Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Matomi - Prez Day
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 2-11-2004 at 11:10 PM
If I was itching for and offroad adventure.

and was in the area, I would take Canon el parral until it intersects the race course. Picnic there, and check out the cars that come though. (at a safe diststance) Then work my way back, stopping at any interesting spots I saw on the way up. That round trip is about 65 miles, and alot of it is slow going. Add another 45 to do Davids route, much of it on the course itself.:o
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 12:52 AM

Me-No, Parral is how we were going to get to Matomi. It is a beatiful canyon. But no water, palm trees, Indian burial caves (to photograph, not touch), like at Matomi.

At the west end of the Parral road, it is 8 miles south to Matomi Canyon on the Valle Chico road (race course, same direction). Then we would make an 11 mile round trip to Rancho Matomi (not race course). Then follow Arroyo Matomi to Hwy. 5 (27 miles, race course, same direction). Hwy. 5 from Matomi north a couple miles to the old road intersection is also the course. This is all 2 weeks before the actual race.

There is little to do inland for a day trip that doesn't envolve some of the race course. Even the sulfur mine is on the race course.

The next place that has lots to see is Gonzaga Bay, but that is 75 miles/3 hrs. further south. Mission warehouse, onyx springs, Molino de Lacy, Las Palmitas oasis, El Camino Real, Green Pools and turquoise mine, are there for (two) day trips.... But 3 days to go, and 75 miles further south...

There are people coming who do not read Nomad, but learned about it through email connections. Changing to Gonzaga Bay probably couldn't be done at this late point. Anyway, this is the Prez Day Matomi Gang Reunion... It would be odd that Matomi is no longer the main objective. It was Surfer Jim who gave me the idea... He has wanted to see Matomi, but wanted to go with me and waited until I could get free.

We will see how many are comfortable. I do think with a radio man at the back door of our caravan... Perhaps somebody in back of his truck keeping ears and eyes open will allow all of us to pull off the road safely IF any prerunners reach us during the short time we are on the course. This Sunday is not the race, so if a prerunner has to slow down for a minute, big deal.

Thanks for the super kind words Mexray. You are one who knows me well. I wish everybody did. I never had any ill feelings or hostility for those who continue to 'attack' me. I have tried being friends with them all. Meeting them in person or inviting them to my party.

Somehow certain kinds of people cannot understand that I give what I can without needing anything in return. They feel threatened for some reason. They make up lies to get others to follow them.

Sharing my knowledge about Baja is what I am born to do. How many other 15 year olds published a book to help others get to Baja? I am still amazed that Dave Fitzpatrick or Juanita found one after 31 years!!!

I do the information because there are people who need Baja... It cures so many ills. Perhaps instead of DrDrip my email handle should be DrBaja!?! I am still learning about Baja and still have many places to go and see for the first time! An entire life of Baja travel is not enough! So much Baja....

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 01:28 AM

Well, this started out as a simple question with about a dozen responses....and now reminds me of Janet Jackson's Super bowl show...it has taken on a life of its own...I will be doing the MATOMI drive this Sunday as planned ...having a good time...and will look back on the weekend while I am at work and be happy I went...think if we can put a man on the moon that 6-8 vehicles going down a 50 mile road will be an easy task....all things must end and so will this thread...see you in BAJA Friday...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 08:10 AM

Baja Blackie if it's your truck,car or whatever that Desertbull wants to use is OK with me, whether you are driving or someone else is OK. If RM170 is the location that too is OK. I will bring my radar gun and be in San Felipe this Saturday morning, leaving Sunday evening and I will be back on Friday before the race. Whichever time is good for you. I will have $500 cash should I loose and expect $250 from you or Desertbull if I win. To me this is a friendly wager that makes life interesting.

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by TW]
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 08:23 AM

TW, sadly my SF250 trip this year is truncated and I won't be hauling down the toys. Once I crawl out of my favorite and newly christened salt mine, I will definately take you up on this. Perhaps next year, I sincerely hope?

It will be fun and we need to keep this going 'till then or at least a friendly reminder. I hope that you don't mind the delay.

Are you familiar with the fast, wide and smooth section I speak of?

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Baja Blackie if it's your truck,car or whatever that Desertbull wants to use is OK with me, whether you are driving or someone else is OK. If RM170 is the location that too is OK. I will bring my radar gun and be in San Felipe this Saturday morning, leaving Sunday evening and I will be back on Friday before the race. Whichever time is good for you. I will have $500 cash should I loose and expect $250 from you or Desertbull if I win. To me this is a friendly wager that makes life interesting.

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by TW]
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 08:42 AM

TW, you don't need to bring your radar gun, You can just get in the car with Blackie and check out the speed on his dash mounted gps. Much like I did last fall. I know we had that thing right around 100. :lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 08:53 AM
Damn.... i wanted to watch this race wager

hope it does happen, i want side bet action!

anybody who's seen up close what TT's can do on marginally cut up hard pan must agree 100 MPH is achievable! 36" of wheel travel and 750 HP.? come on, get a clue!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 08:54 AM

MexRay, Debra & Mike H,

Did you read this entire thread? In my first post I merely provided a "safety concern" for a group of Amigos that I had "heard" were planning a trip up the race course. Now, after all this banter, I see I truly should have just let it alone.
No intentions to get to this point **************************** ****************************

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by BajaNomad]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 09:08 AM

TW.
Your friendly wager is appealing...only because those that have been there know how easy it is to do a hundie in the Wash...We will make it happen,although no need for a radar gun unless you bring the tuning fork and the latest calibration documents from the factory. Of course, you know radar guns must be calibrated each year for certification. Better yet, I say we strap you in the right seat with your eyes glued to the GPS and when we reach a hundie you say, "UNCLE."

Although, I'm thinking we should make it really worth our while...and raise the stakes to something that hurt's a little when you lose. Now that's a friendly wager:lol:
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 09:12 AM

DB, I think we need to persuade Scotty to take TW for a ride this year. Can you say "130MPH"?

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
TW.
Your friendly wager is appealing...only because those that have been there know how easy it is to do a hundie in the Wash...We will make it happen,although no need for a radar gun unless you bring the tuning fork and the latest calibration documents from the factory. Of course, you know radar guns must be calibrated each year for certification. Better yet, I say we strap you in the right seat with your eyes glued to the GPS and when we reach a hundie you say, "UNCLE."

Although, I'm thinking we should make it really worth our while...and raise the stakes to something that hurt's a little when you lose. Now that's a friendly wager:lol:
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 09:29 AM

Once TW gets a clue what he is in for he won't want no part of any wager. :O

Debra, WHAT HAPPENED? You state you hate mean people and then you get down right mean. You don't really home school your kids do you. OWE UP TO? Please. You are killing me.

The venom should have been for the locos who plan on getting out on an active race course for a sunday drive, yet you focus it on Blackie. WTF.

I''ve saved the senceless comments by the key players here, so if something does happen while you guys and gals are out on the race course, any injured parties will know where to go. Believe me, if someone ruins a 100k plus vehicle because you guys got a case of the dumbass, then sees what kind of warning you had, there will be reprocusions.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 09:40 AM

Blackie,

I'm visiting Scotty at 10:00 am...he's going to laugh at this. Only problem is that he want a split in the wager so we should really crank it up to 5K or so...that might pay for all his race fuel for prerunning and the end of the race and let us buy a night of drinks at the Meeh-Oh-Mar for all...LOL:biggrin:

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by Desertbull]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.