BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: El Rosario food
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 07:08 PM

We've stopped at Mama's twice. We thought the first time was our bad luck, shame on them. The second time we stopped, shame on me. The food was bland and over priced and the service was slow and unfriendly. We will not stop there again. Heading down again next week and will pass by Mama's.

Can't wait for Baja Cactus restaurant to open. If it is like the motel, it will be outstanding! Suerte, Antonio.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-12-2007 at 07:25 PM

mama's is a relic. why subject yourself to the agravation? it's like coming to america and stopping at mcdonalds for a good meal. like antonio said, there are many different expectations and palates driving through baja.

out with the old and in with the new!!!

btw, last month Bia and i had breakfast at the bed and breakfast after a night at the world renowned "baja cactus, where the baja (going down?:o:lol::?::light::cool:is my wife the only one who made the same translation?) is more than a dream" and the motel was A+++ while the breakfast was good if you were hungry, but i'll look around next time in the interest of spreading the wealth.....

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 05:56 AM
Bocana Beach

#27 on David's map is also one of our stops in El Rosario. Good breakfasts and good serivce. The owner is very friendly and attentive to a near empty coffee cup - my kind of host!

It has always been clean -

Baja's Best - well, we tried it two times and I agree that the pets are a pest when we eat.

John M
dr650
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 03:07 PM
the food

Hello to all,

I'm a new guy here, and I was just browsing around and ran into this discussion about the food in El Rosario. I ate a few meals there this last March, so here's my 2 cents on that subject.

I thought the food at Mama's and at Ed's place was pretty damn good. That was dinner at Mama's and a couple of breakfasts at Ed's.

Me and my friend rode our bikes down and back. We spoke a little Spanish with everybody waiting on us, smiled, and wound up with great service, great food, and great stories. We even got invited back to talk to Mama, and I never been hustled by a nicer lady.

We noticed that some of the Americans at Mama's were not very cool. A couple of fellas were making fools of themselves, drunk, and acting like they were big-time Mr. Baja or something.

We also noticed that some folks were ill at ease, the kind who probably have a problem with the food wherever they go, not because the food is bad, but because they just aren't comfortable with themselves. You know, either the workers got the order wrong, or they had to wait too long for the food, or the rice touched the beans ... or something. Just b-tching all the time. A few Canadians like that, too.

Ed's place was just about the same ... good food, good service, people trying to please.

In short, in my experience, the problem wasn't so much with the service or the food or the animals .... it was with the customers. My advice ... lighten up and enjoy the ride 'cus you ain't in Kansas anymore.

All the best,
Murphy

No pasa nada.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 04:09 PM

Antonio, thanks for the response to Soulpatch.
I was wondering why the service at Tacos de Poblano had gotten so sullen and incompetent.
After good experiences there, our last visit was dreadful...never again.

Unfortunately, the food situation remains very mediocre in El Rosario.
The dream for me would be a Tacos El Sauzal type place and maybe an El Nido sort of affair.

When that happens, I'll be asking Antonio about monthly rates. :yes:

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 04:51 PM

Attitude has a LOT to do with most things...

There are many places to eat in El Rosario besides Mama's and Ed's... There's Primo's, Hugo's, Betty's, and a lot more...

I go to Baja to have fun, relax, enjoy myself, be with friends, explore and EAT. Eating being just one of the many other things...

Look at the big picture! Enjoy Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MoFish
Junior Nomad

Mood: Gonzaga dreamin

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 05:43 PM

Lobster burritos a mamas I would eat em every time I drove by. Maybe Im just easy.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 05:44 PM
El Rosario - ahhhh the night life!!

Couple weeks ago our gang stayed at Baja Cactus Motel, and about 8 of us decided to walk "downtown" and catch the action, and find some fine dining.....
heh, heh, heh,
Well, the walking part is accurate, but I don't recommend this, an hour after dark, it is really an adventure.
And, no food in sight, we wandered for about 30 minutes, then trudged back to Mama's for some mediocre fish tacos.
Earlier in the day lunch at La Mijita went very well, as eleven of us just dropped in and got served a variety of good tacos and wraps. Not great, but pretty good.
Yep (or nope) El Rosario is not the gastronomical mecca of Baja.
Good luck Antonio, the restaurant biz can be treacherous, but given the excellent way you run your other ops. - well, it ought to be a success.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 06:14 PM

I find after stuffing face in San Quintin at "The Palapa" (palapa el paraiso) with Santiago, I'm still full when I get to El Rosario...lucky me by the sounds of it
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 06:32 PM

Highlighted are the eating places, last year... They are stretched along 2 miles of Mex. 1...

Rosario Eats-.JPG - 45kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
I find after stuffing face in San Quintin at "The Palapa" (palapa el paraiso) with Santiago, I'm still full when I get to El Rosario...lucky me by the sounds of it

That's our ticket as well. If we're heading North, we'll just hold out a little longer.

There used to be a small taco stand/house at the corner next to mercado #3 on David's map. That lady was very nice, it felt like we were invited into her home with every stop. We never missed it.

We used to order potato burritos at Mama's for Cody when she was about the size of Soulpatches kiddos. But unfortunatly all the above stated problems put an end to those. She's into el Paraiso now anyway.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 07:27 PM
Tomas

is this the place you refer to in SQ? we hit "la mijita" on the way south to get "into the mood" of "way out there" baja (after all, El Rosario is the last chance for MANY HOURS and depending on when we leave home, it is PERFECT for a late desayunos)......

on the way home we hit up the foto'd spot because we want to savor the best shrimp tacos on the west coast for last....disclaimer-that i know of:P

[Edited on 4-19-2007 by woody in ob]

100_1803 (Small) (Small).jpg - 38kB

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 08:29 PM
Breakfast at Baja's Best this a.m.

Don't know about the rest of the food. Kinda hard to screw up antojitos, I think.

This meal was great! I was starving too, and the Senora complimented me on my Spanish -- that went a long way. Nice dining room. I'll definitely try more food there when I pass through.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
dr650
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 09:43 PM

Hey Soulpatch,

I didn't call you a dick, but your response explains a lot. I can see why you had a bad time.
Try Dennys.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2007 at 10:14 PM
Can you explain "el paraiso"???

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:

That's our ticket as well. If we're heading North, we'll just hold out a little longer.

There used to be a small taco stand/house at the corner next to mercado #3 on David's map. That lady was very nice, it felt like we were invited into her home with every stop. We never missed it.

We used to order potato burritos at Mama's for Cody when she was about the size of Soulpatches kiddos. But unfortunatly all the above stated problems put an end to those. She's into el Paraiso now anyway.

P<*)))><

Her daughter told me two weeks ago that she is in Ensenada, and doing very well.
Do you know something we don't know?
Or do you think of Ensenada as "el paraiso"???
Just trying to understand.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:30 AM

"La Palapa el Pariaso" is a restaurant in San Quintin. Just as you enter town on the west side of the highway. Covered in bouganvilla (sp?) with Mexican flags flying.

When I said, "She's into el Paraiso now anyway" I was refering to my daughter, not Mama E.

sorry for the mixup.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 07:57 AM

Got it... and thanks for the clarification.

There have been rumours at times as to the demise of La Dona, and I just wanted to make sure that was not the case...

Have a great day.;);););)
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 01:24 PM
Woody...

that is not the spot....

If your coming into san quintin from the north, its the first tecate sign on the right.......yuuuuuummmmy!

not as good as it was before they expanded the restaraunt(and he lost all his"talented" waitresses then to!), but still good mariscos from the local waters...

Mero en mojo de ajo=black sea bass in garlic sauce...Delicioso!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
that is not the spot....

If your coming into san quintin from the north, its the first tecate sign on the right.......yuuuuuummmmy!

not as good as it was before they expanded the restaraunt(and he lost all his"talented" waitresses then to!), but still good mariscos from the local waters...

Agree about the quality...and the prices keep going up as well. But, they do have great ceviche.

zac

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2007 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
that is not the spot....

Agree about the quality...and the prices keep going up as well. But, they do have great ceviche.

zac

Agree with the price comment. They wanted $30 for a lobster dinner!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.