Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Ski Baja
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 10:05 PM
How much time

do you spend with these Mexicans? The ones that were born and raised here in Baja. Because I certainly disagree with what you are saying about them. Just like we in the U.S. had to learn the consequences of litter and pollution, so are they now doing. The U.S. may have become "enlightened"
first but to tell me what the Mexican people care about is just a little presumptuous in my opinion. And I am not talking about the imported ones that are here to work in the resort areas. I am talking about the real ones who grew up here and truly care about their peninsula.
And quite frankly, it's everybodys problem that uses this peninsula for whatever reason. That's what this education program is about. You use it, you help keep it clean. Just like everyone else with a lick of sense. And it's our jobs to educate the ones that don't.
And Franko, doesn't the fact that even your buddies haven't replied to your post tell you something ?

It's time for a return to Addams Family values!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 11:01 PM
Mike, did you read my last post ?

And if teaching people to keep their environment clean is wrong, or impossible as some imply on here, then I guess I am wasting my time. But I don't think so whether you agree with my primitive techniques or not. (I can't afford billboards).
You would probably be surprised at the amount of support I get regarding these subjects but who cares. I call it the way I see it. Many agree with what I say whether you do or not.
As far as self promotion goes, do you hear me spouting off about the places I've been or read about and pretend to know them and name myself some sort of expert .
I share pictures and stories for everyone whether they agree with me or not. I don't share locations for obvious reasons.
I work closely with the Mexicans down here and I am relaying theirs as well as my feelings. We are all guilty and I expect us all to help remedy the problem. Mexicans and foreigners alike. If some of you can't understand that, it doesn't surprise me.

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2004 at 11:40 PM

Of all the people from el norte that have lived in the out of the way places for extended periods of time Humfreville has to be right there with the top of the old school. You are a blowhard motherflocker. But, I guess, it's good to be a legend in your own mind. To me you're a cartoon and I my "buddies" don't need need to respond. I speak for myself and don't need anyone's affirmations. My opinion is my own and not some aggrandized bullchit that I need everyone else to adopt.
Chris Holmstead
Banned

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 12:01 AM
I've been trying to figrure out

how to respond to SkiBaja, but he's like an eight armed slipery swamp creature and my ex-wife combined, you just can't win the wrassling match and there is no way you're going to get the last word.

I'm glad for Franko and Mike H. who have pretty well covered what needs to be said. I will only add that at first I thought SkiBaja was just out to yank people's chains and couldn't understand why, I now realize that he is serious, something that puzzles me even more.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 01:33 AM
Who is attacking whom?

I find the entire direction of this debate fascinating and sad. We have an entire thread devoted to attacking one user. What I find most interesting, but not surprising, is the personal anger directed at him. If you read his posts carefully, he assails an attitude and way of life that is attributed to Americans in general. (And by the way, he did not invent this point of view. It is a view widely held among many of the world?s people and, although not wholly accurate, much of it has been earned.) Yet, it appears that Americans (yes I?m painting with the same broad brush here) by and large feel they have to defend the honor of America or Americans when someone says something disparaging about us as a whole. Even that is not so bad, but why in the world do we feel we have to do it with personal attacks? Even Mike H piled on which surprised me because I have an immense amount of respect for him just based on what I have read of his writings.

Ski Baja?s posts never start out with you so-and-so you do all these bad things. (There has been maybe one exception that I can recall) But by and large, he speaks about Americans in general, yet people who disagree with his point of view respond with personal insults. (Well, except for the compulsive scripture quote person. What?s up w/that?) If the people on this board are not the ones he is talking about, then why are you all so defensive and feel the need to attack so harshly and disrespectfully. I suspect that many are just as angry with some of the truth in his words and we don?t want to admit that our ?perfect world? in the US has its problems too. Some food for thought: Name what you believe to be the most undesirable cities in Baja. They either border, or very nearly border the US or have major airports that a lot of gringos fly into don?t they. But the same is not true here. Why is that? Hmmmm!

The fact is that most of us would not be Baja travelers (or residents) if we did not agree to some extent about the inherent differences between the general outlooks of people in the two nations. Heck, I live within walking distance of 2 of the world?s nicest beaches, Hermosa and Redondo Beach. There are plenty of challenging off road trails that I can and do explore in Death Valley, the Sierra Nevada, the Mojave Desert and the states of Nevada and Utah. But we know that there is something special about Baja and its people and it is better that what we normally encounter in the States. On a trip in October of last year, I picked up hitchhikers on 3 separate occasions. Something I would never do here. Would most of you let your guard down back home the way you do on the ?Magnificent Peninsula??

JR/Ski Baja is nothing more than a man with a cause that has become his life. The world is generally a better place because of people with causes when they truly care about people. At least he is physically doing something about it and not just whining on some message board about how much things suck. And his tactics do work. I had really gotten to view Baja as my own personal photo studio and Disneyland just get away from it all. I did not try to avoid Mexicans in particular, but began to look for places to get away from all people with my family.

In October of last year, while planning a trip down south, I read Skeet?s and JR?s pleas for assistance for the folks down south who were devastated by the hurricanes. I realized that I needed to give something back to these wonderful folks because they provided a world that I enjoyed so much as a break from the madness of day-to-day city/corporate life. I e-mailed JR and asked what I could do to help. I made a trek to San Javier to deliver supplies at his request and have made true friends for life that I will forever go out of my way to visit and to help.

So common folks, if you really care about this place that we all claim to love, let?s start by showing a little respect for one another. If you have beef with any of your fellow Baja travelers, then let?s settle it the Mexican way over a few cervezas and a shot or two of anejo. I challenge anyone to try and resolve any gripes you may have that way and still walk away mad. I have met Ski/JR personally and I?ll bethcha you couldn?t do the same and walk away with as much anger and hatred as has been displayed sitting at a keyboard behind a monitor.

Feliz Ano Nuevo y Saludos a Todos!

Ken Thomas

a.k.a. Herb
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 02:25 AM

Hey Mike,

by the way, I didn't mean to sound like a Baja snob (or a wine snob). I also consider myself something of a wine connoisseur, but from what I read, such matters can be resolved over box wine as well! Vino es vino y esta bien en qualquier forma! Check your U2U.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 02:29 AM

Sorry, but this reader, lurker and sometime poster has lost ALL respect for the up-until-now esteemable Mike H.

I am surprised at such hostility, Mike. In accusing Ski of being anti-American I think you have revealed an important aspect of yourself. Just because Ski has chosen to venture beyond your safe and insulated world and actually propose solutions for problems he is attacked, and by the least expected individual.

You have obviously succumbed to the need to tidy up opinions and to prune humanity to an accepted range of behaviors. It makes me think of how it is the fate of those who think and act outside of the box of accepted thoughts and actions to fit themselves into the gaps between noisier, blunter lives, where they are gradually squeezed out by small and mean people like yourself.

Hang in there, Ski.
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 08:57 AM

Mike H, you have summed up the individual accurately. You are to be congratulated on your insight.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 09:36 AM
Meaning what you say.

Mike, as far as gaining your respect, I thought I was doing well when you said you weren't going to open my posts anymore. Well, here you are calling names again. Another thing that bothers me about the gringos, you can't believe a word they say. In the "rural" areas I go to, a handshake still means everything. Let alone if you say you are going to do something, you had best follow through.
Here's a suggestion for you clowns. If you really care about the people of Baja
like I do, shut your traps and take them some items. And Mike, I am using too much gas on these "self promotional" delivery trips which is why I have been directing people to take things down themselves.
You girlz may find it hard to believe but so far, 60% of the people that read my babble agree with me and the other 40% are the whiners from this board. Basically meaning you and your little group of BDLA buddies that think they now own this board and are "Baja O fishy o nadas".
You come down here for your vacations and pretend to know what you are talking about when it comes to Baja. I'm sure you have spent more time here than some but still, your short vacations here do not put you in any position to consider yourselves experts. And if you consider spending some time at BDLA being "rural" Baja, I guess you were lucky to get out alive. ****** :lol:

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by BajaNomad]

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 09:42 AM
The flock

Chris, you asked for some advice as to what to do with donations. Why don't you take the advice and shut up!
Those of you patriots who can't accept what I am saying have your heads buried pretty deep somewhere brown. And because of the fact that you all are taking what I say so personally, I guess I hit my target.
Franko, it seems to me that the wrath of Humphreville applies more to you than me.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 10:07 AM

Mike anon

THE LEGS OF THE LAME ARE NOT EQUAL:SO IS A PARABLE IN THE MOUTH OF FOOLS.

Proverbs 26:7
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 10:20 AM
Time with Mexicans

Ski:

You ask how much time I spend with Mexicans, well it's 24 hours a day. My wife was born and raised in Mexico until the day of our wedding, my kids hold dual citizenship. We have been together since 1984.

Don't get me wrong I think your mission is a good and noble mission, but I think your expectations are lofty. I wasn't around in the 50's, when the USA was campaining against litter. I grew up, in the late 60's, 70's and into the early 80's. I still remember the commercial of a tear coming down the cheek of an American indian when trash was thrown out a car window. i vividly remember my parents telling me training me not to litter. I remember my, now 92 year old grandfather telling me not to litter. It takes multiple generations to reach the level we have today. That is my point. But you must start sometime and now is better than tomorrow.

Once again, I don't understand all of the anger and anti- American sentiment. Like it or not this is the greatest country in the world, period. The problems with border towns is not that they are adjacent to the USA. It's is the overpopulation and the lack of infrastucture for the paracaedistas. The simple migratory population makes the people feel that this town is not there home and the are there for a short period of time and end up staying longer thatn they want to.

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 11:06 AM

I would like to thank J.R. for helping me to help the people of Baja who are in need. So many people in Baja have given so much to DH and I - friendship, food, invitations to family gatherings, beautiful and interesting spots to visit... it only seems fair to give back to those in need. For me, J.R.'s travels have been a gift. Even when I cannot personally deliver items, J.R. can. He has excellent resources regarding distribution and always writes to tell me how my $ was spent and who it helped. I have never been dissatisfied. So muchas gracias, mi amigo J.R., for the good work you're doing. (And for those who will criticize our donations to Baja poor, be assured a significant portion of my monthly disability check also goes to charities and the poor in the U.S.)

I too was somewhat surprised, Mike H., by your lashing out at J.R. Although he do be rather opinionated (GBG), he certainly does not deserve the name-calling. And now look what nastiness THAT has brought to this board - a wretched morning read. Take MA's advice, Mike, let it go. Overreaction does not well suit you. But your Baja stories - they're among the best and I look forward to many more, thank you.:)

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 11:29 AM

The pump don't work because the vandals stole the handles.

Bob Dylan
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville
I too think JR does a wonderful thing in supporting the locals of Baja. But there is another, darker side to his personality (mine too. And you?) where he has to promote his own self esteem by putting others down. Most of us love and care for Baja California, each in our own ways.

Yes, Luke, there is a dark side to us all. I just think that putting someone down because you perceive they've put you down is not the best way to go. Pretty soon all our dark sides will be showing... AND WE'LL ALL HAVE TO HEAD TO BAJA TO REGAIN THE LIGHT.;)

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 12:18 PM
If the Huarache fits !

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 01:59 PM

Ski Baja:

The Great White Interloper.... Protector of all things Mexican.... More Mexican than thou..... :barf:

You must be a real :moon: muncher to live next to!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 02:10 PM
With that kind of attitude,

you would certainly find out soon enough, like the rest of the Bozos that came down from LA.:lol:

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 02:24 PM
Forked tongues

Whatever you say Franko.

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2004 at 03:29 PM

Nothing duplicitous in there. Apparently only whatever you say is truth. :moon:.
Maybe there'll be more participation now. As an ignorant guerro I await this column w/baited breath. How come you don't get this level of participation on your own site? That baja S & R is a big hit. You get to exploit the very folks you hate. To qoute *****;":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:".

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.