BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Rig Modifications - Nearing completion!
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 07:22 PM

Well, with only 250 mile range on the factory tank, and a need for fuel for the boat, 15 gals of gas seemed like the right choice for me. For the most part, our gear is not that heavy. It is not the total weight that concerns me but the placement of too much weight behind the rear axle. The FJ 60 is a little back heavy to begin with. If I hang too much stuff off the back, then I will not be able to keep the tires on the ground. I guess I will have to keep tweaking..

Thanks for the pointers!
Dan
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 02:12 AM

dshock...

Nice Rig!! I like your choices of modifications!

Regarding your outboard...I know my 9.9 was pretty heavy! I hate to think of having to lift a 25 to the roof or anywhere else for that matter. Maybe you could get ARB to build you a custom outboard mount for the hitch receiver.

Putting your spare on the roof rack might be easier. Or...maybe you could put the spare in your rear deck and build a 3/4" plywood platform to go over it. You can put some carpet on the top of it and could still put some luggage or totes on top of it.

AMO :?:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dshock
Well, with only 250 mile range on the factory tank, and a need for fuel for the boat, 15 gals of gas seemed like the right choice for me. For the most part, our gear is not that heavy. It is not the total weight that concerns me but the placement of too much weight behind the rear axle. The FJ 60 is a little back heavy to begin with. If I hang too much stuff off the back, then I will not be able to keep the tires on the ground. I guess I will have to keep tweaking..

Thanks for the pointers!
Dan

I may have missed it, but why not put a second gas tank under the Toyota? No need for jerry cans to dump into your own tank, just for the boat. My father always had second tanks added to his vehicles and said it was the greatest thing... specially during the gas shortage lines of the 70's, and our trips down Baja when Pemex was iffy.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 07:58 AM

dshock.....Many times in very remote areas in Baja I have run into folks who were towing small and very stout trailers behind Jeeps ot FJ 40s. Maybe some are even on this board and can add to the proper technique.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 09:25 AM

Crusoe...next he'll need an engine transplant...:lol:

That said, the neatest thing I ever saw in Baja in a small trailer was one behind a little Toyota with a removable tongue. If he got stuck, he could un-hitch, reverse the tongue to the rear of the trailer, move the 4x4 to the other end and tow it out with the license plate forward!!!

Pretty cool.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 09:54 AM

Removable tongue, eh? I know some people who should have that feature.

:lol:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 10:39 AM
Baja Rig Modifications...

Nice truck Dshock!
..Been following this thread for a couple of days, as I've been toying (no pun intended!) with the idea of buying an FJ60 myself. Something I'm curious about though: What about the weight issue?
After adding up the weight of the accessories you've added (including the Zodiac/motor combo, and the 3 jerry cans full of fluids.) in my head, I come up with around 800lbs. I tried to be pretty conservative with the weights I'd assigned to the individual items, but that's still a LOT of added weight!
I know you've upgraded the suspension, but I'm thinking that once you load in your "personal" gear (clothing, food, first aid, etc.), you're going to be hauling around at least a half a ton of stuff. I wasn't able to find cargo capacity figures for the '60 on the web, but I'm sure you're getting close to (or over) the maximum weight that you can safely carry.
My last baja-bound truck was a Ford F250, which I bought mainly for it's cargo-hauling abilities (sure wasn't for the gas mileage!). What I'm getting at here is this: Are you upgrading the drivetrain and/or engine to help with the additional weight, or do you think it's a non-issue? Just curious... Cameron
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2007 at 12:43 PM

Cameron,

I think that you have pointed out a real concern. Any time that you add significant weight to a truck, you will have an effect on the handling and ride. In my case, I think that the weight is a non-issue from the stand point of vehicle reliability. The FJ60 is a tuff rig designed to operate in the most rugged conditions on earth - it is also a very heavy truck even in stock form so the additional weight is not as significant. The suspension has been upgraded, and I feel that the payload is well with in the operating design of the truck.

That said, placement of the load, particularly above the center of gravity or behind the rear axle can have significant handling effects. Too much weight placed back on the rig will make it squirrelly, and too much weight too high will make it lean and sway. I have tried to keep this in mind, but I will only know after the first 100 miles if I have done a good job.

Unfortunately a trailer is not a particularly good alternative for my needs. Most of the trailers that you see are military jeep trailers. Due to my location and trip timing, I will not have time to take a 50 year old trailer and prepare it for a trip like this. There are some aftermarket trailers appropriate for this trip, but their prices are astronomical ($4-10k +) and are out of reach for me at this time. At this point, I am just going to have to do the best with what I have. Hopefully through careful decision making and clever weight distribution and loading I will be successful.

Thanks for all the pointers and observations! Keep ' em coming!

Dan
roverdude
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days, Mornings Maybe...

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 01:22 PM

There's good cheapies out there....

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/297641682.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/rvs/302229736.html

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 09:38 PM

So, where, SPECIFICALLY, are you going and when do you leave?

If it's any time in the next 6 months and you are planning on venturing away from the Pacific, you will need a shade shelter. A tent is NOT the same thing; they get too hot unless it has sides that roll up and windows that arent covered with no-see-um mesh.

Also, if you are not going to do any real hard core off roading with deep dips, you could probably get away with a metal carrier on a hitch. I use this to carry my outboard and/or a generator or even my EZ-up, at times. Most will carry a minimum of 500#.

Too bad you cant add a front hitch but it looks like the winch eliminates that possibility. That could alleviate the light front end problem you're talking about.

dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 07:26 AM

Hook,

We are spending 6 weeks on the penninsula leaving the first of June (I know it is not ideal, but it is the window we have available). We have never been before. We are planning to head down the pacific coast, do some surfing and exploring and then bounce back and forth between the sea of cortez where we will do some snorkeling and diving. We are planning to spend a few days in Cabo, La Paz and Loreto along the way. Most of our time will be on the coast, and depending on whether we will see some of the sights interior, such as Mike's Ranch.

We do have an awning coming for the truck - it attaches to the roof rack and is seperate from the tent. It is about 8' x 8'.

Mounting on the front bumper is an interesting idea. I thought about building a mount for it up there. It would keep it low and help to distribute the weight. Something I will have to keep in mind.

I am looking for a 2-stroke 15 hp outboard because the yamaha and johnson are 75 # instead of 105. Currently, it will have to go on the roof or inside the truck. 75# would be a lot easier to get on the roof then the current 25 hp unit.

Thanks for all the tips.
Dan
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 07:45 AM

Also.....if you were interested in saving alot of room and some extra weight you could leave the inflatable and motor at home and pick up a folding type 2 person colapseable kayak. Klepper from Germany makes a nice one and they pack down to 3 small backpack size packages which are easy to stow, are soft and take up very little space. There are many manufactures of these type of small craft. Good luck!!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 08:14 AM

Very nice rig! You've obviously thought it out and done some very nice work to it. No matter what you've done or what else you do, you're sure to have a excellent time in Baja with many, many memories. Likewise, you're sure to find out that there were some things you did to the rig that either didn't work or you didn't need, just as there will be the "Now why didn't I think of that?" moments.

I do think DK nailed it on the fuel issue.... why not install a second tank? Keeps the weight near the frame to help with COG, you don't need the extra cans (maybe one for the boat) thereby increasing storage area for other gear, and it increases your range considerably.

Nice job. Have fun!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 11:18 AM

Heres a link to a hitch vendor that I use. Good prices and a pretty complete website, including downloadable install instructions.

http://www.hitchesonline.com/front_mount_receiver_hitch.htm

Unfortunately, they dont seem to have a pre-fab one for your model of Toyota. But they have a link that shows you the hitch that might possibly be welded up front somewhere.

Notice also the custom mounts for various winches. You might be able to just store your winch on the custom mount in the back and use the front hitch for the metal carrier. Then pull the winch out if you need it. Personally, winches are not much good in many areas of Baja with it's lack of attachment points. We just air down, maybe stick a 2x8 plank under one wheel to get moving and keep going!

I love my front mounted hitch. In addition to the other uses mentioned, it's a great place to transport "dirty" objects like the Weber, charcoal, firewood, OUTBOARD FUEL TANKS (where are you transporting yours?). But a locking exterior mount is probably a better solution for the cans.

Also agree with the DK suggestion about increasing fuel capacity with a spare tank. You're clearly not above dropping some coin into specialty items with all the ARB stuff you've gotten. Maybe consider a transfer pump so you can fill directly into your o/b tank.

[Edited on 4-5-2007 by Hook]

dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 11:53 AM

As discussed previously, I carefully considered an auxilary of extended capacity fuel tank, but decided against it. The only option for the land cruiser is an extended capacity tank that goes in the factory location. The problem is that it hangs down enough that you can no longer store your spare tire in that spot. Because I need to haul two spares, I decided that the factory spot was too valuable to fill it up with fuel. Not to mention, the extended fuel tank was another $800! And, then I would have need to add another swing arm to the rear bumper for the second spare ($700), or throw it on the roof rack which was not desirable.

Unfortanately on the fuel issue, the ship has sailed. Right or wrong I do not have the time or money remaining to change my course. That said, with the fuel and tires in the back, there is not enough room for the rear rack, so unfortunately, though that is a good idea, that is out.

I will consider a front mount for the motor only as a last resort. It will require a lot of modification and will push me up against the time constraints.

So, for right now, the motor IS going on the roof. With the amount of intest and brain power floating around this thread PLEASE help me come up with a really slick way to mount it and load/unload it. I have the front 48" of the rack to work with. It has a solid rail that extends back about 30". I am planning to buy a canvas bag to conceal the contents of the rack that will be 48" x 48" x 16". I would like to put the boat, motor and fuel tank (empty) up there. The motor is the only thing that I can't figure out an appropriate loading methodology.

As mentioned above, I have considered making a 20" x 48" plywood pallet with strigners to support the motor. With handles and the motor strapped to it, I think that I could load it with a little of my wife's help. Comments, questions, concerns about this method? Let me hear 'em!

Oh, and though a trailer is a great idea as well, it is not compatiable with my time and finances for this trip. Maybe next trip!

Thanks,
Dan
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 12:36 PM

There is nothing I like about transporting that thing up on top. But it's looking like your only choice that wont cost you bucks. My wife would not like lifting it and she's not a prissy one. Neither would my back.

Maybe pay two strong mexicans a couple beers/sodas each time you need it put up or taken down? There will always be some around.

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 02:41 PM

Dshock go to www.bajataco.com and find steves rig ,then to camper section use this as a idea bottom back for the motor and top for other stuff if ou are using back seat for passengers modify it ,i did this with my cherokee and i made it easy to remove works little imagination and you can do any thing with it

[Edited on 4-5-2007 by jimgrms]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 03:14 PM

Is it possible to store the motor between the front and back seats, over the drivetrain hump? Maybe create a pallet box that accommodates the hump with some of that two part foam inside it. You could create the box, add the foam before curing, wrap the motor in plastic and set it in to form a mold. Then, remove the engine and cut away any excess plastic that has stuck to the foam.

Then, each time you are finished using the engine, detach the fuel line and run it dry and empty the fuel bowl. Most have a screw for doing this, Have a rag under there to catch the fuel before it leaks out; it'll probably be about an ounce. Even if you end up storing it sideway on the roof, you will have to do this or gasoline will leak on your roof.

What about that back seat? Are you removing it for more room or do others have to ride back there. If it's just you and the woman, ditch the back seat or fold it flat.

Or, figure out other stuff that can go on the rack and keep the engine in the back; the lantern, the stove, the tent, the awning?

[Edited on 4-5-2007 by Hook]

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 09:20 PM

That is an absolutely gorgeous 60!! Congrats! You must be really excited to get going on your trip. That TLC will make for some awesome photo shots on the beaches of Baja. You are lucky to get to try out one of the new (to us) ARB tents. Definitely let us know what your impressions are.

Sounds like your budget is tapped out, but if there is any way you can beg, borrow or steal some solar panel square footage, your fridge will be happy when you decide that you really, really, like that hidden beach you found and want to stay for a week :tumble:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.