Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: real reel
bajadave1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 05:43 AM

All well and good, but.......................

A PINK REEL??????????????????????????

Merry Xmas.

:lol::lol::lol:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 07:42 AM

Minnow, I understand that you like TLD's but I always buy them in two's, and that way when they break, the kids can tie a string between them and use them for telephones. Kinda went the way of my Zebco's
No Kenny has not shown as of yet but I'm not sure that his parole officer will let him leave the US yet.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 08:39 AM
Rods and Reels...where to begin, where to stop?

Aha...simple.

- Popeil Pocket Fisherman.jpg - 24kB

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 08:49 AM

Summanus, You can believe I have one or two of those.

Pescador, good one. I hope to get out on the water with you one day. Saludos

Ken, parole officer? I didn't even know he was married.:o

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
All well and good, but.......................

A PINK REEL??????????????????????????

Merry Xmas.

:lol::lol::lol:

The pink one is a Chanel, Model #5. I borrowed it from Paris H.
:lol:

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrAvet_colors.htm
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
I guess it is a matter of prefrence. If you gotta have all that gold plating anodize fu fu to make you feel like you can catch fish. Oh Well!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

I never had to quote myself before, but if the shoe fits.:lol::lol:

Just kidding you Don Ally. That is some nice looking tackle. What does one of those fancy pants things run ya?

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 09:02 AM

uh...er..Don Alley? Those are such primo pink reels! I..uh...have a certain 'friend' who really, really likes to catch those funny fishey things. Could he go out with you sometime, maybe? Oh, my Gawd..he will be estatic!!

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I guess it is a matter of prefrence. If you gotta have all that gold plating anodize fu fu to make you feel like you can catch fish. Oh Well!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

I never had to quote myself before, but if the shoe fits.:lol::lol:

Just kidding you Don Ally. That is some nice looking tackle. What does one of those fancy pants things run ya?

I can't tell you what they cost because my wife posts here.:biggrin:
But they are much less than Tiagras and Penn Internationals.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2006 at 09:14 PM

this has been very informitive thank again

jerry and judi
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 08:48 AM

That's not pink.
That's Chartreuse.:biggrin::biggrin:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 09:57 AM
International by Penn

Unless Penn has lightened up the Internationals, I think they are too heavy to use. I like the Shimano TLD series. No worries and low maintenence. I fish light tackle as it is easier on the back and use one speed lever drags. I don't see any need for two speeds---unless you want to grind them up from the bottom. Plus two speed require more maintence. Just my opinion after 55 years of fishing....so no need to take it.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 10:09 AM

I agree on the Penn International Gold's being just too hefty and cumbersome...never felt comfortable with that gear, although I have recommended them in the past for certain uses. Kind of over-kill for most Baja fishing. Lighter gear...both rods and reels...is my choice for these last many years. I cast with a Shimano level wind...and am dead-on to my targets 'almost' every time!;)

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 12:22 PM

OK, how do you cast with a level-wind ??
My Penns won't cast 20' before the level-wind gear slows it to a stop.
I only use them for trolling and jigging.
I gotta pull out my TLD's or a spinning reel for casting any distance.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:23 PM
level-wind casting...

Diver...On level wind v.s. spinning reel....It's not a matter of better, it's a matter of different.

Heavy payloads of five ounces and more are much easier to cast on conventional reels. Conventional reels handle heavy line better than spinning reels, are more sensitive and have more torque. The drag mechanism is usually better than the drag on a spinning reel. And, since most conventional reels have a clicker, they work better with fish finder rigs than spinning reels.

The drag on a spinning reel carries the load of the cast. If the drag isn't set heavily enough to hold the load during a cast, the drag will slip. Your finger gets cut and energy is lost from the cast. That's why regulars using heavy spinning tackle tape their fingertips, to save themselves from line cuts. My fingers are still scarred from my youth. Mono can give you a nasty cut, and braided lines are worse because they're so much thinner. On a conventional reel, the thumb holds the spool. Most casters can hold a heavier load with their thumb than the reel drag can do. For this reason, and for the use of a clicker with fish finder rigs, a conventional reel is better than a spinning reel for fishing bait.

Hope that helps a little...but in the end, it pretty much comes down to individual preferences. I have both ....and use both. Saltwater v.s. fresh is another factor in the mind-boggling equation of man against fish. Viva pesca!

p.s. I never could cast my old Penns worth a hoot!

[Edited on 12-23-2006 by Summanus]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:41 PM

I know about casting with conventional reels. I have a few Shimano TLD's that cast fine. My "levelwinds" are Penns and the gear that moves the level winder thingy back and forth creates too much drag to cast them.
Maybe they need to be cleaned/rebuilt ??
Or just use them for trolling as I have done in the past ?

The only spinning reels in my bag are an old shakespear emergency/loaner rig that my wife likes and a lighter rig for the kids.

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:48 PM

Diver...I have some of my old Pluegers left from my childhood, too...and a couple of Shakespears, metal rods, etc. Great fun to browse through from time to time.

"Levelwinds" It depends on what you're doing. The level wind makes a lot of sense for fishing with lures. Without a level wind, you must spread line back and forth on the spool with your thumb. If you don't have to do that, you'll notice more about the water in front of you. The level wind saves you work. Anglers who fish live bait, or use very heavy mono, or who absolutely have to get that last yard of distance on a long cast, may prefer an open faced reel without a level wind. It's easier to get a really strong grip on the spool without a level wind in the way, so open faced reels are the tool of choice for maximum distance casting.

I'd guess that 90% of all conventional surfcasting is best done with a level wind reel. They are certainly easier to use, so they ought to be preferred, especially if you're a beginner. The loss of distance in casting is small, and the gain in convenience is substantial. It's only when the absolute maximum in distance is necessary that an open faced reel has a substantial advantage, and this is not often the case in the Cortez...when you are out with a 'hi-liner' like some I know.;D

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:57 PM

I must just be a lazy caster ! :lol:
Think I'll try a cleaning for the first time in ...many years.

Thanks for all the explanations; I feel smarter already.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 04:18 PM

Just take a heavy-duty handline with a shock absorber, be sure and wear gloves. :bounce: Reels?:o Who needs 'em.?;)
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 07:26 PM

Speaking of levelwinds...

Good deal this month at Charkbait.com for an Abu Garcia levelwind reel. Free tackle bag!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 07:35 PM

Speaking of levelwinds;

I have a Penn Peer 209 and a Penn Peerless #9 I would let go of cheap if anyone needs some light to medium trolling or jigging reels. Also an Ocean City 922 in good shape for your shelf.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.