Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: la bay land sale
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
PISCO - where did you come up with that handle. Are you Chilean? Pisco is the national drink for Chile. Originated in Peru and commercialized by Chile. Makes great pisco sours. uuuuummm :light:

Here's more info on Pisco...
http://gosouthamerica.about.com/cs/southamerica/a/CulPisco.h...

Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 11:31 AM

This may sound very "unhippieish" but I'm trying to figure out where to buy to capitalize on what appears to be the eventual end of the natural baja so many love and at the same time enjoy the time remaining.

I watched Loreto sit dormant for almost 20 years after Fonatur did its thing and now look at what is happening. I used to surf K38 and then eat lobster at the only restaurant in Puerto Nuevo. Now I can't see the surf through all the condos and Puerto Nuevo and Revolucion Blvd in TJ are much the same.

My favorite long term RVing spot, San Pedrito south of Todos Santos, is now gone.

American bank mortgages on Mexican property and the fact that title insurance is available are the final straws.

Sooooo, I might as well make a few bucks over the next 10 years or so on what appears to be a development boom.

Turning lemons into lemonade???
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 12:46 PM

hey old hippie, welcome to the reality side my friend - can't beat em, can't stop em, can't kill em..........well.......let's not go there!

so join em!

where do i get my manos on some of that there Pisco? i want to try it!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 12:52 PM

Yeah, we have some bozo here in San Lucas Cove who is trying to develop a piece of property that would probably be a good location for a half dozen homes, which would not seriously affect the infastructure to the point of breaking, but my guess is that everyone is caught up in the fever of developing anything and everything that they can. We have watched the change coming and it is alarming at best. Although we had planned on a second house in baja for retirment, we have now pretty much come to the conclusion that the entire peninsula is going to end up going the way of southern California. I especially like the post about inflated land prices, diminishing attractions like fishing and other ocean activities. So it is not that I can not afford to put down roots, it is a conscious decision that I really do not want to be a part of what Baja is becoming. I guess it is that we all have to decide what trips our trigger. I would rather eat thumbtacks without sugar and milk than have to take an ocean cruise, and I feel the same way about having to share the places that I love with thousands of my not so close friends.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 01:09 PM

I agree with your assessment and your conclusions, Jim. It is developing at an alarming rate.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 03:36 PM

I'm a relative newcomer to Baja. First trip to Punta Chivato was in 91 and I've been going back since. I've dragged my boats all over Baja in search of good camping and fishing beaches and I've settled on PC and LA Bay. In the beginning, I used to make great friends that were just like me and the wife (adventurous, camping on the edge, etc., etc.). We enjoyed Baja because it was too tough for most people to get there, or they were scared chitless to venture south of the border. Now Baja has become a destination for folks that should really stick to Waikiki. Look at what happened to Loreto, Shell Beach and now the rumors about LA Bay. It is changing and little I or you can do will slow it down. We will enjoy it while the fishing is still decent. When the fishing dries up we will be gone to other destinations. What the hell...all the new money makes it fun to watch folks backing down at the laughing ramp.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 04:06 PM

Quote:

what a great resort spot LA bay could become if the feds would get behind it. shore line and mtns reminds me of monaco and corsica.

I suppose you could fool a few people if they bought via a brochure and never spent any real time there.

But all it takes is a fairly long set of consecutive days staying there to realize that there are geographic, oceanic and meteorologic occurances that no amount of electricity will mitigate for the average tourist. The fairly common 30-50 kt winds, the ocean temps in the mid 50s and the daytime highs around 115 come to mind. That, more than being off the grid, is what keeps BOLA.....well, BOLA.

I love the place, though.

k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 04:18 PM
true?

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
. We will enjoy it while the fishing is still decent. When the fishing dries up we will be gone to other destinations.

appreciate your comments but do you seriously see such a direct link of this 'invasion' and the available sport fishing (in our lifetime?). I'm no expert and don't know ... I just think appropriate steps have been made in this one regard. (ie minimal industrial fishing within SOC)
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k1w1
Quote:
. We will enjoy it while the fishing is still decent. When the fishing dries up we will be gone to other destinations.

appreciate your comments but do you seriously see such a direct link of this 'invasion' and the available sport fishing (in our lifetime?). I'm no expert and don't know ... I just think appropriate steps have been made in this one regard. (ie minimal industrial fishing within SOC)

Rumor has it (two issues of the Gringo Gazette) that the entire Espiritu Santos island chain near La Paz has been declared a Marine Reserve, and will be closed to all fishing. Pangeros will be trained as guides for eco-tourists. Could be that what will do in the fishing here is not overfishing, but being sacrificed as greenwash for the Mar de Cortez plans and the big developers.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 1-19-2007 at 05:05 PM

You guys don't seriously believe the fishing is getting better, do you? What do you think those hundreds or thousands of yachties and trailer boats (escalera nautica) are going to do? Not to mention the increasing numbers of mainland pangas and seiners that show up daily during the fishing season. Or the Cabo and East Cape type fleets that could establish themselves in LA Bay or Loreto or Mulege as soon as those locations develop as a legitimate tourist destination. The only reason they survive in Cabo or the East Cape is because they are at the beginning of the migration into the Cortez. As Korea, Japan and the entire Far East fish out their oceans they will place more and more pressure (and mordida) on Baja and the east Pacific. Personnally, I look forward to watching some mega-yachts and their pretentious little skippers getting blown aground in a decent chubasco. Hell yeah!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 06:40 AM

Jim i talked to that guy trying to get something going at San Lucas calleta.
his plan is flawed i can tell you - and full of what ifs, holes etc. - way over priced IMHO. don't worry about that deal impending anytime soon. plus, frankly its not the best parcel there either.

now, what WOULD be cool would be to get the military out of the old hotel there and fix up the airstrip adjacent, build a little fly in boutique spot cater to fishermen and have them rent boats and guides from the local concessions. and promote diving and squid "baiting" like Dale www.gonetobaja.com Pearson does.
how's the WX in colo or are you in baja now?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
You guys don't seriously believe the fishing is getting better, do you? What do you think those hundreds or thousands of yachties and trailer boats (escalera nautica) are going to do? Not to mention the increasing numbers of mainland pangas and seiners that show up daily during the fishing season. Or the Cabo and East Cape type fleets that could establish themselves in LA Bay or Loreto or Mulege as soon as those locations develop as a legitimate tourist destination. The only reason they survive in Cabo or the East Cape is because they are at the beginning of the migration into the Cortez. As Korea, Japan and the entire Far East fish out their oceans they will place more and more pressure (and mordida) on Baja and the east Pacific. Personnally, I look forward to watching some mega-yachts and their pretentious little skippers getting blown aground in a decent chubasco. Hell yeah!

No, the fishing is not getting better. It could with good management but I don't see that happening. The Loreto Marine Park has, imo, been a big disapointment, bordering on a tourist trap scam, and if they won't manage fisheries in a national park then where else?

You like seeing multi-million dollar yachts smashed? Shame on you!:lol:
But here you go, from a few days ago in California. Crane accident unloading a brand new $3 million baby, dropped it 100 feet:

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 06:56 PM

Cap'n Mike, we are here for the winter, at least until March. We usually come down in Sept and stay till at least March or April
pisco

[*] posted on 1-20-2007 at 07:51 PM

To reply as to how I chose the handle...No, I'm not Chilean, but we spent the fall down there in paradise and certainly enjoyed our share of Pisco Sours!
abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 05:52 AM

Hey if you have kids, your part of the problem, not the solution. I have a simple formula: People=problems...more people=more problems! How many other species on this earth need police or military to keep everyone in line? I made the sacrifice of not having kids because I saw over population coming a long time ago and have watched one beautiful pristine place after another disappear. There is no stopping it. We are on a run away freight train and there is going to be an eventual global environmental crash sooner or later. Enjoy the last of what was while you can! I am making as much money as I can this time around so I can keep moving insearch of another refuge. I don't know about you guys but I do not want to be old, tired, nearly broke and have nothing to do but watch it happen and complain about it.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 09:41 AM

Sure glad I only have a Coors Can and not a Yacht. Ouch!!!

Pescador- are you in Bahia DLA now? If so, I plan on visiting next month for about 5 weeks. Havea couple of questions:
- are you in a campground or near La Gringa area?
- do you have a satellite dish for tv / internet?
- if so, what is the longitude / latitude for Bahi DLA.
This will make my job alot easier. Had planned on staying at one of the campgrounds.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 09:43 AM

Pisco, where in Chile did you spend time. South / central / northern regions. Did you have a chance to eat at Aqui esta Coco in Santiago?
We lived there for alittle over 5 years. Great place.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 04:03 PM

Baja Lover, no I live in San Lucas Cove, which is just south of Santa Rosalia. I have internet on the beach which is through hughes net. and it works just fine.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2007 at 04:27 PM

No matter what the Mexicans decide to do with their country I hope they will have the good sense to at least set Bahia Conception aside for future generations. It's really the crown jewel of the peninsula and should be allowed to stay that way. Make it a Parque Nacional. It really deserves that recognition (as do all of the Cortez islands).
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.