Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Boat Seizues B.C.S
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 11:19 AM
boat

I too, would like to hear the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey, says. Apparently they were officials. They certainly took command when they sent out a posse to capture these law breakers.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 11:34 AM

After fishing several of the governor's Cup Tournaments, we had the law explained very clearly as to Mexican Nationals and Fishing Licenses. When a Mexican National is commercial fishing he or she does not need to have a license in possession, but when they are sport fishing, they in fact, do need to have a license in possession. So those of us who have taken our Mexican friends fishing in the past need to take note, if you are sport fishing, everyone needs to have a license in their possession or the boat could be confiscated.
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 02:46 PM

The proposed fine is quoted at $2,500,000 pesos. If there are about 10 pesos to the dollar my math says that's a $250,000 fine. Isn't that a little steep? I'd guess $250 or $2500 would be more likely.

HH

[Edited on 12-8-2006 by howat]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 03:20 PM

Decimal point in the wrong spot ??:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by howat
Why the sympathy for these poachers? For over twenty years i've listen to stories or witnessed in disgust gringos taking shellfish illegally and over limits of fish all over baja with no fear of reprisal. You would think this mexican resource was their god-given right. The nerve of these lawbreakers. Finally the mexican government is doing something constructive about it. Hope PROFEPA keeps up the good work and takes all their boats and gear.

HH

Certainly the purpose of my post was not to seek sympathy.
I am pleased to report that the "poachers", after about a month, yesterday resloved their fine with PROFEPA. Yes they did have shells that were empty and a lobster but no spearguns which are a no no. What complicated this case was that they did follow the agents as directed. The fine paid was $1,400 dollars for each boat which have now been released.
This has been a costly but valuable lesson for all to learn from. The "poachers' realize/admit their illeagal activity that will ot be repeated and are Ok with the fine. It could have been worse......
One more thing a couple of years ago we ran into several PORFEPA agents about 25 miles up Matomi wash. They were friendly but asked why were there and if we were an off road touring business....

Thanks to all who responded...
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 05:37 PM

all is well that ends well. we have all learned from this. after all that is what the Nomad Forum is all about.:bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 05:50 PM

Thanks for the final word. After all is said and done, it seems a reasonable fine. If they would have just followed the "OFFICIALS". The fine probably would have been even less. I remember the last time I ran from the cops in the US. Oh, wait a second, that was Rodney King. :biggrin:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 01:08 PM

I think that is a very just end.

To all those who said they got what they deserved when it was speculated the boats were taken permanently, I think you are absolutely nuts. I hope you don't ever break a simple rule some day and have the Mexican law come down on you with an extremely harsh punishment. And I'm sure you haven't done something in your past either. I'm all for a fine and punishment, just make it reasonable to the offense.

The fact that some of you were glad fellow Baja explorers could have their boats taken makes me sick to my stomach. The actual outcome shows many of you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

And no, I've never done what these fellows did here, and I'm not condoning those acts.

[Edited on 12-9-2006 by JZ]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 01:31 PM

Regarding boat seizures etc. as a result of violating various laws. No problem as long as the public is well advised, educated, informed of the laws and the penalties and the penalty is administered to "All" of those who break them. :tumble::yes:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 02:25 PM

Didn't anyone notice the Lobster on board. I think we all know they are prohibited and you take your chances.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 02:32 PM

Punta Abreojos - October

Local coop fisherman caught lobster poachers (mexican nationals from the south). Panga was burned on the beach, 200hp Yamaha and all.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 02:37 PM

JZ, do you mean having them come down hard on you for something like taking sand dollars or taking a shell that could possibly house a hermit crab? I would imagine that pretty much all of us are guilty of those crimes.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Regarding boat seizures etc. as a result of violating various laws. No problem as long as the public is well advised, educated, informed of the laws and the penalties and the penalty is administered to "All" of those who break them. :tumble::yes:

I've never heard of a place that "I didn't now the law" got you out of anything the arresting official thought was important. Throughout the US it is every person's obligation to know the law and I don't see large campaigns to educate everyone there.

If you're caught smuggling into Mexico by car, your vehicle is impounded till you pay the fine. If you don't pay it, they will start looking for any property you have in Mexico to seize.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 03:24 PM

bajalou! Good point!!:bounce:
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 03:31 PM

JZ, I went back and reread every post. I really don't see where anyone was saying that they SHOULD have all their boats and property seized. Please elaborate. Name names if you must. Quotes work for me.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 04:17 PM

You know who you are. I just wonder if you'll have the same hard a$$ attitudes if you, your kids, or grand kids visiting you in Mexico ever get in to a pinch.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 04:53 PM
JZ------

-----What you refer to as "hard a$$ attitudes" is what makes the "rule of law" work, so I certainly hope that one would feel the same if it were their own kids, or grand kids.

Surely you are not inferring that one would cut some slack to their own kin, and thereby corrupt them, are you?? If you are, then you are corrupt yourself and are "part of the problem, not part of the solution", and teaching your kin to be just like you are.

When will we learn???
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 05:32 PM

That's what I'm saying. I think some of these tough guys will be singing a different tune when it becomes personal. Then they will be wondering why the punishment isn't in reasonable propotion to the crime.
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 06:48 PM

I hope that no one ever gets nto trouble in Baja. I am sure that none of us have every broken any law in the states or Baja. I know I have and as a result spent four very hard, cold and hungry nights in Baja jail. I was very young , stupid and drinking way to much beer. We could not get out until we had an audiance with the Comandate who was out for four days. He told us that we would pay a fine of $ 43.00 and if we did not agree it would take 3-4 months before we could see a judge. We gadly paid, got the car back but only things missing was the cooler and the beer. I learned and resloved never to it again in public and have not....
Now for the end of the boat seizures. My friends were referred by Vagaboudos to an attorney in La Paz who truned out to be worse than PROFEPA and charged them $3,000 for doing NOTHING!!!!!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 06:51 PM

if you brake the law you take your chances. some get caught and some don't some learn from there mistakes and some don't . I think we have all been there and done that. but for me it is better to stay within the law and hope for the best. I was stupid win I was younger but fortunately I survived and have gotten wiser with age.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.