Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: I didn't survive hwy 1
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 12:30 PM
I didn't survive hwy 1

This years trip down the Baja was not one of my best. Besides the horrible weather and finding most of my favorite camping spots closed down, or threatening to close down, my worst nightmare happened. I was in a car accident. Just a little south of Maneadero some dipstick in the oncoming lane who was driving faster then he should have (wet road) skidded on a corner and plowed into my Wells Cargo enclosed trailer. The force of the impact was so great that he ripped the wheel right off the axle, ripped the axle right off the trailer, ripped the trailer right off my van (2” ball torn off, hitch bent, trailer coupler cracked and safety chains pulled off). That sent the whole trailer flying about 6' from the road into the ditch, right on top of a boulder, which of course went right through the floor. The trailer had most of my camping gear and my motorcycle in it.

After spending all day with the cops and the insurance adjuster (the other guy didn't have any insurance) I was told they thought they could have the trailer fixed in 5 days (I personally thought it was a wright off). They took the trailer to Ensenada and I headed to Mulege with minimal camping gear to wait out the 5 days and see some friends. After about 2 weeks and many phone calls I realized it was going to take a lot longer to fix the trailer. I headed for the East Cape and Todos Santos where a lot of my friends were. I picked up my wife at the airport and we spent the next month visiting friends and traveling around. Off course I didn't get in any motorcycling which was one of my main reasons for going down.

On the way home we picked up the trailer from a junk yard in Ensenada. Some of their repairs were good but most were just barely adequate. I had to repair the wiring harness in the junk yard to get some signal and brake lights going and I had to tie up the jacks which they didn't fix at all so they wouldn't drag on the road. The good news is that the thing made it all the way back to Canada. I was very lucky as the trailer was in Ensenada for 6 weeks loaded with goodies, and they were all still there when I picked it up.

When something like this happens to you it is very nice to have friends, new and old along the way to help you through it. I would especially like to thank Fred & Florance from Los Barriles and Joe & Corrine from La Rivera. I just cannot thank these guys enough!

Since I have been home I have been after Lewis and Lewis / Qualitas for a little compensation for their shoddy repairs on the trailer. Before I went down I had two new ST trailer tires installed. They were both blown in the accident, but were replaced with a used tire that was 5 years old and a used recapped tire. I also thought it would be nice if they would replace the trailer jacks that are mangled beyond repair. The rest of the not so great repairs I am willing to live with. Since Feb 15th I have sent and received 15 e-mails to and from them. It has been 11 days since my last e-mail to them and have heard nothing back. I have bought insurance from them since 1986 without a single claim. I guess customer loyalty and a good driving record mean nothing. :no:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 12:37 PM

Bummer.
Hopefully, they threw the guy who hit you in jail, for not having insurance....But, I doubt it :no:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 12:43 PM

Bummer, keep us posted on the outcome. Many of us have used Lewis and Lewis, feel free to drop our name if you want! There are many here who shop for insurance when we head south.

Hope next trip the best ever!

Iflyfish
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 01:01 PM

Jack,
So sorry to hear of your nightmare. Such a trip is full of preparations and expectations ....to have that happen puts more than a major damper on enjoying the rest of the trip.

I especially can relate to the disappointment of not having the bike, as fish tacos and good riding are at the top of my "Baja Things To Do List".

Good luck with the insurance guys.....don't settle for less than you think it is all worth.

My last trip down this past December resulted in a dry-bag of gear blowing out of the back of the pick-up somewhere between Orange County and San Diego.....just settled that claim to my satisfaction....small peanuts compared to your situation....

Ged ... in Kamloops, too....and out riding here

:bounce:

Don't believe everything you think....
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 01:06 PM

Sorry that had this experience and I know that dealing with an accident can really be a challenge especially when you are headed to destinations further south. When I lived in Mulege, I had a few friends experience similar situations with accidents that happened on their way down and it can be a big headache.

Most importantly though, you are OK and I know that may be cliche to say but a few years ago on my way back to Mulege after picking someone up at the Loreto airport, we came upon a truly horrific accident where a Mexican family's van (8 people total) had flipped over multiple times. We were part of a group of a few other cars that arrived at the accident just after it happened and tried to help. I will never forget what I saw that day and every time I drive that stretch of the highway I think of that family.

So, I know that it's hard to go through all the hassles of an accident but you are still here to post about it and I'm sure that your family and friends are grateful for that!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 01:08 PM

Yes, keep us posted on the Lewis/Lewis issue.

I personally think that it makes sense to buy insurance through an intermediary club like the Vagabundos or DB, as the insurer must worry about losing the contract with the whole organization if they dont play fair.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 01:20 PM

I've been carrying annual policies with Lewis and Lewis for many years. Count me as another one who will look elsewhere if these guys don't get on track. Keep us informed please. You might consider sending them the URL of this thread!

I'm glad you're OK, but I doubt it is because of "great" insurance. Their's is an entire industry in dire need of a cranial rectumectomy.

I just had my motorcycle insurance quote (by others) :fire:go UP because my dirt bike doesn't have a car alarm or anti-lock brakes. Sheesh.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 04:02 PM
Bear with my mexican response

Thank God you are ok, after reading about the accident I can assure you that someone upstairs or somewere was looking out for you and sent that skidding car to the back twards your trailer and not straight at you head on. Maybe I'm getting to be an old mexican but my abuelita would say that it was all because of the fact that having your motrcycle on your trip would not have been safe and the skidding car was there to prevent you from taking it on this trip.
IMHMO you survived hwy 1, check your U2U.
saludos

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 04:13 PM

I say a FREE sticker for Jack, Fernando! Send him one of mine!

HE WALKED THE WALK ON HWY 1!

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 04:45 PM

how about all of us using Lewis & Lewis e mail them about this sad situation..I think I'll look into insurance through Discover Bajs...any Nomads using their service?

cap'n g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 04:47 PM

I walked away on Highway One, also. rolled the Explorer twice in July, totalled it (a big fear was that they, yes, Qualitas, would try to repair it) My sympathies on your having to go through the insurance circus after the accident trauma. I got to do it with a head injury.

the Tijuana office will ignore you as much as they can. don't quit. don't stop. don't sign anything.

the way to get a response is to go to the Qualitas website. find their 'contact us' spot. email them, 'can't get a response from Tijuana.' I promptly got a copy of their email to TJ office, and a promise someone would get back to me. I got a response and movement from the Tijuana office almost immediately after than. still had to negotiate back and forth but at least they finally started moving.

if you can't find the site, contact me, I think I still have the address of the main office.

Lewis and Lewis was zip help.

bueno suerte. Roberta/Peachy
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 05:01 PM

Very glad you are safe. This thread could be a good evaluation of insurance companies. We use Vagabundos (boat and annual car) and are awaiting settlement of a minor accident in La Paz (actually less than $500 USD). Yours and other posters were much more serious. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Please let us know as future relationships with these companies depends upon their responses to their clients. Above all, however, is that you were not hurt.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 05:33 PM

I think I will start using BajaBound Insurance (one of the Baja Nomads sponsors - see above). At least Geoff has always responded to my e-mails, and I know where to find him.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 06:40 PM

I have had a couple of wrecks in Baja so I'll put my two cents in on this. Unless you want the results like Jack got regarding the repairs, haul it across the border and have it fixed in the U.S. The Mexican insurance co will place a dollar figure on it based on their estimate and that is what they will pay, unless you can negociate more. If it's repaired in the U.S. you will pay the difference, but it will be done right. Been there, done that. If you have U.S. insurance it may pay the difference, check with them.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 08:03 PM

A friend just had a Chrysler mini-van repaired in Mexicali. He was very pleased with the work. He negotiated repairs for a little less than the insurance payment. (Had a lot of front end damage). Was telling me yesterday how happy he was with the work.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 08:16 PM

Very interested to hear what you get resolved... If you got your Qualitas policy from Lewis & Lewis, then why not ask them to do all this for you? I hope it works out okay. I have Lewis and Lewis in my web site as one of three recommended agents. If they don't help you, I will have no problem removing their link!

Baja Bound supports Baja Nomad so they should be considered, and Geoff is a Nomad and wouldn't want any of his Nomad customers to not be happy! Also, many of us go through Discover Baja Travel Club for annual policies and being a club, I would expect Hugh & Carol Kramer to help with any contact problems.

Back when Ken Cooke couldn't get through on the 800 number to notify the insurance company when his Ranger died near the observatory, the Kramers went into action... made the company get a good number... and since then, no longer use that company!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I say a FREE sticker for Jack, Fernando! Send him one of mine!

HE WALKED THE WALK ON HWY 1!

That was what the U2U was for, he earned a free sticker.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 08:24 AM

I want to say, for all my previous postings and dealings on/with Qualitas (Lewis and Lewis) re my accident/settlement, that I am still with them for my remaining car. I had insured both and when the renewal came this year for the surviving vehicle, I did some research and ultimately decided to sign up again.
my experience wasn't the delightful service oriented pleasant and fair one that one definitely does NOT get (either) with companies in the USA. however, the claim was eventually resolved and fairly enough. with the knowledge from accident A, and a low book value vehicle I leave here all year, I feel comfortable with Qualitas. and I know all the Tijuana adjustors by name! the devil you know vs the one you don't in my opinion.

of note I WILL most definitely get medical evacuation insurance this year...anyone have recommendations on who to use for that?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 08:30 AM

ps...Jack, we DID survive Hwy 1. and that's the most important thing. I was quite happy to walk away alive and never looked back. I left the 'stuff' in the back of the car, I left the car in the wrecking yard, it just didn't matter. I was lucky to be alive. and I learned about the kindness of strangers.

'Before you know what kindness really is you must lose things, feel the future dissolve in a moment like salt in a weakened broth' Naomi Shihab Nye

keep your perspective...every day is a new adventure and a blessing.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 10:03 AM
I forwarded this thread to Lewis and Lewis, their response is highlighted below.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 9:00 AM
To: info@mexicanautoinsurance.com
Subject: You have a chance to help yourselves here.....

You should read this thread. Many many other people (customers) have.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24164

Thank you for sending this. I will forward this to Jim Lewis and his assistant Rachel, who act as claims liasons in our office.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.