Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: NOBS Party
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 10:24 AM
Bob and Susan

I live in El Centenario because I came to Mexico to live amongst the Mexicans, not my ex-neighbors from CA. I think gringo enclaves such as El Comitan tend to be detrimental to the Mexican experience, such as constantly criticizing your neightbors for any little thing. My neighbor's "yard art" is a 72 Dodge "en partes", his business, not my place to judge. I take care of my business to my standards and don't worry about them. So far as gringo enclaves go. I'll paraphrase a Buck Owens tune, "I wouldn't live in Comitan if you gave me the whole damn subdivision."

Markitos: February 21 at 2PM.

Debra: U2U coming later today.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 12:27 PM
Boy, do I wish I could be there, Tucker.

But, alas, I'll be stuck in Tucson, helping the Jrs. with their science fair projects and trolling local businesses for raffle prizes for the school carnival. It's not the kind of carnaval I want to be at, but it'll have to do.

I've got a friend's niece from La Paz living with me right now and she and I are both bummin' that we can't make it to the real Carnaval this year. We got snow in the mountains here last week and she's on Mt. Lemmon learning how to ski right now (we took her to see her first snow ever up there last week), so at least she'll have a few new memories to replace it with.

I agree with you, having lived at your house last summer, that Centenario is a much better place to put down roots than Comitan if you want any Mexican flavor in your life (Don't tell Carol and Wiley I said that! -just kidding!). Centenario is not as pretty or fancy, but it's Mexican, and that keeps the perspective real.

The beach is a little nicer in Comitan if you're looking for deep enough water to swim in and there's a nice little palapa style hotel with an Italian guy who speaks very little english, that makes a mean plate of Lasagna, delicious Italian salad, yummy broiled zuchini, and what's that creamy dessert called?- well it's good too. Tucker can give you directions. If you go, tell him in your best spanish that the fat, hairy legged woman with three kids misses him and his food a lot!

Don't forget to show everyone the way to San Juan de la Costa too, Tucker. I love that area. This time of year the beaches there will be deserted. In the summer, it's a very Mexican beach area. The sandstone (I think they're sandstone, anyway), cliffs that jut up from behind the beach are just gorgeous to look at when the shadows start growing long around 4:00 in the afternoon.

I've always thought this board was too B.C. norte centered. Now that there's a good party in the best part of Baja, I've gotta miss it. Bummmmmmmer. Well, I hope everybody that does get to go has a fun time!

Oh, and last but not least, don't forget to get a good look at the mileage signs of Centenario from the southern entrance till you get out of town. How many miles to Tijuana????????

Enjoy. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 12:48 PM

Tucker; Does the small Store across the Street from you still sell good Food?
Skeet/Loreto
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 03:29 PM
Steph, is this the sign?

They must have removed the conflicting one.

Skeet....a couple of really good mini-supers here.

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2004 at 04:17 PM
Oh, bummer.

The first sign said it was 300 kilometers closer to Tijuana than the one after it. It was too cute.....sorry it's gone. - Stephanie

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2004 at 12:17 PM
Directions and Map

For those of you who need the above-mentioned email me.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Tucker,

Of course you are RIGHT!:lol:

It's still north of La paz...

Well, this is so silly but I am getting notes from Nomads who can read a map, but don't want to ruffle feathers...

From downtown La Paz (Hotel Los Arcos) to El Centenario (Tucker's house) you go SOUTHWEST, NOT NORTH!

To go north from La Paz would take you to Pichilingue and Tecolote (end of the road). La Paz is on the eastern side of La Paz Bay (includes Ensenada de Aripes) on a peninsula that goes north and ends across from Espiritu Santo island.

El Centenario is on the south side of La Paz Bay.
Highway One coming from the north swings around the south side of the bay, past El Centenario and goes northeast into La Paz before heading south again to Cabo.

There now, please stop the u2u and email nagging :) As I said in the first post I made in this thread, El Centenario is on the highway 'north' to Tijuana from La Paz... it just swings southward first... like the freeway 'north' to Ventura, which goes west!

I hope everyone that goes to Tucker's beautiful home has a great time at the NO-BS party, no matter what direction you drive to get there!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 10:17 AM
It's always a source of great confusion of first timers to La Paz.

You be sittin' 'er drinkin' yer Margarita and watchin' eh sunset.....and then all of a sudden, it occurs to you that the sun is setting in the wrong place and west is where east seems like it should be. You either decide to slow down on the alcohol or start looking at a map until you figure out your true location in the bay. We all eventually get it, the geographically challenged, just a little slower than others. - Stephanie

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2004 at 11:06 AM

This Thread is very interesting, reminds me Of having to convince a person that Reno Nev. is further West than Los Angeles, Calif.
there is a thing that La Paz has that I have never seen anywhere in my travels and that is " the most beautiful and different Sunsets !!The "Pearled" effect. Hope you all have a good time! Skeet/Loreto
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2004 at 04:58 PM

DK, bless you for that Ensenada de Los Aripes. This is one of few Indian place names to have survived into our time, but seems to be on the way to getting lost. Map after map--even some in government publications--now shows it as Ensenada de La Paz.

bajalera
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2004 at 05:46 PM

Debra - My point is: I look forward to meeting you and your son at the party--I'm bringing one of mine, too (although he's unfortunately a bit too old to be a playmate).

Bring the magic rocks. What's a magic rock fire, anyway?

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-11-2004 at 06:59 AM
Italian Restaraunt LaPaz

Tucker. Familiar with LaPaz. Could you give the name of the Italian restaraunt please, and a "quick shot" at where it is located. Going down from Loreto soon to LP. Would like to stop by. What is your favorite item there?
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2004 at 08:11 AM
Phil, there are several......

Those of note: The Italian village in in El Comitan, the Jardin de Plato in El Centenario. In La Paz proper; LaPazta, on Allende just off the Malecon. There was one at Marina Palmira, not sure if it's still there. Of course there are others that I'm not familiar with.

My Italian experience consists of home made sphagetti and home delivered pizza from the Big Kajuna chain!

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2004 at 08:16 PM
Last call for sign-ups........

let me know via U2U if you plan on coming! Party is 2/21 at 2PM.

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2004 at 11:06 PM
Tucker

Great party! It was such fun to finally connect real people to the posts I've been reading for so many months. Steve had a good time too, and would like to interview you for his tourism study if you'd be willing.

Meanwhile, when July arrives I'd sure like to sleep on your breezy upper deck. Please send me an application.

bajalera
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2004 at 11:45 PM
You're all wet

"...the third such person to join the board and immediately start attacking me. Do you think that the hens may be behind this cajone less nonsense. I think that some of the Nomads don't have the huevos to say things themselves so they get these junior clowns to state their opinions for them. "

You've got it all wrong. The "so-called" new folks are shocked at your borish behavior. The "so called" old-timers have come to expect and accept this anti-American crap. The realatively new people come with a fresh prospective read it and see how it is dragging the goodness of the board down, they are pretty surprised and angry.

I like how you bad mouthed all the good folks on this board at baja.net a couple months back, but continue to stick around. Funny how your NOBs post got zero responses there.

If people, Baja, and this board don't fit into the exact little box you've made up in "your" mine they are bad.

[Edited on 2-22-2004 by JZ]

[Edited on 2-22-2004 by JZ]

[Edited on 2-22-2004 by BajaNomad]
Tucker
Senior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-22-2004 at 04:40 PM
Lee.....

I agree, it was a very nice get-to-gether. Great people, good food. An excellent mix of gringoes and Mexican folks.

Tell Steve that I would be happy to participate in his survery. I'm listed in the La Paz phone book, 124-6411.

You are right, that upper deck is a great place to sleep in the summer.

Thanks to you and all the others for attending!

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 07:57 AM
JZ

I am wondering why you are cluttering up this thread by bringing up posts from the past. I guess I am flattered by your interest in my posts when I couldn't give a rats arse about what most of you have to say.:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 08:01 AM

JR, are you back home now? Its raining pretty hard in Oceanside this morning. Hope you and Carol get through it okay! Pastrami soon? Let me know when Dave has reopened from vacation.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2004 at 08:11 AM
Hola DK

Nope, I am in El Centenario and I think Carol's flying home today. I have another couple weeks down here at least. Heading to San Bartolo tomorrow and then back into the mountains for more cave photos and some leather items I am having made.
This will be a good trip report when I get back. Lotsa pictures! The last couple days we drove from Punta Conejo to Todos Santos along the beach route. This is a trip I recommend. Shells and untouched beaches, flotsam and jetsom everywhere and some pretty exciting off roading. Definitely remote.
We have been having lots of wind and even rain a few days ago. But, being south Baja, it's all good!
See ya in a couple weeks Amigo. Pastrami time.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.