of plants in the Capsicum genus, including chiles. Long-term effects of pepper spray have not been effectively researched.

The HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) method is used to measure the amount of capsaicin within pepper sprays. Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) testing is also used to measure the hotness of pepper spray, but this is a subjective test which changes from person to person and does not measure the actual chemical percentage within the product.

Pepper spray typically comes in canisters, which are often small enough to be carried or concealed in a pocket or purse. Pepper spray can also be bought concealed in items such as rings.

Pepper spray is an inflammatory agent, not an irritant like Mace. It causes immediate closing of the eyes and coughing. The length of the effects depend on the strength of the spray but the average full effect lasts around thirty to forty-five minutes, with mitigated effects lasting for hours.

Though there is no way of completely neutralizing pepper spray, its effect can be minimized or stopped. As veteran chili eaters know, capsicum is not soluble in water, and even large volumes of water will have little to no effect. It is, however, soluble in fats and oils, and detergents can be used to wash it off.

Some "triple-action" pepper sprays also contain "tear gas" (CS gas), which can be neutralized with sodium metabisulfite (Campden tablets, used in homebrewing), though it, too, is fat-soluble and could be washed off to a degree with milk, and some contain a UV "blanketing" dye (little can be done against this, but its effects are not nearly as dramatic).

Two important things to remember.......always spray from an upwind position......and after you spray, exit the area immediately.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:22 PM

People..........
My serious point was why interchange nozzles? I would rely on the power of wasp spray, and its toxicity, which I have used on wasps, to be effective in an emergency situation. Or, use a machete, knife, flare, pepper spray or...I don't know....Hydrochloric acid:light::light:

Dennis...thank you for your concern but no, I didn't and wouldn't cut the tops of of pressurized anything. Would you really trust me with a Derringer if you think I would do that?

I am still recovering from my experiment with beer cans. (Yesterday>>>>>>>>>>>>:bounce: Today>>>>>:barf: all in the name or research. Sheesh! I'm going back to bed!

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by toneart]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:27 PM
Nozzles

I think the point was that you get different spray patterns, volumes and possibly range with different nozzles.

By the way, just HOW IS that beer can experiment going???

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by bajaguy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.