Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Weapons refresher
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:00 PM
Weapons refresher

I don't want to state the obvious but maybe this post will help at least a couple people.

On another post, I responded to a Mace pepper spray issue.

I want to state again that pepper spray is an excellent weapon with limitations. First, getting a permit (down South) is not a bad idea and if you are in one place, the local PD will probably issue you one.

Spray is light weight and I like the belt attachment for mine. It's concealed and out of the way. It's important to make sure it's operable and testing from time to time will give you an idea of the distance of the spray -- in case you've forgotten. Shaking up the aerosol is a good idea as well.

Spray is meant to be an up close device. Effective spray can be 6-8' but spraying this stuff on someone's clothes, etc., does no good. The target here is someone's eyes, and face. If I were to use this device, I would be doing it within 3-4 feet distance with my arm outstretched while moving to the side. One long steady stream. If used with effect, you'll have time to run and get away. 10 minutes is what I would give before someone might now be really p*ssed off.

Beyond this, I have a machete which I carry in my car and RV. Everyone should have one. It is at once intimidating and formidable in appearance and potential. If approached by someone with a machete, a knife is useless and I wouldn't count on spray. I've never hit someone with this thing and hope to never do that. But I have it and if I had to banish it menacingly, I'd be OK with that. I was first introduced to the machete in Nam, while walking point in the jungle. After swinging a machete for hours, you get pretty good. My point is to remove it from it's scabard, and swing it around. Get comfortable swinging it and parrying it. (You might want to practice your war face and growl at the same time.) I won't go up against someone with a machete unless I have a machete in my hand. If I don't have one, I'll run.

I have a routine I've practiced with my wife on what to do if we are ever approached by someone with a handgun, and we are unarmed. A handgun trumps everything but another handgun -- and only in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Give the bandido whatever they want -- money, jewelry, etc. But, never, and I mean never, ever get in a vehicle if told to do so by a bandido. I'll take my chances getting shot on the spot than get into a vehicle to be taken somewhere. I won't go into an explanation here. Believe me, the odds are better if you don't do that.

Whatever you choose to have around you, it needs to be available when needed. In other words, a machete is very effective if you are in or around your car/RV, but totally useless if you're a distance away from it.

If personal safety and defense is an issue for you, you need to know what you're doing.

:cool:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:19 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the military taking away from you weapons of this sort at checkpoints? I assume they are legal, but just wondering.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 02:55 PM

All very good advice, Lee. I hadn't considered the "get in the car" scenario but I think I agree with you. Force the confrontation where you are, cause it's probably closer to help than where they want to take you.

I'd also add that many cars nowadays have a "panic" button on the remote that starts the alarm. If you are inside your rig or car, they may flee rather than take the chance of someone investigating the alarm.

toneart, I can recall at least one post where someone had their machete seen at a checkpoint and they didnt even pick it up. They are looking for firearms, explosives and drogas.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 03:15 PM

Aerosal noise blasters and expandable battons are also good options.
I would have a lot easier time hitting someone with the batton, baseball bat or a piece of rebar rather than a machete'. Just me.

But then, with my trusty folding camp shovel, I can be dangerous ! :lol:

bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 03:49 PM
RAD!

This is the raddest post EVER for the following two reasons:

1.) "After swinging a machete for hours, you get pretty good. My point is to remove it from it's scabard, and swing it around. Get comfortable swinging it and parrying it."

I have never been so totally inspired to cruise into my backyard and play "intruder" with a tree or vine. Seriously, I intend to hack with serial killer precision by my next jaunt south. Also, I challenge any Nomad to cite another mention of a "scabard" in any thread, ever. Ahoy!

2.) I won't go up against someone with a machete unless I have a machete in my hand.

Now Lee, I don't mean to pry and by all means, you don't have to answer, but is this hypothetical or have you really been involved in some machete-on-machete combat? If so, I'll assume you won (or at least managed to hold on to your typing hand).

Anyway, THANK YOU. Great stuff.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:05 PM

Thanks,

Iflyfish when not flailling around my machette!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:06 PM

Uhraaaa!!

or something like that

Ilfyfish when not too tired to do so from practicing with my machette
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin

Now Lee, I don't mean to pry and by all means, you don't have to answer, but is this hypothetical or have you really been involved in some machete-on-machete combat? If so, I'll assume you won (or at least managed to hold on to your typing hand).

Anyway, THANK YOU. Great stuff.

Two items: an expandable baton, at least like I have, is called a Whip Billy. Kinda a flick of the wrist, and it comes flying out from about 1' or so to about 2.5'. It's a great weapon and hurts like heck. But not against a machete.

2nd: I'm pretty good at swinging a machete but that's about all. If I had to use a machete against someone, I'd probably use the dull side of the blade hitting them in the knee cap. I think it's a cultural weapon (lots of 3rd world countries use them (field work) and as weapons), and messy. Not my weapon of choice. But choices are limited if you come up against someone with one.

If you see someone walking your way with one in hand, I'd say start running. They really mean to hurt you.

P.S. By swinging one around in practice, I mean they are not balanced, but top heavy, and meant for cutting. So, practice makes perfect!

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
AVAST, Ye Scoundrels!

I'll brook no dissin' me mighty sword!

Would that be a cutlass, el pirate? In Trinidad and Tobago you would be noted to be "chopped" by a "cutlass" in the local mediums! ;D

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:40 PM
Real life experience----machetes

While camped out at Conception Bay about 25 years ago, we saw 5 Mexicanos with machetes (who were camped out nearby with their families) walk down the beach, machetes in hand, and accost several gringo couples who were hanging out in the nude (not in our group), and convince them to suddenly climb back in their bathing suits with no questions asked. We had no more nudity on THAT beach for the rest of the time we were there.

I have always had a machete nearby when camped out in Mexico----very intimidating weapon, and I have never had any checkpoint folks hassle me for having it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:47 PM

pepper spray is junk...just oil and hot sauce...not effictive in baja

didn't you guys watch "radiers of the lost ark"????
remember when the machate guy goes up against ford....
he just pulled a pistol:lol:

this is GREAT stuff:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:52 PM
B & S-------"Pepper spray is junk"?????

You obviously have never been "hit" with a facial blast of pepper spray------------it smarts, to say the least. :yes:

----but don't try it on bears :lol:
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:55 PM

It also doesn't work at all on some folks in some situations. I don't recommend spraying it indoors in a room full of people!:no:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 05:01 PM

i've sprayed it several times...

every time it mists me in the face and i'm the one down

i've tried it on several street dogs and it has NO effect...they just lick their chops

i just had a guy from the forest service "borrow " some for testing on forest animals...i told him his rangers would be the hardest hit.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i've sprayed it several times...

every time it mists me in the face and i'm the one down

i've tried it on several street dogs and it has NO effect...they just lick their chops

i just had a guy from the forest service "borrow " some for testing on forest animals...i told him his rangers would be the hardest hit.
I think that's why the real preference these days is for pepper foam, not pepper spray.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
I challenge any Nomad to cite another mention of a "scabard" in any thread, ever. Ahoy!
Ummm...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=4895#pid35624

:P

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Does anyone have any experience with the military taking away from you weapons of this sort at checkpoints? I assume they are legal, but just wondering.
As far as the machetes are concerned, I believe they are technically viewed as farm equipment - so I'm not aware of any problems with these at checkpoints.

[Edited on 11-18-2006 by BajaNomad]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 05:20 PM
B & S----------

----what you say is right---pepper spray is generally not effective on aggressive animals other than humans. (not sure why that is)

And, it is really not that effective on meth-heads, and other drug users, because they are not sober enough to even care (or know?) that it is hurting them-----and people who are really mentally out-of-it are hard to put down-------but it works great on the person spraying it if the wind is wrong (as you found out). :lol:

Still, it can be effective if you keep your wits about you stay more or less upwind of your attacker------believe me.

The same applies to MACE.

It IS better than nothing, but you have to use good sense. (training helps)

(I still prefer my machete)
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 05:52 PM

How about using GRIZZLY Spray????

This post by Ranger Rich talks about using a GRIZZLY BEAR size can to ward off them BIG ones. Probably would be much more effective than the little cans used for humans.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19409#pid1700...

Here’s where he said you can purchase it…
http://www.udap.com/product.htm

Here's the specifications for it...it has a range up to 30 feet!!!

http://www.udap.com/Bearspecifications.htm

Amo :wow:

[Edited on 11-18-2006 by AmoPescar]
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 06:04 PM

My weapon of choice:
http://www.jedimaster.net/
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.