Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Boat Seizues B.C.S
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Now for the end of the boat seizures. My friends were referred by Vagaboudos to an attorney in La Paz who truned out to be worse than PROFEPA and charged them $3,000 for doing NOTHING!!!!!

Not much different then home.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
if you brake the law you take your chances. some get caught and some don't some learn from there mistakes and some don't . I think we have all been there and done that. but for me it is better to stay within the law and hope for the best. I was stupid win I was younger but fortunately I survived and have gotten wiser with age.

Bruce----ain't THAT the truth----for all of us, hopefully. :O
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I was stupid win I was younger but fortunately I survived and have gotten wiser with age.

Yeah, that's the point exactly. I think there are a lot of people like that on this board. What I don't get is everyone slamming the ones who didn't get lucky. I think there's a good bit of hypocrisy going around.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 07:54 PM

we weren't always Lucky ether that is why we got wiser. you cant tell these people not to do those things , they just wont listen but they learn the hard way just like I did. in my opinion these people got lucky, real lucky compared to what could have happened. and my guess is they wont get cough with those things on there boat again and they might even read the rules on boating and fishing in Mexico.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 08:57 PM

OK, here's some questions for knowledgable, law abiding fishermen:

How many hooks are allowed on your "sabaki" baitfishing rig?

OK, now that you have your live bait, how many cabrilla are you allowed to catch with them? How many yellowtail?

You catch a giant squid. Can you use it for bait?

Flyfishers: Can you chum fish close to the boat to cast to?

A man catches, and keeps, one sailfish, two dorado and a cabrilla. Legal?

Score 100%, or you can have your boat siezed until you pay a fine. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.:biggrin:

For answers and surprises see:
http://www.mexfish.com/mexi/mexi/af000806/af000806.htm

[Edited on 12-10-2006 by Don Alley]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 09:45 PM
Again Bruce, RIGHT ON!!!!

I won't go into any details but I spent several nights in the Tijuana slammer back in my youth, and that taught me a great deal-----and they were good lessons. Never, I mean Never, mess with the "officials", even if you KNOW you are right-----go with the flow and learn from your experiences, and then take the consequences of your actions. (But NEVER pay mordida!!!)
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 09:57 PM

Don, what did you discover about kayak fishing?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 10:39 PM

Kayaks are boats; same rules apply.
They need to be licensed as do you if you are carrying a fishing pole or spear gun. With or without fish in the boat.
If you have two people in the kayak and only one pole, you still both need fish licenses.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
OK, here's some questions for knowledgable, law abiding fishermen:

How many hooks are allowed on your "sabaki" baitfishing rig?

OK, now that you have your live bait, how many cabrilla are you allowed to catch with them? How many yellowtail?

You catch a giant squid. Can you use it for bait?

Flyfishers: Can you chum fish close to the boat to cast to?

A man catches, and keeps, one sailfish, two dorado and a cabrilla. Legal?

Score 100%, or you can have your boat siezed until you pay a fine. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.:biggrin:

For answers and surprises see:
http://www.mexfish.com/mexi/mexi/af000806/af000806.htm

[Edited on 12-10-2006 by Don Alley]

1. 4 hooks
2. 5 cabrilla, 5 yellowtail
3. No. A squid is technically a mollusk and not a legal sportfishing catch.
4. No. live bait must be on a hook if placed in the water.
5. No. 1 billfish counts as 5 fish toward a 10 fish limit and 2 dorado count as 5 fish also.

Question.
How many fish are allowed to be caught on live bait?

[Edited on 12-10-2006 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 12:35 AM

Fishbuck,,

Check your u2u.

Thanks,

Iflyfish
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

1. 4 hooks
5. No. 1 billfish counts as 5 fish toward a 10 fish limit and 2 dorado count as 5 fish also.

Question.

Acording to Kira's article, only 2 fish can be caught using live bait, so the answer to #2 is two fish total. But nobody knows that. Maybe Kira and his source are wrong? But we can bet our boats on it.:lol:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
Don, what did you discover about kayak fishing?

Well, I've always known that I needed a license for my fishing yak, and it's been licensed for the last three years. As far as I know the requirement for registration and/or title is only a local requirement although they say the order comes from La Paz so who knows. But I've talked to her twice and she seems to want to help but her boss says no.

You can get these licenses at numerous places in San Diego and they just put "kayak" and the length and color on it.

This time of year it's kinda windy so no rush, but I'll maybe get a licensed mailed down from California (hauling coals to Newcastle!) and I may attempt to register the kayak in Mexico.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Question.

Acording to Kira's article, only 2 fish can be caught using live bait, so the answer to #2 is two fish total. But nobody knows that. Maybe Kira and his source are wrong? But we can bet our boats on it.:lol:

Not true, since we caught the other 8 with jigs and took the left over bait home for the cat. :P:P:lol::lol:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

1. 4 hooks

Question.

Opps! I just lost my boat. What I meant to say was I caught two with live bait and the other eight with dead bait and jigs. And I promise I didn't use live bait even though I still have some in my bait tank. I'm saving those for tomorrow.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Opps! I just lost my boat. What I meant to say was I caught two with live bait and the other eight with dead bait and jigs. And I promise I didn't use live bait even though I still have some in my bait tank. I'm saving those for tomorrow.

OK, after you catch your two legal "live bait" fish, you have to either quit fishing, or kill your remaining live bait. So you don't get caught with three fish and live bait on the boat. And, of course, no throwing your remaining live bait overboard; that would be chumming.:lol:
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 07:21 PM

OK, so what happens to all the people who wisit Shell Beach (Island) I'm sure they don't remove anything. I know I haven't. What who happen if the officials just stopped everyone who came off the beach? They would have way to many vehicles to count.
Just a thought.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 07:56 PM

Gene Kira's article is really interesting in light of the fishing tournament that was held in Santa Rosalia where there was a squid division that several of us participated in and the local PESCA man was one of the officials. :no:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Gene Kira's article is really interesting in light of the fishing tournament that was held in Santa Rosalia where there was a squid division that several of us participated in and the local PESCA man was one of the officials. :no:

From the regulations:
Quote:
This fishing license allows to capture only fin fish. It does not allow to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 10:43 AM

Let's see if I've got this right;
in Mexico the locals think nothing of fishing licenses but when gringos take dead shells they must pay $1400.00?

Quote:
Originally posted by El Comadante Loco
Certainly the purpose of my post was not to seek sympathy.
I am pleased to report that the "poachers", after about a month, yesterday resloved their fine with PROFEPA. Yes they did have shells that were empty and a lobster but no spearguns which are a no no. What complicated this case was that they did follow the agents as directed. The fine paid was $1,400 dollars for each boat which have now been released.
This has been a costly but valuable lesson for all to learn from. The "poachers' realize/admit their illeagal activity that will ot be repeated and are Ok with the fine. It could have been worse......
One more thing a couple of years ago we ran into several PORFEPA agents about 25 miles up Matomi wash. They were friendly but asked why were there and if we were an off road touring business....

Thanks to all who responded...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 10:58 AM
Synch------

---which brings us back to, "when in Mexico, go with the flow", I suppose. :?:
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.