Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: El Canelo wash
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:33 AM

A few pictures I took on the great trip with Ken, Mike, Andrew, and Gretchen in Jeeps and Wes and Bruce in a desert rail.

Bruce and Wes didn't go as far in as the rest of us as they had little faith in how far we would go. As Ken mentioned, I nad no trouble keeping up with the jeeps - one reason - no hanging shocks, steering stuff or differentials. Just skid-plate from one end to the other.

The jeeps had to pick their routes a little more carefully and we were appreciative of Gretchen walking ahead to scout out some of the areas.

It's quite a canyon - sandy in areas and rockfields with the occasional low rock wall to climb.

Let me know when some more of you want to try it - I'm ready to go----

[Edited on 4-13-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:37 AM

Lou, I am looking forward to seeing on the map how far you guys got, if you can post one?

Too bad the satellite images don't show rocks big enough to stop Jeeps.

Canelo looked promissing for a short cut across Baja!

Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:54 AM

Here is GoogleEarth with our track into the wash. Just barely getting to the High Resolution area.

Still looks like it might be a shortcut to Highway 1 but not a time saver.

Here it is on a topo--

[Edited on 4-13-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

Still looks like it might be a shortcut to Highway 1 but not a time saver.

I will second that. We were out there under the baking sun for most of the day, and I believe we only traveled a few miles in from Hwy 5. With 40" 'Swampers, it would have been much easier, but I have to garage this Jeep every night, and drive it to work every day.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 05:37 PM

The fourth pix down looks like where I stopped when I was on my MC. I saw two MC tracks. Could have been one in and out or two bikes going thru, but they would have been much better riders than me.

I think one of those fat tire type BW200 would work in that place better than a regular MC.

[Edited on 4-14-2007 by TW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 05:50 PM

My brothers and I will be making our annual Baja trip starting Memorial weekend and I think we will try going in from hwy 1 to the mine and check out that end of the arroyo. I'll have my MC, if there is a way to get into the wash I'll see if it's any better or not.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 06:07 PM

Great TW, looking at it from that end wounds great. I agree the fat tired bike would work better at the speeds you have to use here. Some neighbors are thinking of trailering some quads down to the mouth of the wash and trying them.

I believe we passed the last of your tracks. Saw your's as newer than the other pair. Not sure (because of the width of the wash) if we went past the end of them or if they continued.

[Edited on 4-14-2007 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I believe we passed the last of your tracks. Saw your's as newer than the other pair. Not sure (because of the width of the wash) if we went past the end of them or if they continued.

Because it started to get so rocky, it would not seem possible to see any of TWs tire tracks going further up the wash.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 07:38 AM

Wow you guys were right at where the res get good. You were near the second from the left marker labeled Y-gl.

[Edited on 4-14-2007 by TW]

El Canelo 2.jpg - 48kB
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 12:45 PM

TW, How much farther until we reached the mine?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2007 at 10:38 AM

Ken, the first images posted in this thread (page 1) are good to show you where you guys got in the arroyo compared to that mine.

Maybe TW can bribe the miners to do a little bulldozer work when he goes there?:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.